• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Ridley327

Cant wait to get back to my PC so I can continue with my quest, im currently stuck in the undead parish, im too afraid to go inside the castle with the 2 knights in the entrance. I can see there is a bigger knight in the throne, so im kind of trying to beat the Dragon in the bridge instead, but im having no luck, any tips?

Should I tell him? :D

Soulhouf

Look at this garbage

This guy thinks he's clever by keeping his vitality within reasonable range

I don't understand how the game does not detect these garbages.
It's a simple equation for babies that they can implement to verify if the stats are legit compared to the character's level.
Seriously...

Igo

Anyone know why my Falchion+5 has disappeared from the reinforce menu? I was trying to upgrade it to +10 at the giant blacksmith but after I hit +5 it just vanished.

I don't understand how the game does not detect these garbages.
It's a simple equation for babies that they can implement to verify if the stats are legit compared to the character's level.
Seriously...

Yup, I will never understand it. As long as the person being invaded is host, there really shouldn't be an easy way for invaders to enter the game with stats that don't line up with their level.

Grief.exe

What sword should I get next.

Currently have a +10 Balder Side Sword.

Thinking about going For Quelag's Sword.

I have 16 str, 15 dex.

Another newbie question, how come the black knights are so freaking Over powered, I found 2 far, 1 below in the Undead Burg and another in a tower as soon as I enter Parish.

For example, I can use my shield against a boss like the Capra Demon and defeat him, but this knights just one shot kill me even with my shield drawn.

Are they like limiters telling you that you shouldnt be visiting those areas yet?

They are just tough mini-bosses. You can kill them if you are skilled enough. Or come back later when you have higher endurance.

Havel is in that area, and hes a fun one to try to do when you are low level. What helps is taking off all your gear so you have a low carry weight and hit a higher movement speed breakpoint.

Another newbie question, how come the black knights are so freaking Over powered, I found 2 far, 1 below in the Undead Burg and another in a tower as soon as I enter Parish.

For example, I can use my shield against a boss like the Capra Demon and defeat him, but this knights just one shot kill me even with my shield drawn.

Are they like limiters telling you that you shouldnt be visiting those areas yet?

Ridley327

Speaking of reinforcement, my trusty Claymore is at +5 and it's ready for ascension into a Divine Claymore. Is that a weapon worth investing into? I noticed that the raw damage output drops when it switches development lines, but I figure since it's starting over again, that it will be back to full strength in no time. Thoughts?

They really aren't blocking any area. They're just tougher enemies that you are meant to either kill later when you have leveled up, or kill them now and have a chance of getting much better weapons.

Parrying helps a lot.

Ridley327

They really aren't blocking any area. They're just tougher enemies that you are meant to either kill later when you have leveled up, or kill them now and have a chance of getting much better weapons.

Parrying helps a lot.

And when in doubt, roll; they have fairly simple attack movements. The tricky part with a lot of them has more to do with the fact that they're often guarding tight areas like hallways, so luring them out into larger areas is highly advisable.

I used to be one of those guys who crapped their pants as soon as they went down the wrong hallway and double backed as quick as I can, but now that I know how they operate, they're not quite the same threat that they used to be.

GJS

Which direction are you supposed to dodge when Artorias does the sliding horizontal spin attack. It's the only attack of his which I can't manage to dodge and it messes everything up

Serra

And when in doubt, roll; they have fairly simple attack movements. The tricky part with a lot of them has more to do with the fact that they're often guarding tight areas like hallways, so luring them out into larger areas is highly advisable.

Yeah, with a bit of practice they are very easy. Just strafe as close to their shield as possible (and to their back) and most of their attacks miss and you get easy backstabs.

I used to be one of those guys who crapped their pants as soon as they went down the wrong hallway and double backed as quick as I can, but now that I know how they operate, they're not quite the same threat that they used to be.

I actually almost killed the knight that lies in the basement of the tower right before The Taurus Demon, I lured him out to the top level of the tower and started dropping from the stairs to fall on top on him, I managed to do it like 4 times with the Drake Sword but he finally got me.

I guess I will try again or just keep on ahead at the temple in the parish.

Zaventem

Which direction are you supposed to dodge when Artorias does the sliding horizontal spin attack. It's the only attack of his which I can't manage to dodge and it messes everything up

To the right of him(broken arm side) if you're near.Back roll if far

mxgt

Banned
Speaking of reinforcement, my trusty Claymore is at +5 and it's ready for ascension into a Divine Claymore. Is that a weapon worth investing into? I noticed that the raw damage output drops when it switches development lines, but I figure since it's starting over again, that it will be back to full strength in no time. Thoughts?

Divine isn't very good aside from some specifc uses

I'd take Claymore to +15, I have one and it's damn good.

Summoning Failed .....
Summoning Failed .....
Summoning Failed .....

I've been able to summon my friends fine over the past few days. But today we all constantly get summoning failed. I can see orange signs and blood stains fine. We just can't connect to each other.

Tried it with ransoms too and still failing. Anyone else having trouble?

smaller-guide.jpg

Grief.exe

I take it that to get it to +15, I'm going to have to find a different blacksmith than the one in the Parish?

Don't worry. You will find him.

How do you properly use the Straight Sword's moveset? On the wiki it says R2 + R2 gets you a thrust, then an upward strike but I can't get that to work.

Summoning Failed .....
Summoning Failed .....
Summoning Failed .....

I've been able to summon my friends fine over the past few days. But today we all constantly get summoning failed. I can see orange signs and blood stains fine. We just can't connect to each other.

When i played back on Friday, someone helped me beat Taurus, but over the weekend I wasnt able to connect to anyone, tons of signs but SUMMONING FAILED :(

Bedlam

Just compared my PS3 and PC copy of the game and there is definitely something wrong.
On PS3 at level 35 Sens Fortress I was able to invade back to back for over an hour with no problems at all. On PC version I would be lucky to get 1 out of 10 attempts to work.

Even look at the way the soul symbols cycle its like the ps3 version was before the patch.
I was just thinking the same thing yesterday, except I played the 360 version before. On the PC version, I get WAY more "summoning failed" messages and so far I haven't been able to invade and no one invaded me despite me running around in human form a lot.

I must have played several hundred hours of this game now and the butress archers never get easier.

Yeah yeah, force them into melee. Doesn't work 9 times out of 10. normally I resort to getting suicidal phantoms in but no chance of that with the summon failure rate here.

Summoning Failed .....
Summoning Failed .....
Summoning Failed .....

You're not alone. Something with the online seems to be effed up.

web01

Summoning Failed .....
Summoning Failed .....
Summoning Failed .....

Online is borked yet not many people seem be acknowledging it.
More people need to speak up so we can hope for a patch to improve it.

I tested the PS3 versions and it works much better. PC is deserted for me hard to summon, invade or get summoned to the forest. Lucky to get it to work 1 in 10 times. PS3 on the other hand is very active.

Another newbie question, sorry guys but this game is one of my favorites ever after only playing for 3 days and I kind of want to know as much as possible without spoilers hehe.

Anyway, is there any way to get the Bosses back? I thought the bosses came back after going to a bonfire but It seems like this is not the case, I killed Taurus and then I got killed in the bridge by the dragon.

Anyway, as I tried to get back to my souls, I got owned by the damn zombies and I lost the 3k souls I had accumulated by killing Taurus, when I went back to kill him he doesnt spawn anymore.

Worse part is that someone helped me kill Taurus in co op and now I want to see if I can beat him by myself, but he wont spawn again :(.

Raide

Another newbie question, sorry guys but this game is one of my favorites ever after only playing for 3 days and I kind of want to know as much as possible without spoilers hehe.

Anyway, is there any way to get the Bosses back? I thought the bosses came back after going to a bonfire but It seems like this is not the case, I killed Taurus and then I got killed in the bridge by the dragon.

Anyway, as I tried to get back to my souls, I got owned by the damn zombies and I lost the 3k souls I had accumulated by killing Taurus, when I went back to kill him he doesnt spawn anymore.

Worse part is that someone helped me kill Taurus in co op and now I want to see if I can beat him by myself, but he wont spawn again :(.

NG+ and beyond.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I keep getting failed summons and O&S haven't given me this much trouble since I was a noob on the ps3 version. Them gimping the great eagle shield that 5% hurts like hell as well as me screwing up my stats placement. Gonna try again later or maybe just chill in the painted world or something.

Quikies83

I take it that to get it to +15, I'm going to have to find a different blacksmith than the one in the Parish?

Finding the blacksmiths won't do you any good if you don't have the required ember. Large ember to go from +5 to +10. Very Large Ember to go from +10 up to +15.
Take a look at that upgrade path image someone just linked.

If you want to kill Taurus you always have
Demon's Ruins. Taurus Demons are a normal enemy there

So I am starting to accumulate a bunch of repeat items I will never use, do I ever get to sell them? Merchant is buy only.

Also, I take it I can carry as much as I want and only equipped items count as encumbering

No, bosses don't respawn but if you're in a decent level range, you can go back and offer to help someone else with the white soapstone you got from Solaire. For that boss, you normally place it outside the bonfire room. If you help someone with the boss, you get half the souls.

You can't go back and solo bosses, unfortunately. On the other hand, getting back to taurus demon takes literally ten minutes on a brand new character if you want to give it another shot.

Euphor!a

Banned
So what is a good weapon to use after the Drake sword? Is there anything that is significantly better you should look at getting for a sorcerer before getting either the moonlight greatsword or Velka's Rapier?

Edit: I should mention that I have not yet rang the second bell but I have cleared pretty much everything I can up until I go do that.

Bedlam

Disasters are gone after the defeat of the gravelord servant just flashed on my screen.

What does that mean?
A member of the Gravelord Servant covenant cursed your game (puts some tougher enemies into your game). Someone else apparently killed him or he left his game.

Disasters are gone after the defeat of the gravelord servant just flashed on my screen.

What does that mean?

gravelord covenenant members infect your world (and others) by sending in harder enemies. the way to beat them is to find their mark, and invade their world and kill them. somebody in another game found his mark, and killed him

Serra

So I am starting to accumulate a bunch of repeat items I will never use, do I ever get to sell them? Merchant is buy only.

You can "sell" those items. Details in spoiler
After you ring the first bell in the undead parish (after the twin gargoyles) Kingseeker Frampt appears at Firelink Shrine. You can "feed" him the items, they are removed from your inventory and you gain souls.

No, bosses don't respawn but if you're in a decent level range, you can go back and offer to help someone else with the white soapstone you got from Solaire. For that boss, you normally place it outside the bonfire room. If you help someone with the boss, you get half the souls.

You can't go back and solo bosses, unfortunately. On the other hand, getting back to taurus demon takes literally ten minutes on a brand new character if you want to give it another shot.

lol right, why didnt I think of this.

Speaking of white soapstone, I have never used them, are they one use only? Do I have to buy a plethora of them to keep using them?

Also I cant believe the stone to leave messages costs 100 a pop, I dont think i will ever use them because of this, I thought it was a permanent item :(

GJS

Anybody had any issues with the white soul stone and the Red eye orb? No matter where I go they are greyed out. I know I'm online as I can still summon players.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
lol right, why didnt I think of this.

Speaking of white soapstone, I have never used them, are they one use only? Do I have to buy a plethora of them to keep using them?

Also I cant believe the stone to leave messages costs 100 a pop, I dont think i will ever use them because of this, I thought it was a permanent item :(

The white soapstone is how others can summon you.
all soapstones are supposed to have infinite uses.
I'm not sure what's going on with your orange one, maybe a glitch.

Razek

Banned
Alright I give up.

Question: Where is the shortcut to the surface at the bottom of blightown? I've been looking forever. My weapon is near broken (of course it had to now!) so I'm stranded with no method of attack besides a few fire orbs.

Zzoram

Alright I give up.

Question: Where is the shortcut to the surface at the bottom of blightown? I've been looking forever. My weapon is near broken (of course it had to now!) so I'm stranded with no method of attack besides a few fire orbs.

Go up the water wheel.

Top Bottom