• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Emitan

ATI cards getting shit performance with a new game is nothing new~

There's a reason I dropped my 5770 when it was still extremely relevant.

RedSwirl

Still don't have a confirmation on the CPU requirement. Has anyone run the game on a quad core clicked as low as 2.4GHz yet?

Also has anyone reported bad performance on HD6xxx series cards?

GooeyHeat

Reposting: does anybody else's game freeze when you take damage? It sounds like a joke, but I'd like this fixed before I rage harder than I need to.

aFIGurANT

My HD6850 with 8GB of RAM on a wimpy i3 is destroying Blighttown atm. Quelaag just destroyed me somehow, though... : *(

I'm only at 1920x1080 with the mod for reference but yeah the boss fight is probably 1.5-2x better visually than on my 360 with the same monitor.

Sullichin

My HD6850 with 8GB of RAM on a wimpy i3 is destroying Blighttown atm. Quelaag just destroyed me somehow, though... : *(

I'm only at 1920x1080 with the mod for reference but yeah the boss fight is probably 1.5-2x better visually than on my 360 with the same monitor.

What's your catalyst version?

Aselith

I started playing with the patch and it looks and plays great on my Athlon Phenom 2 X4 3.2Ghz and Nvidia 560TI.

One thing though...can you change the controller key bindings? I'd really prefer for the dash button to be A and confirm to be B and it doesn't have the option to change controller layout. Anyone know if it can be modified? I tried just reversing the keyboard layout and unfortunately it didn't change it for the controller also.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
So, I killed the black night at the top of the tower behind the dragon...but the dragon isn't there anymore. What's up?

Sounds like Dark Souls, alright. In the console version I remember people mentioning looking at the dragon funny and having him fly away. If you're lucky he fell through the world and it counts as a death. Free 10k souls, or whatever he was worth. Don't sweat not getting the drake sword - you can get pretty damn powerful weapons early on just through regular upgrades.

Or, I guess like others are saying, a display bug. Either way THE REAL DARK SOULS STARTS HERE.

Have you tried resetting steam? I had to do that to get the pre-download to work.
Yea, I already did that and it solved the problem. Thanks, though! Panicked for a little bit, there.

TheExodu5

Banned
It will come back when you get to the bridge again.

So you can't kill him from behind at this point?

GFWL and 30 FPS still suck though...

TBH, it runs so smooth despite being 30fps that I don't really care anymore. Rock solid with no stuttering. Feels better than a lot of 60fps games, to be honest.

Sounds like Dark Souls, alright. In the console version I remember people mentioning looking at the dragon funny and having him fly away. If you're lucky he fell through the world and it counts as a death. Free 10k souls, or whatever he was worth. Don't sweat not getting the drake sword - you can get pretty damn powerful weapons early on just through regular upgrades.

Already got that, just wanted the instant kill from behind. :p

RedSwirl

Good to hear. At this point does anyone think a Q6600 won't handle the game?

I'm a Souls virgin, just beat that first boss in the cathedral... My heart was pounding when I got him down to 1/4 health. Hmmm maybe I'm starting to see what you guys were talking about :)

Btw, is it recommended that I lock on to enemies?

So you can't kill him from behind at this point?

TBH, it runs so smooth despite being 30fps that I don't really care anymore. Rock solid with no stuttering. Feels better than a lot of 60fps games, to be honest.

In the console version, there was a bug where you could kill him from the tower, but it has been fixed.

Aselith

I'm a Souls virgin, just beat that first boss in the cathedral... My heart was pounding when I got him down to 1/4 health. Hmmm maybe I'm starting to see what you guys were talking about :)

Depends on the enemy. There are some bosses where it's better to fight without the lock on. Asylum Demon in particular comes to mind. Smaller enemies I generally lock on to though for easier backstabs.

Orayn

Top selling game on Steam.

iVM7e2za5cEhO.gif

got my patch (Durante you are freaking awesome!), got my fat speakers set up, got 3 hours to kill before i have to be anywhere... here i come dark souls playthrough number 9!

Console versions had broken online for awhile, actually not sure if it was ever really fixed, thought I heard it was.

yeah i had a bunch of easily managed co-op sessions w friends on the ps3 version.

Raxus

Yes. You can lock of when it gets to be inconvenient just pop it off. Lock on is really useful for strafing enemy attacks.

Teknoman

Depends on the enemy type. If you're up against a single enemy, or really close, lock on.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, GFWL is annoying as hell, but the 30FPS thing isn't all that noticeable or bothersome. It's just a matter of principle, so to speak :p

Again, IMHO Durante just singlehandedly doubled the value of the game, and I'd say people should wait a couple days until he finishes it up and treat themselves one of the best games of the generation.

Zeliard

Depends on your play style. Locking on is generally always a good idea even against groups if you're the type of player who circles and moves around a lot, especially as you get enemy timings and rhythms down.

By circling and rolling around frequently as you're locked on, you can keep always keep an eye on your surroundings and keep from being ambushed by an unexpected attack, as well as consistently get into great positions for backstabs and flank attacks. Locking on generally allows you to be much more precise with your attacks and movements.

I lock on with almost every enemy in these games and find it a much more comfortable and effective way to play. Your mileage may vary.

My GFWL doesn't sign in until after I launch Dark Souls from Steam. My controller works.

Well, had to calibrate the controller, so that works, but no pop-ups for Game for Windows. Again, I have little to no experience with Windows Live, but I know I cannot save without it. Any other tips are appreciated =)

Fixed at last...yay!!! I didn't know the old version of GFWL didn't update, and that was the problem.

So is GMG the only way to get a bit more cheaper?

I'm on a shoestring budget at the moment (currently unemployed), but I'd like to give this a try. Is there any way I can get it somewhere less than USD20? Other than those dubious russian keys websites.

Forkball

Oh, so I'm above the giant demon again. Let me just stand here and wonder how I should go about defea-OHSHIT

Also how the hell am I supposed to hit people with the fireball spell? Is there some lock on mechanic?

Top Bottom