• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Hoo-doo

Banned
Best console game of the generation, more like.

tumblr_m2y3xmXhFT1qm09tc.gif

Severely tempted to get my hands on the PC version. Is greenmangaming still rocking the best deal currently, with the discount key?

mxgt

Banned
Just spent like 20 minutes chipping away at Havel and I slip up once and insta dead

Feels bad man, I will get my revenge

mxgt

Banned
Go take a swing at the big black knight underneath the bridge if you want some distraction and a neat ring.

He isn't too bad, I take him out without too much worry most playthroughs. Especially as pyromancer.

Havel isn't really hard, I just accidentally backed into one of the walls and he got me.

Zeliard

Is it worth spending a little time farming early areas?

Farming is technically useful in that you build up game currency used for upgrading stats, buying items, etc, along with trying to snag specific drops, but you really don't want to overdo it. You can trivialize the game's difficulty by over-farming.

He isn't too bad, I take him out without too much worry most playthroughs. Especially as pyromancer.

Havel isn't really hard, I just accidentally backed into one of the walls and he got me.

Everything is easy mode with attack spells ;)

Fight him melee for a real treat. He one-shots you so you really have to be on your toes.

DSix

Banned
In the end I think I will buy the PS3 version instead. I waited it out, but with my so-so PC and the reports of online trainers and unreliable AMD performances... I will not tempt it too far, especially when I have a console that can run the game in its native form.

No pc demo, no buy.

I have seen several people state that the Xbox 360 (wired) Controller for Windows is around $20 - $25. However, it appears to be $40 everywhere I look. Was the price previously misquoted, or am I just looking at the wrong product/wrong stores?

Deadstar

Near 10k concurrent just on steam. I think it sold near as many petition signatures.

I really think this game will be a slow burn. People will realize how awesome it is and it's going to grow and grow like it did on the consoles with Demon's Souls. For pc gamers who don't have a console, this is an incredibly unique game.

Grief.exe

So I rang the first bell at the undead parish.

Where is the best place to go now? I'm back at the starting area when you first get to Lordran, I head down the stairs and fight the regenerating skeletons. Am I heading in the right direction?
That one pull with 3 skeletons and one huge one is tough.

First play through so I don't want too many spoilers.

Sullichin

I'm looking to get into the gravelord covenant ASAP. Anyone know where to find a divine weapon early on or have any tips for getting down there?

There's a shortcut in the catacombs, right before the first bridge, you can drop off a ledge and land right by the titanite demon area entrance. No divine weapon required. I'm sure there's plenty of videos showing it but if you look around, you'll see where to drop from.

FtHTiny

Are there really no summons going on in Anor Londo for S&O?
Havn´t got summonend for 15 min now and can´t see any sign on the ground. Wth

Deadstar

Where is the best place to go now? I'm back at the starting area when you first get to Lordran, I head down the stairs and fight the regenerating skeletons. Am I heading in the right direction?

What you need to do is go back to the church where you fought the gargoyles. You find an item near the giant gate you open up that will let you access the next area you should be going to. You want to go to the lower undead burg area which is underneath the first area you fight on leading up to the first boss. Tried to be somewhat vague here, let me know if you want to know exactly where to go.

F1B07414C793C6E9CCFA6B603804FC04C81C4071

I am fully prepared to defend my Crestfallen Bro until death! That Scimitar will turn into a Furyblade one day. Aside from that, I sure like the look of this character.

Having trouble signing into GFWL (surprise surprise).

It keeps saying either my email or password is not recognized but it's definitely right, and I can log into the marketplace outside of the game.

Deleting a profile just deletes it from the machine right? Thinking of deleting it and trying to retrieve it again.

Tesseract

Banned
I posted this a couple of times but this thread moves really fast --

Overwriting application settings in catalyst, moving every AA slider up to max, with Durante's mod on fixed the framerate for me for my HD7870, it seems like the GPU doesn't get used like it should unless you really crank up the settings. Hope this can help others as I was incredibly dissapointed last night, and now am soaking in supersampled Dark Souls glory.

Unfortunately the framerate is ass when I try to record with FRAPS, but oh well.

Started my character over 3 times. I think the achievements are bugged. I just got the "Arrive at Lordran" achievemen t when I did it with my third character even though I rang both bells twice now.

Going to go with a DEX/FAI character, started as a thief. I see plenty of new players, I love it! Summoned someone for the gargoyle fight who was using a drake sword. He got one shot before I could heal him. Definitely going to chill around the burg and help out new players.

excellent, this appears to have resolved my issues. much obliged. i forced max core clock and memory targets to prevent further underclocking while playing. 30 fps rock and solid.

cheers

zkylon

zkylewd
It's been top 3 for like a week, even with all the controversy. By the time of the first sale Durante will probably have made a proper port out of it and they'll get sweet juice out of it, ARMA-style.

Grief.exe

What you need to do is go back to the church where you fought the gargoyles. You find an item near the giant gate you open up that will let you access the next area you should be going to. You want to go to the lower undead burg area which is underneath the first area you fight on leading up to the first boss. Tried to be somewhat vague here, let me know if you want to know exactly where to go.

Aw ok. So instead of going upstairs to the Taurus Demon in that tower, you go down the stairs?

I already opened that up with the master key lol, I didn't go down though because there is a tough enemy.

Nah, that's the wrong direction. That area is for later on.
You want to start going to The Depths.

And despite what some say, I wouldn't fight that "tough" enemy now. He's a one hit killer. I wait until way later, when my pyromancy is fully powered.

SalomonA

So, any comparision between m + kb vs 360 controller? Is it even playble with the first option?

Also, I'm a bit worried about the 30fps limit. Is any modder trying to fix this, or is it not just that big of a deal?

EasyMode

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/596979776372883288/F1B07414C793C6E9CCFA6B603804FC04C81C4071/[IMG]

I am fully prepared to defend my Crestfallen Bro until death! That Scimitar will turn into a Furyblade one day. Aside from that, I sure like the look of this character.[/QUOTE]

Crestfallen dude looks like he's admiring your threads. I'd be crestfallen too if all I had was boring chain mail.

gdt

Open a door in Undead Burg, by the bonfire

gdt

So, any comparision between m + kb vs 360 controller? Is it even playble with the first option?

Also, I'm a bit worried about the 30fps limit. Is any modder trying to fix this, or is it not just that big of a deal?

The game at 30fps is really smooth. No stuttering or anything like that for me. Of course, I want 60. But its bearable, for me.

sixghost

You can do that area whenever you want. Most people save it for later, since it can be rough without a divine weapon, but it's definitely doable, and you'll get a sweet mask. If you save this area for later, you will probably just plow through it, and the boss will be hilariously easy.

On the bridge with the
dragon and Solaire
there is a locked door across from the door you exit after the
Taurus Demon

Of course if you don't mind skipping content there is a quicker way to the second bell if you have the master key. ;)

GooeyHeat

So, it turns out that my game only freezes when I get hit/block an attack/backstab (apparently) while Games For Windows Live is running. Without it, though, I can't save or play online. Any tips for fixing this shit? I'm at a loss.

Grief.exe

Kill him. It's well-worth it and it's a great fight. :>

Ya I've heard probably worth going back now that I'm a little more leveled.

So I go back to Solaire? I remember there being a door back there that I couldn't open.

On the bridge with the
dragon and Solaire
there is a locked door across from the door you exit after the
Taurus Demon

Of course if you don't mind skipping content there is a quicker way to the second bell if you have the master key. ;)

I do have the master key, but nah I'll play through correctly.

EDIT: Shit gotta go to the Dentist. Be right back after that.

The mouse control is awful, it's really jittery and has weird acceleration issues.

Top Bottom