• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Gvaz

Banned
So I got past the dragon, and the boar, and I've unlocked that bonfire...now what?

That big gate is closed and I can't figure out where to go next.

Give it to me straight honey, what do i do?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Ah criminy. I've gotten all the new spells, but I've forgotten which one was where exactly. I think it's in
Oolacile Township, across a gap you need to jump across in the building near the elevator to the Chasm of the Abyss.

But that might actually be one of the new Sorceries I'm remembering. If it is, I apologize in advance.
Is it the building with
all the mobs and witch things on the ground floor?
I thought I had explored that place pretty well, hmm

MGrant

This game, guys. This game. Let me just thank Durante like everyone else for the PC enhancements he's provided; he didn't have to do that, and it means a lot to me personally that he did.

First time playing a Souls game for me, and I'm up to the
Capra Demon
now. What a dick. Summoned another player and got him down to less than half of his life, but then he decided to turn around and flatten me with his unblockable jump attack. Pffff. First enemy I've had trouble with so far, but I'm loving how involved they made every single fight.

Teknoman

So I got past the dragon, and the boar, and I've unlocked that bonfire...now what?

Go deeper.

This game, guys. This game. Let me just thank Durante like everyone else for the PC enhancements he's provided; he didn't have to do that, and it means a lot to me personally that he did.

Capra Demon
now. What a dick. Summoned another player and got him down to less than half of his life, but then he decided to turn around and flatten me with his unblockable jump attack. Pffff. First enemy I've had trouble with so far, but I'm loving how involved they made every single fight.

Go up the side.

MGrant

You're at the bonfire above the blacksmith, right? Go back upstairs to the area you came from and kill the crossbowman and the two swordsmen before going into the building they're guarding. If you find yourself against a black knight with a big-ass mace, you are going the right way.

The place where you fought the boar? Don't go to the big closed gate, go to the passage that's on the right.

Gvaz

Banned
I went there and I killed that black knight asshole, and there's nothing there. Just a broken ledge and a higher area I can't get to.

Also how do you turn off the hud?

Zeliard

You can turn off the HUD in the options. Unless you're trying to take some pics I wouldn't recommend having it off for the newer player. :p

Just dodge him until he clamps down on the ground. If you want to risk it you can squeeze in a shot or two or you can wait until he charges and then tear him apart. When he starts to move or fly just run away. It is a long fight but probably one of the easiest in the game.

Thanks. I'm going to try tomorrow.

You talking about
Gaping Dragon
?

So that's what that thing is called.

The tail. Always stay away from the arms, or else it'll grab you. Attack the tail, if you cut it you get a weapon. When he loses the tail attack attacking the back is seriously safe. As long as you can survive the tail swipe long enough to use an Estus, you can beat him.

You play Dark Souls?! You are like my perfect girl ;)
Thanks for the hints. I'll conquer that sucker tomorrow.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member

Capra Demon
It's actually blockable, I think 99% of physical attacks in the game are, sans some grab moves.

Usually it's just because you don't have enough endurance/high stability shield to tank the hit though so it goes through and looks unblockable.

joe2187

Banned
If anyone wants to help me out with some jolly co-op, Im heading to the Painted World, I'll summon anyone I see.

I'm so sorry priscilla :'(

MGrant

I went there and I killed that black knight asshole, and there's nothing there. Just a broken ledge and a higher area I can't get to.

Also how do you turn off the hud?

In the room with the black knight, there should be a staircase going upward near the elevator on the opposite side from the entrance you came from.

Can't turn off the HUD from what I can tell.

Teknoman

It's actually blockable, I think 99% of physical attacks in the game are, sans some grab moves.

Usually it's just because you don't have enough endurance/high stability shield to tank the hit though so it goes through and looks unblockable.

Yeah that is one thing I like, but sometimes you'll be so awe-struck by the size or design of the enemy, you wont even try to block.

MGrant

Good to know! I'll be heading elsewhere to grind up some endurance/stability for my shield.

Zeliard

Yeah, pretty much. If you have a physical shield that blocks 100% of physical attacks, those attacks will generally be blocked, but if they are getting through it means either 1) there is some additional form of attack type on it, i.e. magic, fire, lightning, or 2) the attack is so powerful relative to the shield's stability rating that it is reducing your entire stamina bar and then hitting your health.

And yeah Capra screws with a lot of people because he has this overhand smash that seems unblockable, though it's likely you just need a shield with high stability to block it. I roll out of that guy's way so I'm not sure if the move is fully unblockable or not, but it has that effect for a lot of shields at that point, regardless. I'm a "roll the hell out of the way" type of player as far as defense rather than trying to block stuff.

d0c_zaius

not sure if this is the place to post it or the durante topic, but does anyone else get locked at 15fps until they use a bonfire?

Its weird but when I load the game, its 15 no matter where I go or what I do, then as soon as I use a bonfire, it goes to 30 and stays there.

Zeliard

Good to know! I'll be heading elsewhere to grind up some endurance/stability for my shield.

Having a high stability shield is a nice thing but don't neglect the dodge-roll. It can get you out of some sticky situations. Sometimes enemies will come with consecutive attacks and you may block the first, but the second or third will get through and put a hurting on you.

Also, random tip for whoever hasn't noticed it: when you have your shield down, your stamina regenerates considerably faster in combat. Get used to keeping your shield down between attacks after you've gotten a handle on the enemy's attack patterns.

As long as you are able to get back to bonfires with your souls from defeating bosses there should never be a time when you need to grind in Dark Souls. Unless you are in a wrong area for your level the game is metered out that redoing content is unnecessary (Demon's Souls handled this better given the linear nature though).

Zzoram

Hrm the caped dude near the Knight Shield, was he an npc? he had his back turned and i killed him

Those are Caped Knights. They are moderately tough, stronger than any Hollow enemies. They have a decent move set, the Rapier wielding ones are especially annoying.

Lombax

Banned
good old Dark Souls, Drake Sword is close to busted, had to switch to a terrible axe killed by the
Gaping Dragon
loose 10000 souls, then on the way back I get ganked by a jellyfish from the ceiling...LOVE THIS GAME!

Zzoram

good old Dark Souls, Drake Sword is close to busted, had to switch to a terrible axe killed by the
Gaping Dragon
loose 10000 souls, then on the way back I get ganked by a jellyfish from the ceiling...LOVE THIS GAME!

Those slimes on the ceilings cost me so many souls.

Can you even shake them off your head? How?

Grief.exe

So I just realized that there are dodge breakpoints, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22jsJ8D2WKw, but I'm playing a low STR character, pumping mostly END/VIT for my first play through.

I feel like I should be wearing a lighter armor that is good for melee, so decent armor and good poise, anyone can recommend me something like that? That would be fairly easy to get?

I'm in Anor Londo right now.

Dizzy-4U

I just beat the
Hell
Boss. Probably the easiest fight in existance. I think I need better weapons if I want to continiue this path because it took me ages to beat one of the enemies down there.

edit: I killed a saint. Noooooo!

Nyoro SF

So I was chilling, summoning fools... then I got invaded by a hacker that oneshot everyone with a fire spell and had infinite rolling ability.

No more human form.

Sullichin

So I just realized that there are dodge breakpoints, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22jsJ8D2WKw, but I'm playing a low STR character, pumping mostly END/VIT for my first play through.

I feel like I should be wearing a lighter armor that is good for melee, so decent armor and good poise, anyone can recommend me something like that? That would be fairly easy to get?

I'm in Anor Londo right now.

You're never really going to get a lot of poise wearing light armor. Ornstein's set and Elite Knight set are mid-weight armor that have some poise, the really high poise stuff is always going to be very heavy and clunky.

Zzoram

So I was chilling, summoning fools... then I got invaded by a hacker that oneshot everyone with a fire spell and had infinite rolling ability.

No more human form.

Consider it a random challenge. Next time try to get him to roll off a cliff, it kills you even if you have infinite HP. Either that or try to kick him off a cliff next time.

If you manage to kill a hacker, you usually get an insane number of souls as a reward because they tend to keep a huge number of souls on them at all times.

Sullichin

Consider it a random challenge. Next time try to get him to roll off a cliff, it kills you even if you have infinite HP. Either that or try to kick him off a cliff next time.

If you manage to kill a hacker, you usually get an insane number of souls as a reward because they tend to keep a huge number of souls on them at all times.

The amount of souls you get has nothing to do with how many souls they're carrying, it's based on their level.

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/mini-calcs

Nyoro SF

Roll off a cliff? He invaded me inside a tower. Also all he has to do is bait one attack and I'm dead since he's HACKING and has no limits.

Not worth dying in this game over hacking. Maybe later on when the game isn't as popular and the hackers get bored.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Is it the building with
all the mobs and witch things on the ground floor?
I thought I had explored that place pretty well, hmm

I think so, yeah. It's
the building that's straight to your left when you take the shortcut elevator at the beginning of Oolacile Township down. There are three of the melee guys right inside the door and a witch enemy on a wooden balcony right above your head when you enter. The place I'm thinking of is up the stairs on the ground floor. Not the stairs you came down on when your first entered the area that are exposed to the main chamber, the stairs through a small doorway. If you keep ascending you'll eventually find a place with a collapsed floor and a single melee enemy. Facing the collapsed part of the floor you'll see a small plank still intact attached to the left wall. This is what you need to jump to. Once you make the jump you need to walk across a sort of treacherous section until you reach solid ground again, where there's a corpse with an item on it. I'm pretty sure this is the Black Flame spell. If it's not, it's the Dark Bead spell, and I've forgotten where the Black Flame is. If it's not there it might actually be in the room you fall into if you miss the jump, where there are a bunch of melee enemies and a corpse or two around the walls. If it's not there either then I've just plum forgotten.

Zzoram

Once you master this game, you have to take the ultimate challenge and beat the game with a new character that you never level up. The level 1 Pyro is the easiest for this challenge since you can level up the Pyro glove and do decent damage with that. The Wanderer is the toughest for the no-leveling challenge because his stats are so horrible at the start and he doesn't even start with armor.

Grief.exe

You're never really going to get a lot of poise wearing light armor. Ornstein's set and Elite Knight set are mid-weight armor that have some poise, the really high poise stuff is always going to be very heavy and clunky.

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the Ornstein set. I'm about to fight that boss right now.

EDIT: Oh wow that fight is tough lol

Foffy

Banned
Completed the game, and overall I actually liked the expansion to the game. Granted, a lot of it was cancelled stuff found in various aspects on the disc of the console version, it's nice to see it realized and introduced in the game. In fact, it has me asking a question I never asked before:
are the Kingseekers the source of Dark? Originally I took the plot of the original game as Fire being for the age of Gods, and Dark being the age of Man, as it was the humanity of Man that was given the Dark Soul. This is further emphasized with the plot details of Kingseeker Kaathe, the optional Kingseeker in the game. But certain plot points in Oolacile have me to believe the Kingseekers released the Dark into the world, and it was they who cause the Four Kings and Artorias to be consumed by Dark. What makes this a little more confusing is Frampt. Seeing as he's a Kingseeker, why does he and only he want to have you relink the Fire? Is it a ruse to keep the cycle of the Undead curse around in the world as the Dark Soul likely comes from them? Either way, it seems the Kingseekers accomplish their goal by plauging the world with Dark in some form, be it pure Dark with no linked Fire, or linked Fire with the curse of the Undead abound in the world. Pretty interesting stuff I'd say.

Top Bottom