• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Grief.exe

Quality port! Anyone else had this happen? I am not using any modified files [stock install]
2012_08_25_00001.jpg

Why would you play it on stock? No reason not to install Durante's fix, you are actually hurting your own experience by doing it.

I just realized why you guys were doing spoilers in this game when there's nothing really there to spoil story wise. You're spoiling armaments and ways to beat bosses.

*head sinks into hands, defeated and crying*

You want an uber cheat? Here is the closest thing you'll get. It makes the game way easier:

Go under the bridge and shoot the dragon's tail about 30 times with arrows. He wont' be able to hit you but he will circle around and you'll have to shoot again. After that he'll drop the Drake Sword which is one of the most powerful swords early in the game. It will kill a lot of the early game enemies in one hit.

Foffy

Banned
I just realized why you guys were doing spoilers in this game when there's nothing really there to spoil story wise. You're spoiling armaments and ways to beat bosses.

There are story spoilers in the lore, but most of those spoilers for people like me are not something this new edition offers as new, save for the new area. And for that, I do think there is a big spoiler here:
Is the Lordran in the game the land that Oolacile was many ages ago?

Haunted

Quality port! Anyone else had this happen? I am not using any modified files [stock install]
2012_08_25_00001.jpg
That's just how the game looks without Durante's fix.

edit: I'm kinda impressed that you played through the whole tutorial like that to make that screenshot. :lol

Grief.exe

Working my way through Blightown right now. Making good progress but its tough, those guys that cast the toxic darts are hard to see and easy to get hit with.

Really liking my new Balder Side Sword. Its amazing.

Heavy Attack gives you massive range and does good damage, and you can follow up with a Light Attack really fast for about 150 damage.

The great thing is if I have someone stun locked I can do Heavy, Light, Heavy, Light. Can do almost 400 damage with that combo.

I'm so angry. First the gargoyles killed me while I had 8 humanity, and then on my way to recover them I got invaded by a prick who completely trolled the hell out of me. Finally I was able to reach the gargoyles again, but I just can't seem to kill the fuckers. I farmed for a while and still aren't able to even make a dent, once they start spewing fire, I'm done.

Don't tell me how to beat them. I just wanted to vent.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm so angry. First the gargoyles killed me while I had 8 humanity, and then on my way to recover them I got invaded by a prick who completely trolled the hell out of me. Finally I was able to reach the gargoyles again, but I just can't seem to kill the fuckers. I farmed for a while and still aren't able to even make a dent, once they start spewing fire, I'm done.

Don't tell me how to beat them. I just wanted to vent.

at_comic453.jpg

I just beat the Gargoyles. On 360 that fight took me about 5 or 6 tries. But I summoned a helper here and we thrashed him on my first try. I didn't even have to use but 1 Estus flask. It really felt like cheating.

Taruranto

http://i.imgur.com/pyxV9.jpg

Oh god, not
a sewer level, not a sewer level!!!

Anyway, i have to say, i'm still puzzled by how this game managed to become so popular. It pretty much different to any product of this generation, it doesn't take your hand, it never tells you where to go and it's far from being linear. In a gen where two choices in a rpg are considerate a lot and many AA games are just linear bullshit filled with CS, how did Dark Souls manage?

Make me wish From Software developed a Legend of Zelda game.

IoCaster

dont have a wired 360 controller around?

Actually, I've got all three current gen consoles and lots of controllers. I bought them and after buying and trying dozens of games eventually realized that I don't like console gaming. That's why I never bothered to buy Dark Souls because I knew that I would hate playing it on console with a controller. It doesn't matter though cause I'll tweak the mouse settings and remap the keyboard until I get it perfect. In the end I'll play the game the way I prefer and die in any number of ludicrous ways while having a blast. It's all good.

ACE 1991

What might help you there is a shield with high Stability and/or good Stamina.
Pretty much all of his attacks can be blocked if you just lock on and keep your shield up. I was able to stop basically everything with only 10 Endurance with a fully-upgraded Silver Knight Shield and the Ring of Favor and Protection. All of his attacks are telegraphed, and after a while you should have no trouble predicting what he's winding up for.

And yeah, you need to beat that boss to proceed. I've been helping people with that fight in co-op quite a bit, and it seems to give a lot of people quite a bit of trouble.

A really solid basic build is to pump your Strength to 16 and your Dexterity to 14, and then focus on Vitality and Endurance to get your survivability up. If you want to use spells you have three options: Sorcery, Miracles, and Pyromancy. If you want to use Sorcery you'll also want to pump Intelligence, if you want to use Miracles you'll pump Faith, and Pyromancy is almost totally stat-independent so if you want to use it you don't need to pump anything else.

I think that, in general, the 16/14 Str/Dex split paired with significant Vitality and Endurance investment is the best "I'm not entirely sure what I want to invest in" build because the 16 Strength and 14 Dexterity give you a huge selection of weapons to use with a bare minimum of investment and Vitality and Endurance are useful for absolutely any build, any character. When you hit something like 16/14/30/40 Str/Dex/Vit/End you've got a rock-solid character with a broad selection of available weaponry with plenty of stat points to invest before the level up cost starts getting crazy. It's still entirely possible to that that build all the way to 50 Int or Faith to become a hardcore spellcaster while still being survivable and a dab hand in a fight.

Thanks, this was supremely helpful! So I just hit 16/14, should I not worry too much about items until I get 30 vit and 40 end? Any good starter items that I should grab?

Fuck, I'm so pissed. I lost almost 5K souls--again--because I was trying to travel all the way back to the very first bonfire to see what spells I could buy. The latest bonfire I've reached is the one by the Blacksmith. The part that got me was jumping down where the stupid mutant rats were. They just corner me and I can't get out of the way; attacking is useless because they just interrupt the animation.

I've gotten by with only the Soul Arrow and default armor. Although as I type this I got an idea... maybe I could parry them with the shield to push them back and maybe jump past them? I guess I could give that a shot. But it didn't come to me as I was playing... argh.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well I hit Blighttown and the framerate is a locked 30 there. *So* much better. I stopped at Blighttown on the 360 version as I just couldn't take the 10 fps.

Taruranto

Fuck, I'm so pissed. I lost almost 5K souls--again--because I was trying to travel all the way back to the very first bonfire to see what spells I could buy. The latest bonfire I've reached is the one by the Blacksmith. The part that got me was jumping down where the stupid mutant rats were. They just corner me and I can't get out of the way; attacking is useless because they just interrupt the animation.

I've gotten by with only the Soul Arrow and default armor. Although as I type this I got an idea... maybe I could parry them with the shield to push them back and maybe jump past them? I guess I could give that a shot. But it didn't come to me as I was playing... argh.

You may want to
unlock the shortcut
in the cathedral.

Grief.exe

Well I hit Blighttown and the framerate is a locked 30 there. *So* much better. I stopped at Blighttown on the 360 version as I just couldn't take the 10 fps.

Speaking of I'm going through there right now and its pretty obvious why this place has such bad frame rates on console.

It seems like they are rendering the whole level at once, and look at that draw distance.

From the top looking down:

desktop2012082516432941.png

Another view from the Top looking down:

desktop2012082517012195.png

From the Bottom looking up (look at the top left-hand corner, you can see they are even rendering the Undead Burgh):

desktop2012082517215557.png

Is there a shortcut I can unlock to the bottom btw? I just spent forever getting down there and then fell off that waterwheel with the platforms.

There is a lot of story in this game... it is built into the environment, items, and dialogue. It is very deep and well crafted. Well not really story so much as is the lore of the game.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Don't sweat it man, losing 5K will seem like nothing once you're further in. I've been known to piss away upwards of 80k due to stupid mistakes. Falling down elevators I thought were up, making dumb jumps, continuing farm routines instead of rushing the bloodstain immediately, and just not being interested in getting back a lame 8k souls in ToG in the room with 5-6 Giants...

Is there a shortcut I can unlock to the bottom btw? I just spent forever getting down there and then fell off that waterwheel with the platforms.
Following the water wheel up, if you continue going up the ladders to the top, on the top platform to the right is a chest with a key to the back exit of blighttown through new londo ruins which is on the other side of that top platform.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
The environment, locations, atmosphere and all that are so rich they almost tell their own story. Off the top of my head I can't think of another game I've played that does it this well!

The sense of scale just looking out across those ramparts... sweet sejenus!!!

Don't sweat it man, losing 5K will seem like nothing once you're further in. I've been known to piss away upwards of 80k due to stupid mistakes. Falling down elevators I thought were up, making dumb jumps, continuing farm routines instead of rushing the bloodstain immediately, and just not being interested in getting back a lame 8k souls in ToG in the room with 5-6 Giants...
The main that gets me is that I'm very careful about how I approach things. In truth, it's actually hilarious when you look back on your deaths (for me), but in that moment where you see "YOU DIED," you just want to kill something and maybe cry.

I turned it off right after to cool off, heh.

ArynCrinn

Banned
The main that gets me is that I'm very careful about how I approach things. In truth, it's actually hilarious when you look back on your deaths (for me), but in that moment where you see "YOU DIED," you just want to kill something and maybe cry.

Same situation for me last night. Killed the
Hydra
on my first try, could have went and leveled or whatever, instead I decide to get
Havel
out of the way...and I died by getting greedy...twice! 9K souls, most looted from a mini-boss, gone due to being stupid.

So don't sweat it, it happens. And I'm pretty much a vet now.

I had 12 humanity and reverse hollow human form and died. I then went to back to pick it up and stupidly messed up a riposte and got down to about 25 health.

I almost shit my pants

Gregorn

I started replaying this today on the PS3 due to all the PC hype and it's crazy how much easy everything seems once you know how to play the game. I got through to Blightown in a couple of hours without dying.

That's a sign of difficulty done right.

Visceir

Following the water wheel up, if you continue going up the ladders to the top, on the top platform to the right is a chest with a key to the back exit of blighttown through new londo ruins which is on the other side of that top platform.

This will be useful.

I made it all the way to the bottom bonfire of blighttown, but broke my drake sword on the way there, so I have no real way of defeating the boss down there and have to travel all the way back to the blacksmith to fix my gear and then return again...sigh

I got the Iaito sword and have 20 dex but Drake sword still seems to do more damage. Do I have to enchant the Iaito sword to make it better than the drake sword?

Grief.exe

I started replaying this today on the PS3 due to all the PC hype and it's crazy how much easy everything seems once you know how to play the game. I got through to Blightown in a couple of hours without dying.

That's a sign of difficulty done right.

I can't believe you guys can play this on console anymore after seeing how smooth the game runs and the high fidelity of the pc version.

I can't believe you guys can play this on console anymore after seeing how smooth the game runs and the high fidelity of the pc version.
Maybe they don't own PCs. I took it to mean he's replaying it simply because a host of new people are and generating said hype for him.

Ceebs

Up to the swamp area of Blighttown and still rocking the +5 Claymore. I kinda want to swap it out for something soon. Anything I can go pickup from where I am?

Currently 30 VIT, 16 Str, 16 Dex, 22, End

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You want an uber cheat? Here is the closest thing you'll get. It makes the game way easier:

Go under the bridge and shoot the dragon's tail about 30 times with arrows. He wont' be able to hit you but he will circle around and you'll have to shoot again. After that he'll drop the Drake Sword which is one of the most powerful swords early in the game. It will kill a lot of the early game enemies in one hit.

And then he'll be like me and pissed because that doesn't work at Anor Londo
or hell Sen's Fortress

Really, he should just get a weapon, grind the souls and upgrade it at the Giant Blacksmith if he can get that far... which he should be able to do if he can dodge the rats, dodge the boar, and get over there.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Up to the swamp area of Blighttown and still rocking the +5 Claymore. I kinda want to swap it out for something soon. Anything I can go pickup from where I am?

Currently 30 VIT, 16 Str, 16 Dex, 22, End
I would say keep it up with the claymore, it's a pretty good long term weapon if you get it to +15 now that stat scaling is fixed

Holy shit. I just beat the Capra Demon on my first try with no problems at all. Did they nerf this fight some how. Once you know what to do it was incredibly easy. Ran up the ramp, took out the dogs then took my time dodging around him and hitting.

I died against that fucker at least a dozen times on 360.

And then he'll be like me and pissed because that doesn't work at Anor Londo
or hell Sen's Fortress

Really, he should just get a weapon, grind the souls and upgrade it at the Giant Blacksmith if he can get that far... which he should be able to do if he can dodge the rats, dodge the boar, and get over there.

Well nobody forces you to use the Drake Sword for that long. At the very least the Draksword will be useful for getting TO the Blacksmith.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well nobody forces you to use the Drake Sword for that long. At the very least the Draksword will be useful for getting TO the Blacksmith.

True enough, but it's useful for a pretty good time after that until you hit a wall and FACEROLL. Then it's like "WTF, this sword was good before. WTF."

And then you attempt to upgrade it thinking it's an upgrade problem. NOPE.avi

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

The higher resolution and stable framerate is grand, but I'm almost certainly going to buy the PS3 DLC when it comes out because the entire Japanese playerbase is on the PS3. I've had some great PvP action with Japanese players.

It'd be swell if that whole chunk of players made the transition, but that ain't happening, so if the party ain't coming to me I'm just going to have to go to it, even if it means everything goes all blurry and slow again.

Top Bottom