• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

So is there matchmaking or something like it in this game? I remember that being a bullet point on this new version when it was announced.

I think the matchmaking might be referring to the new PVP arena content. I'm hoping summoning works much better in the PC version than on PS3. It worked flawlessly in Demons Souls but no matter what we tried in Dark Souls, it never worked.

I remember reading that they were working on a patch but I stopped playing after about 50 hours into the game, so I'm not sure if they ever addressed it or not. I was going to pick up and finish the game later, after it was hopefully patched, but ultimately I ended up just waiting for the PC version instead.

RedSwirl

I played the game for a few hours with my Q6700 (it's just a bit more powerful than your Q6600), both at stock frequency (2.66Ghz) and overclocked to 2.9Ghz (didn't make much difference). Without the resolution fix it's locked at 30 fps basically, with the resolution fix it's not. The performance is pretty much on par with the consoles then, but it look so much better I don't really feel like going back to the shit base resolution to get more FPS.

Ha and my graphics card is an HD6770.

Edit: As for my progression in the game, I'm level 35 I think, just in front of Sen's fortress. It's a bit late though, so I'm gonna go to bed and start from there tomorrow morning. I can't wait to try the DLC.

My graphics card is an HD6850, and I'd only be running it at 1440 x 900 resolution.

Kade

Video games. If you use this, I will cry.

attachment.php

Is there a way to just copy the install contents to Steam? I don't want to have to redownload 4GB on my slow connection. I've tried:
1. Copying files to the appropriate directory then installing. I asked about the directory structure from a friend who already has it on Steam. Didn't work, Steam still downloaded.
2a. Copy files over the downloading folder, then resuming download. Didn't work, Steam still downloads everything.
2b. Copy files over the downloading folder, but used verify game cache. Didn't work, Steam still downloads everything

drizzle

Axel Hertz
What are the actual use of Humanity, other than Kindle fires and make myself human again?

Do I lose them, like with Souls, when I die? The Items I get are not the actual souls, but a container with them, right?
So, If I use the container, I get one humanity, and if I die and don't manage to "collect my powers" again, I lose that soul?

Should I keep them in the container for any reason? As in, can I trade/sell them for something useful in the future? (from the "trading" merchant table i've seen, I don't get anything useful for them).

Should I just kindle bonfires at will, since I couldn't find any other uses for it?

I accidentaly used my Twin Souls in the middle of a battle and died right after and then died again on the way to go get it, so there's that too.. :D

Finalow

So I just arrived at the firelight place, right after the tutorial, how can I play Co op with my brother?
if the online is like when I played it, you pretty much can't. even if you say "drop it here at the start of level x" you won't see him, I tried so many times with some friends I know and didn't work a single time.
hope they changed it tho.

gdt

What are the actual use of Humanity, other than Kindle fires and make myself human again?

Do I lose them, like with Souls, when I die? The Items I get are not the actual souls, but a container with them, right?
So, If I use the container, I get one humanity, and if I die and don't manage to "collect my powers" again, I lose that soul?

Should I keep them in the container for any reason? As in, can I trade/sell them for something useful in the future? (from the "trading" merchant table i've seen, I don't get anything useful for them).

Should I just kindle bonfires at will, since I couldn't find any other uses for it?

I accidentaly used my Twin Souls in the middle of a battle and died right after and then died again on the way to go get it, so there's that too.. :D

Keep them contained, because if you absorb them and then die, they go down with your souls, and you have to collect them the same way. Same thing with those soul containers you pick up, keep them contained until you want to use them.

At this point, use Humanity to kindle bonfires. You'll have other uses for it later (mainly upping drop rates), and later you'll be able to farm it effectively in a few spots.

Kade

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Humanity

Hold Humanity

-The amount of Humanity held by the player is represented by a number in the top left corner of the HUD. Usually referred to as 'soft' humanity.
-"Holding" Humanity - that is, when you have Humanity on your person (in your Humanity meter) - puts those points at risk. Upon death, your held Humanity will be left with your bloodstain in addition to your Souls, thus increasing the price of dying twice in a row.
-Holding Humanity is not the same as being human - recovering your Human form will cost you one Humanity point from your meter.
-Humanity affects the damage of weapons and spells that do "Chaos" damage. Maximum at 10 Humanity.
-Humanity increases the player's Physical and Elemental Defenses (not Bleed and Poison Resistance), similar to leveling up.
-Humanity increases the player's resistance to being Cursed. Maximum at 30 Humanity.
-Humanity also increases the player's Item Discovery rate, which determines the likelihood of enemies dropping items. Maximum at 10 Humanity.
-At 10 humanity the item discovery rate (no other enchantments or buffs) is 210. (patch 1.05 and non-patched game)
-Maximum Item Discovery rate is 410 and is achievable by holding 10 humanity and using the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring or the Symbol of Avarice .

Use Humanity

-Humanity is used to revive to Human form, or to kindle Bonfires.
-Regaining Human form costs one Humanity point, which you must spend at a Bonfire.
-You may choose to "Kindle" any bonfire by spending a Humanity point there, while you are already Human. Doing this will increase the maximum number of "swigs" your Estus Flask recovers from staying at that fire.
-Human form will allow players to summon Phantoms for help and guidance on their journey.
-Human form will allow players to invade another player's world.
-Human form will also leave the player open to invasions by hostile Black Phantoms.

Earn Humanity

-Humanity can be earned by playing as a Phantom, and helping to kill an end-level boss.
-Humanity can be earned by killing bosses.
-Humanity can be earned by killing Evil Spirits (invading players), or by invading and killing a player in another world.
-Humanity can be earned by having your hint sign up-voted by another player. ( however this humanity will go straight to your held humanity, thus upon dying it will be lost.
-Humanity can be earned by killing a large amount of monsters in one area if the boss is alive (up to 10 Humanity).
-Dying, using the bonfire, or leaving the area does not reset your monster kill count for that area.
-Humanity can be bought from Undead Merchant (Female) and Patches the Hyena.
-Humanity can be found, as a dropped consumable item, from some killed enemies.
-These consumables can be stored, just like other items, and will not be lost if the player dies.
-Rats, Octopus-Headed Guards and Skeleton Babies drop humanity items.
The three consumable humanity items are:
-Humanity (Acquire one humanity)
-Twin Humanities (Acquire two humanities), not dropped by regular enemies.
-Firekeeper Soul (Acquire five humanities), not dropped by regular enemies. ( This will void it from the ability to upgrade your estus flask.
-Consuming a humanity item will also restore the player's health.

Lose Humanity

-Humanity is lost upon death, with one chance to retrieve it, if the player can reach the bloodstain where death occurred.
-However, even though a player can lose their humanity after death, this can easily be prevented if the player has a Ring of Sacrifice equipped, he/she will keep their human form and all their humanity. See Ring of Sacrifice page.
-If the player dies in Human Form, he/she will also respawn in Hollowed form, or as an undead.
-Hollowed form has detrimental effects on the player, but does not decrease maximum health.

TL;DR It does a lot of things.

Does GFWL even prevent the pirates from using their service and going online? If pirates are able to get online AND there is a trainer available that works online, walking around in human form will be virtually impossible.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Thank you about the tips on Humanity.

I guess if I get two humanity (from upvoting or anything), I should Kindle them, since I'll lose them anyway.

I'll keep the flasks for a later date.

zkylon

zkylewd
Video games. If you use this, I will cry.

attachment.php
That's fine by me, as long as it doesn't work online. What do you care if people cheat in their private offline game?

(those options sound like they ruin your game though. Just reducing the damage from all enemies would be enough for most people)

gdt

I guess if I get two humanity (from upvoting or anything), I should Kindle them, since I'll lose them anyway.

I'll keep the flasks for a later date.

Flasks replenish at bonfires. Use them up when needed.

slight spoiler
later, you'll be able to carry/replenish more

Kade

That's fine by me, as long as it doesn't work online. What do you care if people cheat in their private offline game?

(those options sound like they ruin your game though. Just reducing the damage from all enemies would be enough for most people)

It works online.

Finalow

it's not actually the best way to go. If that is a crucial bonfire then yes, kindle it. if not try to summon somene and if you really wanna "cheat" you can easily avoid black phantoms: look at the bonfire, if the flame is gone then someone is invading you, so get the fuck out, exit. then go in again and look again for people to summon. At least this was working when I was playing it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Guys, don't cheat.

Maybe some of you are just defending the idea or are too scared to play naturally but please believe me that the payoff for struggling through the game and getting to the point where you actually feel powerful and accomplished is almost unparalled in any gaming experience I've ever had. I really believe that a lot true power in Dark Souls comes from your ability to react to and counter the unknown through the skills you build as a player rather than through grinding or obtaining omni-potenet items. The game really isn't even that hard! I could see someone turning to cheats with Ninja Gaiden but seriously all Dark Souls needs is patience and determination. Even if cheating is the only way you can see yourself playing you are really destroying 75% of what it means to play the game. You might as well watch a Let's Play.

It's shameful. Don't ruin the experience for yourself.

I don't know what From will do about the online if anything. My bet is on nothing and so random invasion/pvp will be almost unplayable because people are pathetic fucks, which is unfortunate.

If people thought the 360 was bad with modders, then PC will be overpopulated with them. To the point where the game will be straight dominated by modders. If modders find a way to invade hollowed players then consider the game dead unless you plan on playing offline which kills the great co-op/PvP experience that makes DkS amazing. :(

I don't know if I can dodge spoilers enough til Nov 16th for the 360 DLC.

Grief.exe

If people thought the 360 was bad with modders, then PC will be overpopulated with them. To the point where the game will be straight dominated by modders. If modders find a way to invade hollowed players then consider the game dead unless you plan on playing offline which kills the great co-op/PvP experience that makes DkS amazing. :(

I don't know if I can dodge spoilers enough til Nov 16th for the 360 DLC.

Wishful thinking here. But won't modders die off after a couple weeks or so?

Cheaters usually lose interest in a game faster then legitimate players.

Guevara

I feel like in a few years because of all the PC exploits people will forget how difficult and challenging Dark Souls is. "Dark Souls isn't that tough, I totally one-shotted O&S in my first playthough with my +999 zweihander".

Hmmm.. Now that the resolution issue is fixed, I'm tempted to get this.

I don't have a gamepad so I know others have said the mouse+keyboard controls aren't great but how bad are we talking about? Resident Evil 4 PC port bad? I think thats the only PC game I've played where I've found the mouse+keyboard controls completely unplayable. I can usually adapt and cope with everything else.

And would a wired 360 controller be the best controller to get for this?

So basically, I think the only thing holding me back from getting it now is the controls, and then GFWL and how bad the hackers are. I've never played a Souls game but I'd hate to have it ruined by dumb hackers.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
it's not actually the best way to go. If that is a crucial bonfire then yes, kindle it. if not try to summon somene and if you really wanna "cheat" you can easily avoid black phantoms: look at the bonfire, if the flame is gone then someone is invading you, so get the fuck out, exit. then go in again and look again for people to summon. At least this was working when I was playing it.

If I'm sitting on two soft humanities (on the counter on the upper right), what I'm supposed to do? It's the first time I'm playing the game, I'm going to lose them in the next 2 minutes.

Might as well kindle that bonfire.

Anyone else having a weird issue where starting the game takes like a minute where it just freezes? Pretty annoying but I haven't seen anyone else complaining about it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
1-handed claymore. oh yeah baby...

Put a Black Knight Broadsword in the other hand. Now you're playing with power.

Actually, is that even possible? I remember equipping two two-handers once, but i'm not sure if it's possible to wield without falling over all the time.

Finalow

If I'm sitting on two soft humanities (on the counter on the upper right), what I'm supposed to do? It's the first time I'm playing the game, I'm going to lose them in the next 2 minutes.

if you don't own the stone or whatever for playing in co-op yet then yes, kindle it.

Wishful thinking here. But won't modders die off after a couple weeks or so?

Cheaters usually lose interest in a game faster then legitimate players.

You would hope so, but that is only for offline games. When modders are grieving other players then they get near endless joy from it. The hate mail feeds them and if they figure out a way to invade hollowed players then there is nothing to stop them. Even without that they will still be ruining the co-op experience because doing co-op opens you up to invasions.

Jagxyz

Yea, kindling is the best use, unless you are planning to farm.

Put a Black Knight Broadsword in the other hand. Now you're playing with power.

Actually, is that even possible? I remember equipping two two-handers once, but i'm not sure if it's possible to wield without falling over all the time.

Yep, you just need enough strength / dex to 1 hand the sword (32 / 18 for the black greatsword)

Green Man Gaming always denies my PayPal and Credit Cards...

Are you in the US? I have to contact my credit card company every time I want to make a purchase from them because the card company blocks the transaction and I have to give them permission to let the transaction go through.

iNvid02

im getting the hang of this now, quite fun so far

some things that have stood out were "BUT, WHY?" when i
decided to put that knight out his misery, those 2 words hit me deep man

and also this guy, just standing there with his back turned was freaky. i managed to finish him and take his shield

Foffy

Banned
I asked this a few pages ago, so I figured I'd ask again; does anyone know how to unlock the new areas? I don't have
the Lordvessel yet, but I am not sure if having the ability to teleport accesses these areas from the bonfires.

im getting the hang of this now, quite fun so far

some things that have stood out were "BUT, WHY?" when i
decided to put that knight out his misery, those 2 words hit me deep man

and also this guy, just standing there with his back turned was freaky. i managed to finish him and take his shield

Lucky enough to have his shield drop eh? That shield will do you well for the rest of the game. I know a lot of end game vets who swear by that shield. Especially for the fire resist.

Top Bottom