• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Update GFWL manually, it may just be out of date. Then accept the TOS.

Ah it is working now. I don't see how any company could possibly think that GFWL is a good thing..but then again From didn't really care too much about the pc port. Either way about to embark for the first time!

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm curious, what are the new spells? I did a Str build on 360 so I'm not overly familiar with all of the spells in the game, but I'm playing an Int build on the PC.

I've actually only found two so far:
Dark Bead, the Sorcery that I'm maiming invaders with, and Black Flame, a Pyromancy.

Dark Bead fires a horizontal spread of amorphous black projectiles directly in front of you. It casts about as fast as Soul Arrow, every projectile deals damage separately like the Soulmass spells, and it's got some weird damage formula. The item description says it deals physical damage, but that doesn't seem accurate because it seems to make a mockery of shields. If you fire it off at a distance the projectiles spread out and hit a wide area, if you fire it off point blank all projectiles hit the target immediately. If all projectiles hit it does more damage than Crystal Soul Spear, at least on the targets I've tried. One Attunement slot gets you 6 castings.

I've been pairing it with Homing Soulmass for invaders. Cast Soulmass as the invader closes and then ready Dark Bead. When the Soulmass fires off I cast Dark Bead. Either the invader tries to roll horizontally and gets hit by the spread, they try to fall back and eat the Soulmass, or they raise their shield and just get utterly obliterated by the sheer amount of damage they're taking on the chin. I'm waiting for one of them to just roll straight forward; I think that might be the spell's Achilles' Heel. I guess I'll find out when someone successfully counters it. Hasn't happened yet, and I'm up to three "What the hell was that?" messages.

Black Flame is boring as hell. It's Combustion but the flame is black. One Attunement slot, 8 castings. Not sure how exactly it stands up to the rest of the Combustion line of spells, I haven't upgraded my glove at all. Once I wrap up the new content I might try experimenting with the Chaos Pyromancies, Power Within, and any other new stuff I might find.

It becomes a problem when I'm trying to PVP in Dark Forest. I can't invade or summon.

Might just be a problem with the Forest at the moment. There might just be more Forest Hunters than there are people running around in human form. Wouldn't really surprise me; the console versions took a while to settle down and get a sustainable player base spread throughout the game. Most of the late-game areas are still totally dead, for example, I suspect because everybody's making a detour to do all the new stuff before going back for the old end game. I'm sure that will change with time.

Here's a quick-and-dirty guide to stats. A lot of stats start dropping off dramatically in usefulness at higher levels due to diminishing returns. If you stay within these guidelines you're pretty much guaranteed to not screw over your stat allocation:

Thanks so much, that was exactly as much as I wanted to know !!

Restarted a new cleric and alls good, using a logitech controller and the button layout is a bit odd but it still feels better than the mouse/keyboard combo.

the atmosphere is amazing, what a game!

Quick question for those of you with Int builds: is a low vit based int build still viable in dark souls the way it was in demons souls? My friends all played mages in demons souls without upgrading their vit at all. If they got hit they were screwed, but the combination of gear they had plus high int made for some stupidly high damage output.

I'm lvl 27 right now and have yet to put a point in vit.

first time Souls game player checking in.

I've made myself a Cleric, Parsifal by name, and I just beat the tutorial boss.

I am really trying to avoid checking faq's to keep the game experience as fresh as possible, but I also don't want to make poor stat decisions early that force me to re-roll later on. Could a kind soul just ever so slightly hint at what kind of stats I should be choosing to level up early?

1) NEVER EVER EVER TOUCH RESISTANCE!

2) 2handing a wep will 1/2 the str requirement (all Str req take into account 1hand wield)

3) PICK STR or DEX. Dex based weapons are your typical asian/lightweight/speed swords. STR based weapons are the huge axe/claymore/clubs.

4) weapons usuall fall into the STR category or the DEX category and get their atk power from one of those two stats. The letters that are assigned (S, A, B, C, D) determines how much that specific stat affects the weapons attack (a weapon with an A in STR will get a bigger boost than one with a B in it, keep in mind there are mixtures)

5) ELEMENTAL WEAPONS FORGO THE WHOLE STR/DEX REQUIREMENT, BUT AREN'T AS STRONG AS SOMEONE WHO HAS EITHER STR/DEX/INT/FAITH SPECIALTY. BUT THIS IS USUALLY ENDGAME.

6) ELEMENTAL WEAPONS (if they havent nerfed them) are HELLA strong regardless and can be wielded by low level players early due to the str/dex/int/fait checks being removed.

I don't think that dual handing cuts the Str requirement by half. I was under the impression that it gives you 50% more str, so for example, a weapon with 24 Str required would only take 16 Str dual handed.

Oh god. Oh dear.

Two years ago I played Demon's Souls and I was absolutely consumed by that game. I just couldn't put it down, and whenever I did I would have an irresistible urge to pick it right back up, and when I couldn't pick it right back up due to other things (like, you know, college and shit), I would just go over in my mind what shit I needed to do once I got back in, looked up things on the wiki to see what new materials I needed to upgrade weapons, where to get said materials, figuring out some order in which to get the materials, anything I could think of basically that I could plan ahead on before jumping back into the game for 4+ hours.

Got Dark Souls yesterday and HNNNNG I'm back at this shit again. The addicting urge to pick it back up is creeping in again, plus this game gets the added perk of being drop dead gorgeous thanks to Durante's mod work. It only took me like 10 minutes to remember why I fucking loved the original so much, because Dark brings it back in spades with plenty of new stuff on its own.

I'm in for the same wild ride I got with Demon's Souls and I'm loving every minute of it :D

Eyothrie

so.. I keep getting 'summoning failed' over and over.. probably 20 attempts in a row. I've never had a successful summon. Anyone know what could be my problem? I don't have problems playing online in other games.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know of a way to change the game language without having to change my system regional settings? Don't want to play in Spanish, but also don't want my date and time settings to be changed.

Jeramii

Banned
so.. I keep getting 'summoning failed' over and over.. probably 20 attempts in a row. I've never had a successful summon. Anyone know what could be my problem? I don't have problems playing online in other games.

my first summoning was a charm. after that i had countless failed ones. eventually got a person into my game (literally 40 tries later).

fuuuuuck man. that's something that i was really hoping of all things would work better than on console. but it seems to be just as difficult to do.

FtHTiny

Does anyone know of a way to change the game language without having to change my system regional settings? Don't want to play in Spanish, but also don't want my date and time settings to be changed.

From what i read everywhere on the internet there is no other way.

Grief.exe

So how do I get through Blightown? Should I go back to the depths and get the spider shield?

I was just in the first 40 feet and the poisons and toxics are crazy.

Accomplished quite a bit tonight. Defeated the
Bell Gargoyles, helped 8 or 9 people defeat the Gargoyles, the first Titanite Demon, the Moonlight Butterfly, Havel and Capra Demon.

Hellix

Is there any wiki site with how to get to the DLC areas? I just finished beating Ornstein and Smough, and I been looking around different places. I can't find anything different.

Por3F.png

Gotta love Steam store pages.

FtHTiny

Is there any wiki site with how to get to the DLC areas? I just finished beating Ornstein and Smough, and I been looking around different places. I can't find anything different.

You have to place the lordvessel and then
1. Defeat the hydra in darkroot-basin
2. Defeat the golem and free the lady in the cave behind the hydra.
3. Summon the lady and talk to her.
4. Travel to dukes and kill the new golem after the first elevator
5. you get a broken pendant and can now go to the new content in the cave in the hydralake.

Hellix

You have to place the lordvessel and then
1. Defeat the hydra in darkroot-basin
2. Defeat the golem and free the lady in the cave behind the hydra.
3. Summon the lady and talk to her.
4. Travel to dukes and kill the new golem after the first elevator
5. you get a broken pendant and can now go to the new content in the cave in the hydralake.

Cool, thanks. I did half of that already then.

elohel

What about strictly pc gamers? how many first timers are also strictly pc gamers?

what do you think of the game thus far?

Zeal

Banned
Guys, I just needed some clarification with something. If I choose to play this game offline, am I able to even save my game? Currently playing the Steam release but it also has GFWL built in, which is fucking moronic.

Anyway, would I just make an offline GFWL account to play offline?

Sort of ridiculous, really, and I can see why people were so up in arms after experiencing this shit myself.

What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck I DONT UNDERSTAND GFWL

I bought dark souls installed it said I have to sign onto GFWL and so i put in the account and password then it says the profile could not sign into live may be a network problem. But i am right here on the internet so how is it a network problem! I will try making a new account for JUST this game.....

make sure you are signed in to Windows Live. check under services.

Guys, I just needed some clarification with something. If I choose to play this game offline, am I able to even save my game? Currently playing the Steam release but it also has GFWL built in, which is fucking moronic.

Anyway, would I just make an offline GFWL account to play offline?

Sort of ridiculous, really, and I can see why people were so up in arms after experiencing this shit myself.

It's amazing that on a clean install of Windows 8 that's logged into xbla, a fresh install of Dark Souls doesn't even launch.

Grief.exe

What about strictly pc gamers? how many first timers are also strictly pc gamers?

what do you think of the game thus far?

I am a first timer and I am absolutely loving it.

I really like the difficulty and challenge of the game, between that the discovery and the excellent gameplay I am thoroughly hooked.
Luckily my girlfriend is gone for the weekend otherwise I'd be in huge trouble.

The performance is pretty solid too, I've seen very few frame rate drops and only 2 crashes so far. After Durante's fix, the graphics are actually pretty good as well, some of their texture work is flat out amazing.
Some of their texture work isn't so great, and that weird DOF effect that pixelates everything gets annoying.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So... that's it? I just crossed a white fog portal and ended up on a balcony. The dragon I ran from before appeared from nowhere, hit me, broke apart the balcony and I fell down and died. Now I'm beginning to see why everybody says the game is really unforgiving!

NBtoaster

I played Pyromancer on the PS3 version, but playing a sorceror now and it's so much easier. Way more spells, longer range, and easier access to spell merchants.

Krackatoa

Why. Why can't I bring myself to run away from the Asylum Demon.

I broke my broken sword trying to beat him with my Pyromancer. I got him down to 10%...

I can do it. I must do it.

Wow, I just got hit with the low-fps-kick feature. I loaded up the game and it was choppy as hell. That's a first.

EDIT: Tried again. Same thing =/

Damn, my 580m decides to kick the bucket the week this game release. Oh well, this game is a joy to play with even on an Intel HD 3000, rock solid 15fps at 720p.

Antagon

So... that's it? I just crossed a white fog portal and ended up on a balcony. The dragon I ran from before appeared from nowhere, hit me, broke apart the balcony and I fell down and died. Now I'm beginning to see why everybody says the game is really unforgiving!

There's a hint before the portal that tells you what to do.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So after dying 3 times I finally managed to kill the asylum boss. Found a couple of treasure chests, and then got my ass kicked by a skeleton.

So far, looks like a good game, but too much complicated for my taste. Lots of unexplained stuff (what are miracles? Why does the game tell me to backstab a friendly NPC?), but left me wanting more. I'll try and play again tomorrow.

There's a hint before the portal that tells you what to do.
Do you mean
parrying and backstabbing?
I found both pretty difficult to perform.

Antagon

So after dying 3 times I finally managed to kill the asylum boss. Found a couple of treasure chests, and then got my ass kicked by a skeleton.

So far, looks like a good game, but too much complicated for my taste. Lots of unexplained stuff (what are miracles? Why does the game tell me to backstab a friendly NPC?), but left me wanting more. I'll try and play again tomorrow.

Those orange signs can also be left by players. So don't always believe what it says.

Teknoman

Those orange signs can also be left by players. So don't always believe what it says.

Yeah "Beware of Liar". I'm sure you'll run into a few "Jump ahead" signs too. Its up to you whether or not to follow them. Players can either lead you to an awesome item, or embarrassing death. Even seen a bloodstain with an inexplicable death? Yeah.

Also the true Dark Souls starts here:

4142EA64831517D3865B37CA788389C0CE047F6B

Hoo-doo

Banned

Do you mean
parrying and backstabbing?
I found both pretty difficult to perform.

Jump down on his face while attacking. It's very effective.

Wow, I just discovered the
shortcut to the Firelink after making two trips back to the temple, from the bonfire on the right.
This game is great.

fallagin

Yeah "Beware of Liar". I'm sure you'll run into a few "Jump ahead" signs too. Its up to you whether or not to follow them. Players can either lead you to an awesome item, or embarrassing death. Even seen a bloodstain with an inexplicable death? Yeah.

Also the true Dark Souls starts here:

4142EA64831517D3865B37CA788389C0CE047F6B

OH GOD, that thing is terrifying. I need to play this game.

Top Bottom