• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

so you can warp between bonfires instantly? doesn't that mean you only need to kindle/max one and then keep warping back to it to refill estus?

FtHTiny

so you can warp between bonfires instantly? doesn't that mean you only need to kindle/max one and then keep warping back to it to refill estus?

you can´t warp between every bonfire in the game, just some keypoints.
But you can kindle every bonfire to the max so you don´t have to warp around just for estus charges.

Grief.exe

I want the Balder Side Sword before ringing both bells :<

I ended up with about 4 somehow. The snake ring from sens helps, but honestly 3 dropped before I even had it.
Balder +10 is my main weapon. If you want one I can jump to your world and drop it if you like.

Back to reality today, gf is back from her trip and have classes today. Significantly reduced souls time.

Question. If I messed up killing
lautrec
will it let me invade his world again?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Very nice! Thanks

Any idea what the
carving items
are for? Should I keep these?

I ran around the township for a bit before logging off last night. I like the design of it and the new enemies (ones I've seen) are meh. I made it across a few bridges and eventually down to a dark room with about 8 or 9 of those wizards and monkey guys -- they took my life.

they are just a fun items i use the "im sorry!" one its pretty funny

Zeliard

I ended up with about 4 somehow. The snake ring from sens helps, but honestly 3 dropped before I even had it.
Balder +10 is my main weapon. If you want one I can jump to your world and drop it if you like.

Back to reality today, gf is back from her trip and have classes today. Significantly reduced souls time.

lautrec

I ended up killing the gargs so I'm just gonna go to Sen's anyway.

Funny thing about
Lautrec
, I rang the second bell first and later came back to Firelink
to discover the Fire Keeper already dead, without me ever having met Lautrec or killed the gargoyles yet. I guess it triggers automatically after whichever one of the bells is rung.

Quikies83

lautrec

Oh wow, I didn't know that you only had one shot at that. Good thing that the AI is dense and just happily took soul rays to the face instead of rolling out of the way.

Ok I misread. You can re-invade the world as much as it takes for you to kill him. What I meant is I just murder him while he's still in Firelink to avoid that whole battle altogether and keep the firekeeper alive.

FtHTiny

Oh wow, I didn't know that you only had one shot at that. Good thing that the AI is dense and just happily took soul rays to the face instead of rolling out of the way.

As far as i know you got infinite trys at invading him. Atleast back on the xbox i failed atleast once if i remember correctly.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
ive never let him kill her i always attack him right when he shows up to firelink do you still get his awesome ring when you invade and kill him?

Quikies83

Where do I go to attempt to reinvade? I was in andor londo the first time but I never saw the prompt again.

Go to the same place. In the huge lobby with the two giants - before O and S entrance. I don't remember if it gives you the prompt again or not but just drop the sign and you'll invade within a few seconds.

ive never let him kill her i always attack him right when he shows up to firelink do you still get his awesome ring when you invade and kill him?

This is what I do.

Best way to build up humanity? Helping people with coop. It's not the most efficient method but it is satisfying and this is the only game that I've played that inspires random players to send me positive messages. I also like communicating completely with gestures. It cracks me up sometimes and I don't ever have to know that the person I'm playing with could be a loud obnoxious teenage racist!

Zeliard

Yeah, plus his armor.

I think it's worth waiting. The ring is decent but the fight against him is good times. His ring's stamina regen is the most useful thing about it; equip burden is easily taken care of by Havel's, and that ring can actually be removed freely. For stamina you can also just use the Cloranthy ring.

Carcetti

I've played this a lot on PS3 and I've been, uh, naughty. Played a lot on darkwraith ganking people in Anor Londo, but now I want to make up for it. Does anyone have a good support/helper build to keep people alive and anti-gank? Maybe something with holy magic since I've never used it.

Serra

Where do I go to attempt to reinvade? I was in andor londo the first time but I never saw the prompt again.

Go to the main hallway before you fought Ornstein and Smough. Thats the place with the 2 Royal Sentinels or whatever and a single silver knight archer on the stairs to the side. Kill them, then use the black eye orb and you will invade Lautrec.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hey guys, this game is pretty good - and especially really good looking. Just wanted to get that out of the way.
I actually noticed the drop off right away and figured that it was bad news. Was that less obvious on the consoles versions?
Yes, it was blurry as fuck in the console version. You can't miss it in the PC-version though.

Grief.exe

I need to format my pc soon. were are the darksouls savegames stored? or are they in the cloud with GFWL?

My Documents > NBGI > Your XBL account name > Save files

I don't know whether just copy pasting will work, thats how I'm currently backing up my saves. Need to confirm whether this is viable.

web01

Just compared my PS3 and PC copy of the game and there is definitely something wrong.
On PS3 at level 35 Sens Fortress I was able to invade back to back for over an hour with no problems at all. On PC version I would be lucky to get 1 out of 10 attempts to work.

Even look at the way the soul symbols cycle its like the ps3 version was before the patch.

Cheeto

Stuck on Quelaag, the game has been pretty manageable so far, but now I feel kinda stuck. Are there any tips that I may be missing?

theta11

Anyone playing with a PS3 controller using MotionJoy? For some reason the L3/R3 buttons aren't mapping and I'm not getting any lock-on functionality. Anyone else experiencing this?

Stuck on Quelaag, the game has been pretty manageable so far, but now I feel kinda stuck. Are there any tips that I may be missing?

If you go as human you get invaded by a NPC Phantom, who you can summon later against her.

With Quelaag you have to block when she attacks with the sword, moving to the sides and hitting whenever she can't hit you with it. Go all out whenever the spider is the one attacking.

This is obviously much easier if you have someone tanking her, so you can hit her even when she's using the sword. All you have to do is back away whenever she's about to do that big AoE attack.

Bedlam

Just compared my PS3 and PC copy of the game and there is definitely something wrong.
On PS3 at level 35 Sens Fortress I was able to invade back to back for over an hour with no problems at all. On PC version I would be lucky to get 1 out of 10 attempts to work.
I was just thinking the same thing yesterday, except I played the 360 version before. On the PC version, I get WAY more "summoning failed" messages and so far I haven't been able to invade and no one invaded me despite me running around in human form a lot.

If you were lucky enough to get a Black Knight to drop his shield before you got there, use it. Other than that, anytime she prepping to do a big devastating attack she telegraphs it. Best to just get away from her. Use 2 handed attacks when you find an opening to expedite the fight.

Cheeto

If you go as human you get invaded by a NPC Phantom, who you can summon later against her.

With Quelaag you have to block when she attacks with the sword, moving to the sides and hitting whenever she can't hit you with it. Go all out whenever the spider is the one attacking.

This is obviously much easier if you have someone tanking her, so you can hit her even when she's using the sword. All you have to do is back away whenever she's about to do that big AoE attack.

Yeah I keep dying to that big AoE attack, I can't tell when its coming. I haven't done this summon thing yet. I'm currently at the bonfire closest to Q's domain, do I just go human there? Is that where I summon the other dude?

Quikies83

Yeah I keep dying to that big AoE attack, I can't tell when its coming. I haven't done this summon thing yet. I'm currently at the bonfire closest to Q's domain, do I just go human there? Is that where I summon the other dude?

Go human there but be prepared for a invasion shortly after -- I'd recommend running out and taking out that first bug to your right.. then waiting for the invasion message -- then run back to the bonfire area and battle Mildred there. After you beat her - her summon sign will appear right before the boss fog to Queelag

RaffAO

I must have played several hundred hours of this game now and the butress archers never get easier.

Yeah yeah, force them into melee. Doesn't work 9 times out of 10. normally I resort to getting suicidal phantoms in but no chance of that with the summon failure rate here.

Fistwell

Yeah, turn human there. Then, as you make your way towards her lair, some crazy b*tch will spawn and attack you. Repel the invader, then find her summon mark right before the boss area.

Edit: yeah like he said. I'm slooooowwww.

2real4tv

Yes go human there, I summoned alot of coop players in that area. The Maneater sign will be just outside Quelaag entrance.

GJS

Is there any known downside to killing Ciaran and Marvellous Chester? Also are their armour sets upgradable?

The AE tell is her laying flat on top of her spider body.

The others tell you about the summon.

As for the AoE attack, she lowers the entire spider body and the head right before doing it. Whenever you see she's not hitting the summon with the sword, and is taking a bit long to shoot lava, back away a bit, just in case.

If you don't have the Black Knight Shield the Spider Shield has some fire resistance, IIRC, so I'd recommend that.

Serra

Just strafe to the side, in and out whenever she swings, her attacks will miss, very low range. If she does the spear attack, roll out of it. When the spider breathes lava, run to its side and hit it with everything you got. Watch out for her AoE attack though, although she telegraphes it. Whenever Quelaag goes limp on the spider (not upright), dodge away.

If you're gutsy with Quelaag, you can run into the spider as she's swinging her flaming sword for some quick hits. The sword will just miss you on the first two strikes but the third one will hit you if you stick around.

Also, just before she does the AoE attack the lady portion will slump down on top of the spider's head. So when you're attacking, turn off the lock-on and tilt the camera up so you can see if she's slumpin' or not!

Another tip, if you've got high enough Poise you can easily get out of lava without getting staggered.

So in my desperate quest go get my brother to play this game, I spent all Sunday walking him through all the systems in the game and how everything work, well as much as I know as I have only played the game for 2 days, anyway, by the time he got the Taurus Demon he was hooked.

Afterwards I just saw him play and he managed to find the Capra Demon, which he surprisingly killed rather easily, he is completely addicted now, watching him play was such a treat.

Cant wait to get back to my PC so I can continue with my quest, im currently stuck in the undead parish, im too afraid to go inside the castle with the 2 knights in the entrance. I can see there is a bigger knight in the throne, so im kind of trying to beat the Dragon in the bridge instead, but im having no luck, any tips?

Serra

Cant wait to get back to my PC so I can continue with my quest, im currently stuck in the undead parish, im too afraid to go inside the castle with the 2 knights in the entrance. I can see there is a bigger knight in the throne, so im kind of trying to beat the Dragon in the bridge instead, but im having no luck, any tips?

Go back to the Parish.

Top Bottom