• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Zaptruder

Banned
The lake hydra at long range: OH GOD, IT'S RAPING ME FROM HUNDREDS OF FEET AWAY

The lake hydra at close range: ...is that all you can do?

I actually felt really bad for it.

You shouldn't. It's a super-dick from a far, so you should just laugh, cut of its heads and spit on its corpse.

ArynCrinn

Banned
The Eagle Shield change is huge, so is the DWGR. This will drastically change my strategies on NG+, not sure I like the Eagle Shield change... Would have been nice to get back the 100% Damage Reduction with a +15 upgrade.

But anybody else amazed at how un-glitchy and unbroken the PC version is compared to consoles. Only glitch I've encountered so far was when I was being parried by a skeleton in Firelink, I glitched through the bottom of the map falling to my death.

Edit: Splash screens needs to be modded, badly. The Namco/Havok/From logo's were bad enough to sit through while booting the game on PS3, now I have to endure them every time I quit. Quitting/reloading is a painful experience, somebody fix this please! Only other thing I'd like to see is different button icons for a PS3 controller, aside from a bunch of other cool mods.

FtHTiny

Little jumbled there (or maybe I am?). lol
I'm not leveling because I'm planning to join the dark wraith covenant. Invading conditions for the covenant are 10% bellow your current level, and there's no upper level limit. So keeping a lower level means more opportunity for pvp. :D

yeah i should have done it like that to but i kinda wanted to rush the new content and didn´t think about pvp. Had to go new game+ to join them and sitting at a way to high lvl right now for the overall players i guess.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Haha! Die
Ornstein and Smough!

That fight took me 20 minutes!
The first phase took 15 of those. It was a pain to get them separated so I could actually hit one of them.

Ridley327

You shouldn't. It's a super-dick from a far, so you should just laugh, cut of its heads and spit on its corpse.

Well, I mean, he certainly tagged me enough times for me to hate him, but you would think that a monster of such size and renown would put up more of a fight when you're close to it, especially with all those heads.

Grief.exe

I'm really loving this game guys.

I just started and I have already learned so much and I am getting better, but the depth of this game just blows my mind I know there is so much more for me to learn.

Just got the lordvessel.

Haha! Die
Ornstein and Smough!

That fight took me 20 minutes!
The first phase took 15 of those. It was a pain to get them separated so I could actually hit one of them.

Fight is tough, I just beat it tonight, I killed
Ornstein
last and got his armor now. Shout out to Hungoveronatues for helping out.

Jeramii

Banned
here is a random screenshot i took that i think is kinda cool. i am using the graphics mod by durante. i have everything turned up pretty high.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541810680984873821/703BD2D21C4003DC95F7C962D4FB535C5082B754/

sorry the hud is on, didn't disable it because i was about to enter combat. the hud in this game is so massive it's disgusting. i want it there, but 1/4 this size.

(also, i didn't embed it into the page because of possible spoilers)

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Is it the building with
all the mobs and witch things on the ground floor?
I thought I had explored that place pretty well, hmm

I think so, yeah. It's
the building that's straight to your left when you take the shortcut elevator at the beginning of Oolacile Township down. There are three of the melee guys right inside the door and a witch enemy on a wooden balcony right above your head when you enter. The place I'm thinking of is up the stairs on the ground floor. Not the stairs you came down on when your first entered the area that are exposed to the main chamber, the stairs through a small doorway. If you keep ascending you'll eventually find a place with a collapsed floor and a single melee enemy. Facing the collapsed part of the floor you'll see a small plank still intact attached to the left wall. This is what you need to jump to. Once you make the jump you need to walk across a sort of treacherous section until you reach solid ground again, where there's a corpse with an item on it. I'm pretty sure this is the Black Flame spell. If it's not, it's the Dark Bead spell, and I've forgotten where the Black Flame is. If it's not there it might actually be in the room you fall into if you miss the jump, where there are a bunch of melee enemies and a corpse or two around the walls. If it's not there either then I've just plum forgotten.

I just realized this was wrong. The
Black Flame
is actually in
the Chasm of the Abyss, along the shortcut to the boss door from the garden. Go down the elevator to the chasm near Marvelous Chester and where you fought Artorias then take the upward path marked by a Prism Stone. It's on the little ledge you drop down from to get to the bridge that leads you to the boss area.

I really was remembering one of the new sorceries. Sorry about that.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized this was wrong. The
Black Flame
is actually in
the Chasm of the Abyss, along the shortcut to the boss door from the garden. Go down the elevator to the chasm near Marvelous Chester and where you fought Artorias then take the upward path marked by a Prism Stone. It's on the little ledge you drop down from to get to the bridge that leads you to the boss area.

I really was remembering one of the new sorceries. Sorry about that.
Yeah I found it, no problem.

Also it seems really broken for pvp, guard breaks really well. I used two hits of it on a guy with a greatshield and it broke his guard.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Wow.

Buy a book of the guilty and check the darkwraith rankings. 5 out of the top 10 are cheating and have impossible stats. One guy is SL1 with nearly 99 in every stat.

PVP is going to hell soon if From doesn't fix this / MS starts issuing bans

Jeramii

Banned
Wow.

Buy a book of the guilty and check the darkwraith rankings. 5 out of the top 10 are cheating and have impossible stats. One guy is SL1 with nearly 99 in every stat.

My friend got invaded today. He said the attack made against him was 65430. Is such a thing even possible when he's only level 13? Probably not. I'll never understand cheating, especially in a game like this.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Look at this garbage

ZfuD

This guy thinks he's clever by keeping his vitality within reasonable range

FtHTiny

Wow.

I already invaded 2 guys that didn´t take damage from anything.
I can understand why you would play through the game once maybe. But new game+ aswell, why.

Also it´s funny how many are running around with the knight artorias set.

FtHTiny

When you get to NG+ and higher are you automatically set to be invaded? Can you play without being invaded?

You can play offline, or stay hollow all the time. As hollow you can´t be invaded.

NG+ doesn´t have an effect on it. Only your soullevel is what matters.
The higher you get the more you set yourself up to be invaded from lower levels and higher ones.

Just got through Bell Gargoyles. They were ridiculously easy. :/ I had a harder time with Taurus or that faceless demon.

If you don't want to be invaded but want to be in Human form, you can just login on GFWL then turn off/on your network adapter so it doesn't login again.

Zeliard

You need the key from
the Gaping Dragon

That's what I figured. I'm mainly just trying to get there to snag a Pyromancer Flame. Never used Pyro or any other magic but I'll give Pyro a shot this time around. It's attractive since it isn't stat-dependent.

I'm basically going through the game backwards. :p Went immediately to Blighttown when I started the game, killed
Queelag
and
Ceaseless
(the legit way). I want to do everything that can be done before ringing the first bell.

Ken

Just got through Bell Gargoyles. They were ridiculously easy. :/ I had a harder time with Taurus or that faceless demon.

If you don't want to be invaded but want to be in Human form, you can just login on GFWL then turn off/on your network adapter so it doesn't login again.

But they were always easy.

Sarcasm

How do you play offline when you still want to be connected? What is the max (or min) soul level when you become invade able? Being human has benefits right? I don't care for the pvp in this game so ways to avoid would be nice.

FtHTiny

How do you play offline when you still want to be connected? What is the max (or min) soul level when you become invade able? Being human has benefits right? I don't care for the pvp in this game so ways to avoid would be nice.

Well if you are in human form you can summon other players or npc phantoms to help you for certain bosses.

And in theory you can be invaded at level 1 if there is a darkwraith player out there that is level 1 himself. The higher level you get the higher is the chance to be invaded because it´s more likely that there are players in your lvl-range as darkwraith. But a normal person is around lvl 30 when he becomes a darkwraith i would say.

Sarcasm

Well if you are in human form you can summon other players or npc phantoms to help you for certain bosses.

And in theory you can be invaded at level 1 if there is a darkwraith player out there that is level 1 himself. The higher level you get the higher is the chance to be invaded because it´s more likely that there are players in your lvl-range as darkwraith. But a normal person is around lvl 30 when he becomes a darkwraith i would say.

That is the only bonus to being human? Than I guess hollow forever hehe.

Raxus

You will always be vulnerable for PVP. Leveling just makes you a little more susceptible thanks to a certain covenant. That isn't to say you will always be invaded it is a rare occurrence and most PvP takes place in particular areas, to be obtuse a forest and a bridge are the big contenders. This is thanks to the limits on invasion early on and the unlimited invasion stone showing up around halfway into the game.

Being human has minor benefits to your resistances and other things, bigger DS fanatics should shed light on this. The biggest thing humanity offers is being able to summon 1-2 allies to fight along side you allowing you to go through tough levels and defeating tough bosses. Not to mention an ally can help defend you against invaders!

FtHTiny

That is the only bonus to being human? Than I guess hollow forever hehe.

Well you can´t ever kindle a bonfire without going human for example. Also the resistance stats are higher as human. (curse, fire). But staying hollow isn´t a big disadvantage.

Seems that way. Some of the new stuff is kind of odd, really. This is all equipment-related stuff, but I'm going to spoiler tag it anyway.
They nerfed the non-scaling generic upgrade paths, but then they added what looks like it might well be the single best non-scaling weapon in the game. They nerfed the Hornet Ring to presumably reduce the prevalence of backstab fishing in PvP, then they added a weapon that exists almost purely to backstab. The new catalyst essentially combines two other catalysts of marginal utility into a single item, making it an item of marginal utility that further marginalizes the items it combines.

My current character is pretty much totally ill-suited to use any of the new stuff outside of the spells, so I'm probably going to need to try out a few new builds before I have much of a feeling for how good most of it is. My initial impression of a lot of the new stuff just based on the stats is sort of mild bafflement, to be honest.

I'm curious, what
non scalng weapon
are you talking about? I haven't found any new weapons in the DLC yet. And the non scales don't seem all that nerfed, my lightning zwei still does obscene damage.

Mort

Banned
Oh man. Discussing the plot of Dark Souls. This takes me back.

So yeah. Kaathe is bad news. Nobody likes that jerk, whereas there are multiple independent characters who think Frampt is just ducky. He's telling you to basically turn yourself into a Yule log for the sake of the world, it's true, but nobody said being the savior of the world was going to be pleasant.

That Frampt is follows you in the Dark Lord ending implies that both of them were working together, playing both sides. Should you Link the Fire, they likely do the same with whichever deity is going to rule. Neither of them are "ducky."

Anastacia actually explicitly tells you that re-kindling the flame will stop the undead plague. Don't nobody make any such guarantees about letting it go out. Not even Kaathe.

And she got the information from Frampt who is a liar.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Any difference between the 360 and the ps3 pad for this game?
Personally I think actual buttons are much better than bumpers for this game. I bought a 360 wired controller just for DkS PC but ended up switching back to PS3 controller once I learned the game worked with motionjoy.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I see. Is the ps3 controller available in wired configuration? I don't like wireless stuff.
Yes, download motionjoy and follow the setup instructions on the site. Make sure to get the latest stable build, 6.50000 or something and not version 7

Peagles

Any tips on how to use the Game Save Manager program with Dark Souls? I went to make a back up and it's not even in the list.

Top Bottom