• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Finalow

I can't believe I was having so much trouble last night trying to get through Sen's, I think I was just really tired.
first time I tried that place I stayed there like 2 hours, dying again and again. then I read "there is an elevator that once unlocked takes you directly to the boss" and I was like MFFFUUU.

Revoh

Are the catacombs one of the hardest places of the game?
I'm stucked for like 4 hours now, it's really difficult to kill the old man who keeps respawning skeletons without any range weapons.

Razek

Banned
Go and check out the stats of the halberd. Highlight it in the inventory and press X I believe, it shows the stat requirements for proper use. It'll either be dependent on your Strength or your Dexterity skill.

Havel's ring is one of the best rings in the game, yo.

Then I rejoice! It should help me out later since I plan on wearing the biggest armor I can find.

There is a way to get his gear later in the game. IIRC it's in a secret room hidden behind an illusory wall in
Anor Londo

SERIOUSLY? THAT'S AWESOME! He was really cool. I just want to make an armored tank/shield character. Yes! I can't wait for that.

--

One thing I freaking love about this game is that everything you see you basically can go to, and everything connects in a really cool way. Just found the town->garden connection->blacksmith in the parish. Really neat.

mxgt

Banned
I'm stucked for like 4 hours now, it's really difficult to kill the old man who keeps respawning skeletons without any range weapons.

Tip:
If you craft a divine weapon and use it to kill the skeletons they won't respawn

Zzoram

SERIOUSLY? THAT'S AWESOME! He was really cool. I just want to make an armored tank/shield character. Yes! I can't wait for that.

His shield requires an insane amount of strength, like 46 or 50 or something. His armor is also insanely heavy. I think his armor is the best in the game from just stats, but most people don't use it because it's so heavy you can't roll wearing it. You may be able to roll wearing a few pieces if you have really high END though.

I always just focused on taking out one necromancer each "life", and sprinted past everything else (while blocking any unavoidable hits). With a hard hitting weapon you should be able to kill them in three or so hits, which will give you a little time before the skeletons that you skipped gank you in the back.

slimer5

Neo Member
Go and check out the stats of the halberd. Highlight it in the inventory and press X I believe, it shows the stat requirements for proper use. It'll either be dependent on your Strength or your Dexterity skill.
I had to raise my strength a couple points in order to meet the minimum requirement, but that's it. But Sullichin's comment makes sense as to why I stumble at the end of the swing.
Titanite shards become pretty common. Upgrade the Battle Axe to +2 and you can get more later.

I used the Battle Axe for the longest time actually. I only switched when I found a Balder Side Sword, now I have that at +10
That's refreshing to know that the battle axe lasts for a while. I was beginning to think I missed some good weapons. I've been hearing about the Drake sword, but I wanted to keep this play through as blind as possible, so I avoided reading how to obtain it.
Even if you meet the requirements for the halberd, you will always stumble at the end of an RB attack that doesn't hit anything. If you hit an enemy you won't stumble. I prefer that over the battle axe. You can buy/farm materials for upgrading them so it's not a big deal to change your mind later.
This makes sense, thanks. I'll have to figure out where to farm for the shards later on then. Right now, I just need to figure out which route to take lol.

Revoh

Tip:
If you craft a divine weapon and use it to kill the skeletons they won't respawn
Nice, will keep that in mind. Don't know how to do that just yet.

I always just focused on taking out one necromancer each "life", and sprinted past everything else (while blocking any unavoidable hits). With a hard hitting weapon you should be able to kill them in three or so hits, which will give you a little time before the skeletons that you skipped gank you in the back.

Yeah, that's what I did too. There's just one old man that I don't know how to reach him.
It's the one where you
push the lever to turn the brige, go inside "the portal" (forgot its name) and there he is, it looks like he's on a second floor or something.

Razek

Banned
His shield requires an insane amount of strength, like 46 or 50 or something. His armor is also insanely heavy. I think his armor is the best in the game from just stats, but most people don't use it because it's so heavy you can't roll wearing it. You may be able to roll wearing a few pieces if you have really high END though.

Oh crap, I forgot about the strength requirement. That goes against my current build. I might have to rethink things.

derwalde

okay one last question regarding upgrades: my elite knight armor parts are all on +6. i would like to go with this armor longer (through the game?). worth upgrading it further? it looks so fucking brilliant.

Hoo-doo

Banned
***early game spoiler*** (How do I use invisi-text?)

I just headed to the roof of the church to face off with the Gargoyles, and totally laid them out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX6Ft67O09

I remember how hard this part was the first time I played this game, it's amazing how much this game favours player skill vs. stats.

Just pop "[spoiler ]" in front and "[/spoiler ]" at the end of the stuff you want spoiler'd.

Without the spaces, obviously.

Grief.exe

This is one of the only times I have called bs on this game.

In Sen's, fighting the
Iron Golem
boss and when he does a grab attack I avoid it, but my body like teleports to his hand and he throws me down.

So annoying.

mxgt

Banned
okay one last question regarding upgrades: my elite knight armor parts are all on +6. i would like to go with this armor longer (through the game?). worth upgrading it further? it looks so fucking brilliant.

The chest is worth going all the way, one of the best in the game at +10

Razek

Banned
A tip for all those playing PC Dark Souls out there and leaving messages: Please don't leave your messages in front op a door way/chest so I can't activate it in a pinch. That's really annoying.

Just found Capra. Wow he's tough, you guys weren't kidding.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ridiculous.

D71ic.jpg

It seems i am doing things in the wrong order lol.

I beat Sif before going to the Depths but lost 20K souls to the three giants dogs before him ;_;.

Revoh

Yeah, that's what I did too. There's just one old man that I don't know how to reach him.
It's the one where you
push the lever to turn the brige, go inside "the portal" (forgot its name) and there he is, it looks like he's on a second floor or something.

Finally got his ass. Fuck you old man

Vaporak

Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed.

This games net code is horseshit. I'm just gonna go hang with my bud Solair instead.

If the Catacombs are being hard, just go back when you get the Divine Ember. The entire area is ridiculously easy once the enemies aren't constantly respawning. The boss is a joke, too.

Considering the first time I went there was when I was going against Nito, the entire place felt like a joke. Similarly, Nito was crazy easy, for all the badass he looks. Even more surprising, given how annoying the giant skeletons are in Tomb of Giants.

I never played Demon's Souls, should I get that first or can I just jump into this? Dark Souls seems to have a better reputation, but is it just notoriety from the difficulty level?

Maybe send him a message telling him to just stay away or be more cautious while you deal damage?

I got lucky, a black knight dropped a shield for me early (95% fire damage reduction) so I can fight toe to toe with her. I think this guy sees me doing it so he does the same thing.

Recarpo

Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed. Summoning failed.

This games net code is horseshit. I'm just gonna go hang with my bud Solair instead.

I figured it was just my internet acting up or something. I'm getting about 1 successful summon out of 10 attempts. Getting ridiculous.

I'm using the balder side sword, i feel so weak using it. I already dedicated to go dex build =( i miss my awesome black knight's sword on my xbox run.

Sullichin

I'm using the balder side sword, i feel so weak using it. I already dedicated to go dex build =( i miss my awesome black knight's sword on my xbox run.
I'm more proficient with str weapons, and used to only having to swing once on a counter. With the BSS you can often get two or three swings in the same timeframe, just takes getting used to.

Did they even test the Capra fight once?
Throw an alluring skull right after going through the door.

Sullichin

That's what I mean. You can just sit there and he can't even get you. Easiest fight in the game so far.

Oh. Well, the dogs can still get you up there, and he can get up there for a couple of seconds before falling off - but he can still hurt you before that. It definitely gives you a huge advantage, but that's the point.

Eusis

2 hours later and I'm still battling with Knight Astorias... son of a bitch!
I so suspect you're too low of a soul level, either my skills atrophied (or I actually suck a lot more than I thought) or even 60-80 is still going to be a pain. Though I did waste a few levels on Int/Faith points only to discover I'd need about 10 more to wield the normal Greatsword of Artorias properly, but that would've been higher than your's. For now I'd just tackle something else.

Speaking of which, I'm having trouble fighting the dragon in the new content! Trying to cut off his tail, but it's a pain to get it low enough. Maybe I'll just wait for videos to pop up, or straight up kill it. Whichever.

Karak

Man even with the 360 controller I can't kick well which makes it a bit harder to take down some enemies. No matter what I just can't pull it off more than 50% of the time hahahaha.

As for the game, I got it running on my 680 downsampling and man it looks pretty good. I do get a bit lost at times.

Also the game seems overly dark no matter what I do. Brightness at 10 and a good amount of the details are lost in the darkness.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Finished up all the new content. I was kind of diffident towards it at first, but in the end I enjoyed it a lot. There was one thing that I really loved about it, specifically
how the whole plot arc so to speak is making fun of the Pendant obsession.

I think some of the new stuff is going to mess around with people's build preferences. Now that I've had a gander at the new items and spells I'm kind of itching to start a new character specifically to use some of them.

What if the trick was to kill him by hitting only his tail?

Then boy is my face going to be red.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
When I force fullscreen, it gets all black with glitchy text... anyone know what to do?

Quikies83

I so suspect you're too low of a soul level, either my skills atrophied (or I actually suck a lot more than I thought) or even 60-80 is still going to be a pain. Though I did waste a few levels on Int/Faith points only to discover I'd need about 10 more to wield the normal Greatsword of Artorias properly, but that would've been higher than your's. For now I'd just tackle something else.

Speaking of which, I'm having trouble fighting the dragon in the new content! Trying to cut off his tail, but it's a pain to get it low enough. Maybe I'll just wait for videos to pop up, or straight up kill it. Whichever.

I don't think I'm too low a SL to beat this boss. I've gotten him down to a quarter health 4 or 5 times. It's very hard to heal against this boss, I'm finding.

Top Bottom