• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

TheExodu5

Banned
The first city area. You get a bonfire just a bit into the level once you pass the aqueduct/sewer thing. Then you have to go quite a ways to get to the first boss on the castle wall. You go down by the dragon, go under the bridge up to the warthog thing, past him up to the knight shield location and that's where I fell off a cliff. Quite a ways to travel without a save point.

The halfway point on the bridge...you can lower a ladder to reconnect to the bonfire at the start of Undeadburg.

Razek

Banned
There's a shortcut to that first bonfire (if thats the same one you're talking about, the one right by the hidden merchant)
underneath that dragon, instead of going across under the bridge there's a door to the left of that, go that way and kick the ladder down

there's also another shortcut back to that bonfire later on, i think

The halfway point on the bridge...you can lower a ladder to reconnect to the bonfire at the start of Undeadburg.

Thanks guys. I was getting tired of running past all the enemies over and over. Guess I should be looking around more for that kind of stuff.

Speaking of running past enemies, I find myself doing this a bit too much as the souls per kill just isn't worth the time in my opinion.

Grief.exe

So whats the fastest way from the bottom of the depths back to Firelink shrine? If I beat the gaping dragon, will there be a shortcut afterward?

Also why do I randomly get Estus Flasks replenished everyonce in a while.

Bell just went off, LOVE THAT.

This game...

So whats the fastest way from the bottom of the depths back to Firelink shrine? If I beat the gaping dragon, will there be a shortcut afterward?

Also why do I randomly get Estus Flasks replenished everyonce in a while.

If I recall you get replenishments when someone "Kindles" the bonfire that you're currently 'situated' at, if you know what I mean.

Grief.exe

Oh

Getting cursed was worth it, just found my first ring. The ring of the evil eye, gives 30 HP on a kill.

Good for sustain.

I contacted Steam about trying to get a refund for this game. Hope it works out and I'm not out $40 for a unplayable game.

Why would you pay $40 when you can get it on GMG for $30 at the highest, I personally got it there for $20.

What kind of problems are you going through? Let us help you. Game is not worth missing out on man, its amazing.

Zeliard

Mildred
is so useless, lol. I'm trying to ring the lower bell at the start of the game at a low level, so I figured I'd
use her as a distraction and she just ran into lava the entire time, doing nothing except losing health. Not used to using NPC summons so I don't know if they're generally that silly. :p

What kind of problems are you going through? Let us help you. Game is not worth missing out on man, its amazing.

I have the game on PS3 still, so I'm just going to play that. The problems I've had are mainly stemming from my refusal to use a gamepad. Mouse and Keyboard is literally unplayable in its current form. It is a terrible terrible port.

But ya... I really hope I get my money back :p

Grief.exe

I have the game on PS3 still, so I'm just going to play that. The problems I've had are mainly stemming from my refusal to use a gamepad. Mouse and Keyboard is literally unplayable in its current form. It is a terrible terrible port.

But ya... I really hope I get my money back :p

Get a blue tooth adapter for $5 and use the gamepad with motion joy. It will work fine.

This game would suffer from lack of analog movements anyways. Positioning is key, and digital inputs aren't optimal.

Mildred
is so useless, lol. I'm trying to ring the lower bell at the start of the game at a low level, so I figured I'd
use her as a distraction and she just ran into lava the entire time, doing nothing except losing health. Not used to using NPC summons so I don't know if they're generally that silly. :p

She worked amazingly well for me. She tanked most of the fight and I didn't have much trouble at all. I tried to summon other players for it but got the summoning failed error twice

getting back up to firelink is a bitch though. I don't even know if i'm going to be able to do it, I keep getting poisoned and toxic'd and swarmed by all the mosquitos and spider guys

Zeliard

She worked amazingly well for me. She tanked most of the fight and I didn't have much trouble at all. I tried to summon other players for it but got the summoning failed error twice

getting back up to firelink is a bitch though. I don't even know if i'm going to be able to do it, I keep getting poisoned and toxic'd and swarmed by all the mosquitos and spider guys

Gonna try it with her again. Maybe if I just stay around her she'll not be as dumb. I just tried it once with her and at some point while fighting Queelag, I realized Milfred wasn't around, and I looked for her and she was just stuck in the lava with her health draining rapidly, lol.

I'm only doing like 10 damage per hit on Queelag, so it's gonna be an interesting fight. She one-shotted me with her AOE attack a few mins ago, totally forgot about that move.

And the
swamp is annoying yeah, because I inevitably get poisoned going from the bonfire to Queelag since I just have starting gear, and it sucks having to sit there and wait for the poison bar to go away. I picked up the Spider Shield in Valley of the Drakes along the way, so the bugs are less of an issue, but it obviously does nothing about the swamp.

Gonna try it with her again. Maybe if I just stay around her she'll not be as dumb. I just tried it once with her and at some point while fighting Queelag, I realized Milfred wasn't around, and I looked for her and she was just stuck in the lava with her health draining rapidly, lol.

I'm only doing like 10 damage per hit on Queelag, so it's gonna be an interesting fight. She one-shotted me with her AOE attack a few mins ago, totally forgot about that move.

And the
swamp is annoying yeah, because I inevitably get poisoned going from the bonfire to Queelag since I just have starting gear, and it sucks having to sit there and wait for the poison bar to go away. I picked up the Spider Shield in Valley of the Drakes along the way, so the bugs are less of an issue, but it obviously does nothing about the swamp.

I picked up the tin banishment catalyst on the way down and used that. Think it was like 42 damage per hit. completely forgot to 2hand it though. i also had to waste a couple points in INT to use it

Razek

Banned
Can somebody explain to me in semi non-spoilerish way what 'removing hallow' does vs. 'kindling' the fire? I don't feel like wasting a bunch of humanity to find out.

I take it back. This game is better than demon souls. It only needed to fix one thing that I forgot ruined DS for me, load screens.

Zeliard

Can somebody explain to me in semi non-spoilerish way what 'removing hallow' does vs. 'kindling' the fire? I don't feel like wasting a bunch of humanity to find out.

Removing hollow costs 1 humanity and turns you human, after which point certain options open up, i.e. summoning others into your game for co-op.

Kindling a fire is another one of those options, and it upgrades a bonfire which permanently adds to its flask count (it's one of the best uses for humanity). It also requires you to have 1 humanity available on top of being in human form, so if you weren't already in human form, you need to use 2 humanity to kindle a fire.

I'm loving playing the game again. It's like coming home. The only thing is you'll never have that first time again. That tension of going into new areas you've never seen, no idea what's around the corner. I can't wait to hit the new content.

It's also crazy how almost every enemy location is burned into my mind even though I haven't played in like 8 months and I only played through the game twice.

Razek

Banned
Removing hollow costs 1 humanity and turns you human, after which point certain options open up, i.e. summoning others into your game for co-op.

Kindling a fire is another one of those options, and it upgrades a bonfire which permanently adds to its flask count (it's one of the best uses for humanity). It also requires you to have 1 humanity available on top of being in human form, so if you weren't already in human form, you need to use 2 humanity to kindle a fire.

Thank you very much. I wondered why the first one had 10 flasks while the others had only 5. Very informative!

I'm loving playing the game again. It's like coming home. The only thing is you'll never have that first time again. That tension of going into new areas you've never seen, no idea what's around the corner. I can't wait to hit the new content.

It's also crazy how almost every enemy location is burned into my mind even though I haven't played in like 8 months and I only played through the game twice.
I know exactly what you mean. If they'd just worked out the connectivity issues it'd be damn near perfect.

Yeah, which is why its fun reading people's impressions as they go in. Already seen one or two meltdowns hehe.

ACE 1991

Alright guys, I have bullshit GFWL-related problem. So I registered my Dark Souls Product key under the account that GFWL automatically recognized, which is an old account I used back when I had and actively used an xbox 360. However, upon signing in and registering the key I get an error reading "Your parent's Windows Live ID isn't valid. Your parent needs to choose a different Windows Live ID to manage your account." I have no idea what email I had registered (or why) to this account in the past. I tried creating a new Xbox profile and when I tried to register the Dark Souls product key it told me it was already in use by a different account. Can you really only have one account tied to each key? If so, does anyone have any ideas how I can change the "parent's" live ID? I really want to play, and would greatly appreciate any help here.

EDIT: Fixed!

Zeliard

Thank you very much. I wondered why the first one had 10 flasks while the others had only 5. Very informative!

Additional note: bonfires with a
"Fire Keeper"
(just a tiny spoiler) around them like the starting area, Firelink, are already kindled and so that's why they automatically start off with 10 flasks.

GooeyHeat

One more try: Games For Windows Live is causing my game to lock up whenever an enemy hits me, I block an attack, or I backstab an enemy. I know it's GFWL because I managed to start it again after it had crashed, and it started without GFWL, and I didn't have the glitch (but I couldn't save, of course). If anyone else has any idea what the hell is going on, or even just has the same problem, please let me know, because I'm at my wit's end.

Got Summoned for the first time on this version, so that seems to be working fine. Cool thing about getting summoned by the bell tower is you get the hear the person ring it after you help them beat the boss. :)

Yo Gotti

Banned
Any vets made it to the new content yet?

Would love some as-spoiler-free-as-possible impressions of the new zones, enemies, items, etc.

ArynCrinn

Banned
If anybody has any clue how to use a PS3 controller with x360ce work with Dark Souls, please link me or explain it to me. Been fiddling around with it for a hour and...nothing works. My only recourse seems to be Motionjoy, and I'm not using that, got a BSOD due to it for the first time since XP days...

I posted in the regular thread in Community, but it's full of spoilers. Basically, I think I've seen all the new areas now. Overall, this is some of the scariest stuff in the game. Basically, Oolacile
has gone completely insane, so there's mutated people everywhere.
Then you go underground to
face the reason everything is so fucked up
and it's even scarier.

Not many items to speak of yet. Got two new boss souls, one I don't know what to do with and the other I was offered to trade for what turned out to be a set of daggers.

Lots of new enemies, but the first area uses ones that are quite familiar. There's a reason for that though.

Razek

Banned
I'm having a lot more fun now that I have a weapon I actually like! Spears are so cool, I'm happy they included them. Love the spear and shield combo.

Though I'm getting frustrated because the big knight guys in the undead parish are either the cheatiest jerks ever or horribly flawed. They do that 'raise sword' animation which means they will do that 'auto parry mega damage move' to you if you try to attack them. However, sometimes they are just barely starting the animation while you are in mid attack and there is nothing you can do about it, get parried, and take a death for no real reason. Really sucks to get killed and lose a bunch of souls to unfair stuff like that. I don't mind dying because of my own fault, fighting hard enemies, or rushing. Especially when you hiding behind a shield attacking with a spear, and they negate your shield completely.

If anybody has any clue how to use a PS3 controller with x360ce work with Dark Souls, please link me or explain it to me. Been fiddling around with it for a hour and...nothing works. My only recourse seems to be Motionjoy, and I'm not using that, got a BSOD due to it for the first time since XP days...

Weird. I've used motionjoy for over a year now constantly (including for this game) and haven't had an issue yet. Sure it wasn't something else?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
About one of the new bosses:

I've beaten Manus in co-op five times now, and every time I've done my level best to cut his tail off. I've aimed for the base, I've aimed for the middle, I've aimed for the tip. None of them have worked. The tail makes the little critical hit animation when you hit it so presumably it really does come off, but damned if I can figure out how to convince it to do so.

I'm really starting to think that Seath and Priscilla's tails ain't got nothing on this guy's.

Quikies83

Is anyone else not seeing summon signs all of a sudden?? I posted about this a few hours ago but it's still going on.... I'm only SL21 but last night I was seeing TONS of soap signs and now NOTHING besides the NPC signs.. I don't get it..

ArynCrinn

Banned
Weird. I've used motionjoy for over a year now constantly (including for this game) and haven't had an issue yet. Sure it wasn't something else?

It happened about a year and a half ago, so maybe it was just a older version of DS3. But yeah, directly after installing it I had that issue and never since. But it also interfered with my regular 360 controller's drivers, and was a bitch to uninstall. So I just didn't know if there was a alt way to use the PS3 controller without Motionjoy...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
OK GAF, you did it. You made me buy the game, and I've never played any of the Souls before. Durante, you're a fucking genius, and thanks to you and your wonderful work I'll be able to enjoy (and suffer!) this game on my PC, with the resolution it deserves.

So yeah, in 1:40 hour I'll have the game downloaded, and I'm sure that not long after that, I'm gonna be here screaming in frustration :p

Top Bottom