• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
im absolutly okay with that, but i was confused :D. dudes rolling in medium armor looked weird anyway und were an immersion killer imo.
On the bright side the 25>50 roll got buffed and it's viable enough that you don't really need the ring anyways.

derwalde

one more question: im using the ROFP. am i righ that stamina hardcaps at 40 so that i should go for 33 (or 34?) endurance when using the ring?

Zzoram

Well, I mean, he certainly tagged me enough times for me to hate him, but you would think that a monster of such size and renown would put up more of a fight when you're close to it, especially with all those heads.

The hardest part of the Hydra fight is not getting too close and drowning in deep water.

Zzoram

Any difference between the 360 and the ps3 pad for this game?

IMO the PS3 controller is better because of the DPad. Sometimes when I'm swapping items on the 360 pad, the stupid ass one-button DPad swaps out my weapon because the DPad will register a press on the side button too. This is horrible if you're doing it during a fight.

Shinjica

IMO the PS3 controller is better because of the DPAD. Sometimes when I'm swapping items on the 360 pad, the stupid ass bumper swaps out my weapon because the DPAD will register a press on the side button too. This is horrible if you're doing it during a fight.

Yeah, i cant count how many times i died because i switch the shield for a bow.

DSix

Banned
I cracked and bought it anyway for my so-so PC. And it does runs quite good on my HD 5750. If I augment the resolution theres some jittering there and there, but appart from that I have no difficulties running it at 30fps.

Optimization is not the issue here.

Aguirre

before i buy, can anyone tell me how it runs using a 7850 coupled with an amd phenom ii x4?

or even just the 7850. dont want to end up buying it then having a game that runs on par or worse than the ps3 equivalent.

many thanks in advance.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
before i buy, can anyone tell me how it runs using a 7850 coupled with an amd phenom ii x4?

or even just the 7850. dont want to end up buying it then having a game that runs on par or worse than the ps3 equivalent.

many thanks in advance.

i have the phenom 2 quad core and a radeon 6800 game runs flawlessly

2AdEPT

Just hit that too. Not surviving long against them atm.

okay here is my story.

first try: summoned a guy. we did it on the first try. shortly before the bonfire we are getting invaded. he fucking stunlocks us both with some sick spellcast. i die next to the bonfire.

i thought, okay, do this shit alone. 10+ tries later i got lucky and did it. i run to the bonfire, BUT I FUCKING DIDNT KINDLE IT. 10mins later i die. as soon as i see my char standing at the first anor londo bonfire i scream and shout und go nuts.

10+ tries later: im getting more and more angry, i die on the way to the archers, die here, die there -> rage quit.

before this point i died exactly 6 times....i call it a day.

no rage cheese revenge:
long bow and poison arrows....just stand on the wall furthest from them...their arrows hit dirt steps in front of you while you can shoot high and still get them...2-3 hits in a row with poison and relax and wait for death! Dragonslayer GB aslo works.

loving this game so much right now! Can't wait to get my Skywalker build into the new area!!! Only placing the lordvessel then ready to go...just switched from early game sorcerer to power faith in painted world.....90K souls acquired fast while getting reprisals for DARKMOON....BLUE LIGHT SABRE BABY!!!! ( on my BBS and washing pole.) Still have 2 gargoyle halberds...not sure what to do with them?!?!!?? lightning chaos??? more +15?

Defuser

ixix, whats the best route for upgrading weapons? Elemental? Upgraded black knight weapons? Boss weapons? Its been quite a while since I beat the game multiple times on PS3. Not sure what they change for PC.

whats the best first bonfire to kindle a bunch?

Also, can you warp between bonfires? I only have 2 unlocked right now and there is no warp option.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

Also, can you warp between bonfires? I only have 2 unlocked right now and there is no warp option.

you can warp after you beat smough and orinstein and as far as bonfires go you can kindle all the ones before boss fights if you want

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I see a few post saying that certain items got nerfed or changed.

Does anyone have a link to a list of these changes annd what items were effected??

Zzoram

You can't warp until a while after ringing the 2 bells.

Kindle every bonfire in order, humanity is common enough to pull it off.

Haunted

Well, I mean, he certainly tagged me enough times for me to hate him, but you would think that a monster of such size and renown would put up more of a fight when you're close to it, especially with all those heads.
The most dangerous part of the Hydra fight is not falling into the invisible hole surrounding it.

Bedlam

I see a few post saying that certain items got nerfed or changed.

Does anyone have a link to a list of these changes annd what items were effected??

Someone posted this list earlier in the thread. Don't know if it's still up to date.

DWGR nerfed to below 25% equip load (CONFIRMED)
BB transfer and dragon head glitch fixed (CONFIRMED)
Claymore and all other greatswords had their speed nerfed (CONFIRMED)
New warp locations, such as Undead Parish, the Depths, Tomb of the Giants and more (CONFIRMED)
Elite Knight Set fixed. Now the poise is back to 46 making it useful again (CONFIRMED)
Hornet Ring nerfed. Damage is now 30%, not 50% (CONFIRMED)
Some item changes on corpses ex. 3 humanities on the corpse at the well in Firelink Shire (CONFIRMED)
Eagle Shield physical damage reduction down to 95% from 100% making it useless (CONFIRMED)
Mid-Rolls buffed (CONFIRMED)
Elemenatal weapons slightly nerfed (CONFIRMED)
Mask of the Father nerfed. Now adds 5% equip load (CONFIRMED)
Mask of the Mother nerfed. Now adds 10% HP (CONFIRMED)
Hyper Armor for STR weapons returned (CONFIRMED)

Haunted

So many nerfs. New warp locations make up for anything, though.

I think my biggest problem with the game is how opaque the upgrade system is. Experimentation is punished harshly what with the limited materials and all, you're much better off reading and comparing stats on the wiki before deciding on your weapon path.

Still haven't decided what kind of style I want to go with this time around. I kinda want to ditch magic and pyromancy altogether, which was my crutch to fall back on when melee didn't work out.

Also, I watched a stream of this and the guy playing got a Black Knight Sword drop from the very first black knight in the game, in the Undead Burg where you get the Blue Tearstone Ring. Ridiculously good weapon this early on, although I think it has some tough STR requirements.

The most dangerous part of the Hydra fight is not falling into the invisible hole surrounding it.

If you grab the armour set before you've beaten the Hydra, you deserve all those deaths :p What else are you gonna use as an easy visual marker for where it's safe to be?

Sarcasm

For the PS3 (I use a wired xbox cause I was tired of having to reboot in a like different option windows - I think the no cert driver one) do I still need to boot into that no certified driver selection?

Got to Anor Londo last night and my god does it look amazing in high res. This game constantly reminds me of its superiority. Can't wait for my next session. Feels like the first time I experienced it.

Sarcasm

I have another question. I have a 1H axe I am currently using. Pretty fast but 3 hits for the non armor guys in undead. I found this battle axe, which under req per it states that I need 12 in STR and 8 in DEX - which I have 12 in both.

So why does it look like its slightly bit heavy for my toon (even if 2h'd) and eats a lot of end for heavy hit & reg. When 1H'd and I hvy hit a non armor it one shots (1 hvy and 1 reg for armored dudes). The end after doign 1 hvy and 1 reg leaves me not enough to even roll.

Why is this?

Orayn

I have another question. I have a 1H axe I am currently using. Pretty fast but 3 hits for the non armor guys in undead. I found this battle axe, which under req per it states that I need 12 in STR and 8 in DEX - which I have 12 in both.

So why does it look like its slightly bit heavy for my toon (even if 2h'd) and eats a lot of end for heavy hit & reg. When 1H'd and I hvy hit a non armor it one shots (1 hvy and 1 reg for armored dudes). The end after doign 1 hvy and 1 reg leaves me not enough to even roll.

Why is this?

The animations and stamina usage for each weapon are the same, even if you meet the stat requirements. The halberd, for examle, has a tiny bit of stumbling that you can't avoid. Best advice is just to experiment with a lot of weapons until you find one whose animations you really like.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Someone posted this list earlier in the thread. Don't know if it's still up to date.

DWGR nerfed to below 25% equip load (CONFIRMED)
BB transfer and dragon head glitch fixed (CONFIRMED)
Claymore and all other greatswords had their speed nerfed (CONFIRMED)
New warp locations, such as Undead Parish, the Depths, Tomb of the Giants and more (CONFIRMED)
Elite Knight Set fixed. Now the poise is back to 46 making it useful again (CONFIRMED)
Hornet Ring nerfed. Damage is now 30%, not 50% (CONFIRMED)
Some item changes on corpses ex. 3 humanities on the corpse at the well in Firelink Shire (CONFIRMED)
Eagle Shield physical damage reduction down to 95% from 100% making it useless (CONFIRMED)
Mid-Rolls buffed (CONFIRMED)
Elemenatal weapons slightly nerfed (CONFIRMED)
Mask of the Father nerfed. Now adds 5% equip load (CONFIRMED)
Mask of the Mother nerfed. Now adds 10% HP (CONFIRMED)
Hyper Armor for STR weapons returned (CONFIRMED)

ah thanks. info should be added to the op. I don't even think this info is on the wiki's yet.
I thought my great swords were swinging a little slower.
Shame about the Eagle Shield as well.

Sullichin

Anyone else having trouble finding matches in the PVP arena?

It's pretty awesome, but it takes forever to find a match. So nice to see other players mid-rolling again.

FtHTiny

It's pretty awesome, but it takes forever to find a match. So nice to see other players mid-rolling again.

yes and i think it´s also trying to match the soullevels which makes it so hard to find matches.

Sarcasm

Okay killed the dude on first try...I went from SL 7 to 14. I did all in END with one in VIT. What other stats I need to worry about? Pyro but I been using mainly melee and bow. Fire when I need it.

I have 12 in STR and DEX.

Sullichin

HELL YEAH MOTHERFUCKER I FINALLY GOT KALAMEET'S TAIL OFF

I'm guessing he shows back up again
in the forest? I beat Manus and I haven't seen him since the first appearance. His weapon seems like it could be pretty good.. a good non scaling STR weapon - I like

so as a cleric, when can you get the lightning attacks? Is it early and "convenient"*?
The lightning spear miracle? You just need to join the sunlight covenant -
altar on the dragon side of the dragon bridge in the parish. You need either 25 faith or help a few people in co-op to be able to join

For those who have played the new content, any one else getting shit performance in
chasm of the abyss?
. Maybe since i'm on AMD and I need to pump up my AA just so my card runs at the right clockspeeds... not enough stuff to smooth here? Idk. Other than that, the new areas have had the best performance, solid 30.

Quikies83

I spent nearly 30 minutes sitting on the trapdoors for 1v1 and 2v2 -- not a single game started :(
I was crazy excited to get to this area after spending nearly 3 hours battling with Knight Astorias (my god, this was a fucking awesome battle). So far both bosses I've faced in the new content have been amazing.

Anyone know if you can get Knight Astorias armor? I want it.

Sullichin

I spent nearly 30 minutes sitting on the trapdoors for 1v1 and 2v2 -- not a single game started :(
I was crazy excited to get to this area after spending nearly 3 hours battling with Knight Astorias (my god, this was a fucking awesome battle). So far both bosses I've faced in the new content have been amazing.

Anyone know if you can get Knight Astorias armor? I want it.

Yeah, you can
buy it from Domhall in firelink
. It looks cool but I don't like how scrawny it makes my character look. It's also one of those helmets that looks absolutely ridiculous without the rest of its set.

I wish Ooacile township was longer.

Quikies83

Yeah, you can
buy it from Domhall in firelink
. It looks cool but I don't like how scrawny it makes my character look. It's also one of those helmets that looks absolutely ridiculous without the rest of its set.

I wish Ooacile township was longer.
Very nice! Thanks

Any idea what the
carving items
are for? Should I keep these?

I ran around the township for a bit before logging off last night. I like the design of it and the new enemies (ones I've seen) are meh. I made it across a few bridges and eventually down to a dark room with about 8 or 9 of those wizards and monkey guys -- they took my life.

Very nice! Thanks

Any idea what the
carving items
are for? Should I keep these?

I ran around the township for a bit before logging off last night. I like the design of it and the new enemies (ones I've seen) are meh. I made it across a few bridges and eventually down to a dark room with about 8 or 9 of those wizards and monkey guys -- they took my life.

Those are for a crude way of communication. You throw them on the ground and a spooky voice (Gough, I think) says something. You can use them as often as you want but they take up an item slot.

Top Bottom