• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Ridley327

I think I screw it up.

NPC:

Someone killed the dude that reinforce the flasks and the firekeeper is missing. I saved this dude with gold armor before and now he's nowhere to be seen. Crap...

Well, I feel good about taking out my agressions on that guy now. :D

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I think I screw it up.

NPC:

Someone killed the dude that reinforce the flasks and the firekeeper is missing. I saved this dude with gold armor before and now he's nowhere to be seen. Crap...

Nah, you're fine. It's a sidequest.
Pick up the Firekeeper's robes and the Black Eye Orb where she used to be. Later on you'll receive a message that the Black Eye Orb is quivering. When you get that message, use it. When you win the ensuing fight you'll receive a Firekeeper's Soul. Don't use it to reinforce your flask, hold on to it until you return to Firelink and you can use it to revive the Firekeeper.

Well, I feel good about taking out my agressions on that guy now. :D

Killing him off the bat gets you a very nice ring early, but doing the whole quest chain also gets you some armor and some additional backstory if you care about those things.

Dizzy-4U

Nah, you're fine. It's a sidequest.
Pick up the Firekeeper's robes and the Black Eye Orb where she used to be. Later on you'll receive a message that the Black Eye Orb is quivering. When you get that message, use it. When you win the ensuing fight you'll receive a Firekeeper's Soul. Don't use it to reinforce your flask, hold on to it until you return to Firelink and you can use it to revive the Firekeeper.

Killing him off the bat gets you a very nice ring early, but doing the whole quest chain also gets you some armor and some additional backstory if you care about those things.

Phew, thanks for that. Something like that happened to me in Demon's Souls.

Clevinger

6319048558_2e3cffd3fa.jpg

Fuck these guys

I don't know if I fucked up entering the catacombs at SL 25, I'm at the boss now but goddamn this level was a total nightmare, took me about 6 hours

Probably my least favorite enemy in the whole game. I was probably more than twice your level, and they were still a gigantic pain in the balls.

Grief.exe

Just came to reiterate what an amazing weekend I've had with this game.

I've already learned so much, but this game is so deep, there is always more to learn. So glad my gf has been out of town this weekend, or I would have been in huge trouble.

I think I screw it up.

NPC:

Yep, you are all good. I haven't gotten to that specific quest yet.

But I've heard Lautrec is a douche and when he was gone and the firekeeper was dead I put two and two together.

I think he is in
New Londo Ruins

I've been running around with a Long Sword +5 for so long. My plan is to turn it into a fire long sword but damage output is so low. I've been helping people beat Quelaag and it does 32 pts of damage with a regular swing. Something about the way the long sword looks, though. It looks substantial but realistic. Very utilitarian but elegant at the same time.

Ridley327

The only story I needed was that he looked like a creep and it probably would have been wise of him to stay in that church! Your shotels are no match for my parrying skills!

Revoh

Does Pinwheel drops any loot?
We killed each other simultaneously and when I got there again to pick up my souls I couldn't find any loot, just the souls

ixix

Does Pinwheel drops any loot?
We killed each other simultaneously and when I got there again to pick up my souls I couldn't find any loot, just the souls

He drops a random mask. Later on you'll meet an NPC who sells all three masks, so you didn't permanently miss anything. If you want the whole set you need to buy the two he didn't drop anyhow, so it's really no big loss.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I've been running around with a Long Sword +5 for so long. My plan is to turn it into a fire long sword but damage output is so low. I've been helping people beat Quelaag and it does 32 pts of damage with a regular swing. Something about the way the long sword looks, though. It looks substantial but realistic. Very utilitarian but elegant at the same time.

hell yeah great swords are awesome
phpFNsq8kPM.jpg

Karak

I am still pretty early in this. I am in undeadberg as a Knight level 10. Are you supposed to run past the boss characters? I found a massive demon on top of a bridge section. 1 hit killed me. And then a dude at the bottom of a set of inner tower steps with a massive club, also 1 hit kills me. But I have been searching for about 4 hours and can't find anywhere to go but...one of those 2 ways.

Hmmm. I looked it up. Looks like this might not be the game for me. Seeing alot of boss battles and so forth that involve some pretty cheesy mechanics to beat or cheat them to their death. Not exactly as skill based as I was hoping. Though the backstab strategy on the big club guy at least seems to require some skill.

Very odd game. Half the time it feels like I am just gaming bad Ai or something. Not sure what to think.

Orayn

I am still pretty early in this. I am in undeadberg as a Knight level 10. Are you supposed to run past the boss characters? I found a massive demon on top of a bridge section. 1 hit killed me. And then a dude at the bottom of a set of inner tower steps with a massive club, also 1 hit kills me. But I have been searching for about 4 hours and can't find anywhere to go but...one of those 2 ways.

You need to beat the guy on the bridge to advance. Try climbing the tower and using a plunging attack on him?

Revoh

He drops a random mask. Later on you'll meet an NPC who sells all three masks, so you didn't permanently miss anything. If you want the whole set you need to buy the two he didn't drop anyhow, so it's really no big loss.

Oh I see, no biggie

Lost all my souls right after beating pinwheel, fucking tomb of giants, where was the first bonfire? Great way to start a level with a giant skeleton that one shotted me
Need to start all over again from the catacombs now.

Ceebs

Just got to the
big dragon thing
inside the painting. This thing must have looked like a giant blob of purple on the consoles as it's still hard to make out any detail with the resolution bumped up.

Anteater

Oh I see, no biggie

Lost all my souls right after beating pinwheel, fucking tomb of giants, where was the first bonfire? Great way to start a level with a giant skeleton that one shotted me
Need to start all over again from the catacombs now.

bonfire is a few giants into the level, it's a terrible place.

After a boss I always just warp back to the bonfire to use my souls even if I think there'll be a bit backtracking, but I know the level so I could get back really quick at least.

Revoh

bonfire is a few giants into the level, it's a terrible place.

After a boss I always just warp back to the bonfire to use my souls even if I think there'll be a bit backtracking, but I know the level so I could get back really quick at least.

Yeah, I learned my lesson, from now on I'll always do that.
Lost 25k souls and I'm SL 27, that was probably 4-5 levels :(

ixix

Booo. That's disappointing.

I had a bit of a laugh when I checked the description. I guess it does technically mean it's fixed.

I'm not sure if they buffed the Chaos spells to be more powerful than their normal counterparts. When I tried out Great Chaos Fireball it did more damage than I think it used to, but I didn't actually have a regular Great Fireball to compare it to, so I'm basically operating entirely on hazy memories and wild speculation when I say that.

Does anyone know what
the Magnus and Guardian souls do?

Manus' Soul can be used to make a catalyst that's basically a combination of the Tin Crystallization Catalyst and the Tin Banishment Catalyst. It halves your number of spell castings, has a very high MagAdjust, and can be used as a viable but not particularly good melee weapon.

A guy I co-oped with earlier told me it can also be traded to the crow for a spell. Not sure if the spell's any good; I made the catalyst.

Don't make the catalyst, by the way. It's bad.

hell yeah great swords are awesome

I'm not too fond of their new nerfed state. I think the MBH is going to become my default Int-build weapon from now on.

Razek

Banned
God... I didn't think this would happen to me, but I'm in love with this game. It really is an awesome and better successor to one of my favorite games, Demon Souls. That moment when you finally push past the barrier holding you back and you make massive progress is just an astounding feeling. (In demon souls, it was usually making it to the reaper so you could grind your level really high).

For me, I just loved what my character turned into. The look, feel, and the sound of his armor along with the power of his pyromancy; he's just such a boss. Being safe behind my shield with my spear is also made combat very interesting. It's fun playing as a likable character for once, especially since I have made him my own.

He's nothing special to you guys and he might look a bit goofy, but I really like his tribal theme:

I've said before that information is the best resource in Dark Souls, and playing it for second time on my PC double-dip I realize how true that is...I just tore through the game up past the
gargoyles
in like 90 minutes without even really trying. I'm not much better at fighting them, I just know the tools I need to have. I think this took me something like 7 hours the first time.

A lot of people are struggling with Quelaag. I'm not getting much out of helping people out. They typically die to the big explosion attack or the butt flamethrower attack.

Karak

You need to beat the guy on the bridge to advance. Try climbing the tower and using a plunging attack on him?

Ya just saw that thanks for the advice I might try that.

After about 15 attempts at the dude with the massive club I figured it was time to put the game away for a few weeks. The repetition complete removed any joy I got from it. Might return to it at a later time though.

Orayn

Ya just saw that thanks for the advice I might try that.

After about 15 attempts at the dude with the massive club I figured it was time to put the game away for a few weeks. The repetition complete removed any joy I got from it. Might return to it at a later time though.

He's not so bad once you learn to circle around and backstab him. Beating him's not essential, though, as he's just guarding a minor treasure.

Recarpo

I'm not too fond of their new nerfed state. I think the MBH is going to become my default Int-build weapon from now on.

Is the MBH pretty solid? I'm trying out my first int focused character and I was trying to find a good weapon that I could enjoy.

Foffy

Banned
I had a bit of a laugh when I checked the description. I guess it does technically mean it's fixed.

I'm not sure if they buffed the Chaos spells to be more powerful than their normal counterparts. When I tried out Great Chaos Fireball it did more damage than I think it used to, but I didn't actually have a regular Great Fireball to compare it to, so I'm basically operating entirely on hazy memories and wild speculation when I say that.

Manus' Soul can be used to make a catalyst that's basically a combination of the Tin Crystallization Catalyst and the Tin Banishment Catalyst. It halves your number of spell castings, has a very high MagAdjust, and can be used as a viable but not particularly good melee weapon.

A guy I co-oped with earlier told me it can also be traded to the crow for a spell. Not sure if the spell's any good; I made the catalyst.

Don't make the catalyst, by the way. It's bad.

I see, but what of the
Guardian soul?

ixix

Is the MBH pretty solid? I'm trying out my first int focused character and I was trying to find a good weapon that I could enjoy.

It doesn't seem to be very popular, but I'm pretty fond of it for heavy Int builds. It has low stat requirements that free up more points to pump Vitality and Endurance, which can sometimes be in short supply in a build which is aiming for 50 Int, all of its damage is Magic-type, so you don't have to go through multiple types of defenses, it scales with the stat you're pumping already, and it's got insanely long reach. It also has all the standard spear bonuses, like being able to attack with a raised shield and the hidden backstab bonus.

It's never going to set the world on fire with its damage, but in a build that's aiming for 50 Int and is likely going to be leaning heavily on Sorcery for big damage it's an extremely attractive package on the whole. Its main drawback in the console versions was that the MGS was pretty much just plain better, but with the nerf I think the MBH's star has risen, relatively speaking.

I see, but what of the
Guardian soul?

Not sure. Haven't found a use yet.

Geoff9920

First bell boss fight:
I summoned both knight Solaire and Lautrec for the fight. The end results was me sitting back and watch them take out both Gargoyles, including cutting off the tail of one of them, and me not having to lift a finger to win the fight and ring the first bell. o_O
That was unexpected. :p

Holy shit! I made it to the boss in the depths and at first I thought it was a scally seal or a crocodile creature, and then it emerged. How the hell am I supposed to defeat that thing. Another dude summoned me to help and we still got our asses handed to us.

First time in a long time I felt in awe of a video game, and almost shit my pants!

Teknoman

God... I didn't think this would happen to me, but I'm in love with this game. It really is an awesome and better successor to one of my favorite games, Demon Souls. That moment when you finally push past the barrier holding you back and you make massive progress is just an astounding feeling. (In demon souls, it was usually making it to the reaper so you could grind your level really high).

For me, I just loved what my character turned into. The look, feel, and the sound of his armor along with the power of his pyromancy; he's just such a boss. Being safe behind my shield with my spear is also made combat very interesting. It's fun playing as a likable character for once, especially since I have made him my own.

He's nothing special to you guys and he might look a bit goofy, but I really like his tribal theme:

Looks pretty intimidating actually. Thumbs up from me.

Raxus

Holy shit! I made it to the boss in the depths and at first I thought it was a scally seal or a crocodile creature, and then it emerged. How the hell am I supposed to defeat that thing. Another dude summoned me to help and we still got our asses handed to us.

First time in a long time I felt in awe of a video game, and almost shit my pants!

Just dodge him until he clamps down on the ground. If you want to risk it you can squeeze in a shot or two or you can wait until he charges and then tear him apart. When he starts to move or fly just run away. It is a long fight but probably one of the easiest in the game.

Teknoman

You talking about
Gaping Dragon
?

Teknoman

He is. That boss might be the easiest in the game when you know when to attack it, not to discourage you. :p

Oh yeah it was easy, but damn if it isnt one of the more outlandish bosses in the series. I had no idea what to think the first time I saw it.

The tail. Always stay away from the arms, or else it'll grab you. Attack the tail, if you cut it you get a weapon. When he loses the tail attack attacking the back is seriously safe. As long as you can survive the tail swipe long enough to use an Estus, you can beat him.

Top Bottom