• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

The white soapstone is how others can summon you.
all soapstones are supposed to have infinite uses.
I'm not sure what's going on with your orange one, maybe a glitch.

Really? I didnt even use mine, I just assumed they got consumed because when I tried to buy one from the merchant, he asked me how many I wanted to buy, which let me to believe that they are one time use item.

Some things in this game are so confusing hahhaa.

Sajjaja

Alright I give up.

Question: Where is the shortcut to the surface at the bottom of blightown? I've been looking forever. My weapon is near broken (of course it had to now!) so I'm stranded with no method of attack besides a few fire orbs.

If you can see Qulaags domain, travel along the right wall. Eventually you will get to a platform and a wheel. Use one of of he platforms on the wheel to ascend and take the ladders accordingly. Watch out though, as you get higher, those asshole plague shooter thingies can manage to get a shot off on you.

Just compared my PS3 and PC copy of the game and there is definitely something wrong.
On PS3 at level 35 Sens Fortress I was able to invade back to back for over an hour with no problems at all. On PC version I would be lucky to get 1 out of 10 attempts to work.

Even look at the way the soul symbols cycle its like the ps3 version was before the patch.
Ughh, that sucks. I've only played on the 360 pre 1.05 and while I know that they improved the online, I assumed that the changes would have been reflected in the PC version. With all of the failed summons I assumed that even improved that it was still broken, but I guess not. They'll probably never patch this version either :(

ive never let him kill her i always attack him right when he shows up to firelink do you still get his awesome ring when you invade and kill him?
You get the ring either way, but I think that you only get his armour if you follow his quest.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
You get the ring either way, but I think that you only get his armour if you follow his quest.

oqs5E.jpg

Swag! pure golden swag.

iNvid02

For the record, GFWL is a piece of shit with encrypting saves, handling profiles, deleting saves, and its whole patching process.

However one thing it does right is the ability to navigate its overlay with a 360 controller. Was able to send a message, view a profile, view an achievement etc all using the pad. Steam and Origin need this - i think steam will deliver with BPM.

ended up breaking down and buying this game again for PC..

It truly is a better version.. especially with Durante's fix.

I'm also finding it a more isolating experience playing with headphones at my computer..

Razek

Banned
Go up the water wheel.

If you can see Qulaags domain, travel along the right wall. Eventually you will get to a platform and a wheel. Use one of of he platforms on the wheel to ascend and take the ladders accordingly. Watch out though, as you get higher, those asshole plague shooter thingies can manage to get a shot off on you.

Oops. I made it up there but I kept going into that cavern with all the plague shooters. I didn't see that next ladder. Thanks!

[Location spoilers]

So this is interesting, I already opened this door to the drakes valley with the master key earlier, I just never explored out there. Does this mean you could skip almost all of the bosses and just go straight to the bottom of Blightown if you get the master key and open the door in the New Londo Ruins from the inside?

Edit:
UH OH. I can't use the Bonfire at firelink. What did I do?

Quikies83

Oops. I made it up there but I kept going into that cavern with all the plague shooters. I didn't see that next ladder. Thanks!

[Location spoilers]

So this is interesting, I already opened this door to the drakes valley with the master key earlier, I just never explored out there. Does this mean you could skip almost all of the bosses and just go straight to the bottom of Blightown if you get the master key and open the door in the New Londo Ruins from the inside?

You don't skip the other bosses but it definitely gives a great shortcut to blightown water wheel - thus keeping you from traversing through the main part of the area by yes, opening the gate from New Londo Ruins side. Basically just a a shortcut to Queelag, IMO.

Quikies83

Edit:

That's supposed to happen. After ringing the second bell the firekeeper is murdered. You can relight it by invading the killer from Anor Londo -- read up a bit and you'll see us talking about this scenario.

Frank

[Location spoilers]

Yup. That's the short way to do it. But to really make it short, better get the Master Key as a gift though, because ingame you can buy it only after you finish the Depths.

With it as a gift, Depths can be skipped as well (aside from entering a bit in the early parts to get the Large Ember & free Laurentius).

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

[Location spoilers]

Edit:

theres a fire keeper soul in that tunnel dont forget to pick it up

Razek

Banned
Thanks guys. I wish I would have investigated that area earlier, I did pick the master key as a gift and I hated the freakin' sewers/early blightown. Worst part of the game so far. Never doing that again if I don't have to.

theres a fire keeper soul in that tunnel dont forget to pick it up

Thanks, I grabbed it in my many escapades to find the shortcut.

A retail edition of the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition including Dark Souls™ original game and the new in game content -Artorias of the Abyss- will be coming to Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 on October 26th.

The additional content will also be available as a paid DLC 'Artorias of the Abyss' the very same day for owner of the original Dark Souls game on Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3.

Could the OP update the thread?

Grief.exe

[Location spoilers]

Edit:

I think most console players skipped Depths and Blighttown just because of the low frame rate. They went right for New Londo Ruins > Valley of Drakes > Bottom of Blighttown to skip everything they could.

I don't know that since I've never played Dark Souls before, just assuming from what I've heard.

Personally, Blighttown ran perfectly for me with no frame dips. Looking at the level its pretty obvious why consoles struggled. They are rendering such a massive area, from the very top of the level all the way to the bottom.

Could the OP update the thread?

PC ONLY ;)

SreyB

I've been getting invaded constantly by high level players. It sucks because every time I change into human form I can count on being invaded in about 1-2 mins. Is this just how the game works or are people cheating/hacking? These players have end game armor and weapons. When I attack them I do no damage -- even when I back stab them!

Bedlam

Thanks guys. I wish I would have investigated that area earlier, I did pick the master key as a gift and I hated the freakin' sewers/early blightown. Worst part of the game so far. Never doing that again if I don't have to.

Nah, you did the right thing (unintentionally). You should at least once experience the real Blighttown. Makes you feel better when you leave that shithole (which is Dark Souls in a nutshell). What's the point in skipping areas in this game unless you are on a speedrun? Blighttown is fucking intense, especially on the first playthrough. I'd never advise anyone to skip it.

I've been getting invaded constantly by high level players. It sucks because every time I change into human form I can count on being invaded in about 1-2 mins. Is this just how the game works or are people cheating/hacking? These players have end game armor and weapons. When I attack them I do no damage -- even when I back stab them!
They can't be above your level. But yes, it's not that hard to get high level gear without levelling once you know the game. That's what these people do.

Razek

Banned
I think most console players skipped Depths and Blighttown just because of the low frame rate. They went right for New Londo Ruins > Valley of Drakes > Bottom of Blighttown to skip everything they could.

I don't know that since I've never played Dark Souls before, just assuming from what I've heard.

Personally, Blighttown ran perfectly for me with no frame dips. Looking at the level its pretty obvious why consoles struggled. They are rendering such a massive area, from the very top of the level all the way to the bottom.
PC ONLY ;)

I was getting dips on my PC here and there. I debated turning down the rendering resolution but I just stuck with it. I couldn't imagine it at a constant 12fps. That must of been awful.

Mupod

Finally caught up to almost exactly where I was on the console version (cleared tomb of the giants and grabbed the very large ember from new londo, but skipped Sif until after the DLC).

My dex/faith build really doesn't get good until high level but I'm functional now. High enough END to mid-roll with paladin/giant set (Paladin for looks mostly, but it works well too) with fap ring and whatever else I need at the time. Also have enough int for those delicious utility spells but once I get my darkmoon catalyst I'll be able to do some damage too.

Still a sunbro, need 3 more medals for my great lightning spear...I really hope online's working better, because I didn't even see a single summon sign after saturday morning or so. I made sure my ports were forwarded anyways. I think I'll head to Demon Ruins next, hopefully there's some people around level 70 there. If not I'll go to the new area instead.

Rocking the +15 baller swag sword, was using quelaag's but wasn't a big fan of the moveset. The BSS just feels good to use even if my damage isn't quite up there yet (only have like...29 dex atm). I'll need to murder Gwyndolin soon, I do eventually plan to be a Darkmoon but that's probably gonna have to be saved for NG+. I really need that catalyst and Sunlight Blade.

Not sure what I want to do for a shield. I really loved the silver knight shield before but it looks like they nerfed its stability at some point, also I'd need another 3 str to equip it. Been using grass crest for now.

Cyrano

I just killed every NPC in the game besides Solaire.
Question: Is that bad?
The game has an ambiguous moral compass as far as NPCs are concerned. It's not really going to tell you that you're right or wrong for any given thing that you do. (though an NPC might tell you that you're wrong, the game's not gonna scold you for your actions)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Question: Do I need GFWL if I use Steam? I know I did with Arkham City (among how many other bullshit decisions they made with that PC version...)

Either I missed something or my game glitched.

I played on the ps3 and beat it... but i don't really remember what exactly happens now. Im early, I just killed the twin
gargoyles and rang the bell. Now, from what i remember I go back down and back down the bridge with the dragon breathing fire and I open that door that's locked. Except I can't... i don't have the key. Why don't i have the key? Or am I supposed to do something else right now?

Bedlam

Either I missed something or my game glitched.

I played on the ps3 and beat it... but i don't really remember what exactly happens now. Im early, I just killed the twin
gargoyles and rang the bell. Now, from what i remember I go back down and back down the bridge with the dragon breathing fire and I open that door that's locked. Except I can't... i don't have the key. Why don't i have the key? Or am I supposed to do something else right now?
The basement key lies at the front of the church, next to the gate that can be opened.

JVIDICAN

ah thanks. info should be added to the op. I don't even think this info is on the wiki's yet.
I thought my great swords were swinging a little slower.
Shame about the Eagle Shield as well.

Dark wood grain(ninja flip) rings been nerfed too. <25% equipment weight to flip, useless above that. Probably for the best. :<

IoCaster

Man I really don't know what the hell I'm doing but having fun figuring shit out anyway. I got the fireball working now and I'm exploring this Undead Burg a bit. Finally got a sword to backup this axe I've been using. Tweaked the mouse (Razor DeathAdder) sensitivity some more and it's a bit smoother so that's better. All in all, I'm enjoying just playing it by ear and discovering what the game has to offer. Got the graphics cranking pretty nice with 1080P, 4xMSAA, 4xSGSSAA and some quality AO. Running good @30FPS steady. Good game although I hope we get a better port next time with a little more effort by From. Anyway this will do well enough to allow me to finish this game. *thumbs up*

Jeramii

Banned
if i killed oscar in the undead asylum at the start of the game, will he be there if i want to go later and get that shield off him?

Bedlam

Tweaked the mouse (Razor DeathAdder) sensitivity some more and it's a bit smoother so that's better.
Get a gamepad. You'll enjoy the game 10 times more with it.

No matter how perfectly tuned your mouse sensitivity is, the keyboard/mouse controls in this game are a mess - because it wasn't developed with these controls in mind.

if i killed oscar in the undead asylum at the start of the game, will he be there if i want to go later and get that shield off him?
I'm pretty sure he's always there.

Alright guys, where should I go next? Just finished up Andro Lando and got the Lordvessel.
Whereever you want. Check out all possible directions and see where you get furthest. I'd recommend the catacombs (maybe get a divine weapon for the skeletons).

Nice variation on "Anor Londo" btw. ;)

FtHTiny

Alright guys, where should I go next? Just finished up Andro Lando and got the Lordvessel.

Well i you have placed it already it´s open for you where to go. Most say the catacombs (skeletons at firelink shrine) are the easier but most annoying route.

If not, covenant spoiler:

if you have not talked with framp after receiving the lordvessel and haven´t placed it, you can go into new londo ruins and try to get to the boss there first and unlock the hidden covenant

SreyB

They can't be above your level. But yes, it's not that hard to get high level gear without levelling once you know the game. That's what these people do.

I'm not so sure about that... I'll do full combos on them and do zero damage. On top of that they are kind of bad at the game - their combat skills are poor - I find it hard to believe they would be able to get the gear they have with the skills they exhibit.

Also they would have to level quite a bit wield the weapons, armor, and magic they are using.

Bedlam

I'm not so sure about that... I'll do full combos on them and do zero damage. On top of that they are kind of bad at the game - their combat skills are poor - I find it hard to believe they would be able to get the gear they have with the skills they exhibit.

Also they would have to level quite a bit wield the weapons, armor, and magic they are using.
I had one encounter with a cheater on the 360 version. He had about 20k HP. Your description sounds like the fight I had with that guy. Too bad but we kinda knew the PC version would be modded to hell. :(

LiK

I had one encounter with a cheater on the 360 version. He had about 20k HP. Your description sounds like the fight I had with that guy. Too bad but we kinda knew the PC version would be modded to hell. :(

you probably met a guy who used an exploit to lvl up before it was patched.

Aguirre

i can confirm the game runs fine on a 7850 after some initial teething problems. to start the fps was erratic, but now its buttery smooth at 30fps.

SreyB

Yeah, it sucks : ( I guess I could report them since the game uses GFWL, but I'm sure they are all using free Silver Accounts. I'm sure the hackers will get bored with it in a couple of weeks and find something else to ruin.

Grief.exe

Well i you have placed it already it´s open for you where to go. Most say the catacombs (skeletons at firelink shrine) are the easier but most annoying route.

If not, covenant spoiler:

if you have not talked with framp after receiving the lordvessel and haven´t placed it, you can go into new londo ruins and try to get to the boss there first and unlock the hidden covenant

Second option sounds like fun.

So I can't talk to frampt at all? Was gonna let him devour some gear so I can get more dosh. I was actually going to ask how to join the Darkwraiths, I either wanted to do them or Sunbros right now.

Putting my sign down at the Andor Londo bonfire to help people doing the boss.

Top Bottom