• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Phinor

Nope dude. Master Key totaly break the game. With it you can just go before blightown and get sword and shield wich will drive you through half of game.

If someone plays first time DS they should not get master key.

The good thing about playing the first time, you have no idea where blighttown is, or what sword and shield you are talking about.

Now you might randomly wander upon things you shouldn't have access yet, but I'd put that more in the fun discoveries column rather than breaking the game.

Cheech

The good thing about playing the first time, you have no idea where blighttown is, or what sword and shield you are talking about.

Now you might randomly wander upon things you shouldn't have access yet, but I'd put that more in the fun discoveries column rather than breaking the game.

No, the other guy is right - I broke the game hardcore thanks to Master Key. I ended up, as a new player, going through Blighttown in reverse. I spent hours upon hours in Blighttown because I had no idea where I was supposed to go or what I was supposed to be doing.

That said, Master Key does make the game interesting if you're into more of an open world experience.

Daante

Maby someone find out this time WHAT THE PENDANT IS FOR !?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/11/12/afterwords-dark-souls.aspx

"In interviews leading up to Dark Souls’ release, you suggested that players should go with the pendant starting gift. There’s still a lot of confusion and mystery in the community surrounding what this item affects. Now that the game has been out for a while, care to give any further clues?

Hm.... I am very happy to get this question because this is exactly what I expected. I am very sorry, I cannot tell you here how you use the item. I still want people to try investigating the meaning of the item. Please find it out on your own! [laughs]"

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/11/12/afterwords-dark-souls.aspx

"In interviews leading up to Dark Souls’ release, you suggested that players should go with the pendant starting gift. There’s still a lot of confusion and mystery in the community surrounding what this item affects. Now that the game has been out for a while, care to give any further clues?

Hm.... I am very happy to get this question because this is exactly what I expected. I am very sorry, I cannot tell you here how you use the item. I still want people to try investigating the meaning of the item. Please find it out on your own! [laughs]"

It's nice that there are games that still have secrets. Haha

No, the other guy is right - I broke the game hardcore thanks to Master Key. I ended up, as a new player, going through Blighttown in reverse. I spent hours upon hours in Blighttown because I had no idea where I was supposed to go or what I was supposed to be doing.

That said, Master Key does make the game interesting if you're into more of an open world experience.

Part of the fun is getting completely lost in a strange area with powerful enemies all around you. One of the reasons I love the game.

Kicking enemies of cliffs is a pretty valid strategy in this game. Only downside is that you can't get their drops though.

In this case, he may get his drop, I unintentional pushed an NPC off a cliff and the humanity he dropped appeared where he was standing later when I walked past that same spot.

Lancelot

This is a great game, recommend for all action RPG's fans.

Great textures! Version 0.2 of Durante's RES MOD. You're the best!

renderWidth 4096
renderHeight 2304

Smooth with a single 580 GTX!

picture hosting

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Witcher 2 details on that armor?

Hell if I know...

Bedlam

Yep. I've heard that exact complaint so many times from people who went into the game with the master key.

gdt

This game is absolutely stunning at high resolution. Look at dat armor. A lot of the textures look amazing too.

WTF is wrong with From? Like this, the game will look good, forever.

panda21

i'm super torn on whether it is worth it to get this having played the 360 version up to
the dogs dude boss whoever that is

it looks like it might be better graphically, but it sounds like the frame-rate can get bad? or is it ok?

also the 360 controller walk/run problems are super off-putting.

i'm also kind of worried that now its on PC people will figure out how to invade other people's games with impunity in god mode or something.

gdt

Yep. I've heard that exact complaint so many times from people who went into the game with the master key.

Yep.

That why I recommend saving it for subsequent playthroughs, after you know the intended layout of the game (though its still open in terms of what paths and areas you can tackle).

Shinjica

It seem quite an excuse. The game is 1 year older and still we don't know what that pendent use is.

Can someone please tell me if its possible to play Dark Souls in Windows 8? It crashes on launch here... I'm about to cry.

Edit: needed to sign into Windows Live :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It seem quite an excuse. The game is 1 year older and still we don't know what that pendent use is.
That interview was pretty old though (last year, November).

Caved in and bought this.
3AQmK.gif

Sorry guys, after signing in to XBL on Windows 8, the game does launch but tells me I can only play offline. :(

I checked and I'm clearly signed into Live, what should I do?

In this case, he may get his drop, I unintentional pushed an NPC off a cliff and the humanity he dropped appeared where he was standing later when I walked past that same spot.

I thought they patched the game so enemies that die in the air will drop items on the ground in front of you instead of potentially losing the item. Or was that just for specific encounters?

Edit: Actually the item shouldn't even drop on the ground, you get it automatically in a case like this.

Bedlam

I love the fact that after all this time still no one knows what that thing does.

Tons of mysterious shit got solved with this game but this last little secret keeps the mystery alive. Maybe it's just in the game for that reason and does nothing at all. ;)

Argh being at work is torture enough but now I have to constantly think about Dark Souls and DSFix.2. The game is stunning enough, knowing it will be a delicacy of graphics when I get home is a tough one...

NBtoaster

Ended up today with 23 humanity, 30,000 souls, level 25, and a magic + 5 weapon.

Halfway through the Depths, bad things will happen if I lose the humanity before or by Quelaag :x

arit

Finally got it, but I think it is from a faulty batch since the cover is missing on the box.

yNexX.jpg

Bamco really knows how to piss me off.

SparkTR

it looks like it might be better graphically, but it sounds like the frame-rate can get bad? or is it ok?

The frame rate is fine. You can downsample from 2560x1440 or even 5120x2880 without even getting an FPS hit on midrange systems. I guess there's some issues with some AMD machines though.

Bedlam

So many dark souls/demons souls players say this

The first run is always the best imo
Yeah, I haven't played Demon's Souls yet and after 300hours of Dark Souls, I know the sad feeling of completing a Souls game. I'm really enjoying the fact that there's another Souls game waiting for me.

Mupod

Oh god I forgot how much I love this game. It was rough at first and I had some embarassing deaths because I kept trying to dodge with RB...too much Darksiders 2.

Barely had time to play last night...decided on Sorceror to start with but I'm going to turn it into a dex/faith build with enough int for utility spells. I was a strength build last time and never really got to play with the fun magic stuff. Got my Havel ring, Sword of Astora, and Elite Knight armor last night before stopping.

Current plan is to engage in jolly cooperation at the Gargoyles over and over to stockpile humanity and souls while farming that area for the baller swag sword...the humanity should help with the latter. Then use my souls on upgrades, the door to dickstab forest, and spells. I might even invade a few times too, but I'll be sitting at level 20 for a while.

From there, I dunno what I'll be doing. I never even finished the game before so I have Lost Izalith, most of New Londo and all of Duke's Archives to explore plus the new content.

It's looking and running great downsampling from some insane resolution on an overclocked GTX 580/2500k@4.5ghz.

Taruranto

I meet my first real boss, died in the blink of an eye, lol.

Time to farm some souls and look for someone who sells spells, i guess.

Hypron

Still don't know if I should try this game on my Q6600.

I played the game for a few hours with my Q6700 (it's just a bit more powerful than your Q6600), both at stock frequency (2.66Ghz) and overclocked to 2.9Ghz (didn't make much difference). Without the resolution fix it's locked at 30 fps basically, with the resolution fix it's not. The performance is pretty much on par with the consoles then, but it look so much better I don't really feel like going back to the shit base resolution to get more FPS.

Ha and my graphics card is an HD6770.

Edit: As for my progression in the game, I'm level 35 I think, just in front of Sen's fortress. It's a bit late though, so I'm gonna go to bed and start from there tomorrow morning. I can't wait to try the DLC.

ACE 1991

So did someone figure out how to unlock different resolutions? If so, can you still play online? Can I expect decent frames on my 1gb 6950, 8gb of ram, and i5 2500K setup?

TheExodu5

Banned
So did someone figure out how to unlock different resolutions? If so, can you still play online? Can I expect decent frames on my 1gb 6950, 8gb of ram, and i5 2500K setup?

Please help!

I bought the game on Steam, have Windows 8 CP, and cannot get the game to launch/sign in to XBL.

Please help! I am desperate. :(

Come on guys, at least try reading the OP first. (also, yes, you should expect decent frames on your 6950 setup, though some AMD users are reporting poor framerates, possibly solved by forcing AA/AF in the AMD console).

I meet my first real boss, died in the blink of an eye, lol.

Time to farm some souls and look for someone who sells spells, i guess.

I went straight into Dark Souls from Demon's Souls and the first and second bosses of Dark Souls almost made me stop playing it for good.

Treasured memories ;_;

Come on guys, at least try reading the OP first. (also, yes, you should expect decent frames on your 6950 setup, though some AMD users are reporting poor framerates, possibly solved by forcing AA/AF in the AMD console).

Thats what I first tried, and DOES NOT WORK. :( :( I'll try it again, need to breathe... spent too long on this and was already upset about the shoddy port. Fuck Windows Live.

Maedhros

I played the game for a few hours with my Q6700 (it's just a bit more powerful than your Q6600), both at stock frequency (2.66Ghz) and overclocked to 2.9Ghz (didn't make much difference). Without the resolution fix it's locked at 30 fps basically, with the resolution fix it's not. The performance is pretty much on par with the consoles then, but it look so much better I don't really feel like going back to the shit base resolution to get more FPS.

Ha and my graphics card is an HD6770.

Edit: As for my progression in the game, I'm level 35 I think, just in front of Sen's fortress. It's a bit late though, so I'm gonna go to bed and start from there tomorrow morning. I can't wait to try the DLC.

What resolution are you playing with the patch?

I want to play the game at 720p. Maybe I won't need the patch after all?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
GAF, how bad do you think the game will run on my machine? It's an Athlon 7750 (dual-core, 2.7 GHz), GeForce 9800 GTX+ (512 MB), 3 GB of RAM and Win7 x86 (I know, should have gone with the 64 bits version, but I wanted to make sure I had full compatibility with old software).

I'm afraid I'll get less than 20 FPS most of the time, specially because I'm not planning to buy a new PC till next year or the next one, at least.

Top Bottom