• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

This will be useful.

I made it all the way to the bottom bonfire of blighttown, but broke my drake sword on the way there, so I have no real way of defeating the boss down there and have to travel all the way back to the blacksmith to fix my gear and then return again...sigh

I got the Iaito sword and have 20 dex but Drake sword still seems to do more damage. Do I have to enchant the Iaito sword to make it better than the drake sword?
You don't need to go to a blacksmith to repair weapons / Armor or to do basic upgrades on them. You just need to buy the tool boxes from a merchant and you can do it yourself at a bonfire.

As for dex weapons, when you upgrade them at a bonfire or blacksmith they'll scale better with your dex stat.

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/repairbox
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/weapon-smithbox
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/armor-smithbox

http://i.imgur.com/pyxV9.jpg

Oh god, not
a sewer level, not a sewer level!!!

Anyway, i have to say, i'm still puzzled by how this game managed to become so popular. It pretty much different to any product of this generation, it doesn't take your hand, it never tells you where to go and it's far from being linear. In a gen where two choices in a rpg are considerate a lot and many AA games are just linear bullshit filled with CS, how did Dark Souls manage?

Make me wish From Software developed a Legend of Zelda game.

That's exactly WHY it became popular; it's counter programming against the big dumb blockbusters. Of course it will never do the kinds of figures of a Skyrim or Halo or CoD or any other game that is far less demanding. But there is a big enough gaming audience that it can be a successful franchise, which makes me happy. I was a fan of From's games ever since Kings Field 2 on the Playstation 1. I loved that game. Though it also was extremely hard and I played it probably 40 or 50 hours and never beat it.

Lombax

Banned
I totally forgot how much i LOVE this game. Anyone remember what stat you increase to allow you to roll with heavy armor?
2012_08_25_00004.jpg

joe2187

Banned
I totally forgot how much i LOVE this game. Anyone remember what stat you increase to allow you to roll with heavy armor? ]

Endurance increases your equip load, or you can cheat and use havels ring and the flip ring and dance around like a fool in the heaviest of armors

Where are you in blighttown? If it's near the bottom bonfire I can be there in like a minute.

I'm actually above it near the front entrance, I'm going to go through the back entrance from the valley of the drakes in a bit

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Endurance increases your equip load, or you can cheat and use havels ring and the flip ring and dance around like a fool in the heaviest of armors

Only at 25% weight though. Wasn't the ring nerfed because it was all anyone used to flip around like a ninja even at 50%?

True enough, but it's useful for a pretty good time after that until you hit a wall and FACEROLL. Then it's like "WTF, this sword was good before. WTF."

And then you attempt to upgrade it thinking it's an upgrade problem. NOPE.avi

I don't know about that. You CAN certainly keep up grading it's just a big harder to find what you need. It becomes a useful weapon again later on. I'm avoiding it altogether this play through, though, because I want to play around with other things.

I still haven't decided what my build is and I've already killed the Capra Demon. I am mainly putting points into VIT and END. I did a STR + END build on 360 and I was a fucking walking tank that got up in everything's face and danced and I loved playing that way.

Part of me is tempted to try to go magic this time (I started as a Wanderer as always), but I kind of feel like the melee combat is where the game shines and I dont' want to sacrifice that....

I can't believe you guys can play this on console anymore after seeing how smooth the game runs and the high fidelity of the pc version.

Well they probably don't have a PC that can run it.

That said, I sure as hell could never go back and I put 70 hours in the 360 version.

I had a moment of realization in the lower part of blight town where the dogs actually looked like dogs. Before they just looked like blurry purple things. I always thought they were aggressive rats until I read otherwise on message board forms. But now with the higher res textures they actually LOOK like dogs.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

I'm actually above it near the front entrance, I'm going to go through the back entrance from the valley of the drakes in a bit
Ok, I'll place my sign down in that pit behind the bonfire, gimme a minute to get down there

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I want to play this with my Dualshock, since the mouse controls seem to be ass. Is this possible?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Alright it's placed in the middle of the pit behind the lower blighttown bonfire. GT is gnadenstoss

If you can't see it after like a minute we're probably on different servers :(

How bad is the port?

I tried to play it for 1 hour, but seriously...
It does not run smooth at all and I dont have a budget-PC or something like that.
Are there any fixes for that?

ArynCrinn

Banned
To any new players. Abandon the Drake Sword as soon as you hit the forest, it's usefulness stops at the boss. Good early weapons to upgrade to +5 or further would be:

-Claymore
-Halberd
-Balder Side Sword (if you can get the drop)
-Gargoyle Halberd (if you can get the drop)
-Hand Axe (as secondary)
-Estoc
-Long Sword
-Great Axe
-Falchion
-Scimitar +10 (use for creating a epic weapon later, take my word for it)
-Zweihander

All of these rival the Drake Sword at +5-+8, can be buffed and are great to turn into elementals later. Also be sure to upgrade at least one weapon to Divine, if you tackle the Catacombs early.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any custom desktop icons floating around? I don't like the plain white icon from Steam
Oh you have that problem too? I thought something was wrong with my game. I solved it by changing the shortcut icon, selecting the one from the game's executable.

ArynCrinn

Banned
actually you can finish the game with that sword. but yeah, of course there are better ones.

No doubt, you can finish the game with a regular club, but for new players it's a smart idea to know which weapons to invest in early. Instead of relying on the Drake, plus the Drake Sword gets old after a while...

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, the order I go is:

Parish - drake sword
Blighttown shortcut - drake sword
Sens - lightning spear
Anor Londo - upgrade weapon of choice to elemental or higher at giant blacksmith

The drake sword can easily get you halfway through Sens, and at that point the lightning spear is the better than anything else you can make before you get to the Anor blacksmith.

I leave the forest and other stuff for later

mash440

Neo Member

Parish - drake sword
Sens - lightning spear
Anor Londo - upgrade weapon of choice to elemental or higher at giant blacksmith

The drake sword can easily get you halfway through Sens, and at that point the lightning spear is the better than anything else you can make before you get to the Anor blacksmith.

Part of the fun of the game is trying all the different weapons and move-sets.

So far I've gone handaxe > mace > longsword > baldur side sword.

ArynCrinn

Banned

Parish - drake sword
Sens - lightning spear

I don't know, for some reason I've always hated the Lightning Spear. I mean it's a decent weapon it's useful, but I've found far more utility in using a +7 Claymore with a +5 Halberd for clearing out Sen's pure melee. But I also have this OCD trait where I have to loot the entire dungeon and kill the important enemies (Titanite Demons o_O) before I go for the boss. And the Lightning Spear just always seemed to take longer than I wanted to kill enemies.

Also had my "Amazing chest ahead" leading to a drop into Sen's basement up-rated, apparently some people got the joke.

Clevinger

Holy shit. I just beat the Capra Demon on my first try with no problems at all.
Did they nerf this fight some how. Once you know what to do it was incredibly easy. Ran up the ramp, took out the dogs then took my time dodging around him and hitting.

I died against that fucker at least a dozen times on 360.

Most of the difficulty of the boss
lies in if you can get past the dogs at the beginning (which has a lot to do with luck, I think). Once you deal with the dogs without Capra slamming the shit out of you, it's a cakewalk IMO.

I am amazed at how many seemingly high res textures Dark Souls had hiding behind that 1024x720 blurry pixel mess.

I won't be getting the game until I can find a controller (M and K/B arn't recommended for this game from what I read) and AMD drivers hopefully improve.

ezekial45

Banned

Parish - drake sword
Sens - lightning spear

I actually ended up using the Black Knight Sword for much of the game past the forest. Though I'm starting to get tired of it. I even got the Quellag's Furysword as a replacement, though I haven't used it yet.

Holy shit. I just beat the Capra Demon on my first try with no problems at all.
Did they nerf this fight some how. Once you know what to do it was incredibly easy. Ran up the ramp, took out the dogs then took my time dodging around him and hitting.

I died against that fucker at least a dozen times on 360.
I died the couple of times I went in there. I'm a spellcaster; I do a lot of damage with my soul arrows but a light breeze can kill me. So being trapped in that tiny room isn't good! I'm just going to work on other locations then come back to it, hopefully there will be summon signs when I get to it, as I don't like my chances of doing it alone.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
ixix how's the
tail-cutting on new bossman
going?

Poorly. I've tried a few different methods, I took a break and did some co-op and weapon upgrading and now I'm ready to give it another shot with yet another change in approach. I'm going to try
basically going PvP glass cannon on the tail. Crystal Magic Weapon on a Claymore, Lingering Dragoncrest Ring to sustain the buff as long as possible.

I've actually reduced him to nearly no HP twice trying to take it off, but quit both times rather than kill him without removing it. I've fought him probably around 50 times now, though in fairness the number is inflated quite a bit by people who basically walk through the fog and die in five seconds. None of the people I've co-oped with have ever seen it come off either.

On the upside I have completely mastered fighting him now. I am absolutely sure I could solo him without getting hit if I so desired at this point. Unfortunately, I do not desire that.

I desire his tail.

Razek

Banned
Well, I hit my first wall. I can't get past a certain boss in the undead parish. The
gargoyle things
are just way too hard for me. It's disappointing because I spent a good 3 hours today just grinding up souls to upgrade my weapons and armor, and I was feeling pretty stacked. I just can't do it though. The moment
two of them show up just like in demon souls
I get overwhelmed without ever a window to attack. The moment I try something I get stuck in a loop of knock down->get up->knock down ect.

Zeliard

Poorly. I've tried a few different methods, I took a break and did some co-op and weapon upgrading and now I'm ready to give it another shot with yet another change in approach. I'm going to try
basically going PvP glass cannon on the tail. Crystal Magic Weapon on a Claymore, Lingering Dragoncrest Ring to sustain the buff as long as possible.

I've actually reduced him to nearly no HP twice trying to take it off, but quit both times rather than kill him without removing it. I've fought him probably around 50 times now, though in fairness the number is inflated quite a bit by people who basically walk through the fog and die in five seconds. None of the people I've co-oped with have ever seen it come off either.

On the upside I have completely mastered fighting him now. I am absolutely sure I could solo him without getting hit if I so desired at this point. Unfortunately, I do not desire that.

I desire his tail.

Hahaha

What actually is it that
is making it so difficult? Keeping the tail targeted, nasty counterattacks, AOE, etc?

Downloaded it this evening, after Amazon.co.uk had a delayed shipment.

Loving it so far. Playing as a Pyromancer.

Undead Burg Spoilers:
Actually missed the axe my first time to the opening boss. Was thinking - "Am I really supposed to do this, doing like 6 damage at a time?" before backtracking a little bit and going "OH, right. Now this makes sense".

Died after I fought the ...2nd(?) boss on a Castle wall. Had gotten him down to one more hit of health, when he trapped me and I kind of panicked. 2000 souls lying there, I had to get to them.... so I respawned and immediately rolled off a ledge.

So much for those souls. Bawls.

Zeliard

Part of the fun of the game is trying all the different weapons and move-sets.

So far I've gone handaxe > mace > longsword > baldur side sword.

I used the Iaito for almost the entire game on PS3, and as much as I'd like to try something different this time around, I hear it beckoning...

Well, I hit my first wall. I can't get past a certain boss in the undead parish. The
gargoyle things
are just way too hard for me. It's disappointing because I spent a good 3 hours today just grinding up souls to upgrade my weapons and armor, and I was feeling pretty stacked. I just can't do it though. The moment
two of them show up just like in demon souls
I get overwhelmed without ever a window to attack. The moment I try something I get stuck in a loop of knock down->get up->knock down ect.

Try cutting the first gargoyle tail before the second gargoyle shows up. When you cut it the gargoyle does nothing allowing you to dish lots of damage. Thats how I got past them.

Ridley327

Try cutting the first gargoyle tail before the second gargoyle shows up. When you cut it the gargoyle does nothing allowing you to dish lots of damage. Thats how I got past them.

Also helpful:
they are incredibly weak against lightning, to the point where you can easily kill the first gargoyle even before the second one lands on the roof. I can't remember where exactly, but one of the corpses you come across in the Undead Burg has 3 things of Yellow Pine Resin that can temporarily give your weapon lightning properties. One application should last you the length of the fight easily.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Hahaha

What actually is it that
is making it so difficult? Keeping the tail targeted, nasty counterattacks, AOE, etc?

It sounds kind of stupid, but
my biggest problem is that the damn thing just won't come off. I hit it, it plays the critical hit sound and spark, I repeat that process like two dozen times, but it is still firmly connected to his rump. It's gotta have some weird sweet spot you need to hit or something like Seath's.

It's not easy to hit without a second person in the fight, either. He's ridiculously aggressive and basically never stops moving. Usually right at you, with the entirety of his mass situated firmly between you and his tail. There are about two attacks he does that cause him to stand still long enough for you to get some licks in on the tail if you're solo, and one of them is strictly long-ranged, which is a problem.

You can actually summon the most awesome AI phantom ever for that fight, though, so even if you're offline you can have a distraction. Assuming you can summon it, that is. I've seen two other people do it but it doesn't show up in my game, which is vexing. I'm going to see if there's an event or something elsewhere in the new stuff to unlock it.

It's actually not THAT bad, but the more I see people encouraging others to get this "awesome" sword, the more I hate the damn thing.

When you're in Blighttown, you will normally have passed Depths, which means you have the Large Ember. Give this to André. Then spend some time farming Large Titanite shards, off the slimes in Depths or from the slugs at the far side of Blighttown. 9 of them is enough. If you haven't made 10 Titanite Shards by then, you can buy them for 8000 souls from André and prepare the weapon to +5 first.

This will upgrade your weapon to +10, which is a good weapon that will last you through most of Anor Londo and KILL everything up until then. Then you can either change it into elemental if you want to save your stats for magic, get it to +15 later if you're using one of the main stats already, or turn it into a boss weapon if you find anything nicer later.

Before Anor Londo, you'll be hard pressed to find more than 1 or 2 Dragon Scales. In fact you pretty much need to know how to sequence break a bit to find even one. That means that you can get Drake Sword to +1 or +2, which means 220 or 240 damage flat. Impressive compared to the plain 80 or so you might get from your starter weapon, but listen up.

Pretty much any weapon does lots of raw damage at +10. Uchigatana does 180 (plus bleed critical damage if you hit three times), Claymore does 206, Balder Side Sword does 160. Even the basic Longsword you can start with or buy for 1000 gold does 160 damage. Then add on top of a decent amount of damage from STR or DEX, or elemental damage.

I don't feel like looking up every combination of stats and +10 weapons on my PS3 characters, but on my PC character I have a +10 Claymore with a total of 331 base damage. That's with rather high stats but on the other hand it only scales moderately well (C rating). That's much better than the Drake Sword can ever be, even if you scour the entire game for Dragon Scales and spend 50000 souls upgrading it. And I can have that weapon in Blighttown.

Will it take graphs or a Youtube video? Maybe a site called drakeswordsucks.com to explain it? I don't know, I might have to make one eventually.

Basically. From the moment you can lay your hands on Drake Sword, it can take you less time to run past everything and get to André and proper upgrading, than it will take you to shoot the tail enough times. And that's about how far it would last you anyway.

ixix: To get that summoned helper, you must
look around for a ledge that breaks away, to the left of the path that brings you to the ledge PACKED with ghosts, taking you to a passage where Alvina leads you to a wall. Strike that wall and kill the ghosts inside to rescue Sif. Then you can summon him.

Zeliard

It sounds kind of stupid, but
my biggest problem is that the damn thing just won't come off. I hit it, it plays the critical hit sound and spark, I repeat that process like two dozen times, but it is still firmly connected to his rump. It's gotta have some weird sweet spot you need to hit or something like Seath's.

It's not easy to hit without a second person in the fight, either. He's ridiculously aggressive and basically never stops moving. Usually right at you, with the entirety of his mass situated firmly between you and his tail. There are about two attacks he does that cause him to stand still long enough for you to get some licks in on the tail if you're solo, and one of them is strictly long-ranged, which is a problem.

You can actually summon the most awesome AI phantom ever for that fight, though, so even if you're offline you can have a distraction. Assuming you can summon it, that is. I've seen two other people do it but it doesn't show up in my game, which is vexing. I'm going to see if there's an event or something elsewhere in the new stuff to unlock it.

Hmm... if you are
hitting the tail that many times and to the extent that you do enough overall damage to nearly kill him outright, maybe it in fact can't come off.

But yeah, maybe you just have to hit it in a certain spot, which is probably going to be rough to do. This guy sounds pretty nasty; Seath was fairly slow-moving.
It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it, if anything. :p

Either way, it's fun to challenge yourself with off-kilter things in a game like this. I'm personally trying to basically go through the game backwards this time around, tackling the higher-level bosses and areas early.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm... if you are
hitting the tail that many times and to the extent that you do enough overall damage to nearly kill him outright, maybe it in fact can't come off.

But yeah, maybe you just have to hit it in a certain spot, which is probably going to be rough to do. This guy sounds pretty nasty; Seath was fairly slow-moving.
It'll be interesting to see what comes out of it, if anything. :p

Either way, it's fun to challenge yourself with off-kilter things in a game like this. I'm personally trying to basically go through the game backwards this time around, tackling the higher-level bosses and areas early.
Which boss are you talking about?

Grief.exe

Ok guys just finished Blighttown.

Where to next? Do I go to Demon Ruins, Andor Lando, or back to the Undead Parish for the fortress that just opened up (assuming its Sen's Fortress since I've heard people talk about it).

Top Bottom