• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Razek

Banned
Gotta ring both bells first. To take weapons from +5 -> +10 you need the large ember,
located in the depths
, and Andre (parish blacksmith)

Thanks! Oh, wow. So I have a ways then before my weapon becomes any good. This is going to be quite some fun.

Sullichin

I just beat him at SL37 -- fairly easy once you get his attacks down (like all the others). I enjoyed that battle.

These new fucking giants in the Royal Woods don't fuck around.. God damn.

Yup, beat him on my 5th try after learning his attacks. Just like the rest of the game, you can't get greedy with attacks.
I got the tail weapon drop too. My light armor/13VIT setup couldn't really handle getting hit by any of those crazy lightning attacks.
That was an awesome fight.

And you are right about those giants. God damn.

Some douchelord yesterday used his summon sign to confirm that I was human, and then suicided and invaded me afterwards. I made sure to smash him back into his game though.

wow, $32 (GMG) seems a steal for this game. I guess they priced this at $40 expecting a backlash from the low res.

durante saved gamers $10 per copy?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i think the reason why summons arent working is because we are all in mini zones as such. i was testing this with my brother earlier and we was both in same spot yet we both had different blood stains different signs on the floor in our area. and funny enough we couldnt see each others summons.

legacyzero

Banned
It remains one of the most intense areas in the game to play even after playing trough it multiple times. Positioning yourself during fights is more important on the platforms of Blighttown than it is in almost every area in the game.

One tip,
I take out the dart shooters with a bow, but I accept the fact that they will infect me with Toxic while I'm doing it. The trick is to not panic, continue shooting arrows if you're hitting one and just keep an eye on your health. If it gets low drink an Estas flask and continue shooting until he is dead and then use an item to cure Toxic. Don't try an cure yourself in the middle of the fight because he'll probably just infect you again. It's all easier said than done if you don't know where the darts are coming from, though. Once you've killed one, they are gone for good, so killing them should be a priority.
I cant find a bow :(

I have a crossbow, though. Is there a manual aim for it? Or do you have to lock on to use it?

Durante

Finally got summoning to work. That was awesome.

Making those guys see what it's like when there are more of you than them:
data-2012-08-26-17-43vep9l.jpg

Co-op healing:
data-2012-08-26-17-53lxo0x.jpg

Then we were invaded and killed. But we almost got the invader!

I doubt it. More like the game has already been out for ages so going for full price would kill sales from double-dippers.

Plus the game was going for that before release on GMG. But mainly there is no way they would have released it at full price. That would have been a big mistake.

Mendrox

wow, $32 (GMG) seems a steal for this game. I guess they priced this at $40 expecting a backlash from the low res.

durante saved gamers $10 per copy?

Direct2Play has it for only 21$ !

Just played it myself for the last 30 minutes. Already killed the Tauros and got the Drake Sword for some awesome killings.
Didn't die at all, I guess this is a game which you learn and just have it in your blood by then lol

Sullichin

Early new content spoilers -
I got excited that Elizabeth (is that her name?) sells gold pine resin, but she only sells 5 of them.

Anyone else getting sound cutting out on one channel randomly? it could just be the old shitty speaker system I'm playing on.

Also, anyone else think that you heal less % of a phantoms HP with estus now? I played a couple of bosses with phantoms now and I don't seem to restore much of their health with flasks. Could be wrong though.

Lyon

Is it even possible to play this game with keyboard + mouse? I'm about 10 minutes in and I want to give up.

It's impossible to tell what key does what and the mouse sensitivity is mental.

Vaporak

So can anyone tell me how invading works? I've seen both invaders getting announced and then also some where they just suddenly are there with no warning.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Saw this game for $9.99 on Amazon last night so I had to order it. Can't wait to get my ass kicked!

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Is it even possible to play this game with keyboard + mouse? I'm about 10 minutes in and I want to give up.

It's impossible to tell what key does what and the mouse sensitivity is mental.

pretty much no, but you should be able to see what controls do what in the options menu

derwalde

balder shield vs black knight shield, which to upgrade? i tend to balder shield because i dont need to waste twinkling on it for upgrading. main weapon is onehanded claymore btw.

Quikies83

About bonfires.. In the new content, has anyone found another bonfire besides the central sanctuary area? I've finally made my way through the woods and am now standing before fog (boss fog?) and
there is a bridge with a cool looking NPC with a tophat

Sullichin

balder shield vs black knight shield, which to upgrade? i tend to balder shield because i dont need to waste twinkling on it for upgrading. main weapon is onehanded claymore btw.

It's easier to fully upgrade something that needs twinkling titanite cause you can buy it. You can't buy chunks or slabs. Still between the two I think the Balder shield looks cooler. has lower requirements as well. Black knight shield is really useful in some situations because of its fire def stat.

So I went through the door. A guy with a big club and hammer appeared. I hit him and ran. He pursued me for the entire tower and killed me. Dark Souls is awesome

Soulhouf

It's easier to fully upgrade something that needs twinkling titanite cause you can buy it. You can't buy chunks or slabs. Still between the two I think the Balder shield looks cooler. has lower requirements as well. Black knight shield is really useful in some situations because of its fire def stat.

I'm disappointed to hear that you still can buy twinkling titanite. That's so wrong :/

web01

I'm disappointed to hear that you still can buy twinkling titanite. That's so wrong :/

Its a good thing considering the very limited number of crystal lizards in the game.
They should have 4 times the number.

Plus it was originally added to the console versions at the time of the dragon head Duping glitch which helped non cheating players get on even grounds because cheaters kept their glitched inventory items.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
im in the sanctuary area and hope someone knows the answer to this
the lady is asking me to give her artorias soul is there a benefit to this? if not i think i should hold onto it and turn it into a weapon or something

Sullichin

I agree. The changes they did make are awesome though.. nerfed dwgr, new warpable bonfires, etc.
ups.., well thank you :). so black knight shield is a good medium shield to go (i need dat parry)?

Yeah, it's a great shield.

Question: If I kill one of the talking NPC characters like the praise the sun guy, do I get his armor?

In his case,
--- yes. -

Razek

Banned
Another Question on NPC killing: In the Undead Parish, if I kill
The guy locked in the hidden room in the bell tower thing
do I get his armor too?

Sullichin

Sweet, gonna go get me a new set of armor!

Might not wanna do that, he can help you with later bosses if you keep him alive.

do I get his armor too?
Nope, there's more complex conditions for getting his.
you have to let him kill the firekeeper at firelink shrine, and invade and kill him in anor londo later.

Zzoram

do I get his armor too?

Don't kill him. There is a quest line you can let play out if you let him live.

Top Bottom