• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Soulhouf

Here are my suggestions for some good early game weapons other than the Drake Sword cuz that thing is a noob trap (becomes useless later).

- Claymore
on the dragon bridge. Wait on the bridge behind the middle wall on either side, and he will jump down. Run between his legs and pick this up from a corpse
- Uchigatana
You can kill the undead merchant in the burg for this weapon, which is great for DEX users. However you should clear his inventory out for stuff you'll want, like the bottomless box and residence key. He's the only one that sells repair powder, so get some of that, but you can repair your weapons with a repairbox at a bonfire too.
- Zweihander
found in the graveyard by firelink guarded by a giant skeleton
- Balder Side Sword
You can farm the Balder Knights (caped knights) in the undead parish for this awesome weapon, but it's a pretty rare drop. It becomes easier to farm for later.
- Halberd
By the gate in the Parish behind the Mecha-Boar.
- Any weapon you like. Just upgrade it.

This.
I would also suggest the Winged Spear, found in the same place as the Zwei and which is an awesome beginner weapon if you go for a dex build.

Man, I must not buy this version and stop coming to this thread. The waiting will be loooooooooong until the PS3 release.

BTW, what are your impressions about this version Sullichin?

Probably a dumb question, but how do I get rid of the mouse pointer? I am playing with the 360 controller.

Also, is there any way to quit the game that doesn't involve logging out of my character and exiting from the title screen?

_machine

Probably a dumb question, but how do I get rid of the mouse pointer? I am playing with the 360 controller.

Also, is there any way to quit the game that doesn't involve logging out of my character and exiting from the title screen?
F9 with the latest version of DSfix.

scitek

I'm not very good at this game, but I'm learning. I've been trying to just move ahead this whole time, but I've just figured out you can resurrect enemies with a bonfire and grind a little bit to increase your stats before trying a boss again. Kind of a "DUH" moment.

_machine

Does this game still have freezing or crashing issues like Dark Souls originally did at launch on PS3/360?
My friend says a crash in an hour is normal for him, with or without dsfix or a crack. I've not heard much of crashes anywhere else though.

And I urge you to use the game save manager; he just mentioned that he lost all progress so far because of not using it and having GFWL fuck his saves up and not being able to repair them. Otherwise tho, he did get me all hyped, but I'll not buy it full price, especially with GW2 right around the corner.

Cheeto

My friend says a crash in an hour is normal for him, with or without dsfix or a crack. I've not heard much of crashes anywhere else though.

And I urge you to use the game save manager; he just mentioned that he lost all progress so far because of not using it and having GFWL fuck his saves up and not being able to repair them. Otherwise tho, he did get me all hyped, but I'll not buy it full price, especially with GW2 right around the corner.

Where can I get one of these game save managers?

Sullichin

This.
I would also suggest the Winged Spear, found in the same place as the Zwei and which is an awesome beginner weapon if you go for a dex build.

Man, I must not buy this version and stop coming to this thread. The waiting will be loooooooooong until the PS3 release.

BTW, what are your impressions about this version Sullichin?

First impressions: bad, because the framerate was worse than PS3.
After I fixed that problem (by maxing out all of my AA settings with my GPU driver software, weirdly enough), I'm very happy with this version. After a few hours of playing it in 3840×2160 downsampled to 1080p, it would be hard to go back to the console version. If it weren't for Durante's patch, this port would be pretty underwhelming, but I didn't get to the new content yet because of the previously mentioned problems / continually re-starting with new characters, etc. Think i'm set on DEX/FAI, taking the long way through the game and appreciating all of the extra detail.

Speaking of Game Save Manager, will it automatically find the save file(s) for Dark Souls or will I have to manually navigate to the folder(s)? And if so, where are they located?

I've never used GSM.

mattbison

Banned
I wish I could transfer my x360 character over.. i farmed the sewers so long.. I stopped playing very close to the end when a PC version was announced... should I take the plunge and start over on the PC?

Teknoman

Just whooped C. demon with the help of another phantom. He was glowing orange for some reason though? Its been awhile, so i'm not sure if that was because of a special covenant...but either way the fight was as intense as the first time. Music didnt help lol.

Also for some reason my Steam screenshots wont upload? Is it because i'm using Durante's patch?

Deadstar

I'm not very good at this game, but I'm learning. I've been trying to just move ahead this whole time, but I've just figured out you can resurrect enemies with a bonfire and grind a little bit to increase your stats before trying a boss again. Kind of a "DUH" moment.

This is key. The monsters do note scale so if you are having a real tough time grind a bit and get stronger, then push on.

Just whooped C. demon with the help of another phantom. He was glowing orange for some reason though? Its been awhile, so i'm not sure if that was because of a special covenant...but either way the fight was as intense as the first time. Music didnt help lol.

Also for some reason my Steam screenshots wont upload? Is it because i'm using Durante's patch?

I believe the orange ghosts are from the sun covenant.

Alex

It never once did that for me on the PS3 version.

I had one freeze on PS3 once, but that was in a lot of play.

Nothing so far on PC.

I never played much after they patched on the consoles, it's nice to see the online fixed and more like Demon's Souls was. Dark Souls was pretty lonely at launch!

oh....my...god.

i just remembered..

TOMB OF THE GIANTS

oh you poor poor dark souls newbies. oh you poor poor souls....I will shed a tear for you.

GJS

Elite Knight Armor set has 46 poise, I shit you not.

More on DWGR:

Over 50% equip load, it has no effect.
At 50%, no effect.
25% or less, flip mode Busta Rhymes.

Not even any difference in run speed/stamina regen? Flip wasn't the DWGR's only use.

Taruranto

Finally managed to "connect" the 3/4 initial areas, yeaaaahhh.

Now i only need to find some mage rope, can't stand to look like a warrior. :p

wutwutwut

I lost 4200 souls and 6 humanity because I rolled off a cliff. :( Early game,
Undead Burg, right outside the bonfire location

Is it normally a good idea to kindle bonfires? 10 estus flasks increase survivability by a hell of a lot.

Also, I forwent the Drake Sword in favour of a Claymore +3. Good idea? My damage is at like 180 right now.

Is it normally a good idea to kindle bonfires? 10 estus flasks increase survivability by a hell of a lot.

The humanity hurts but 4200 souls isn't a bad loss in the long run, trust me.

And certain bonfires are more strategic to kindle than others because you return to them more often. You'll definitely want to kindle the bonfire in
The Undead Burg

Hoo-doo

Banned

Also, I forwent the Drake Sword in favour of a Claymore +3. Good idea? My damage is at like 180 right now.

That has literally happened to almost everyone at least once.

Soulhouf

First impressions: bad, because the framerate was worse than PS3.
After I fixed that problem (by maxing out all of my AA settings with my GPU driver software, weirdly enough), I'm very happy with this version. After a few hours of playing it in 3840×2160 downsampled to 1080p, it would be hard to go back to the console version. If it weren't for Durante's patch, this port would be pretty underwhelming, but I didn't get to the new content yet because of the previously mentioned problems / continually re-starting with new characters, etc. Think i'm set on DEX/FAI, taking the long way through the game and appreciating all of the extra detail.

Thanks, I will wait for the PS3 version.

iNvid02

i found this and its been really handy so far, like super handy - is this one of the best weapons in the game or is it just helping me early on?

data20120824195647115uqr77.png

Top Bottom