• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

summoning failed
summoning failed
summoning failed
summoning failed

The online in this is as annoying as it was in the console versions. The amount of times I've actually managed to summon people is vastly outweighed by the times I haven't. What's really annoying is the amount of time it takes to tell you it hasn't worked.

I really miss those Demon's Souls dedicated servers.

On the 360 I never had problems. We used the Join Session in Progress trick to put each other in a lobby and then it took maybe 2-3 summoning faileds and it worked flawlessly from there. It is how I ran the DkS Fight Club on the 360. Here are some of the videos of our organized fight club fun (we would typically have 4 player connected at once):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrVaRcfizT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QSOKCSfYuc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RMboNouNRs

And then some duels with me and Peeve Peeverson (I'm the spear/gravelord sword player with the helmet :)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn8julSo3Lg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVo_N2_agZ4

King Boo

so i'm on stage 2 (or the area after you beat the tutorial stage) and i
defeated this ten foot tall black knight! ok i didn't do it fairly. i don't have the skills to parry and roll and counter attacking it. but i was exploring the stage, and there's a little place you can jump on to, and the enemies don't know how to get you once you do it. so i made the black knight follow me to this cheap spot, where i then shot like 50 arrows at it and got this nice sword. but i can't use it lol.

unfortunately i am still stuck on this stage. i get to the part where i have to fight
that big fat demon again from stage 1. so i realized i can climb up, and then do a jump attack on it. but after that i am clueless. i already used this lightning enhancing stuff on my rapier, and it was doing great damage. but i keep getting hit off the narrow hallway. also i don't know how i am suppose to dodge this monster. i can't seem to roll past it. if i back jump, eventually it corners me and then i'm stuck and dead. blocking...my God that drains all my stamina and i still take damage. is it possible to parry and counter attack it? if you guys have any other advice, i'll gladly take it.

i died to this menace like 5 times already, and i have maybe 5k souls on my dead body. it goes up maybe another 1k if i get the chance to pick it up. and getting back to this boss (or maybe he's a miniboss) is a pain.

overall it's still pretty fun.

They made quite a few changes in this release. It was already mentioned they changed the Elite Knight armor poise, the DWGR flip-roll percentage.
But they also added a few more bonfires to warp to, with the most noticeable change being a warp to the Tomb of the Giants ^^ Finally we won't need to go through the Catacombs each time (I know about the shortcuts, but it's still a pain sometimes). And I think they also fixed the 1.05 Dragon Head glitch, because I can't do it :/ Or maybe I just lost my touch :>

Zeliard

I'm running a Sorcery build. Seemed well-suited to speedrunning the first two-thirds of the game, and indeed it has been. I've been switching back and forth between the
Moonlight Butterfly Horn and Moonlight Greatsword
. I've also got
the Lightning Spear and a Lightning Avelyn
just in case something pops up that's highly resistant to magic damage.

Spoiler tagging weapon names is probably excessive, but oh well. Probably people in here what ain't never played Dark Souls before, after all.

I'm so out of the loop when it comes to how current weapon upgrades and general gear scaling stand. Never played the game much after that big re-balancing patch. I assume
lightning weapons
are no longer as ultra-dominant as they once were.

Vaporak

So I can't seem to summon people anymore. Everytime I try it just eventually says "summoning failed", anyone else have this issue? Also never been invaded or anything similar even though I've been staying in human form.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Alright as promised, not that it's very needed anymore, but here's my performance from tutorial straight to bottom of Blighttown on:

Core i5 2500k OCed @ 4.2GHz
GTX 580 3GB
8GBDDR3
120GB SSD
Win 7 64-bit

Silky smooth performance, almost never dipped below 30fps. My lowest dip was 27fps at a spot on the ladders in Blighttown, and 28-29fps dips in random places. I'll post my best rigs' performance, but I'm thinking it'll likely be the same.

Anyway, still, auto-hide cursor mod, and somebody develop of proper PS3 controller app! :p I'm still not used to the RB/LB standard attacks...

Edit: Was using Durante's mod @ 1080p.

Zzoram

60 would be better but a super solid 30fps with super resolutions is still pretty damn amazing. The game is very worth playing. Just put the GPU power that would've went to 60fps to rendering at 3840x2860 and downsampling to your native resolution for super beautiful no jaggy everything.

Grief.exe

Hah, I play em. Got the gargoyles down. Just felt the need to take a few shots once I found out you could disable the HUD.

How do you disable the hud?

The wall textures in that second shot look amazing. Crazy how good this game actually looks once you start peeling back From's attempts to cover it up. Next stop that stupid DOF.

The consensus is that the 30 fps in this game just looks real smooth, I don't know whether its because of the smooth animations, no stuttering, and no frame rate drops. But 30 feels incredibly smooth in this game.

If you have a fire keeper soul in your inventory, you can increase the power of your estus flask if you bring it to
a firekeeper such as the one in the cage in firelink shrine.

Is that a permanent increase? Because I found that lady and I have the fire keeper soul ready to go.

60 would be better but a super solid 30fps with super resolutions is still pretty damn amazing. The game is very worth playing. Just put the GPU power that would've went to 60fps to rendering at 3840x2860 and downsampling to your native resolution for super beautiful no jaggy everything.

I'm downsampling, have AF mode on and am still only using 35% on one of my 560 ti's. (second one will come into play once they release some profiles)

Gonna test out if I can get MSAA working through Nvidia Inspector next.

Alex

The 30 fps really is good here, smooth, great response. 60 would be better as always but its hard to complain about the fluidity of this port. large improvement on the console versions.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Game isn't meant to run at 60fps, it would change things for the worst if it was unlocked. It would have had to have been coded for 60fps.

chiablo

So despite (and possibly because of) all of the negativity surrounding the fixed resolution and framerate, Dark Souls is selling very well on PC. At one point, it was outselling Counterstrike GO on Steam.

So what will Namco and FROM do if the PC version outsells the console version?

Zzoram

So despite (and possibly because of) all of the negativity surrounding the fixed resolution and framerate, Dark Souls is selling very well on PC. At one point, it was outselling Counterstrike GO on Steam.

Hopefully make a really damn good PC version of Dark Souls 2.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm so out of the loop when it comes to how current weapon upgrades and general gear scaling stand. Never played the game much after that big re-balancing patch. I assume
lightning weapons
are no longer as ultra-dominant as they once were.

Lightning weapons aren't the default go-to the way they were at release. They're still useful, but as time has gone on people have twigged to the superiority of +15 weapons paired with enchantments and weapons without split damage types. Weapons that deal some damage of one type and some damage of another type have to go through more defenses than weapons that deal their damage of a single type. That's why my Lightning kit is backup and my main weapons are 100% Magic-type damage: the overall damage output is just better if I'm doing, say, 300 Magic-type damage compared to 150 Physical and 150 Lightning. That's actually pretty much the situation I've got with my two spears at the moment.

Non-scaling Lightning, Fire, and Chaos weapons are still good for heavily Vitality- and Endurance-focused builds that aren't pumping any combat stats, but for any Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, or Faith build I run I never use them as anything other than backup weapons. There are better options than non-scaling upgrades for any of those stats.

Manus?

Yep.
I've basically got the pattern down, and I'm sure I could kill him if I just gave up on the tail and unloaded on him with my Sorcery. But my OCD will not allow me to leave a tail attached, and I am not built for cutting things.

Is that a permanent increase? Because I found that lady and I have the fire keeper soul ready to go.

Yes. Giving a Fire Keeper Soul to a Fire Keeper to upgrade your Flask permanently increases the amount it heals. You should never use a Fire Keeper Soul out of your inventory until you've maxed out your Flask, you should always save it for the upgrade.

Anyone playing with mouse/keyboard? Would you describe it as 'unplayable,' as others have? Thinking of double-dipping but don't have a PC-360 controller...

Zzoram

Anyone playing with mouse/keyboard? Would you describe it as 'unplayable,' as others have? Thinking of double-dipping but don't have a PC-360 controller...

I'm sure it's playable, just that double dippers are too used to the gamepad controls to adjust now.

Even if it's bad, you really should have a gamepad for PC gaming nowadays since most console ports are better with one.

Orayn

• Super-premium retail collector's edition of Dark Souls 2 on PC
  • Full Steamworks
  • Valve Anti-Cheat
  • Modding SDK
  • Steam Workshop support
  • Extensive graphics options with configuration/tweaking app by Durante
  • Optimized KB/M controls
  • Alternative PC HUD a la Deus Ex Human Revolution

baI8n.jpg

You can use a PS3 controller with MotionInJoy or x360ce.

Tess3ract

Banned
Game isn't meant to run at 60fps, it would change things for the worst if it was unlocked. It would have had to have been coded for 60fps.
The fact you're saying this, is actually a bad thing.

There should be no reason for locking important things to fps speed, but console devs do it because it's easier to do with aging hardware.

Zzoram

There should be no reason for locking important things to fps speed, but console devs do it because it's easier to do with aging hardware.

They likely won't do it again for Dark Souls 2, but they did do it with this game so 60fps would make the game go turbo mode.

That might actually will make the game harder since it cuts down your timing windows so maybe some people will actually want to play turbo mode.

Orayn

The sprites for the weapon icons look pixelated, or rather, rough the edges (look at the axe). What's up with that?

They're being scaled up because we've gone well beyond the resolutions From was thinking Dark Souls would be rendered at.

Is there a rough guide to what SL people generally co-op with in each area?

When I played originally on 360 I levelled as soon as I had the souls, but felt kinda over levelled near the end of the first run.

Orayn

Is there a rough guide to what SL people generally co-op with in each area?

When I played originally on 360 I levelled as soon as I had the souls, but felt kinda over levelled near the end of the first run.

This is a bit dated, but it's what you're looking for.

To do co-op, I recommend SL 15 for
Gargoyles,
, 20 for
Capra Demon
, 25 for
Gaping Dragon
, and around 30 for
Queelag
, and 35-40 for
Iron Golem
and
Smough and Ornstein

bitoriginal

When they made Demons and Dark souls they made design choices that make things tougher for the player to encourage the Souls experience. They disabled party chat on XBL in Dark Souls, and purposely made it hard to play with friends for example. 30fps was part of their vision and the game was designed to be played that way. Whether they did that because it was aging hardware is irrelevant, it's how the game is meant to be played.

Tess3ract

Banned
The sprites for the weapon icons look pixelated, or rather, rough the edges (look at the axe). What's up with that?
The UI is low resolution and doesn't get downscaled per se

When they made Demons and Dark souls they made design choices that make things tougher for the player to encourage the Souls experience. They disabled party chat on XBL in Dark Souls, and purposely made it hard to play with friends for example. 30fps was part of their vision and the game was designed to be played that way. Whether they did that because it was aging hardware is irrelevant, it's how the game is meant to be played.
*shakes head violently*

NO. 30fps is a performance choice, and is for most people a bare minimum before they start to complain about fps drops. Well 20 is. Regardless they could have ran this at 60fps, there's no design reason they couldn't. The reason they did this is because the hardware on the 360/ps3 is now shit in comparison to PCs today. By locking it to 30fps, they provide a fps baseline, and even then you see in blighttown the consoles could barely handle it. You see people in this very thread bitching about fps dips. 30fps->20fps is not really too noticable. 60fps to 20fps drops is EXTREMELY noticeable.

Orayn

Let's not be coy - Though they don't absolutely need it, the Souls games would benefit from 60 FPS. From Software has a long history of games with sagging framerates.

Grief.exe

Because the sprites were designed for a fixed resolution, now they are strectched out and showing their console roots.

I do get surprised at the quality of some of the textures in this game though, look at the bricks on the ground to my right in this shot.

Downsampled from 1440p btw.

NO. 30fps is a performance choice, and is for most people a bare minimum before they start to complain about fps drops. Well 20 is. Regardless they could have ran this at 60fps, there's no design reason they couldn't. The reason they did this is because the hardware on the 360/ps3 is now shit in comparison to PCs today. By locking it to 30fps, they provide a fps baseline, and even then you see in blighttown the consoles could barely handle it. You see people in this very thread bitching about fps dips. 30fps->20fps is not really too noticable. 60fps to 20fps drops is EXTREMELY noticeable.

Its because their animations are tied to the frame rate. Meaning they calculated their animations to go 1:1 with the frame rate, easy way out but works for console. They didn't expect this game to come to the PC.

They didn't design the game to be harder because of the 30fps, like bitoriginal is implying. Lets not be ridiculous.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
The really weird thing about the Dark Souls UI is that it actually looks jaggy in the console versions. Higher resolutions make it stand out a bit more, but even at 1024x720 on the consoles I always thought it looked a bit off.

Top Bottom