• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Emitan

Pick either STR or DEX, putting points into both is almost always a waste. They are mainly a stat used for weapon minimum requirements, at least early on.

Yeah. I was just trying to raise my DEX to whatever value is considered good enough for most of the game.

On pyro spells... they are affected by one stat. Dexterity reduces casting time for all offensive spells this includes standard sorcery as well. It is very minor and the bonus caps at 40 dex.

Papa

Banned
Pretty sure only Steam and GMG were steam-activatable.

I bought mine from GMG and received a code that I activated in Steam. However, when I launched the game, it made me sign in to GFWL. I also apparently can't access multiplayer because I don't have an XBL gold sub. Is this for real?

Thanks for the stat advice. So I just come across the first person I can buy things off. Should I be spending my souls on things or just finding weapons/armour throughout the game? I've only got a very basic idea of what might be considered 'better'...

JVIDICAN

You could always just swerve all the bonfires on the way to the
dragon
then homeward bone back to firelink.

That's exactly what I did. Still took around 4 attempts! lol
Sorry about the confusion guys, not sure how vague I should be regarding areas and bosses. :p

sixghost

Another pyro tip: you can still move around during the first half of the fireball(or similar spells) animation. It took me forever to realize that.
Thanks for the stat advice. So I just come across the first person I can buy things off. Should I be spending my souls on things or just finding weapons/armour throughout the game? I've only got a very basic idea of what might be considered 'better'...

Aside from a few exceptions, almost every weapon in the game is good enough to use. Pick a weapon based on the type of attack speed you want, and the attack animations. i.e. the claymore isn't the best greatsword statistically, but it's got an awesome heavy attack with a ton of range, which is why so many people use it. It's usually better to spend souls on leveling up or upgrading your equipment. Most people will probably tell you that upgrading your equipment is more important than leveling up. Don't forget to upgrade your shield too, it really helps.

Nabs

I bought mine from GMG and received a code that I activated in Steam. However, when I launched the game, it made me sign in to GFWL. I also apparently can't access multiplayer because I don't have an XBL gold sub. Is this for real?

You don't need Gold on PC.

chiablo

Whaaat? There is no GFWL gold subscription. If you see grey spirits in the world, and messages... you are accessing multiplayer.

TheExodu5

Banned

You don't need XBL Gold to play online. All you need to do is login to your account and enter the game key when it prompts you.

Use your early souls for leveling str and dex to the requirement levels for weapons you want to try and then stick enough in end and vit to make you comfy. Try out weapons before putting souls into upgrading.

Hylian7

Alright, yay, it's midnight and I can finally install this (after restarting Steam to get it to change from "Dark Souls Preorder"), and...

izC70EAm0TsdS.PNG

What the hell is this crap?!

Papa

Banned
You don't need XBL Gold to play online. All you need to do is login to your account and enter the game key when it prompts you.

Oh, that's good news then. I must've misinterpreted the message.

I don't seem to be able to map my mouse - is this intentional?

iNvid02

Alright, yay, it's midnight and I can finally install this (after restarting Steam to get it to change from "Dark Souls Preorder"), and...

http://i.minus.com/izC70EAm0TsdS.PNG

What the hell is this crap?![/QUOTE]

damn that sucks, maybe try switching content servers. steam's upgrade a while back can max my connection during off-peak times which is nice

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Y0NBI.png

sixghost

I have. Runs at 30fps with my superclocked gtx460 and an i7 at 3.7ghz. (using the patch to run at 1080)

That's going to be weird seeing that level at 30 frames locked. My first memory of blighttown was being chased through the shantytown portion by dogs and hollows, falling through the floor like 5 times and miraculously fighting them off with no health and no estus, at about 10 fps.

Vesper73

That's going to be weird seeing that level at 30 frames locked. My first memory of blighttown was being chased through the shantytown portion by dogs and hollows, falling through the floor like 5 times and miraculously fighting them off with no health and no estus, at about 10 fps.

I'm beginning to think that there was just some video memory problem on the consoles, which obviously isn't an issue with modern cards. I get 30fps all over Blightown on a superclocked 460. (Even at 1920x1080). Weird.

I have. Runs at 30fps with my superclocked gtx460 and an i7 at 3.7ghz. (using the patch to run at 1080)

I can live with that. Will get this in Oct, maybe

Worst drop was when coming in from The Depths entrance and cross the first shanty bridge. A goon with the torch pops up from one of the ladders. This pretty much killed the frame rate when I played it on PS3, everything else was sluggish but that was especially bad.

If anyone wants a definitive check, try that.

Holy shite, I just went down this winding staircase and fought this armoured knight with a giant club. He got me in one hit...wish me luck GAF, I have 2000 souls down there :)

Edit: lol, I forgot about this 1 guy along the way and he killed me from behind :)

I think I have the Dark Souls bug, I'm loving it so far.

Vesper73

Worst drop was when coming in from The Depths entrance and cross the first shanty bridge. A goon with the torch pretty pops up from one of the ladders. This pretty much killed the frame rate when I played it on PS3, everything else was sluggish but that was especially bad.

edit

Vesper73

Worst drop was when coming in from The Depths entrance and cross the first shanty bridge. A goon with the torch pretty pops up from one of the ladders. This pretty much killed the frame rate when I played it on PS3, everything else was sluggish but that was especially bad.

I tried crossing that first wooden bridge the New Lando Ruins, (framerate killer on 360), and it was at 30fps as well.

Shinjica

Holy shite, I just went down this winding staircase and fought this armoured knight with a giant club. He got me in one hit...wish me luck GAF, I have 2000 souls down there :)

Oh yeah, you're not supposed to go down there without the master key, try the backstab with him, iit's slow as hell

bomer

Hey all, I came across the message saying "Disasters will stop after the slaying of The Gravelord". Don't remember this in the console version. Also there is a HUGE amount of summons signs around the early bosses, I know it just launched but it was really nice to see. About 2 hours in and up to gaping dragon, planing to go a DEX Washing pole build (I know elemental is better but I do that too often).

edit - Anyone know where you can start the new content?

I'm not sure if I should stick with this hand axe or buy a sword? How can I tell which is better?

Weapons are largely based around animation/fighting style. You can check the damage buy going to equip the weapon again and pressing x to see the full stat page of the weapon. Most early weapons slightly scale based on your stats and some have additional magic/elemental damage. I'd go with feel though, I found battle axes a lot of fun early on. Also I finished an entire playthrough just using Zweihander which can be found in the graveyard section right at the beginning of the game (you may die a few times trying to get it).

I'm beginning to think that there was just some video memory problem on the consoles, which obviously isn't an issue with modern cards. I get 30fps all over Blightown on a superclocked 460. (Even at 1920x1080). Weird.
Someone pointed out in the other OT it had to do with AI path finding and that made sense to explain why Anor Londo for example looks and run so much better.

Damn, no Blighttown slide show will be weird at first.

sixghost

Edit: lol, I forgot about this 1 guy along the way and he killed me from behind :)

If you're up for a challenge, try and fight him. You can take off all your armor since he 1 hits you anyway. It's worth it if you fight through it.

Grief.exe

Ha I did the same thing lol

well i gots to bail now and go do "life" crap, but holy it's still as fun as ever and looking nice(r), running smooth. since i'm still SL7 i dropped a sign in undeadburg and watched the host run straight out to the merchant and kill him. not sure if intentional hah.

Fou-Lu

So how do you solve Game for Windows Live saying it needs to update, but it refuses to update? Just get an error message saying to check your internet connection.

for those who have not seen it mentioned yet:

END IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STAT! IT IS NECESSARY FOR 99% OF BUILDS. IT DETERMINES STAMINA BAR! IT MAXES AT 40!

stamina determines how fast you can run, how many times you can roll, how many hits you can block with a shield, how many weapon swings you can do!

bomer

So how do you solve Game for Windows Live saying it needs to update, but it refuses to update? Just get an error message saying to check your internet connection.

I didn't have the issue but in the game folder there is a Redist folder that has the GFW install, might be worth trying to install that again?

Tetsuo9

You probably have some conecction issue, GFWL is trying to conect and can't.

Top Bottom