• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Deadstar

i found this and its been really handy so far, like super handy - is this one of the best weapons in the game or is it just helping me early on?

I use a halberd in every souls game. Divine halberd to be exact. I love the reach that think has and I'm used to the attack style. It may be a little slow for some people and if you miss, you're punished for it. Go with what feels good to you.

Hoo-doo

Banned
i found this and its been really handy so far, like super handy - is this one of the best weapons in the game or is it just helping me early on?

Every weapon is different and viable in their own way, all with completely separate movesets.
The halberd is long as shit, so it's often clanging against the walls in small corridors. Packs a hell of a punch though, and the reach is great.

Edit: I just realized you killed Solaire.

The fuck is wrong with you. :(

iNvid02

yeah its been helping me kick ass, the reach is a lifesaver sometimes

also, i just found that armor on the ground, nobody was there

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I have a copy of this on GFWL, is it possible for me to play this using Steam or do I have to use the GFWL client.

Also, how exactly do I use GameSave Manager

Okay okay the PC version is my first time in Dark Souls and I knew it was soul crushing in terms of difficulty but but...

after experimenting with different classes I decided to be a Pyromancer because I heard they were good for beginners and I cleared the "tutorial area" with ease.

But after you get into the "real area" I wandered around and
found a place with 4 chests and after getting my loot I tried to get back to the bonfire but then suddenly SKELETONS! D: They erased me from existence and when I wanted to get my souls back the got me again and... again. So I decided to look elsewhere and found a castle town or something like that, I dropped death a few times though after a while I reached a bridge with a boss on it...

It was actually a boss I saw in a gameplay playthrough before so I decided to do the tower-drop tactic I saw there, low and behold as I climbed the tower up the boss simply followed me and smashed me to pieces...
I threw my controller on my bed and ALT+F4'ed =_=

At this rate I will just let my friends play and just watch :(

kodt

Banned
Okay okay the PC version is my first time in Dark Souls and I knew it was soul crushing in terms of difficulty but but...

after experimenting with different classes I decided to be a Pyromancer because I heard they were good for beginners and I cleared the "tutorial area" with ease.

found a place with 4 chests and after getting my loot I tried to get back to the bonfire but then suddenly SKELETONS! D: They erased me from existence and when I wanted to get my souls back the got me again and... again. So I decided to look elsewhere and found a castle town or something like that, I dropped death a few times though after a while I reached a bridge with a boss on it...

It was actually a boss I saw in a gameplay playthrough before so I decided to do the tower-drop tactic I saw there, low and behold as I climbed the tower up the boss simply followed me and smashed me to pieces...

run down the bridge just far enough to spawn the boss, as soon as he spawns sprint back to the tower and climb the stairs, you should be able to do it. If you are running too slow, try unequipping some armor first

Hoo-doo

Banned

You need to realize that dying isn't the end of the world.

Now go and show that Taurus demon what you're made of.
Jump on his face.

run down the bridge just far enough to spawn the boss, as soon as he spawns sprint back to the tower and climb the stairs, you should be able to do it. If you are running too slow, try unequipping some armor first

Thank you! :) I tried this but is it normal that it can follow me upwards in about 5 seconds? :(

You need to realize that dying isn't the end of the world.

Now go and show that Taurus demon what you're made of.
Jump on his face.

I guess you are right... but my god even Syobon Mario (sp?) didn't frustrate me as much xD

you monster
Ahahaha, literally said those exact words aloud before scrolling down and seeing this post.

On another note, it seems that they didn't do anything to fix the net code. Plenty of summon signs near the gargoyles, which is an improvement over how the game launched on 360, but it still takes forever to get summoned and 9/10 attempts to summon someone results in "Summoning Failed". Disappointing.

Raptomex

I jusat started this game last night before I went to bed. Now I chose the warrior class. Now chances are I'm just an idiot but am I supposed to have some form of sword by the time I face the
asylum demon
? I think I missed it if I was supposed to find it. I created a new character and will just restart again later tonight.

LiK

I jusat started this game last night before I went to bed. Now I chose the warrior class. Now chances are I'm just an idiot but am I supposed to have some form of sword by the time I face the
asylum demon
? I think I missed it if I did. I created a new character and will just restart again later tonight.

fight him with bare hands!

cm osi

Thank you! :) I tried this but is it normal that it can follow me upwards in about 5 seconds? :(

I guess you are right... but my god even Syobon Mario (sp?) didn't frustrate me as much xD

you have to be quick, he stand still and look up before jumping. don't worry about dying, it's pretty normal on dark souls

Hoo-doo

Banned
asylum demon
? I think I missed it if I was supposed to find it. I created a new character and will just restart again later tonight.

The first time you encounter him you're on ground level with him, right?
Just haul ass to the left, there's an opening in the room that leads you to your first weapon.

Raptomex

well, you technically can....but yes, you will find a sword before the fight.
Ok, I'll try again.
The first time you encounter him you're on ground level with him, right?
Just haul ass to the left, there's an opening in the room that leads you to your first weapon.
No I found that. I meant the second encounter. I guess I just missed the weapon.

Mafro

Can anyone recommend a decent weapon for a sorcerer? I'm still fairly early in the game (just defeated the gargoyles) and I'm currently just using a long sword. My strength is 12 and dexterity is 11 if that's any help.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Uh, wow. I'm getting rolled by one of the new bosses. Dude makes Flamelurker from Demon's Souls seem like a positively leisurely and laid-back fella.

I gotta be missing something here.

Sullichin

Uh, wow. I'm getting rolled by one of the new bosses. Dude makes Flamelurker from Demon's Souls seem like a positively leisurely and laid-back fella.

I gotta be missing something here.

That's what I wanna hear. I'm taking the slow way through the game and helping out some new players... maybe I should start speeding to the new stuff.

TheExodu5

Banned
You know what? With supersampling, I'm ready to call this one of the best looking PC games ever. The amount of detail and quality in the art is absolutely astounding.

FtHTiny

Just ventured into the new area the first time. That feeling of the unknown is just great.

Also had my fair share of trouble with the first boss in there. My build seems pretty garbage for the beginning of the new content. :x

Just ventured into the new area the first time. That feeling of the unknown is just great.

Also had my fair share of trouble with the first boss in there. My build seems pretty garbage for the beginning of the new content. :x

Don't spoil it for me. :p I can't wait to get that new content smell. :) Like opening an MTG booster pack and just sniffing.

Haven't gotten the game up yet cuz today is my "first met" anniversary day. Grrr....

Deadstar

Anyone know where the save file is stored? I want to keep backing it up every few hours just to make sure I don't lose progress.

ixix

That's what I wanna hear. I'm taking the slow way through the game and helping out some new players... maybe I should start speeding to the new stuff.

That's what I want to hear. :>

I'm gonna give y'all a little hint. I'll spoiler it just in case, but it's not even really a spoiler:
bring a shield with high Stability. Really high Stability.

I could probably take him, but for one thing. 'Nother barely-even-a-spoiler here, but better safe than sorry:
he has a tail. There is probably an item description in that tail. My misplaced sense of obligation demands I obtain it. It is not going well.

I'm kind of vacillating on what I think of the new stuff. It's not what I was expecting, but I'm withholding judgment on whether I mean that in a good way or a bad way until I finish it.

That dude's basically the Dark Souls equivalent of one of them fellers at a carnival standing in front of roller coasters holding a "You must be this tall to ride" signs.

Congratulations, you are tall enough to ride.

Tesseract

Banned
'oh neat, a well'
*reads message*
'try jumping'
*jumps into well hoping to find treasure*
*you died*

shit just got real.

Raptor

same reason i killed the knight who was on the floor - i dont know why man

au8aq.gif

You are sick.

Mafro

My friend and I have been having a hell of a time joining each other..not sure what's going on.
summoning failed
summoning failed
summoning failed
summoning failed

The online in this is as annoying as it was in the console versions. The amount of times I've actually managed to summon people is vastly outweighed by the times I haven't. What's really annoying is the amount of time it takes to tell you it hasn't worked.

I really miss those Demon's Souls dedicated servers.

'oh neat, a well'
*reads message*
'try jumping'
*you died*

shit just got real.

Those misleading messages are a great thing about Dark Souls... they create stories. lol... one of the best messages that I've ever seen in my experience is "Nice Chest" in front of several women. That made me lose it... lol.

TheExodu5

Banned
Figured I might as well share these two shots here as well. Just playing hudless for a bit to take in the scenery. What a gorgeous game.

hudless1.png

hudless2.png

Am I crazy for wanting to go for decidedly imperfect builds? I love greatshields, so I need 34 strength to get the best one, but I also love piercing weapons like the Balder side sword, so I end up going STR/END and then using elemental damage on my weapons. It's not ideal =(

Zeliard

lol @ the armor

Our friend Solaire is now one with the sun :(

This new batch of players is quite devilish.

I'm gonna give y'all a little hint. I'll spoiler it just in case, but it's not even really a spoiler:
bring a shield with high Stability. Really high Stability.

What weaps are you currently using?

I could probably take him, but for one thing. 'Nother barely-even-a-spoiler here, but better safe than sorry:
he has a tail. There is probably an item description in that tail. My misplaced sense of obligation demands I obtain it. It is not going well.

Yeah, I fear I'll end up having to do the same thing. Do these silly bosses really think
they can just have a tail wagging around and not divorced from their bodies?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Figured I might as well share these two shots here as well. Just playing hudless for a bit to take in the scenery. What a gorgeous game.

Looks in-fucking-credible.

I do wonder though, do you ever actually play games, or do you just take screenshots of them. ;)

ixix

Yeah, I've been having no end of connection issues. I actually had a Gravelord sign appear at one point but trying to use it got me nowhere. Just crapped out every time. I've only had one invader so far, and when he spawned the game pitched a fit and booted me back to the title screen. I messaged the invader asking what happened and it was apparently not the first time that had happened to one of his victims.

I'm hoping it's just some jitters from the game having to throw together anybody in the area actual connection feasibility be damned, and that it'll stabilize a bit when there are enough people spread throughout various areas that it doesn't have to match up players with ill-suited connections together because they're the only peeps around.

'oh neat, a well'
*reads message*
'try jumping'
*you died*

shit just got real.

Before you know it you'll be throwing yourself down that well just for old times' sake.

Ah, memories.

What weaps are you currently using?

I'm running a Sorcery build. Seemed well-suited to speedrunning the first two-thirds of the game, and indeed it has been. I've been switching back and forth between the
Moonlight Butterfly Horn and Moonlight Greatsword
. I've also got
the Lightning Spear and a Lightning Avelyn
just in case something pops up that's highly resistant to magic damage.

Spoiler tagging weapon names is probably excessive, but oh well. Probably people in here what ain't never played Dark Souls before, after all.

Top Bottom