• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

I asked this a few pages ago, so I figured I'd ask again; does anyone know how to unlock the new areas? I don't have
the Lordvessel yet, but I am not sure if having the ability to teleport accesses these areas from the bonfires.

Epicnamebro did a vid on this. Don't have the link, but here are the steps:

Kill the Hydra
Save Oolacille
Get the Lord Vessel
Place it in the shrine
Head to the Dukes Archives
At the beginning after the first elevator there is a crystal golem that wasn't there before pre-DLC (before the library). Kill him and he will drop the broken pendent.
Now that you have the pendent there will be a portal to the new content behind the Hydra where you saved Oolacille.

Finalow

I asked this a few pages ago, so I figured I'd ask again; does anyone know how to unlock the new areas? I don't have
the Lordvessel yet, but I am not sure if having the ability to teleport accesses these areas from the bonfires.
you can't
teleport to new bonfires, you have to discover them first. dunno about the new areas tho, I played the game without those.

scitek

data2012-08-2412-42-1cerms.png

office_space_lawrencetmqqf.jpg

"Watch out for your cornhole, bud."

TheExodu5

Banned
If people thought the 360 was bad with modders, then PC will be overpopulated with them. To the point where the game will be straight dominated by modders. If modders find a way to invade hollowed players then consider the game dead unless you plan on playing offline which kills the great co-op/PvP experience that makes DkS amazing. :(

I don't know if I can dodge spoilers enough til Nov 16th for the 360 DLC.

Modders won't find a way to invade hollow players. That wouldn't make sense within the context of the game's infrastructure. The current cheats are just hex edits.

What FROM needs to do is add a stats/item check for invading people online: check to see if the stats/items are legit, given the player's current level. That wouldn't stop people bumping their levels up and invading players of a similar level, but at least you couldn't have a level 1 character with max stats invading other level 1s.

Hoo-doo

Banned
If the PC version is anything like the PS3/360 versions, the game saves constantly. Literally all the time.

Therefore it is highly recommended you quit out of the game the way it was intended.
Alt+F4 will potentially fuck up your 100 hour save, it's not worth it.

TheExodu5

Banned
game runs like ass on my 5830. i've tried every possible fix, i cannot remove the stuttering.

Request to AMD users: please post your driver version and driver settings whether your game runs fine or not. It's clear all the performance issues so far are related to AMD video cards. Some users with 5770 report a perfectly solid 30fps, while some users with 7970 report 15fps.

If the PC version is anything like the PS3/360 versions, the game saves constantly. Literally all the time.

Therefore it is highly recommended you quit out of the game the way it was intended.
Alt+F4 will potentially fuck up your 100 hour save, it's not worth it.

I have to agree. Don't take the risk, especially with GFWL. It is a few seconds more to save you hours and hours of time.

Modders won't find a way to invade hollow players. That wouldn't make sense within the context of the game's infrastructure. The current cheats are just hex edits.

What FROM needs to do is add a stats/item check for invading people online: check to see if the stats/items are legit, given the player's current level. That wouldn't stop people bumping their levels up and invading players of a similar level, but at least you couldn't have a level 1 character with max stats invading other level 1s.

There are rumors and it doesn't seem unfeasible especially since players are always online for systems like messages, blood stains, and silhouettes. If being human was what put you online then I would agree, but DkS runs off of a lobby P2P system that holds 30+ players at one time setup based on location, level, and a couple of other factors. If you are in another player's lobby then it may be possible to find a way to break that human restriction.

krishian

Just got to the gargoyles and had to answer my phone, so I quit the game and when I get back, there's no more load game option anymore...20 minutes in and GFWL already fucks up my save.

Capra Demon
killed at first attempt with a 28 Soul level char.

This is losing the magic of the first time.

Fighting the
Capra Demon
on my legit SL1 run through (pre-bottomless box glitch) was one of the toughest fights that I had. Not as bad as fatboy slim because after
capra
I had access to pyromancy the rest of the game. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
There are rumors and it doesn't seem unfeasible especially since players are always online for systems like messages, blood stains, and silhouettes. If being human was what put you online then I would agree, but DkS runs off of a lobby P2P system that holds 30+ players at one time setup based on location, level, and a couple of other factors. If you are in another player's lobby then it may be possible to find a way to break that human restriction.

Depends on whether or not everyone's IP in the lobby is visible to everyone else, and if the invasion requires the server to arbitrate the connection in between the players.

I'm taking a break. I made it to the new areas and had a look around. First boss (you all know this one from previews) was hard but doable once I learned his pattern. Second boss
Artorias
is rather difficult. He fights much like
Sif, jumping back and forth and slashing. Pretty cool to see Sif take after his master.

Feeling somewhat underpowered (around lvl 40), I returned to Anor Londo. There is a bonfire warp to the new areas once you kill the first boss, so it's easy to return. Also, the game added a teleport to the André bonfire, thanks From.

Looking around in the new area, I've found a new NPC, pieces of a new tank set and been killed over and over by
that goddamn one-eyed dragon
. I also found a titanite slab, which might come in handy :D.

eot

Banned
Green Man Gaming always denies my PayPal and Credit Cards...

You need to verify (I forget what they call it) your Paypal for them to accept it. They charge you like 1$ (gets refunded) then on your card statement there's a code you enter and bam it works.

Fighting the
Capra Demon
on my legit SL1 run through (pre-bottomless box glitch) was one of the toughest fights that I had. Not as bad as fatboy slim because after
capra
I had access to pyromancy the rest of the game. :)

I had no idea of that glitch. I just baited him while I was up the stars, jump down and hit his back.

Repeated a couple of times more and done.

Depends on whether or not everyone's IP in the lobby is visible to everyone else, and if the invasion requires the server to arbitrate the connection in between the players.

Server is only used for setting up the lobbies (basic matchmaking) once you are placed in a lobby the rest is handled P2P. All of the orange messages you get are either from current players in your lobby or will dissolve over time from a past connection. Silhouettes are always players that you are currently in a lobby with. There are various ways to trigger a changing of lobbies. On the 360 we used the "Join Session" option to jump into other lobbies. It would work as long as there was space in the lobby.

When you first jump into the game you are not put into a lobby right away. In order to force joining a lobby we had to hit a PvP possible area while human (boss still alive) to trigger a fog gate. I believe that after a certain period of time you are added to a lobby when you are hollow, but not right away. This system may be in place to stop people from joining a lobby if they are only going to be on for 5 minutes or so to avoid matchmaking serer overhead.

EDIT: Ah you specified IP... I just read "everyone in the lobby is visible". It shouldn't be hard to grab external IPs when you are already sitting in a lobby with a player as you have already established a connection through the server.

Tesseract

Banned
Request to AMD users: please post your driver version and driver settings whether your game runs fine or not. It's clear all the performance issues so far are related to AMD video cards. Some users with 5770 report a perfectly solid 30fps, while some users with 7970 report 15fps.

second this.

hd 5830, catalyst 12.8, standard settings

lots of random stuttering in every area.

I had no idea of that glitch. I just baited him while I was up the stars, jump down and hit his back.

Repeated a couple of times more and done.

The bottomless box glitch isn't a way to beat him. It basically allows you to "reset" a character into a new game with all of your gear from your previous games. People used this to reset bosses for PvP or to go from NG and above back to the original difficulty.

Your way of beating him was the easiest way. ;)

Hd 5770, catalyst 12.8, standard settings
, game runs good overall though some minor dips if I can recall correctly. Haven't tried the newest fix version.

HD5850, factory OC. 11.10.
Played for an hour. Mostly 30FPS. I did get a drop to 20 when the boss first jumped down but went back to 30 afterward.

AllenShrz

Help!

I can't make this game run in full screen, I've tired Alt+ Enter, messing with settings, tired changing the AMD catalyst setting with no luck.

Any suggestions?

I have the problem with our without the resolution fix

First Souls game, and I lost 4 hours to it. I'm grinding in the starting area to become decent at the combat. I wasn't locking on or dodging at all, which didn't quite work out for me.

I can't wait to play more!

LiK

First Souls game, and I lost 4 hours to it. I'm grinding in the starting area to become decent at the combat. I wasn't locking on or dodging at all, which didn't quite work out for me.

I can't wait to play more!

as long as you take each battle as a boss fight, it's fun. slow and steady, slow and steady.

Finalow

lol just tried after months to play my chara at level 175 on ps3 and one guy invades me like after 1 minute. he got raped as hell but still didn't think they were still people out there, at that level.

Sullichin

second this.

hd 5830, catalyst 12.8, standard settings

lots of random stuttering in every area.

I posted this a couple of times but this thread moves really fast --

Overwriting application settings in catalyst, moving every AA slider up to max, with Durante's mod on fixed the framerate for me for my HD7870, it seems like the GPU doesn't get used like it should unless you really crank up the settings. Hope this can help others as I was incredibly dissapointed last night, and now am soaking in supersampled Dark Souls glory.

Unfortunately the framerate is ass when I try to record with FRAPS, but oh well.

Started my character over 3 times. I think the achievements are bugged. I just got the "Arrive at Lordran" achievement when I did it with my third character even though I rang both bells twice now.

Going to go with a DEX/FAI character, started as a thief. I see plenty of new players, I love it! Summoned someone for the gargoyle fight who was using a drake sword. He got one shot before I could heal him. Definitely going to chill around the burg and help out new players.

Serra

Tried around 30 times to summon other players, always says summoning failed. One time it said, failed to create lobby :( Had no problems summoning on the 360, but not once have I succeeded on the PC. Any tips for network stuff?

I got invaded just fine...

Finalow

Tried around 30 times to summon other players, always says summoning failed. One time it said, failed to create lobby :( Had no problems summoning on the 360, but not once have I succeeded on the PC. Any tips for network stuff?

I got invaded just fine...
it's not probably your network problem, happened all the time to me as well.

Zeliard

Nope dude. Master Key totaly break the game. With it you can just go before blightown and get sword and shield wich will drive you through half of game.

If someone plays first time DS they should not get master key.

Silliness. I used the Master Key my first time through the game and it didn't cheapen a single thing. It just offered me the freedom to go explore the game world with no shackles, i.e. it made it more of an actual open-world game. Unless you're staring at a wiki you're not going to know where stuff is located your first time through, and if you do come across some cool item, congrats. You've been rewarded for exploration.

Top Bottom