• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

If anybody has any clue how to use a PS3 controller with x360ce work with Dark Souls, please link me or explain it to me. Been fiddling around with it for a hour and...nothing works. My only recourse seems to be Motionjoy, and I'm not using that, got a BSOD due to it for the first time since XP days...

ideally, install motionjoy first, then plug in the ps3 controller
install driver in the motionjoy software
-motionjoy, should have detected your controller by now-
choose xbox 360 option, then map the keys in "option" to the right
-save-
go back to "profiles"
press enable

it should work by then.

when youre done playing, before unplugging, press disconnect or else you would turn on your ps3.

if your y axis analogs are inverted, just press reverse then save again

When I played the 360 version, it took me like 15 hours to get to the church. This time around I'm clocking 4 hours till the same spot. God, I love this game. The part with the Gargoyles is where I stopped playing the 360 version. Can't wait to see what the rest of the game has in store.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Is anyone else not seeing summon signs all of a sudden?? I posted about this a few hours ago but it's still going on.... I'm only SL21 but last night I was seeing TONS of soap signs and now NOTHING besides the NPC signs.. I don't get it..

I've got the opposite going on. I had nothing but connectivity issues until just a few hours ago, but then all of a sudden I've got practically non-stop jolly co-operation going on, and a fair number of invaders.

The game definitely seems to be having trouble synchronizing more than two co-op players, though. I don't think that I've ever been in a full three-man team in the PC version unless one of the phantoms was AI-controlled one. Not sure what's up with that.

On a related note: I'm running an Int build, and I'm having no end of fun using one of the new spells on invaders. I'm planning on running this puppy into the ground while nobody knows how to defend against it. I've gotten two messages along the general lines of "What the hell did you just shoot me with?" from invaders already, and I'm going to see how many I can rack up before the new spells become common knowledge.

Orayn

When I played the 360 version, it took me like 15 hours to get to the church. This time around I'm clocking 4 hours till the same spot. God, I love this game. The part with the Gargoyles is where I stopped playing the 360 version. Can't wait to see what the rest of the game has in store.

I compressed ~30 hours of gameplay into 10 over the past two days, and that was with a TON of co-op.

Blight Town at a consistent frame rate is actually really fun.

Isn't it? Awesomely tense, precarious level design. The framerate was the only thing wrong with it on console.

Vaporak

So I've played for about 12 hours now and never been invaded. Also, summoning basically never works. Are the online features supposed to be this....useless?

how many people here are first time players?

first time Souls game player checking in.

I've made myself a Cleric, Parsifal by name, and I just beat the tutorial boss.

I am really trying to avoid checking faq's to keep the game experience as fresh as possible, but I also don't want to make poor stat decisions early that force me to re-roll later on. Could a kind soul just ever so slightly hint at what kind of stats I should be choosing to level up early?

slimer5

Neo Member
how many people here are first time players?

Right here. Played a bit of Demon Souls a few months ago, but stopped for some reason. I have watched a lot of gameplay videos/streams of Dark Souls ever since it came out, but never pulled the trigger. I'm excited to get into it relatively blind, but right now I'm spending seemingly too much time tweaking my system along with the DSfix to get the best performance. For some reason, it isn't working as well as it sounds like it should be.

So I've played for about 12 hours now and never been invaded. Also, summoning basically never works. Are the online features supposed to be this....useless?

I've been summoned a few times tonight but I wasn't invaded earlier at all when I was running around the Gargoyle Bell Tower in human form before I decided to take on the boss.

ixix

Blight Town at a consistent frame rate is actually really fun.

I took a tumble to my death because the stable frame rate completely threw off my whole sense of Blighttown rhythm. It was like I was on a putrescent dance floor only to suddenly find that I had two left feet and a very long way to fall.

It's been feast or famine for me today. I'm hoping that things will start to stabilize as the player base starts getting distributed over the game's various areas. I basically did a speedrun to the new content and a lot of the areas were ghost towns. Or, perhaps more accurately, lack-of-ghost towns.

Quikies83

I've got the opposite going on. I had nothing but connectivity issues until just a few hours ago, but then all of a sudden I've got practically non-stop jolly co-operation going on, and a fair number of invaders.

The game definitely seems to be having trouble synchronizing more than two co-op players, though. I don't think that I've ever been in a full three-man team in the PC version unless one of the phantoms was AI-controlled one. Not sure what's up with that.

On a related note: I'm running an Int build, and I'm having no end of fun using one of the new spells on invaders. I'm planning on running this puppy into the ground while nobody knows how to defend against it. I've gotten two messages along the general lines of "What the hell did you just shoot me with?" from invaders already, and I'm going to see how many I can rack up before the new spells become common knowledge.

I haven't had any traffic (invaders or coop players) since last night.. From the Depths, Blighttown, Queelags Domain, and now Sens Fortress.. ZERO signs... I'm seeing messages but no signs... something strange is going on.

I am really trying to avoid checking faq's to keep the game experience as fresh as possible, but I also don't want to make poor stat decisions early that force me to re-roll later on. Could a kind soul just ever so slightly hint at what kind of stats I should be choosing to level up early?

and lol I did it on an unsync'ed windows account, when I just rebooted the game and signed in with my proper LIVE account I lost my save :)

Good thing I wasn't too far in.

Maedhros

Game runs really bad on my RIG. I was expecting it though... I need a new PC...

Q8200 2.33GHz
GTS250
4GB DDR2

I can play many things, but the config is really outdated, I know.

Isn't it? Awesomely tense, precarious level design. The framerate was the only thing wrong with it on console.

I actually took my time to explore rather than just rushing. Although, man both The Depths and Blight Town take on a new level of visual nasty with Durante's fix. Mean that as a compliment, the details are sickening.

ixix

Here's a quick-and-dirty guide to stats. A lot of stats start dropping off dramatically in usefulness at higher levels due to diminishing returns. If you stay within these guidelines you're pretty much guaranteed to not screw over your stat allocation:

Vitality: As high as you want. More HP is always better. As a general rule I usually aim for 30-40 points on all my characters.
Attunement: 14, 16, 19, and 23 are the magic numbers here. Those give you 3, 4, 5, and 6 Attunement slots, respectively. You don't need more than 6 Attunement slots. Trust me. My current character is a total spell spammer and I'm getting by just fine with 4 slots.
Endurance: After 40 it stops increasing your Stamina, so stop there. Up to 40 points is useful on any character.
Strength: I never go above 40, personally. For a first-time player I think 16 is an excellent target. That gives you access to a representative of pretty much every weapon type in the game, so you can try them out and see what you like, all without spending much by way of stats.
Dexterity: Once again, I never go above 40. 14 is a good target for a first time player for the same reasons as above. Also a 16/14 Str/Dex split is needed for one of the absolute best weapons in the game.
Resistance: Do not put a single point into this. Ever.
Intelligence: Good up to 50 points if you're using Sorcery. Since you started as a Cleric you should probably ignore this stat.
Faith: 50 points will allow you to learn every Miracle in the game. The best PvP Miracle can be used at 28 points, so if you're looking to primarily fight other players you can stop there.

I think those are some pretty good basic guidelines for a beginner. A simple 16/14 Str/Dex split then focusing everything into Vitality, Endurance, and Faith would probably be the most basic but versatile and effective build I can think of for a Cleric start. Focus on Endurance when there's heavier equipment you want to use, focus on Faith when new Miracles come available that you don't meet the requirements for, and if you have neither equipment or Miracles waiting in the wings just pump Vitality.

Grief.exe

So just beat the Gaping Dragon, fight was easy but it takes so long and he can essentially one shot me. Just a war of attrition.

So now that I have the Blight Town key, I have the Master Key but didn't want to miss anything, where should I go next? Do I work my way through the cemetary to Blight Town I'm guessing.

This is my first play through so I don't want too many spoilers, but I don't want to go the wrong way forever too lol.

I unlocked the pyromancer, I got his glove, but do I have to buy a spell too to make it work?

and lol I did it on an unsync'ed windows account, when I just rebooted the game and signed in with my proper LIVE account I lost my save :)

Good thing I wasn't too far in.

Most important stats are probably VIT and END early on. Even with a cleric you'll need to be able to block and END increases your endurance bar making it easier to defend and attack more effectively.

A few other small non-spoilery tips:

1) kindling bondfires gives you 10 potions every time you go to that bondfire. Extremely useful (to kindle turn to human then select "kindle" at bondfires.

2) if an area/enemy seems way too hard (one or two hit kill you) you probably arent supposed to be there yet. Explore elsewhere.

3) when in human form you can summon NPCs or even online players to help you at call signs. Extremely helpful a some boss fights.

4) keep your shield up at all times except when your END bar is low.

Here's a quick-and-dirty guide to stats. A lot of stats start dropping off dramatically in usefulness at higher levels due to diminishing returns. If you stay within these guidelines you're pretty much guaranteed to not screw over your stat allocation:

Vitality: As high as you want. More HP is always better. As a general rule I usually aim for 30-40 points on all my characters.
Attunement: 14, 16, 19, and 23 are the magic numbers here. Those give you 3, 4, 5, and 6 Attunement slots, respectively. You don't need more than 6 Attunement slots. Trust me. My current character is a total spell spammer and I'm getting by just fine with 4 slots.
Endurance: After 40 it stops increasing your Stamina, so stop there. Up to 40 points is useful on any character.
Strength: I never go above 40, personally. For a first-time player I think 16 is an excellent target. That gives you access to a representative of pretty much every weapon type in the game, so you can try them out and see what you like, all without spending much by way of stats.
Dexterity: Once again, I never go above 40. 14 is a good target for a first time player for the same reasons as above. Also a 16/14 Str/Dex split is needed for one of the absolute best weapons in the game.
Resistance: Do not put a single point into this. Ever.
Intelligence: Good up to 50 points if you're using Sorcery. Since you started as a Cleric you should probably ignore this stat.
Faith: 50 points will allow you to learn every Miracle in the game. The best PvP Miracle can be used at 28 points, so if you're looking to primarily fight other players you can stop there.

I think those are some pretty good basic guidelines for a beginner. A simple 16/14 Str/Dex split then focusing everything into Vitality, Endurance, and Faith would probably be the most basic but versatile and effective build I can think of for a Cleric start. Focus on Endurance when there's heavier equipment you want to use, focus on Faith when new Miracles come available that you don't meet the requirements for, and if you have neither equipment or Miracles waiting in the wings just pump Vitality.

This is a pretty goid breakdown. Although the great thing about Dark Souls is that it really works with a lot of different builds that dont play much alike. Except Resistance. You're right about it being useless.

Personally I adore the melee combat so I like heavy END builds that let me get in close and dance with block, counter, and perry.

Also should be noted that it really doesnt matter much what starting class you use. You can easily turn any class into any type of character. Only really matters for early game.

RedSwirl

Jesus Christ at the Taurus Demon. I've tried him three times now, but this last attempt was frustrating. I couldn't dodge properly at all for some reason. On one of the dodge rolls I got stuck on who-knows-what because life hates me, got hit for tons of damage (which resulted in a "drink potion, get hit right after" game), and then got hit and ultimately
knocked off the tower and into the abyss
(which was actually hilarious, but I was just "ugh" and quit to cool off).

The most depressing thing about this attempt is that I had gotten there without too much trouble from the regular enemies unlike the first two. The first two tries I damaged and dodged him pretty damn well, but I was always low on potions.

I'll give it another try in a bit.

Dude is weak to fire. Took me a while before I figured that out too.

zkylon

zkylewd
Went up the stairs just because everyone told me not to and guy with the horns wrecked me lol.

Managed to get a very smooth framerate at 2560x1600, but it dipped sometimes, so I'll stick with 1920x1200. At 3840x2400, it would often plunge into the mid 10s.

So just beat the Gaping Dragon, fight was easy but it takes so long and he can essentially one shot me. Just a war of attrition.

So now that I have the Blight Town key, I have the Master Key but didn't want to miss anything, where should I go next? Do I work my way through the cemetary to Blight Town I'm guessing.

This is my first play through so I don't want too many spoilers, but I don't want to go the wrong way forever too lol.

I unlocked the pyromancer, I got his glove, but do I have to buy a spell too to make it work?

Go to Blight Town next. Enjoy yourself.

And yeah, Gaping Dragon is easy, but the fight lasted about 15 minutes. I really need a weapon upgrade for my bandit.

Jesus Christ at the Taurus Demon. I've tried him three times now, but this last attempt was frustrating. I couldn't dodge properly at all for some reason. On one of the dodge rolls I got stuck on who-knows-what because life hates me, got hit for tons of damage (which resulted in a "drink potion, get hit right after" game), and then got hit and ultimately
knocked off the tower and into the abyss
(which was actually hilarious, but I was just "ugh" and quit to cool off).

The most depressing thing about this attempt is that I had gotten there without too much trouble from the regular enemies unlike the first two. The first two tries I damaged and dodged him pretty damn well, but I was always low on potions.

I'll give it another try in a bit.

Good old Taurus Demon, I remember screaming in frustration on my umpteenth time trying to kill this guy and the utter elation when I finally did it. Then on my replay of the game I just totally trashed him in no time flat. Quite a difference after you practice on the much harder enemies :D

If you want a bit easier way to kill him,
if you sprint back to the first tower after making him spawn, climb the ladder (you can JUST make it before he reaches you if you arn't loaded down with armor) you can do the plunging attack just like in the tutorial on him and take off a BIG chunk of his health.

2AdEPT

If anybody has any clue how to use a PS3 controller with x360ce work with Dark Souls, please link me or explain it to me. Been fiddling around with it for a hour and...nothing works. My only recourse seems to be Motionjoy, and I'm not using that, got a BSOD due to it for the first time since XP days...

I love my Logitech game-pad...its not as nice as the PS3 controllers but I can't stand the config of the 350 controllers as I have played 1000 hours of souls on them and have become accustomed ....so even though its a bit stiff, the gamepad has worked well for me as its the exact same config as the PS3's....think I only paid $40 or less.

BTW AC I thanks you for your help ...my rig runs AWESOMELY....I'm gonna have to take a course on how to use everything I payed for like OC ability etc. but it will be fun to learn. loving the souls on high rez downscale!!! Looks beautiful!

@oracle Dragon - yeah melleed Taurus this time (no drops) with help (a Solaire clone no less...and he did belong to the covenant.)

Revenile

I got invaded about 40 minutes ago, it was a real close fight, but I lost in the end, I can't complain though, cause it was my mistake that cost the match.

Ianan

Do Ornstein & Smough seem to have a lot more HP in the PC version to any of you guys?

YES, I was streaming Dark Souls for 18 hour earlier (Just woke up) and spent about 2 of those hours trying to beat them. The initial fight against the both seems normal, but when it climax's to just fighting one, their HP seems to have gone wayyyy up.

HardRojo

May you, new souls, suffer the rage Dark Souls induces on you! I am looking forward to playing it on PC, Blighttown and The Depths at a solid 30fps sound wonderful enough.

YES, I was streaming Dark Souls for 18 hour earlier (Just woke up) and spent about 2 of those hours trying to beat them. The initial fight against the both seems normal, but when it climax's to just fighting one, their HP seems to have gone wayyyy up.

Oh great. It took me over 20 tries to beat those fuckers on 360. Goddamnit.

This scares the hell out of me.

Quikies83

Jesus fucking christ... So with my summoning problems (not seeing summon signs since last night) -- I decided to create a new character just to see if the problem carried over. I'm able to see summon signs and even summon with this new character... This is fucking bogus.
6 hours invested in my original character and I'm having these issues...

Jesus fucking christ... So with my summoning problems (not seeing summon signs since last night) -- I decided to create a new character just to see if the problem carried over. I'm able to see summon signs and even summon with this new character... This is fucking bogus.
6 hours invested in my original character and I'm having these issues...

That sucks. Hope the problem can be identified and remedied. Personally, though, I barely used other player summons; I just relied on NPCs.

I'm curious, what are the new spells? I did a Str build on 360 so I'm not overly familiar with all of the spells in the game, but I'm playing an Int build on the PC.

What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck I DONT UNDERSTAND GFWL

I bought dark souls installed it said I have to sign onto GFWL and so i put in the account and password then it says the profile could not sign into live may be a network problem. But i am right here on the internet so how is it a network problem! I will try making a new account for JUST this game.....

Somehow the 100 hours I put into Dragon's Dogma not only made me forget the control scheme, but completely screwed up my timing in Dark Souls.

I feel like a complete newb again... well, a newb with a Great Demon Hammer.

Well, I did beat the Capra Demon on my first try, which has never happened in my four prior playthroughs.

I bought dark souls installed it said I have to sign onto GFWL and so i put in the account and password then it says the profile could not sign into live may be a network problem. But i am right here on the internet so how is it a network problem! I will try making a new account for JUST this game.....

If you're not interested in playing online, download the crack. It essentially gets rid of GWFL.

Zzoram

Update GFWL manually, it may just be out of date. Then accept the TOS.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
May you, new souls, suffer the rage Dark Souls induces on you! I am looking forward to playing it on PC, Blighttown and The Depths at a solid 30fps sound wonderful enough.
Just 1.3 GB more and I'll suffer it myself. Unfortunately I've read a few things here, like what the master key does, and where to put the stat points, so it won't be a "real" new experience :(

does anyone has this problem?

B1Y0c.jpg

Just tried the mod and this happens

does anyone has this problem?

B1Y0c.jpg

Just tried the mod and this happens

Woah, that's pretty weird. What res do you have it set to in the ini file and the actual game?

The only problem I've been having is constant screen tearing, but the pretty graphics and awesome gameplay made me get over that pretty quickly.

Top Bottom