• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Razek

Banned
Hmmm, Sorry for a million questions, one more before I decide then:

If I kill sun man, is his armor heavy with lots of defense, kind of like the Baldur armor?

but where? I've been there a few times, and havn't seen him =/

I've killed almost all NPC's that I've come across. I did feel remorse about it. I just wanted to see if I could lol

Lesson learned: Dont kill NPC's

legacyzero
(Today, 12:27 PM)

Avatar is pretty fitting too. lol

krishian

im in the sanctuary area and hope someone knows the answer to this
the lady is asking me to give her artorias soul is there a benefit to this? if not i think i should hold onto it and turn it into a weapon or something
You get two daggers for giving her the soul or you turn it into a sword at a blacksmith.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I've killed almost all NPC's that I've come across. I did feel remorse about it. I just wanted to see if I could lol

When you pass the gate where the big steel boar was, coming from the bridge with the dragon, hug the right.
Right from the cathedral is a path that takes you to the Blacksmith.

Razek

Banned

Go to the main church thing, instead of taking a left at the alter to the stairs up, you can go to the right out to another small courtyard with 3 guys. Follow the long downstairs bridge, you can't miss him!

Soulhouf

Its a good thing considering the very limited number of crystal lizards in the game.
They should have 4 times the number.

Plus it was originally added to the console versions at the time of the dragon head Duping glitch which helped non cheating players get on even grounds because cheaters kept their glitched inventory items.

But twinkling titanite is supposed to have more value. By making them available to purchase you destroy their value. Besides you can obtain them from the man-eater shells, the drop rate is not that low.

legacyzero

Banned
legacyzero
(Today, 12:27 PM)

Avatar is pretty fitting too. lol
iSUx8j22zJeB.gif

Quikies83

Holy fucking shit... Knight Astorias is one tough mother fucker.. I wish there was a bonfire in between the royal woods and this battle.. makes getting to this bastard quite the challenge.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins

I like your style. I love when people play Souls games however they choose. If you enjoyed running around in armor of the sunbro you viciously murdered, wasn't it worth it regardless of what the quest was? I always view it as an alternate ending to any quests, haha.
But twinkling titanite is supposed to have more value. By making them available to purchase you destroy their value. Besides you can obtain them from the man-eater shells, the drop rate is not that low.
The only potential value twinkling could have had is if it was not farmable. Since it is, From just made the process faster, which I approve of since so many items require twinkling. It's one thing to restrict slabs to super rare drop rates, since you get like 20 damage improvement with them, but you needed twinkling if you wanted to even try out some of the weapons and builds.

Kill
Ciaran
rather than giving her the soul. Then you get her weapons, armor AND get to keep the soul.

Do not kill any blacksmiths (obviously), the vendor in the aqueduct or anyone who sells spells, at least until you've cleaned them out. And even then you should leave some (
Big Hat Logan
) until you've seen his entire storyline and he goes hollow, if you intend to get all Sorcery spells.

I generally don't kill NPC:s. Despite the bleakness of the game, there are quite a few friendly faces.

Holy fucking shit... Knight Astorias is one tough mother fucker.. I wish there was a bonfire in between the royal woods and this battle.. makes getting to this bastard quite the challenge.

You can run pretty quickly back to him if you've activated the elevator in the tower (the one next to
Marvellous Chester
. Then you just need to get past two of the tree guys and stay to the right.

legacyzero

Banned
Seriously. He's like a single optimistic sparkle of light in the dark, depressing world of Lordran.

What has he ever done to deserve this.

Wrong place, wrong time.

He can be an NPC in another game if he just wants to gaze at the sun LOL

I like your style. I love when people play Souls games however they choose. If you enjoyed running around in armor of the sunbro you viciously murdered, wasn't it worth it regardless of what the quest was? I always view it as an alternate ending to any quests, haha.
ibttDz2oxSDaYU.gif

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

you didnt unlock the elevator short cut? also magic fucks his day up

Hit suspicious walls guys. There are a few hidden rooms in the main game. Not sure about the DLC.

theres atleast 1 that you have to use a light spell on to open it in the dlc

Taruranto

I would murder any NPC in the blink of an eye, if he dropped a cool looking mage armor. I'm so tired of looking like a warrior. :(

Anyway, done some exploring, opened some passages in the
forest level
and gave some items to the blacksmith when he asked me. I tried the
new demon in the tutorial area and the hydra
but they both owned me brutally. I managed to kill the
butterfly
just fine, though.

Now, time to head toward the infamous
Blight Town.

How are you guys progressing through the game so fast? I've played for about 11 hours, and I still haven't killed the Capra Demon. There are only two possible explanations for this: I suck or I suck.

Zzoram

How are you guys progressing through the game so fast? I've played for about 11 hours, and I still haven't killed the Capra Demon. There are only two possible explanations for this: I suck or I suck.

A lot of double dippers who already know all the areas and boss patterns. Capra is usually the first brick wall new players hit.

About the 10th time I run through the old content. There's pretty much no way you can finish it this quickly from scratch.

With only the final boss left to do on this playthough, I have 22 hours played by the way. About half of which was spent on the new areas.

Quikies83

Kill
Ciaran
rather than giving her the soul. Then you get her weapons, armor AND get to keep the soul.

Do not kill any blacksmiths (obviously), the vendor in the aqueduct or anyone who sells spells, at least until you've cleaned them out. And even then you should leave some (
Big Hat Logan
) until you've seen his entire storyline and he goes hollow, if you intend to get all Sorcery spells.

I generally don't kill NPC:s. Despite the bleakness of the game, there are quite a few friendly faces.

You can run pretty quickly back to him if you've activated the elevator in the tower (the one next to
Marvellous Chester
. Then you just need to get past two of the tree guys and stay to the right.

Thanks a lot.

Hoo-doo

Banned

A lot of people have played it before, with every enemy placement and boss encounter seared into their minds. First playthroughs will usually take a long time.

My first playthrough on PS3 I probably hit the 30 hour mark before even ringing the second bell.

Ridley327

Don't worry, I'm in the same boat. I know what to do, but I can never actually do it.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

made a sorcerer so i roll through the game

edit: did you get the drake sword? that would help you greatly in that part of the game

Killing all the NPCs on your first playthrough seems like a really really bad idea.

Tell me about it. Somebody might want to tell this fellow(I guess I will) that these NPCs are who you get your spells and pyromancy from. Without them...well....you're at a serious disadvantage.

There's some that aren't important, but how would you know?

slimer5

Neo Member
quick question about upgrading weapons/armor:

I'm playing through the game relatively blind and I just reached the first blacksmith (I'm assuming there are multiple based on what I have read). I still have all of my starting gear (playing as a bandit, so battle axe and spider shield as well as the armor set), so I'm questioning whether it's worth it to spend my 1 titanite shard on my battle axe or hold off until i find a better weapon? I technically do have a weapon with higher damage in my inventory (halberd), but my character cant really swing it very well for a reason that is beyond my knowledge (he stumbles at the end of the Rb swing).

what do you guys suggest?

Razek

Banned
So I decided to not kill sun man. Instead, I checked out the lower town a bit more and found a door I never entered. A large spiral staircase lay before me with numerous "dangerous enemy" messages. I thought "Meh, I'll just burn this fool." Little did I know it was the most defense tank I was about to face. Luckily he was slow. Took me about 20 minutes of slowly poking him with my spear after running out of flames but I beat him. I was hoping for his cool shield or even *gasp* some new armor, but all I got was the lame Hovels ring.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I'm playing through the game relatively blind and I just reached the first blacksmith (I'm assuming there are multiple based on what I have read). I still have all of my starting gear (playing as a bandit, so battle axe and spider shield as well as the armor set), so I'm questioning whether it's worth it to spend my 1 titanite shard on my battle axe or hold off until i find a better weapon? I technically do have a weapon with higher damage in my inventory (halberd), but my character cant really swing it very well for a reason that is beyond my knowledge (he stumbles at the end of the Rb swing).

Go and check out the stats of the halberd. Highlight it in the inventory and press X I believe, it shows the stat requirements for proper use. It'll either be dependent on your Strength or your Dexterity skill.

So I decided to not kill sun man. Instead, I checked out the lower town a bit more and found a door I never entered. A large spiral staircase lay before me with numerous "dangerous enemy" messages. I thought "Meh, I'll just burn this fool." Little did I know it was the most defense tank I was about to face. Luckily he was slow. Took me about 20 minutes of slowly poking him with my spear after running out of flames but I beat him. I was hoping for his cool shield or even *gasp* some new armor, but all I got was the lame Hovels ring.

Havel's ring is one of the best rings in the game, yo.

Zzoram

There is a way to get his gear later in the game. IIRC it's in a secret room hidden behind an illusory wall in
Anor Londo

Grief.exe

I can't believe I was having so much trouble last night trying to get through Sen's, I think I was just really tired.

I slept on it, and I just dominated the run in one try. At the
Iron Golem
now.

Some good views from up here, especially with Durante's DOF fix. Downsampled from 1440p, 16x AF.

Titanite shards become pretty common. Upgrade the Battle Axe to +2 and you can get more later.

I used the Battle Axe for the longest time actually. I only switched when I found a Balder Side Sword, now I have that at +10

Sullichin

Even if you meet the requirements for the halberd, you will always stumble at the end of an RB attack that doesn't hit anything. If you hit an enemy you won't stumble. I prefer that over the battle axe. You can buy/farm materials for upgrading them so it's not a big deal to change your mind later.

Top Bottom