• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Razek

Banned
I'll have a look around for this knight the next time I play. Thanks.

If you mean the glove, I think you missed it. It was in the tutorial area. I was talking about a sword drop from the knight. (unless I'm misinterpreting your message here)

IoCaster

If you mean the glove, I think you missed it. It was in the tutorial area. I was talking about a sword drop from the knight. (unless I'm misinterpreting your message here)

Yes, I meant the glove and misread your post. Oh well, I guess I'll just write off the fireball stuff since I missed it. :/

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The glove is only in the tutorial area if you start as a pyromancer

To get it regularly you have to save the pyro trainer in the depths

Yeah, I don't have that. I'll keep a lookout for it. Thanks.
Are you a Pyromancer? If so you get it right at the start before fighting the Asylum Demon, I've never played a Pyromancer, but items like that are usually the item waiting to be picked up after you unlock the door at the top of the stairs where the boulder rolls down.

If you missed it, there is a way back to the Asylum just a warning if you go back early on:
the room where you fought the Asylum demon, be very careful not walk in the center of the room

^ Answered above, but you can get a glove for free from the pyromancy merchant after rescuing him
answer NO to his question if you find magic unsavoury

KSai

Edit: On an other note, am I the only one that did not get the achievement for "reaching Lordran"? You are supposed to get it right at the beginning of the game but I did not... It's not really a problem because it literally takes 5 minutes to get to this point but still, it's a bit weird.

My copy is glitched too. I got the Lordran achievement at the beginning, no problems, but after I killed the Stray Demon I was awarded the achievement again upon my return to Lordran.

I killed Ornstein and Smough on my first try. I've never felt so powerful before, I used a Demon's Great Hammer +13. Is anyone else sequence breaking? All undead clerics have a duty to acquire the Rite of Kindling above all else.

IoCaster

There is another glove you can get assuming you don't kill the NPC who gives it to you.

Are you a Pyromancer? If so you get it right at the start before fighting the Asylum Demon, I've never played a Pyromancer, but items like that are usually the item waiting to be picked up after you unlock the door at the top of the stairs where the boulder rolls down.

If you missed it, there is a way back to the Asylum just a warning if you go back early on:
the room where you fought the Asylum demon, be very careful not walk in the center of the room

^ Answered above, but you can get a glove for free from the pyromancy merchant after rescuing him
answer NO to his question if you find magic unsavoury

Alright, thanks for the info. I missed the gloves and probably a whole lot of other shit since I started this game.

Grief.exe

My copy is glitched too. I got the Lordran achievement at the beginning, no problems, but after I killed the Stray Demon I was awarded the achievement again upon my return to Lordran.

I killed Ornstein and Smough on my first try. I've never felt so powerful before, I used a Demon's Great Hammer +13. Is anyone else sequence breaking? All undead clerics have a duty to acquire the Rite of Kindling above all else.

Wow massive respect if you killed them on your first try. I'm assuming you've played these games before though.
I'm slowly working my way through that boss right now, just killed smough first but Ornstein killed me as his buddy was dying. Its annoying how Ornstein can attack you through Smough.

I still haven't gotten the Lordran achievement lol.

KSai

Yeah, those guys kill the hell out of me on the consoles. It was a PC first. I was genuinely amused. I like using heavy weapons because it's fun to watch the bosses flinch.

Raxus

What level are you? I'm waiting to be summoned to do O&S right now in the bonfire room. SL55.

Yeah I am SL 50 and S&O can be very hit or miss. I went and did everything in the castle and no summon one time and on the next I got summoned fighting the first giant. I even got summoned into a NG+ game once.

Nobody ever responded to my query on light armor in the game. I am using the gold hemmed set now but I am looking to upgrade.

joe2187

Banned
Dumb question, where would I be able to access the DLC content? I've been all over the place and have yet to find anything new, am I missing something?

Grief.exe

What level are you? I'm waiting to be summoned to do O&S right now in the bonfire room. SL55.

PM'd lets work togther.

Still making progress. Just killed Smaugh and Ornstein to half health.

Question:

I beat Quelaag and rang the second bell. In the Demon Ruins theres another boss, should I go for himo r leve him later?

I wouldn't they are pretty tough I've heard.

Use the Water Wheel in the bottom of Blighttown to escape back to Firelink Shrine.

Taruranto

Things got fucked up on my side.

So basically, i managed to reach the bottom of
The Great Hollow
i fought the
Hydra
in the
Ash Lake,

All was good and fun until i got curse as i climbed back the Hollow. Fuck! So i had to climb back all the Hollow and Brightown with half HP until i finally reached the fire shrine again... only to find they fucking
killed the Guardian and i couldn't use the bonfire there. Fuck N.2.

So i had to use the elevator, go to
Undead Parish
and use the bonfire there.

Then i had to go back again, all the way to New Londo Ruins, to the NPC who undoes the curse.

And then now hopefully, i can find how to use the eye and bring back
the guardian
so i can use the damn bonfire again.

ruuk

Things got fucked up on my side.

So basically, i managed to reach the bottom of
The Great Hollow
i fought the
Hydra
in the
Ash Lake,

All was good and fun until i got curse as i climbed back the Hollow. Fuck! So i had to climb back all the Hollow and Brightown with half HP until i finally reached the fire shrine again... only to find they fucking
killed the Guardian and i couldn't use the bonfire there. Fuck N.2.

So i had to use the elevator, go to
Undead Parish
and use the bonfire there.

Then i had to go back again, all the way to New Londo Ruins, to the NPC who undoes the curse.

And then now hopefully, i can find how to use the eye and bring back
the guardian
so i can use the damn bonfire again.
You are in a very long and arduous journey until thing is useable.

IoCaster

Eh, idk since I haven't tried it but it's safe to say the game is meant to be played with lock-on (aside from a few bosses where it's easier to fight without it). I keep hearing people say things like they're missing swings with the mouse but you're really not meant to manual aim with melee weapons in this game, and some combat functions like ripostes you straight up can't do if you don't lock-on.

The problem is that the mouse control is fundamentally broken. It actually has reverse acceleration in that if you try to move it incrementally it's fast and twitchy. If you quickly sweep your mouse it decelerates and goes slower. It's the damnedest thing I've seen yet in a console port. How they managed to accomplish this I don't have the slightest idea. If I try to use lock-on it'll quickly cycle through every target in view with the merest touch. So I'll just have to do without some of the basic functionality and tough it out. *shrug*

If you want to see an example of how broken the KB/M support is. Click -->here

Smash88

Banned
I have a question from watching my friend play at his house.

He was frustrated he could only kick left right and back and the jump stab move thing only left right and back He could never kick infront.

Is this normal or is something wrong with his 360 controller?

I might have to pick this game up from watching him play, it looks really good in motion.

Damn you Durante.

I really hope it goes on sale, because my lust for this game has risen exponentially since watching it in motion.

Ketch

So I think I'm gonna buy this game after I finish darksiders.

Gonna go with shield and long spear... any tips for class or anything other helpful hints for a beginner?

never played a souls game before.

Sullichin

I have a question from watching my friend play at his house...

He was frustrated he could only kick left right and back and the jump stab move thing only left right and back He could never kick infront.

Is this normal or is something wrong with his 360 controller?

I might have to pick this game up from watching him play, it looks really good in motion. Damn you Durante.

Curved swords replace the kick animation with a swipe/backflip, maybe that's it - would be the case if you start as a wanderer

There's nothing here but a pretty little dress. :(

You gotta
go to duke's archives first. there's a new crystal golem after the first elevator that drops an item, once you have that, go back to where Dusk's armor spawns.

Smash88

Banned
Curved swords replace the kick animation with a swipe/backflip, maybe that's it - would be the case if you start as a wanderer

He started as a warrior, and he was in some tunnel right before the boss which gave him a tutorial on how to do those moves. Oh well, I have no idea.

Hopefully it works for me.

First successful attempt at organized coop on the PC. Bit of a pain at first because I kept laying down a new sign before he could get to it due to how long it takes the game to update. Instead, leaving my sign down and having him lay down his and remove it to refresh the souls worked much better.

Gonna go with shield and long spear... any tips for class or anything other helpful hints for a beginner?

walk slow, shield up. 99% of the times.

listen to your environment helps

TheExodu5

Banned
First successful attempt at organized coop on the PC. Bit of a pain at first because I kept laying down a new sign before he could get to it due to how long it takes the game to update. Instead, leaving my sign down and having him lay down his and remove it to refresh the souls worked much better.

You were both laying down signs? Doesn't that mean you were both hollow?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
You were both laying down signs? Doesn't that mean you were both hollow?

You can lay down signs in human form. If you're invaded your sign disappears and your White Sign Soapstone is disabled until the invader is dead.

You can actually use that as an early warning system for invaders if you want. If you don't have co-op allies and your soapstone suddenly grays out you're about to be invaded. It gets disabled well before the invader actually appears.

Grief.exe

Hung over and I just wrecked Smaugh first and Ornstein second. Smooth run.

I could get Smaugh down, and Ornstein to 50% by myself so I knew Hungover would push it over the top.

We had trouble initially until I put down my summon sign, saw his, cancelled mine, then accepted his summon.
Don't ask me why that works, but it does.

I have full Ornstein's Armor now, which puts my equip weight just barely over 50%. Next level I'll pump endurance and fix that.

Shawsie64

Banned

Use your shield, time your attacks and don't get cocky.. Even an enemy you've killed hundreds of times will quickly savage you if you give it the chance.

Razek

Banned
So I decided to read the online section of the wiki since that seems free of spoilers. There is some really cool stuff in there. I was going to ask in here why the bells randomly rang sometimes in the Parish.

Zeliard

level 25 in Anor Londo. I'm being stingy about leveling because of the Dark Wraith invading conditions. :p

I think it's generally more enjoyable not leveling much anyway. I basically just level stats up enough to use certain gear I like.

One thing I typically don't touch is Vitality since I haven't PvP'd much, and in PvE I find it a fun challenge to try to avoid hits.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
So there's no new
- miracles
in the DLC? That's disappointing for my build.

Seems that way. Some of the new stuff is kind of odd, really. This is all equipment-related stuff, but I'm going to spoiler tag it anyway.
They nerfed the non-scaling generic upgrade paths, but then they added what looks like it might well be the single best non-scaling weapon in the game. They nerfed the Hornet Ring to presumably reduce the prevalence of backstab fishing in PvP, then they added a weapon that exists almost purely to backstab. The new catalyst essentially combines two other catalysts of marginal utility into a single item, making it an item of marginal utility that further marginalizes the items it combines.

My current character is pretty much totally ill-suited to use any of the new stuff outside of the spells, so I'm probably going to need to try out a few new builds before I have much of a feeling for how good most of it is. My initial impression of a lot of the new stuff just based on the stats is sort of mild bafflement, to be honest.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's generally more enjoyable not leveling much anyway. I basically just level stats up enough to use certain gear I like.

One thing I typically don't touch is Vitality since I haven't PvP'd much, and in PvE I find it a fun challenge to try to avoid hits.
Yup, nearing the end of game now and I'm still SL30, just have the last bit of the DLC and duke's archives left. Also number 2 ranked darkwraith in terms of indictions on my server right now at 40 indictions. Was at 1 yesterday but some guy must've pvp'd all day and got like 20 indictions since then :<

edit - nvm just dropped to rank 3 lol

Sullichin

Tying something to a boss you have to kill was a pretty bad idea.

You can still stay in the covenant, just can't level up until next NG - not a big deal.

The last (besides
the dragon
) boss in the DLC is hard as hell. I read here there's
an item i can get that will help against his magic attacks, but you need a light source.. I don't have any, and my INT's not good enough to use cast light. I can't seem to avoid that one dark magic attack though.

How does kicking work? I know this is stupid for me to ask since I think it works the same way as Demon's Souls but I never figured out how kicking worked there either...

I keep kicking when I want to attack instead and it's REALLY annoying.

He started as a warrior, and he was in some tunnel right before the boss which gave him a tutorial on how to do those moves. Oh well, I have no idea.

Hopefully it works for me.

The specific animation you get is related to the weapon. Clubs for example dont let you kick. You do a jumping knock back attack instead.

Hypron

How does kicking work? I know this is stupid for me to ask since I think it works the same way as Demon's Souls but I never figured out how kicking worked there either...

I keep kicking when I want to attack instead and it's REALLY annoying.

Kicking works by pressing forward + light attack at the same time. In general when you just want to attack it's best to let go of the left stick before hitting.

Sarcasm

My 100% death cause is control failure. They suck major monkey butt..like when your jumping lol. Well my other one death is from stupidity.
I got to a boss with only 2 flasks left (how do I get more) and I activated the boss without taking out the archers on top (who freakin damaged me more than half my HP right when I got off the ladder. I had to go so I only lost 1K souls. I am lvl 7 and I spent 3 of them to get to 12 dex (for bow) than rest in END. I am a pyromancer..any tips? Kinda sucks I get down to 2 flasks at boss. Managed to kill a sparkly gecko lizard thing though.

Raxus

My 100% death cause is control failure. They suck major monkey butt..like when your jumping lol. Well my other one death is from stupidity.
I got to a boss with only 2 flasks left (how do I get more) and I activated the boss without taking out the archers on top (who freakin damaged me more than half my HP right when I got off the ladder. I had to go so I only lost 1K souls. I am lvl 7 and I spent 3 of them to get to 12 dex (for bow) than rest in END. I am a pyromancer..any tips? Kinda sucks I get down to 2 flasks at boss. Managed to kill a sparkly gecko lizard thing though.

Once you get the rite to kindling in the skeleton area you can get more flasks.

Once you enter the area for the boss go up the tower and kill the archers. Run to summon the boss, do a 180 and go up the ladder. Do an impale attack get a few more blows in and keep your distance. Switch to your pyro spells and toss a few fireballs when it is safe. When you get a chance run past the beast and go up the ladder again for another impale. He should die in no time.

Sarcasm

Once you get the rite to kindling in the skeleton area you can get more flasks.

Once you enter the area for the boss go up the tower and kill the archers. Run to summon the boss, do a 180 and go up the ladder. Do an impale attack get a few more blows in and keep your distance. Switch to your pyro spells and toss a few fireballs when it is safe. When you get a chance run past the beast and go up the ladder again for another impale. He should die in no time.

Thanks! What does kindling cost? Is it perma at the bonfire?

Shinjica

level 25 in Anor Londo. I'm being stingy about leveling because of the Dark Wraith invading conditions. :p

I consider the possibility of not invade other people when you are low level a bad idea. i'm having so much fun invading people with low-medium gear. It had more challenge to the fight.

And yesterday i kill 3 guys AFK, one told me he vas alt-tab so keep attention when you do this.

JVIDICAN

I consider the possibility of not invade other people when you are low level a bad idea. i'm having so much fun invading people with low-medium gear. It had more challenge to the fight.

And yesterday i kill 3 guys AFK, one told me he vas alt-tab so keep attention when you do this.

Little jumbled there (or maybe I am?). lol
I'm not leveling because I'm planning to join the dark wraith covenant. Invading conditions for the covenant are 10% bellow your current level, and there's no upper level limit. So keeping a lower level means more opportunity for pvp. :D

Tying something to a boss you have to kill was a pretty bad idea.
Honestly, that's probably the least of its problems. Between having to use it in an area where you haven't beaten a boss (despite the fact that it can infect the worlds of others who have beaten the boss in that zone,) the limited number of people who can see it, the connectivity issues with the game in general, the covenant being hidden away and none of the rules being explained in game at all, it's an incredible concept with incredibly poor execution.

If they make a sequel to Dark Souls I hope that they kept this covenant in but make it more apparent where to find it, what it does, and improve upon who it can affect. I'd love to see Black Phantom enemies become a more common thing.

Ridley327

The lake hydra at long range: OH GOD, IT'S RAPING ME FROM HUNDREDS OF FEET AWAY

The lake hydra at close range: ...is that all you can do?

I actually felt really bad for it.

Top Bottom