• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Zomba13

Having trouble signing into GFWL (surprise surprise).

It keeps saying either my email or password is not recognized but it's definitely right, and I can log into the marketplace outside of the game.

Deleting a profile just deletes it from the machine right? Thinking of deleting it and trying to retrieve it again.

Don't know if you've fixed this yet but when I had the same problem with Iron Brigade I tried signing into a 'different' account and just put in my email and pass and then it worked.

Taruranto

God, the section after
The Taurus demon, under the bridge
is fucking rage inducing with Mouse and Keyboard.

Dunno if it's better with a gamepad.

D3RANG3D

I didnt buy it precisely because of my shitty system. I have it on my PS3 already so I might get a "test copy," just to see how it runs on my laptop, but you otherwise I can't tell you until I get my hands on it somehow.

Out of curiosity, what are your specs?

AMD Phenom 2 x2 Dual Core 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz
ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB
4GB RAM

Deadstar

Aw ok. So instead of going upstairs to the Taurus Demon in that tower, you go down the stairs?

I already opened that up with the master key lol, I didn't go down though because there is a tough enemy.

You need to use the key you find at the large gate to open a door that is near Solaire, which is the sun knight you meet at the end of the bridge with the red dragon. There is a ladder that goes down to the undead burg. That's where you need to go.

What you're talking about with the guy and the clu is a completely different area. You don't want to go that way yet.

God, the section after
The Taurus demon, under the bridge
is fucking rage inducing with Mouse and Keyboard.

Dunno if it's better with a gamepad.

I don't want to give much away, but there is a weapon, nearby, that would help you immensely.

Spoilers for getting the weapon:

It's called the Drake Sword. Get this amazing weapon by shooting the dragon on the bridge's tail off. He'll jump every time you shoot him, so you'll have to wait until he sits back down to do it again. It takes a while. Takes about 20 to 30 arrows. This game's damn hard, and this sword helps a lot of the pain, early on.

Just got up to the Depths, took a lot less time this time around :D Thankfully the dude I summoned to fight the Capra Demon helped quite a bit, hated fighting him my first time through on PS3.

I don't want to give much away, but there is a weapon, nearby, that would help you immensely.

It's called the Drake Sword. Get this amazing weapon by shooting the dragon on the bridge's tail off. He'll jump every time you shoot him, so you'll have to wait until he sits back down to do it again. It takes a while. Takes about 20 to 30 arrows. This game's damn hard, and this sword helps a lot of the pain, early on.

Sorry, but no. No. No no no. The Drake Sword is a newbie trap.

Don't go below the bridge, go on top and wait in safety until the dragon comes down to look for you. Then run between his legs and dash for the bonfire. Then when he's gone you can search the bridge for a Claymore. This is an excellent weapon early on, and once you've passed the next area you can start upgrading it with those Titanite Shards you've found. It outclasses the Drake Sword very soon.

Serra

Decided to use my 4 cracked red orbs to invade people after ringing the first bell. +5 claymore, black knight shield and a mix of starting (warrior) armor and chain. My pvp experience in dark souls was limited to getting invaded in the 360 version (never invaded someone) and once been invaded in pc version.

1. was a very even fight in the courtyard, dude flasked twice and I failed to jump on him. Finally he got me with double backstab.

2. I was dominating against a dagger wielding thief, he flasked 6 (!!!) times and I failed to finish him. I kept chasing him and whittling him down and he didn't get any hits on me. Finally I chased him to the 3 Balder knights and they finished him off.

3. dude and his white phantom were pretty much next to me when I spawned, got killed very quickly.

4. spent a little of bit time looking for this dude, he had killed all enemies in the area. finally found him in the back room, just as he summoned a dude. Host was sorcerer and white phantom had a drake sword/shield, chain armor, boar helmet. Fight took place in a really tight corridor. I was doing suprisingly well, both of them to around 20% health, when I failed a little bit in pressuring and the host popped a flask, healing them both. Got the phantom to around 20% health again (host was hiding behind him, tight corridor) when he did a pretty nice roll around me and I was stuck between them. Got backstabbed, stood up, backstabbed again by the other dude.

Im so bad at this game :(
Was really fun though!

King Boo

Video games. If you use this, I will cry.

attachment.php

...damn...already?

if this works online, and some punk is invading me with this, i would be one sad human.

Sullichin

Here are my suggestions for some good early game weapons other than the Drake Sword cuz that thing is a noob trap (becomes useless later).

- Claymore
on the dragon bridge. Wait on the bridge behind the middle wall on either side, and he will jump down. Run between his legs and pick this up from a corpse
- Uchigatana
You can kill the undead merchant in the burg for this weapon, which is great for DEX users. However you should clear his inventory out for stuff you'll want, like the bottomless box and residence key. He's the only one that sells repair powder, so get some of that, but you can repair your weapons with a repairbox at a bonfire too.
- Zweihander
found in the graveyard by firelink guarded by a giant skeleton
- Balder Side Sword
You can farm the Balder Knights (caped knights) in the undead parish for this awesome weapon, but it's a pretty rare drop. It becomes easier to farm for later.
- Halberd
By the gate in the Parish behind the Mecha-Boar.
- Any weapon you like. Just upgrade it.

Sorry, but no. No. No no no. The Drake Sword is a newbie trap.

Don't go below the bridge, go on top and wait in safety until the dragon comes down to look for you. Then run between his legs and dash for the bonfire. Then when he's gone you can search the bridge for a Claymore. This is an excellent weapon early on, and once you've passed the next area you can start upgrading it with those Titanite Shards you've found. It outclasses the Drake Sword very soon.

Interesting. Most people used this sword heavily, when it came out. I still use it, when I play a new game.
I say, it's easy to get, so see if it's worth your time.
Yeah, it is useless later on, but it's pretty useful up until
Sen's Fortress
I mean, just upgrade other weapons and try them out, while you have this one on hand.
And the Zweinhander...man, I still don't use that sword. It's HUGE, and takes forever to swing. I mean, some people can really rock this thing, but it's really not my kind of sword. Claymore is good though

Taruranto

But i'm a mage...

Anyway, my problem is not the difficulty, but the freakins rats keep poisoning me and it's a pain to target them without falling lol.

I always loved the look of the standard Longsword. I used it for my entire first playthrough even though I go it very early on. It's very simple but to me it's probably the most beautiful sword in the game. The Broad Sword and Short Sword are great too.

Where do I go first?
I went to that castle place up the cliff. I didn't run into any problems until I ran into a guy with a bid sword at the bottom of the stairs who one shot me. Then, in the same area, at the bottom of the tower, I ran into a guy with a huge mace that also one-shot me. I tried fighting that Minotaur boss in the same area as well, but he two-shot me.

Next, I took the elevator all the way down to that dark area. I started crossing over the water, but these ghosts showed up and I couldn't even damage them. So I ran back and found this path into the Valley of the Drakes. I managed to steal the stuff in front of that skeleton dragon and get past him without being killed, but I saw a bunch of blue winged things in the distance. I decided not to mess with them and just turned around and went back up on the elevator.

Lastly, I found a graveyard with these skeletons that are hard to kill. I managed to kill a bunch of them, but this really big one with a huge blade showed up and I could barely damage him, so I ran back.

So what's the easiest starting path?

Sullichin

Where do I go first?
I went to that castle place up the cliff. I didn't run into any problems until I ran into a guy with a bid sword at the bottom of the stairs who one shot me. Then, in the same area, at the bottom of the tower, I ran into a guy with a huge mace that also one-shot me. I tried fighting that Minotaur boss in the same area as well, but he two-shot me.

Next, I took the elevator all the way down to that dark area. I started crossing over the water, but these ghosts showed up and I couldn't even damage them. So I ran back and found this path into the Valley of the Drakes. I managed to steal the stuff in front of that skeleton dragon and get past him without being killed, but I saw a bunch of blue winged things in the distance. I decided not to mess with them and just turned around and went back up on the elevator.

Lastly, I found a graveyard with these skeletons that are hard to kill. I managed to kill a bunch of them, but this really big one with a huge blade showed up and I could barely damage him, so I ran back.

That boss you mention at the end of the first paragraph.

gdt

Where do I go first?

First choice. The other ways are for wayyyyyyy later in the game, I assume you started with the Master Key.

While I agree the Drake sword is a beginner trap and far too many players get caught thinking upgrading it is a good idea (it isn't), its a great sword for the Burg right up until blighttown. Once you hit blight, its going to take much longer to start doing any real damage, so that's when you backtrack and grab some of the other weapons to upgrade.

Then there's the
lightning spear which is basically Drake Sword 2.0, but I digress.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Decided to use my 4 cracked red orbs to invade people after ringing the first bell. +5 claymore, black knight shield and a mix of starting (warrior) armor and chain. My pvp experience in dark souls was limited to getting invaded in the 360 version (never invaded someone) and once been invaded in pc version.

1. was a very even fight in the courtyard, dude flasked twice and I failed to jump on him. Finally he got me with double backstab.

2. I was dominating against a dagger wielding thief, he flasked 6 (!!!) times and I failed to finish him. I kept chasing him and whittling him down and he didn't get any hits on me. Finally I chased him to the 3 Balder knights and they finished him off.

3. dude and his white phantom were pretty much next to me when I spawned, got killed very quickly.

4. spent a little of bit time looking for this dude, he had killed all enemies in the area. finally found him in the back room, just as he summoned a dude. Host was sorcerer and white phantom had a drake sword/shield, chain armor, boar helmet. Fight took place in a really tight corridor. I was doing suprisingly well, both of them to around 20% health, when I failed a little bit in pressuring and the host popped a flask, healing them both. Got the phantom to around 20% health again (host was hiding behind him, tight corridor) when he did a pretty nice roll around me and I was stuck between them. Got backstabbed, stood up, backstabbed again by the other dude.

Im so bad at this game :(
Was really fun though!

The PVP battles are always so goddamn tense. I haven't invaded much on the PS3 version, but when I did, I was sitting with clenched buttocks for the entire duration.

Simply creeping around in his world looking for the guy, jumping on him from behind a corner and engaging in epic 1V1 combat is so amazing. Rolling around the map like gorillas in a standoff, trading blows and sipping on Estus whenever you get the chance.

isual

SL300 here.

Don't get the master key; it opens up doors you're not supposed to go through at your current level. It will just leave you in frustration.

Just get the pendant.

Mupod

Interesting. Most people used this sword heavily, when it came out. I still use it, when I play a new game.
I say, it's easy to get, so see if it's worth your time.
Yeah, it is useless later on, but it's pretty useful up until
Sen's Fortress
I mean, just upgrade other weapons and try them out, while you have this one on hand.
And the Zweinhander...man, I still don't use that sword. It's HUGE, and takes forever to swing. I mean, some people can really rock this thing, but it's really not my kind of sword. Claymore is good though

The Zweihander is amazing in PVE because of its ability to knock enemies down over and over. Works on a surprisingly high number of things. PVP...I never really did much, but a lightning Zwei does insanely high damage despite being slow and hard to hit with.

While I agree the Drake sword is a beginner trap and far too many players get caught thinking upgrading it is a good idea (it isn't), its a great sword for the Burg right up until blighttown. Once you hit blight, its going to take much longer to start doing any real damage, so that's when you backtrack and grab some of the other weapons to upgrade.

Then there's the
lightning spear which is basically Drake Sword 2.0, but I digress.

Yeah, it really is(except upgrading that weapon isn't a bad idea at all). I use the sword, and then the weapon you mentioned, until I could get a Claymore properly upgraded.
I actually use the sword through Blight Town. I stop using it at Sen's shack o' horrors.

Seriously though, the sword is so easy to get, and when you get it...it's like WOW..everything gets so much easier. Just don't upgrade it.

But i'm a mage...

You should really put a little time into building some strength and endurance. You can't really take this game down with magic alone. Well, maybe some people can, but...
Also, invest in Pyromancy. It's the best.

EDIT: Someone asked about the Elite Knight Armor earlier in this thread. They patched it, yes, and it now has less poise. So, you can get knocked around like a little bitch. The Black Iron armor set is better now. Much better poise.

Deadstar

Bleh. So I'm going to have to find a way of beating him without getting hit twice. =/

When he appears go up the ladder, jump down onto him and attack and you'll do a special plungle attack taking a bunch of his life. Using firebombs can help take him out. Keep your shield up.

Zeliard

The Master Key isn't specifically about either helping or hindering you. It's about letting you venture around an interconnected open world more freely and letting you explore areas at your own whim, magnifying the sense of discovery. I used it my first time through the game and it made it that much more fulfilling and personal of an experience - more adventurous, unpredictable, exciting.

You know open-world RPGs have gotten really shitty in recent years when people complain that the freedom to venture to higher-level areas is somehow a bad thing.

Raide

The Master Key isn't specifically about either helping or hindering you. It's about letting you venture around an interconnected open world more freely and letting you explore areas at your own whim. I used it my first time through the game and it made it that much more fulfilling of an experience - more adventurous, unpredictable, exciting.

You know open-world RPGs have gotten really shitty in recent years when people complain that the freedom to venture to higher-level areas is somehow a bad thing.

In Dark Souls...it could be. New players just opening all the doors and running around will get brutally mugged by so many encounters. It might be too much for them and they get scared off. Maybe... :D

kodt

Banned
Where do I go first?

go for the Minotaur boss, try finding a way to attack from above

soultron

Banned
Hohoho. So great to witness people going through whole "ermagerd what do I do?" that I felt when I first started playing last year. Once you learn -- and you'll learn fast -- it gets great. Hang in there, folks! You're in for a great ride! c:

Summoning failed nonstop. Worse then the PS3 version.

I dont know if i was just crazy or if its real, but the only time i remember having any summoning success in the PS3 version was when i stood still on the summoning icon. It felt like everytime i moved away from it, it would fail.

Have you noticed or tried this?

Ok, apparently i can use the flask to restore my HP.

Now i feel fucking dumb.

In all fairness, the game doesn't explain itself well at all.
When I first played Demon's Souls, I couldn't figure out how to cast magic and miracles. It's a little too obscure. One of my only problems with the series.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I didnt buy it precisely because of my shitty system. I have it on my PS3 already so I might get a "test copy," just to see how it runs on my laptop, but you otherwise I can't tell you until I get my hands on it somehow.
That's a shame, I really want to try this game (never played any Souls game before), but don't wanna pay $32 and not be able to play it. After some searching I couldn't find anything useful regarding the performance on a rig similar to mine. Maybe everyone has a better PC than me.

Well, a co-worker just increased my hype for the game a 500%, so I'm more tempted than ever to buy it! Still, those FPS drops...

In Dark Souls...it could be. New players just opening all the doors and running around will get brutally mugged by so many encounters. It might be too much for them and they get scared off. Maybe... :D

But part of the magic is exploring and learning what you can handle. Every person is different. :)

Top Bottom