• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Shinjica

Hey all, I came across the message saying "Disasters will stop after the slaying of The Gravelord". Don't remember this in the console version. Also there is a HUGE amount of summons signs around the early bosses, I know it just launched but it was really nice to see. About 2 hours in and up to gaping dragon, planing to go a DEX Washing pole build (I know elemental is better but I do that too often).

edit - Anyone know where you can start the new content?

Weapons are largely based around animation/fighting style. You can check the damage buy going to equip the weapon again and pressing x to see the full stat page of the weapon. Most early weapons slightly scale based on your stats and some have additional magic/elemental damage. I'd go with feel though, I found battle axes a lot of fun early on. Also I finished an entire playthrough just using Zweihander which can be found in the graveyard section right at the beginning of the game (you may die a few times trying to get it).

You got invaded by black phantom by the gravelord covenant. Awesome, now it work.

Sullichin

Hey Sullichin quick question: your advice didn't seem to help in my case, and disabling Vsync in the control panel didn't disable it in game. Do you actually have Vsync disabled? Like, can you see visible tearing in game?

Actually, in catalyst v-sync is set to "off, unless application specifies". Don't notice any tearing.

Zeliard

Holy shite, I just went down this winding staircase and fought this armoured knight with a giant club. He got me in one hit...wish me luck GAF, I have 2000 souls down there :)

Edit: lol, I forgot about this 1 guy along the way and he killed me from behind :)

I think I have the Dark Souls bug, I'm loving it so far.

That's one of my favorite fights in the game, when you fight that guy early on. He drops an excellent piece of loot so it's well-worth it, plus it's just a fun challenge.

He will one-shot you at that point, guaranteed. You can parry and riposte him but due to his power it's very risky, and it's better to get backstabs on him since you also won't do much damage to him otherwise. Lock on and continually circle him and dodge-roll to avoid his hits.

Also depends on what class you're playing as, I guess. The Thief's Bandit Knife has nice criticals so getting backstabs can do good damage there. Dunno how magic fares on him since I don't really use magic in these games.

KSai

Timing. With a small to medium shield, hit the parry button before a humanoid enemy's attack and then hit attack as soon as you hear the confirm sound.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't modded anything yet, but I'm actually surprised at how smooth everything runs. I was expecting garbage, but FROM actually did a decent job, it seems--excluding the locked resolution and frame rate.

I can't wait to dig into this game again, but it might be a little bit yet since I'm still playing Sleeping Dogs and Guild Wars 2 is coming out on Saturday.

chiablo

for those who have not seen it mentioned yet:

END IS THE MOST IMPORTANT STAT! IT IS NECESSARY FOR 99% OF BUILDS. IT DETERMINES STAMINA BAR! IT MAXES AT 40!

stamina determines how fast you can run, how many times you can roll, how many hits you can block with a shield, how many weapon swings you can do!

I was wondering how I should build my character, so this is super helpful. Any other stat suggestions?

iNvid02

Not that this game needs it, but did you find a way to enable SLI?

someone on guru3d said sli bit 0x00400005 with AFR is working OK, i havent tried it yet though

ok so im gonna go with warrior + masterkey + stamina maximisation - anything else?

KSai

VITality. You're going to need that life. Weapons have strength requirements but you'll only need to pump the bare minimum for that unless you want to go all out strength and maybe become IRON TARKUS. I love that guy.

Does anyone know if upgrading a Flamberge with lightning removes its bleed effect? I'm planning on wearing all Painting Guardian and using that.

Newcomers should look into getting the Drake Sword

It's pretty darn great for how early you get it
It's good early on and everyone should grab it (well, a bow and arrows) but people should also learn to not rely on it too much.

I'll probably use it and try to get a Balder side sword ASAP, if I'm going for a DEX build. I might try a Mage though.

Ledsen

Is there a non-spoilery guide for new players, one that ONLY helps you with stuff you could NEVER, EVER know just by playing the game normally/stuff that might really fuck up your playthrough if you don't know it beforehand? I want to go in as blind as possible, but I don't want to play 40 hours only to realize my char can't finish the game because of something I didn't know I did. Again, I want as little info as possible, so nothing about which weapons to get, were to go etc.

edit: holy god so many gameplay spoilers in this thread (get this weapon, pump this stat, use this class etc), I'll bail out after I get an answer to this.

None of the newbie tips had any text. Running 2560x1600 fullscreen with the resolution fix. Radeonpro settings copied from a post earlier in this thread.

I'm gonna fuss with settings see if any of these fix it, if anyone knows whats wrong please chime in.

When I press start to equip things/quit/etc there is no text below those menu choices telling me what they do. I can open the hints on the ground but no text appears when the tip pops up.

Anyone having issues with GFWL ought to try logging on to their Microsoft Account manually first. Turned out I needed to verify my account since they figured the security on it was too low and they had actually blocked the account from working for that reason. After verifying it, I had zero issues with GFWL. This, of course, was never stated by GFWL itself whatsoever, so the service is still a complete pile of turd.

Also, does anyone know of any Nvidia inspector settings to force AA with this game? I haven't seen any talk about that, only RadeonPro.

Zeliard

None of the newbie tips had any text. Running 2560x1600 fullscreen with the resolution fix. Radeonpro settings copied from a post earlier in this thread.

I'm gonna fuss with settings see if any of these fix it, if anyone knows whats wrong please chime in.

Known problem, will be fixed in future Durante updates.

Btw those signs outside of the From tutorial tips are also messages from other players if you're playing online.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Holy shite, I just went down this winding staircase and fought this armoured knight with a giant club. He got me in one hit...wish me luck GAF, I have 2000 souls down there :)

Edit: lol, I forgot about this 1 guy along the way and he killed me from behind :)

I think I have the Dark Souls bug, I'm loving it so far.

That guy is absolutely tough as nails, but drops a great ring.
Try and kite him around while dodging his blows, and get hits in when he recovers. It'll take some time but it's worth it.

Deadstar

Not really sure yet what I'm trying to go for. I think a mix of magic and melee. I always go halberd with a heavy shield but I want to try something a little different in this playthrough.

For the guy with the club, what you want to do is try to wait for an opening and backstab him.

Newcomers should look into getting the Drake Sword

It's pretty darn great for how early you get it
You misspelled Balder Side Sword.

Is there a non-spoilery guide for new players, one that ONLY helps you with stuff you could NEVER, EVER know just by playing the game normally/stuff that might really fuck up your playthrough if you don't know it beforehand? I want to go in as blind as possible, but I don't want to play 40 hours only to realize my char can't finish the game because of something I didn't know I did. Again, I want as little info as possible, so nothing about which weapons to get, were to go etc.
I don't think it's possible to completely fuck yourself. You could make a really bad build, but even then a decently upgraded weapon will see you through. Making a new character isn't a horrific thing though. On my first playthrough, I started over 35 hours in because I didn't like my priest's build, but I got back to where I was before in less than 5 (and I was in a much better position once there). Once you know the world and the enemies, your level and class is not as important.

However, there is a lot of excellent content that isn't necessary, but you probably will never see without a hint in the right direction.

Just ask on these threads and you will get non-spoilery advice.

duffey

I have a Radeon HD 5750, does anybody knows if it's enough to run the game?

I'm using a 9800GT 1gb (I know I need to upgrade but that's waiting till early next year) and it's running surprisingly well so I'd suspect you'd have no problems. Have run into a few framedrops but nothing that has lasted for more than a second or two. For what it's worth, I'm also running a somewhat ancient CPU (Q6600 @ 2.4ghz) so take that into consideration as well.

Quick edit: I should also mention that I have not gone into Blighttown and my opinion could change but seems okay so far!

DSix

Banned
Easily. If you've got a decent CPU, you'll be able to crank it way up with the rendering fix in the other thread.

You sure? I was worried when I saw the requirements. A 5750 is kinda low for pc gaming.

My processor is an e8400 @3ghz. It runs Dota 2 maxed quite well.

Ledsen

Since this thread has tons of unmarked gameplay spoilers, maybe I should create a "Dark Souls Spoiler-Free Hint Thread", where you have to use spoiler tags for anything you write that details something from the game that a new player going in blind wouldn't know. What do you guys think?

Since this thread has tons of unmarked gameplay spoilers, maybe I should create a "Dark Souls Spoiler-Free Hint Thread", where you have to use spoiler tags for anything you write that details something from the game. What do you guys think?

Do it. It won't be as lively as this thread, but I'm sure there will be a few that will be happy to answer your questions there.

Sethos

Banned
Since this thread has tons of unmarked gameplay spoilers, maybe I should create a "Dark Souls Spoiler-Free Hint Thread", where you have to use spoiler tags for anything you write that details something from the game that a new player going in blind wouldn't know. What do you guys think?

Ja tak.

I'd love to get some spoiler free help without people shouting THAT BOSS IS ACTUALLY UR DAD! Some 'veteran' players seem keen to help but some of them are just to eager to tell us everything, every big tip, weapon to get, place to go, place to avoid ... All that stuff you need to experience on your own and learn from mistakes.

DSix

Banned
I'm using a 9800GT 1gb (I know I need to upgrade but that's waiting till early next year) and it's running surprisingly well so I'd suspect you'd have no problems. Have run into a few framedrops but nothing that has lasted for more than a second or two. For what it's worth, I'm also running a somewhat ancient CPU (Q6600 @ 2.4ghz) so take that into consideration as well.

Quick edit: I should also mention that I have not gone into Blighttown and my opinion could change but seems okay so far!

Alright, thanks a lot. Maybe the online wont always work, but that's not my biggest worry.

That guy is absolutely tough as nails, but drops a great ring.
Try and kite him around while dodging his blows, and get hits in when he recovers. It'll take some time but it's worth it.

you can also choose to leave it till later when you're a bit stronger if you're not confident enough now. I found the first spawn point to get to him a little frustrating.

yeah me too, want to have the balder side sword but i have no dropluck at all.
It took me a loooong time to get one, then a second one dropped when I was just passing through. If you can farm up some humanity ahead of time it'll help a lot. On the upside, if you save up enough souls grinding for the sword, you can go straight into the forest and grind super fast.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Running this for a few hours on my:

Q9400 2.66GHz
GTX 460 1GB
4GBDDR2
120GB SSD

Aside from the usual problem spots, which chug down to 20-22fps, it runs like a dream mostly. Very few issues at all and already runs better than the consoles so far. I'll report back tomorrow on my other rig's performance.

Still getting used to playing with a 360 pad though, it's a bit of a learning curve. :p And I also wish we could auto-hide the damn cursor on the screen every time we play.

Well I am downscaling to 1080p from 3200x1800.

I am in love. Zero Jaggies. So nice!

Also, this game is too good. I am very much so addicted. Too bad it is so late, I really should play more

Top Bottom