• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

epmode

Is it possible to sign in to GFWL while offline? Because if you can do that, I'm pretty sure you can get Dark Souls in offline mode.

Vorg

Banned
Yup, it's one of the best reasons to take it. Not only is the
Watchtower Havel
fight fun as hell, but you get a sweet piece of loot very early on in the game from it.

Also, you can use it to go to
blighttown
right when you start and get the
crimson set and the tin banishment catalyst. The catalyst's melee attack
will kill everything with one hit at the beginning of the game and the requirements to use it are pretty low.

Grief.exe

I had some questions for the experienced dark souls guys.

First time playing Dark Souls ever. I don't want to be spoiled too much, want mostly a blind playthrough.

Have a couple questions though.

I'm missing all the messages on the ground because using Durante's resolution fix seems to cause them issues. Am I missing anything dreadfully important? I know there is some tutorial stuff there, since I'm a new player that could be a problem.

I just beat the Abysal Demon on my first try! Thats probably not too great a feat, but it was funny watching bloodstains for some horrible players. I can't believe people are that bad lol.

How do you use your estus flask quickly? I kept pressing down on the dpad but it wasn't working. I kept having to go into the menu during the boss fight and selecting use.

I am playing through as a knight, I leveled up strength and vitality. What other stats should I focus on?

Varna

I think I just ran into a hacker. Got three backstabs on him and his life bar didn't move an inch.

Gamepad right Grief.exe?

1. You will miss other players giving you tips on secrets or up coming difficult encounters.

2. X on your gamepad with the flask selected.

3. As for your last question... Endurance is super important. I usually raise endurance until it doesn't offer me any more equipment burden. Then Vitality. As for strength and dexterity... don't raise them unless you need them to meet equipment requirements... the stat system favors magic users greatly so only raise high enough to meet requirements.

epmode

Offline mode worked for me by launching the game and disabling my network card as soon as Steam cleared the game launch. GFWL complained that I wasn't online but it still allowed me to sign into my profile. It's not an ideal solution but it works.

I think I just ran into a hacker. Got three backstabs on him and his life bar didn't move an inch.

I have a feeling that there's going to be a lot of this. I wouldn't surprised if From didn't add any PC-specific anti-cheats.

My only hope is that cheaters can't force their way into games that should be closed off (ie. when you're undead).

chiablo

Any reason why the game's option menu only gives me a single resolution option: 720x540? This is with and without the resolution fix.
Fixed this... I had to browse for the DarkSouls.ini (C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\NBGI\DarkSouls) and set my full screen resolution as well as 120hz framerate there.

Also, it doesn't detect my XBox 360 controller at all, even though windows does. And if I press the home key on it, the GFWL overlay pops up. Fixed this... I had my Logitech G13 plugged in and it was using that as the joystick.

Sullichin

Grief.exe said:
Am I missing anything dreadfully important? I know there is some tutorial stuff there, since I'm a new player that could be a problem.

The messages are a really cool aspect of the game, but they're not vital. I say go with the prettier resolution.

How do you use your estus flask quickly? I kept pressing down on the dpad but it wasn't working. I kept having to go into the menu during the boss fight and selecting use.

I am playing through as a knight, I leveled up strength and vitality. What other stats should I focus on?

Press start, go over to equipment, on the right side of the screen you have 5 item equip slots. Put the estus flask in one of those. You press X on the 360 pad to use your equipped item.

Any reason why the game's option menu only gives me a single resolution option: 720x540? This is with and without the resolution fix.

Maybe try toggling fullscreen and windowed mode? Just a guess though

Zeliard

Also, you can use it to go to
blighttown
early and get the
crimson set and the tin banishment catalyst. The catalyst's melee attack
will kill everything with one hit at the beginning of the game and the requirements to use it are pretty low.

Yup. Lots of fun to be had with the Master Key.

I think it's even great for a new player to use to have fun exploring around with fewer limitations. I used it my first time through and had some fun traveling to places I wasn't supposed to be at quite yet, killing
Drakes
with the Bandit's Knife very early on in the game, lol.

I had some questions for the experienced dark souls guys.

I don't really remember what those tutorial messages say. It's mostly basic stuff like how to equip, lock on, etc. The ones later on will be from other players.

And quick use for estus flasks is the X/Triangle button, or equivalent on your gamepad.

Raxus

3. As for your last question... Endurance is super important. I usually raise endurance until it doesn't offer me any more equipment burden. Then Vitality. As for strength and dexterity... don't raise them unless you need them to meet equipment requirements... the stat system favors magic users greatly so only raise high enough to meet requirements.

Every stat has some importance in terms of equipment, spells, and general stats. Don't focus on just a few.

Played for a little bit. Beat the Asylum boss and am at Firelink. I actually beat up a skeleton too! Found a morning star that did pretty good damage.

Now, I just need to find my way to head up top to that first bell. Don't want to go to Blightown first right?

LiK

Every stat has some importance in terms of equipment, spells, and general stats. Don't focus on just a few.

i think focusing on 3 specific stats is good enough altho most new players won't really know which playstyle they like until they've gone through hell.

Zeliard

Played for a little bit. Beat the Asylum boss and am at Firelink. I actually beat up a skeleton too! Found a morning star that did pretty good damage.

Now, I just need to find my way to head up top to that first bell. Don't want to go to Blightown first right?

Depends on whether or not you want to snag a few items, but technically it's meant for later.

And beating up on the skellies is useful at the start. When I first played the game I spent like an hour just practicing backstabs and rolls on the skeletons. It had been a while since I played Demon's Souls, and it's a great way to get in the groove of things.

JVIDICAN

Well, you can get there really early from the back entrance of blighttown.

Getting down there early game is terrible. Long ass deadly trip, and unless you want to trek all the way back up, no bonfire. Plus trying to sprint past the you know what. D:
Never again..

@snapshot MotionJoy is what your looking for.

Raxus

I disagree. Spreading your levels across a ton of stats won't make you as much of a beast as really focusing on a few.

I just don't want people focusing on health and endurance and spreading the love to some base stats so they equip advanced weaponry, you don't need to spend too many points for most of them anyway.

Damn, Durante's patch is working fine, and my MSI laptop is handling it very well so far. Thanks Durante!

Not a bad start either!

DATA2012-08-2322-36-50-19.png

Getting down there early game is terrible. Long ass deadly trip, and unless you want to trek all the way back up, no bonfire. Plus trying to sprint past the you know what. D:
Never again..

Back entrance gets you to the bonfire really quickly and easily, and puts you right near the boss room

edit - think i misunderstood, if you meant getting down to ash lake

oh, oh it's delicious, running fine on my lappy at its native res of 1600x900. started as a warrior which i don't think i've done before, played for about an hour and a half- just long enough to nip round the back way and grab the grass shield, claymore and fap ring. capra demon next :D

Never again..

?? it's just
straight down the elevator from firelink and back up the other tower in new londo, pops you right outside the blighttown back entrance. sprinting past drakes aint so bad, i assume that's what you meant?

Vaporak

Hey Sullichin quick question: your advice didn't seem to help in my case, and disabling Vsync in the control panel didn't disable it in game. Do you actually have Vsync disabled? Like, can you see visible tearing in game?

sixghost

Never again..

You could always just swerve all the bonfires on the way to the
dragon
then homeward bone back to firelink.

I just don't want people focusing on health and endurance and spreading the love to some base stats so they equip advanced weaponry, you don't need to spend too many points for most of them anyway.

Focusing on VIT/END is a really good path to take for beginners. It let's you take some risks to learn the combat system.
oh, oh it's delicious, running fine on my lappy at its native res of 1600x900. started as a warrior which i don't think i've done before, played for about an hour and a half- just long enough to nip round the back way and grab the grass shield, claymore and fap ring. capra demon next :D

?? it's just
straight down the elevator from firelink and back up the other tower in new londo, pops you right outside the blighttown back entrance. sprinting past drakes aint so bad, i assume that's what you meant?

He's talking about getting to the
everlasting dragon

Vesper73

Have a superclocked gtx460, and an i7 at 3.7ghz. Running at 1920x1080 native, (with the glorius patch). The game never leaves 30fps! Good news!

Game looks amazing!

Confirmed: Even Blightown runs at 30fps, (even down at swamp level).

The game must just be cpu dependant, as my 460 isn't anything that special.

Any double dippers touch the new content yet? Most vets should easily be done with the bells and heading towards fatboy slim. I've heard it is accessible after them.

Emitan

Playing as a Pyromancer and I've been putting stats mainly into HP, Endurance? (whatever gives you more Stamina and equip weight) and plan on increasing strength and dex for now. I'd like to be a spellcaster though.

CatPee

Why better though? The mini usb jack on the ps3 is so easy to pull out, it seems like it'd be incredibly easy to pull it out during gameplay.

Some people have issues with setting up the drivers/during usage. It seems like it, but it's never happened to me and I play a decent distance away in comfy bed mode.

sixghost

Playing as a Pyromancer and I've been putting stats mainly into HP, Endurance? (whatever gives you more Stamina and equip weight) and plan on increasing strength and dex for now. I'd like to be a spellcaster though.

Pick either STR or DEX, putting points into both is almost always a waste. They are mainly a stat used for weapon minimum requirements, at least early on.

Yeah I don't know which stats I should be raising, I'm a pyro as well?

Grief.exe

Thanks for the answers guys. Sounds like VIT/END is a good route to give some forgiveness and only pump STR/DEX for weapons. I'll start there, master the system later.

How do I lock on?

And how do I perform a backstab?

What does kindle mean? Or is this asking too much? I don't want to be spoiled.

I'd suggest hitting bare minimums for your weapon requirements. 16 str and 16 dex will be enough to use most weapons... even two hand 24 str weapons like the
zwei
. :)

Xandier

Neo Member
No one has answered my question yet. I imported and ordered the physical copy of the pc version a while and I have yet to receive it, but I heard that it might not activate on steam. Can anyone personally confirm if the physical copy can be activated on steam, or only GFWL?

Orayn

Pyro's spells aren't influenced by any stats, so no need to worry about that. Go with lots of VIT and END if you want to be a melee fighter. How much STR you need depends on what kind of weapon you want to use. For example, elemental weapons = bare minimum points into STR/DEX because they don't care about stats either.

No one has answered my question yet. I imported and ordered the physical copy of the pc version a while and I have yet to receive it, but I heard that it might not activate on steam. Can anyone personally confirm if the physical copy can be activated on steam, or only GFWL?

Pretty sure only Steam and GMG were steam-activatable.

sixghost

For a pyro, END, VIT, ATT, STR/DEX(pick one). STR if you like larger weapons, DEX if you like faster weapons. You don't need many points in ATT early on, since you won't even have enough spells to fill your starting slots. END is the most important stat in the game, it should be your go to most of the time. Put points in STR or DEX only as much as you need it for a minimum requirement to use a weapon you like, VIT is important too.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PIECE OF ADVICE FOR PYROMANCERS:
WHEN YOU ARE IN THE DEPTHS, YOU WILL SEE A MAN TRAPPED IN A BARREL, DO NOT USE YOUR WEAPON TO BREAK THE BARREL, ROLL INTO IT. This is very important.

Thanks for the answers guys. Sounds like VIT/END is a good route to give some forgiveness and only pump STR/DEX for weapons. I'll start there, master the system later.

How do I lock on?

And how do I perform a backstab?

What does kindle mean? Or is this asking too much? I don't want to be spoiled.

Backstabs take a bit of practice before you geta good feel for them. Just run up to their back and attack.

When you go to a normal bonfire your estus flasks refill to 5. Kindling ups this number by 5. The bonfire at the shrine is already kindled. Normally you can only kindle up to 10... But with a special item you can kindle up to 20. Also you must be human to kindle.

Top Bottom