• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Ugh I just
screwed up and used it away from a fire QQ

I think most people do this at some point. You live and you learn, don't beat yourself up over it. It's actually
impossible to max out your Estus Flask in a single playthrough anyhow, so it's really not a big deal at all in the long run.

gdt

Man, some of these textures just look insane. Stuff that could barely be made out in the console versions, like Exodus's most recent pics (specifically the 2nd one).

hudless2.png

The UI is low resolution and doesn't get downscaled per se

*shakes head violently*

NO. 30fps is a performance choice, and is for most people a bare minimum before they start to complain about fps drops. Well 20 is. Regardless they could have ran this at 60fps, there's no design reason they couldn't. The reason they did this is because the hardware on the 360/ps3 is now shit in comparison to PCs today. By locking it to 30fps, they provide a fps baseline, and even then you see in blighttown the consoles could barely handle it. You see people in this very thread bitching about fps dips. 30fps->20fps is not really too noticable. 60fps to 20fps drops is EXTREMELY noticeable.

I disagree. Anything below 30 is instantly noticeable. Anything below 24 is like a slideshow

bitoriginal

Its because their animations are tied to the frame rate. Meaning they calculated their animations to go 1:1 with the frame rate, easy way out but works for console. They didn't expect this game to come to the PC.

They didn't design the game to be harder because of the 30fps, like bitoriginal is implying. Lets not be ridiculous.

This is what I was getting at. I just said it in a terrible way.

Zeliard

The really weird thing about the Dark Souls UI is that it actually looks jaggy in the console versions. Higher resolutions make it stand out a bit more, but even at 1024x720 on the consoles I always thought it looked a bit off.

I've never liked the HUD in either Souls game. Always felt overly large and intrusive.

Zeliard

Lightning weapons aren't the default go-to the way they were at release. They're still useful, but as time has gone on people have twigged to the superiority of +15 weapons paired with enchantments and weapons without split damage types. Weapons that deal some damage of one type and some damage of another type have to go through more defenses than weapons that deal their damage of a single type. That's why my Lightning kit is backup and my main weapons are 100% Magic-type damage: the overall damage output is just better if I'm doing, say, 300 Magic-type damage compared to 150 Physical and 150 Lightning. That's actually pretty much the situation I've got with my two spears at the moment.

Non-scaling Lightning, Fire, and Chaos weapons are still good for heavily Vitality- and Endurance-focused builds that aren't pumping any combat stats, but for any Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, or Faith build I run I never use them as anything other than backup weapons. There are better options than non-scaling upgrades for any of those stats.

Interesting, guess I'll pump up the
Iaito
to +15 for my DEX build once I get it instead of going Lightning like before. Good to see they balanced stuff out.

ArynCrinn

Banned
The fact you're saying this, is actually a bad thing.

There should be no reason for locking important things to fps speed, but console devs do it because it's easier to do with aging hardware.

It was a straight console port though, not coded from scratch for the PC, not even optimized really. And not given a lot of time and money for the port anyway, people expected way too much. But even with that it feels smooth and great at 30fps... They also did it so the game would run basically really well if you meet base requirements.

How does x360ce fare for PS3 controllers?

zkylon

zkylewd
  • Super-premium retail collector's edition of Dark Souls 2 on PC
  • Full Steamworks
  • Valve Anti-Cheat
  • Modding SDK
  • Steam Workshop support
  • Extensive graphics options with configuration/tweaking app by Durante
  • Optimized KB/M controls
  • Alternative PC HUD a la Deus Ex Human Revolution
More like...

tumblr_m5ujhwo8Cb1rt9s85o1_500.gif

Kalnos

Banned
I hadn't played much but fair warning: I changed my GFWL Gamertag and my save data is gone, so it must be tied to the tag name or something.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
  • Super-premium retail collector's edition of Dark Souls 2 on PC
  • Full Steamworks
  • Valve Anti-Cheat
  • Modding SDK
  • Steam Workshop support
  • Extensive graphics options with configuration/tweaking app by Durante
  • Optimized KB/M controls
  • Alternative PC HUD a la Deus Ex Human Revolution

I'm still fond of the purist opinion here I guess. I do not really want modders touching this game in terms of gameplay content. Fixes like Durante's fix are nice though.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Ignore my retarded comment about auto-hiding the cursor, was using a old version of the fix I guess... Praise The Durante!

Jumping back in on my beast rig in about an hour, once I'm done testing performance it's going to be a straight up Faith focused build, for once.

Just beaten
Gaping Dragon

Pretty easy if you have already played the console versions. Very predictable.

By the way, when can we have access to the new areas?

ixix

Interesting, guess I'll pump up the
Iaito
to +15 for my DEX build once I get it instead of going Lightning like before. Good to see they balanced stuff out.

Interestingly the patch didn't really do much balance-wise in terms of non-scaling weapons. A lot of the Lightning love in the game's early days was just a result of them being readily available with no searching high and low for exotic items and being rather effective. They're a fine default choice, but it was more increased understanding of the way the game worked than balance changes that made the non-scaling upgrade passion ebb.

Lightning isn't even really the strongest non-scaling path, Chaos with 10 stored Humanity is*. But in the early days of the game there were plenty of people who didn't even know that
Vamos
existed, let alone understand the intricacies of his upgrade options. By comparison, Lightning was available, like, right there and right now, which I think was a big part of how popular it was when the game first came out.

*There are exceptions to this, but it's usually true.

Jesus Christ at the Taurus Demon. I've tried him three times now, but this last attempt was frustrating. I couldn't dodge properly at all for some reason. On one of the dodge rolls I got stuck on who-knows-what because life hates me, got hit for tons of damage (which resulted in a "drink potion, get hit right after" game), and then got hit and ultimately
knocked off the tower and into the abyss
(which was actually hilarious, but I was just "ugh" and quit to cool off).

The most depressing thing about this attempt is that I had gotten there without too much trouble from the regular enemies unlike the first two. The first two tries I damaged and dodged him pretty damn well, but I was always low on potions.

I'll give it another try in a bit.

Finalow

I guess that this time I'll try the mage build with the Moonlight Greatsword, let's see if it's better than the great "noob-friendly" BKGA.

ixix

So has anybody checked to see if they fixed the Chaos Pyromancy glitch and the Power Within glitch? I meant to, but grabbing them sort of slipped my mind since I'm not using Pyromancy.

By the way, when can we have access to the new areas?

Very vague, general version:
you need to have placed the Lordvessel and rescued Dusk of Oolacile.

Specific version:

You need to place the Lordvessel then go to the Duke's Archive. Inside the Archive you'll find a crystal golem that didn't used to be there right near the entrance, in the room connected to the first elevator. He drops a broken pendant. Once you have it you can go back to the cave in Darkroot Basin where you rescued Dusk from the golden golem. There'll be a black cloud. Touch it and you'll be in the new area.

Orayn

I'm still fond of the purist opinion here I guess. I do not really want modders touching this game in terms of gameplay content. Fixes like Durante's fix are nice though.

From Software themselves said they liked the idea of mods. As long as they were kept sandboxed in some way, I'd be fine with them.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I'm NOT down sampling. I have it @ 1920x1200.
Is this weapon better.

Wow look at that. I beat this game on ps3 and could never make out that was sword hilt coming out of the fire. I thought it was just sticks or something lol. That pic looks really good!

So has anybody checked to see if they fixed the Chaos Pyromancy glitch and the Power Within glitch? I meant to, but grabbing them sort of slipped my mind since I'm not using Pyromancy.

Very vague, general version:
you need to have placed the Lordvessel and rescued Dusk of Oolacile.

Specific version:

You need to place the Lordvessel then go to the Duke's Archive. Inside the Archive you'll find a crystal golem that didn't used to be there right near the entrance, in the room connected to the first elevator. He drops a broken pendant. Once you have it you can go back to the cave in Darkroot Basin where you rescued Dusk from the golden golem. There'll be a black cloud. Touch it and you'll be in the new area.

Just seen it a few pages back. Thanks antway. I still have a couple of hours left till I reach the objective.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
From Software themselves said they liked the idea of mods. As long as they were kept sandboxed in some way, I'd be fine with them.

What do you mean by kept "sandboxed?" Setting aside some sort of special mode for using mods?

I'd be okay with that.

Tess3ract

Banned
Cheats work fine though. This game should have mods, for sure.

Custom adventures/new content anyone??

Revoh

Is there a way to change the Xbox 360's buttons in the game?
I don't know the controller, I'd rather use PS3's buttons if they're available as a patch or something

Razek

Banned
Sorry this is just random thoughts in the middle of discussion. I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

So far, I've played about ~5 hours and I liked Demon Souls much better. The checkpoints in demon souls were predictable unlike here where I have to fight multiple bosses before getting a chance to use a checkpoint. Demon Souls felt harder as well, but more rewarding. Here, I am getting generally only getting penalized stupid things, like it not counting a backstab correctly.

Still having loads of fun though. Can't wait to find a different weapon. The few I have now just are boring to use.

Grief.exe

Sorry this is just random thoughts in the middle of discussion. I'm trying to avoid spoilers.

So far, I've played about ~5 hours and I liked Demon Souls much better. The checkpoints in demon souls were predictable unlike here where I have to fight multiple bosses before getting a chance to use a checkpoint. Demon Souls felt harder as well, but more rewarding. Here, I am getting generally only getting penalized stupid things, like it not counting a backstab correctly.

Still having loads of fun though. Can't wait to find a different weapon. The few I have now just are boring to use.

I've never played either game.

But from what I remember hearing about Demon Souls, it was more split up into specific levels. So you knew when exactly when you beat a level.

Dark Souls is more about open world and being able to explore and make your own adventure, no matter the consequences.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Jesus Christ at the Taurus Demon. I've tried him three times now, but this last attempt was frustrating. I couldn't dodge properly at all for some reason. On one of the dodge rolls I got stuck on who-knows-what because life hates me, got hit for tons of damage (which resulted in a "drink potion, get hit right after" game), and then got hit and ultimately
knocked off the tower and into the abyss
(which was actually hilarious, but I was just "ugh" and quit to cool off).

The most depressing thing about this attempt is that I had gotten there without too much trouble from the regular enemies unlike the first two. The first two tries I damaged and dodged him pretty damn well, but I was always low on potions.

I'll give it another try in a bit.

The only good thing about the Taurus Demon is that you never face him alone in the game again.

Not sure what you mean...there are plenty of bonfires in between bosses, what area are you talking about?

Grief.exe

I just got cursed by the frogs in the depths. Had one more strike to kill him and I just wasn't lined up right and barely missed.

What do I do now? Says I needed an item or have to go to New Londo.

Sullichin

I just got cursed by the frogs in the depths. Had one more strike to kill him and I just wasn't lined up right and barely missed.

You need a purging stone. Closest place to buy one is the female undead merchant in the aqueduct leading to lower undead burg. Oswald, in the church is a bit further and sells them for cheaper. You can find the healer in New Londo but that's way harder.

Grief.exe

You need a purging stone. Closest place to buy one is the female undead merchant in the aqueduct leading to lower undead burg. Oswald, in the church is a bit further and sells them for cheaper. You can find the healer in New Londo but that's way harder.

Wow. Both of those are so far away from me right now.

I'm about to fight the boss of the depths.

You can buy an item from the covenant member in the church just after the gargoyles or you can get it removed if you make it to the npc in the new londo ruins. Curses are a bitch but they used to be more so in the original release - curses would stack up to 3 times leaving you with 1/8 health.

Edit: didn't know that the female undead merchant sold them. Good to know.

Razek

Banned
I've never played either game.

But from what I remember hearing about Demon Souls, it was more split up into specific levels. So you knew when exactly when you beat a level.

Dark Souls is more about open world and being able to explore and make your own adventure, no matter the consequences.

I personally just liked picking my level. It was more fun to do the game in the order I specifically wanted to. I haven't played enough though to make that complete judgement yet and I'm avoiding the wiki for my first run through.

Not sure what you mean...there are plenty of bonfires in between bosses, what area are you talking about?

The first city area. You get a bonfire just a bit into the level once you pass the aqueduct/sewer thing. Then you have to go quite a ways to get to the first boss on the castle wall. You go down by the dragon, go under the bridge up to the warthog thing, past him up to the knight shield location and that's where I fell off a cliff. Quite a ways to travel without a save point.

I personally just liked picking my level. It was more fun to do the game in the order I specifically wanted to. I haven't played enough though to make that complete judgement yet and I'm avoiding the wiki for my first run through.

The first city area. You get a bonfire just a bit into the level once you pass the aqueduct/sewer thing. Then you have to go quite a ways to get to the first boss on the castle wall. You go down by the dragon, go under the bridge up to the warthog thing, past him up to the knight shield location and that's where I fell off a cliff. Quite a ways to travel without a save point.

There's a shortcut to that first bonfire (if thats the same one you're talking about, the one right by the hidden merchant)
underneath that dragon, instead of going across under the bridge there's a door to the left of that, go that way and kick the ladder down

there's also another shortcut back to that bonfire later on, i think

Top Bottom