• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Exactly when does
Knight Lautrec
show up in firelink shrine?
I rather kill him before he kills the chick.
You'd want him to do that though, so that you can proceed on with the quest at Anor Londo.

Soulhouf

Yup, I will never understand it. As long as the person being invaded is host, there really shouldn't be an easy way for invaders to enter the game with stats that don't line up with their level.

Not even that. The game should kick you off and delete your save data when you have stats that do not go with your level.

JVIDICAN

I was just summoned to Darkroot Forest as a white phantom from the third bonfire in Anor Londo, and without putting down any sign.. wat?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I'm curious, what
non scalng weapon
are you talking about? I haven't found any new weapons in the DLC yet. And the non scales don't seem all that nerfed, my lightning zwei still does obscene damage.

Obsidian Greatsword, gotten from cutting off Kalameet's tail. Requires 20 Strength and 16 Dexterity, 480 physical damage when fully upgraded, has a special attack when wielded two-handed. It's pretty beastly.

That Frampt is follows you in the Dark Lord ending implies that both of them were working together, playing both sides. Should you Link the Fire, they likely do the same with whichever deity is going to rule. Neither of them are "ducky."

And she got the information from Frampt who is a liar.

If you link the fire then Gwyndolin is the ruler of Lordran by default. There's nothing to imply that he's under Frampt's thumb, or that Frampt even necessarily knows he exists. He doesn't seem like a bad sort, really.

Frampt has to obey you in the Dark Lord ending because, according to Kaathe, the mission of the primordial serpents is to bring about the Age of Dark, a mission which Frampt betrayed by aligning with Gwyn. He ain't really got much choice.

There's not much to imply Frampt lies to Anastacia either. Or that he's lying when he tells you that he's quite fond of humans. Yeah, he wants to turn you into a glorified candle, but a lie of omission is technically not a lie.

ixix, whats the best route for upgrading weapons? Elemental? Upgraded black knight weapons? Boss weapons? Its been quite a while since I beat the game multiple times on PS3. Not sure what they change for PC.

Most of what you've learned from the console versions is applicable, but the non-scaling upgrade paths are now weaker, but still decent. I've only checked Lightning and Fire, but I assume Chaos is nerfed as well. Black Knight gear is good if you're willing to invest the stats to use it, if you're heavily pumping your Int the MBH and MGS are still the go-to weapons, there's still not really any major standout for heavy Faith builds unless you want to make a Grant build. For Vitality builds I think the new pick of the litter is
the Obsidian Greatsword from Kalameet's tail I mentioned earler

Strength and Dexterity builds are where I'm a bit more uncertain. There are New options for them in the new content and I'm a bit unsure of how they'll slot into the hierarchy of quality since my current character can't use them. For Dex builds at least I doubt anything will ever replace Ricard's Rapier in my heart.

I finally got around to play this last night, along with Durante's fix, and it's so nice being able to make my way through Blighttown at a reasonable frame rate. Time to sell my 360 Collector's Edition of the game.

Varvor

Damn SL1 O & S is not all that easy. Been bushing my skull for past 3 hours now. Worst part is that i can summon any one outside of Knight Solarie.

Psy-Phi

Wait, knights can parry, riposte and backstab? Wow. I just got one-shotted by a riposte-ing balder knight.

Play like you don't know what an enemy can do -- when you do, you get reckless, and they inevitably pull something new out of their repertoire that devastates you. At least until you've played through the game 2 or 3 times.

So I got the Drake sword early on and it has been pretty good to me so far but I remember reading that you guys said that other weapons are better a bit after acquiring it.

Anyway, im checking the damage stats and nothing beats the Drake sword so far for me, I have no idea how to upgrade/level weapons so maybe thats why, can someone point me to the right direction or tell me how I can make normal weapons better than Drake's?

Thanks.

derwalde

what is a good SL for cooping at Sens and in Anor Londo? Im SL 45 and i would like to level up about 10 more SL, but not for the price of beeing out of range for coop.

and can somebody recommend me a good backup weapon/follow up for the claymore? im using my +3 lightning claymore right now but i think i need a scaling weapon in the long run. str is 16, dex 12, faith 12, int 10. after i hit 40 end i think i would like to level up faith (it just fits to my warrior of sunlight).

im hearing good things about the balder side sword, but it needs 16 dex. bastard sword would be another option, but the moveset is vastly inferior to my claymore imo...

Peterthumpa

Ok, or I'm really a noob or this game is fucking me hard.
Just left the first area of the game and now I'm on
that mountain where the bird left me off

If I go down,
some ghosts are able to kill me with one hit
, if I go up, there's a
cemetery where there's a dozen of skeletons
and I can't barely kill one of them. To the side there's a
big ass dragon that kills me only by looking at me

I don't have enough souls to buy anything stronger, so what the hell should I do? I knew this game was hard, but this is nuts.

Razek

Banned
Question: If I choose to do a fire weapon instead of electric, am I going to be completely screwed in the
fire magma area? I already beat the lava thing guarding the gold garb stuff and took a run to grab some items by the big giants. Do they seriously expect you to be able to kill bosses as regular enemies?
. I don't do any damage with my spear on the enemies in Sens and I'm too impatient to battle each enemy for 5 minutes. I just wanna upgrade now instead of waiting any longer.

You need to run towards the dragon. To the right there are stairs, around halfway the bridge.

If you can't get there even with no armor, farm souls for a bit more vitality.

Razek, the Demon's Ruins are strictly only needed at the end of the game. You should already have enough stuff to make a normal +15 or lightning +5 weapon. If it's a weapon that scales with a stat you can potentially kill the dudes there in 5-8 hits.

Raxus

Quick question,
I am rank 2 on the Daughter of Chaos covenant. Can I ditch it now and keep the shortcut to Lost Izalith?

MGrant

Ok, or I'm really a noob or this game is fucking me hard.
Just left the first area of the game and now I'm on
that mountain where the bird left me off

If I go down,
some ghosts are able to kill me with one hit
, if I go up, there's a
cemetery where there's a dozen of skeletons
and I can't barely kill one of them. To the side there's a
big ass dragon that kills me only by looking at me

I don't have enough souls to buy anything stronger, so what the hell should I do? I knew this game was hard, but this is nuts.

Look for a rough stone staircase leading up a grassy hill near the Firelink Shrine bonfire. You're going the right way if you see zombie swordsman and another guy on top of the hill tossing firebombs.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Quick question,
I am rank 2 on the Daughter of Chaos covenant. Can I ditch it now and keep the shortcut to Lost Izalith?

You can
leave the Covenant after you actually open the door. If you rank up but leave the Covenant before you actually walk down there and open it it'll be locked when you get there. Once the door is actually open you can leave the Covenant and still be able to use the shortcut.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Not sure where I should go next after beating
Smough and Ornstein
?
I think I need to level up a bit first though, that fight took a long time and I'm still wearing the same tattered armor set I started the game with.

What is good armor companion for using the Iato? I'm level 38 right now so I think I have room to build in pretty much any direction. I've only really been pumping endurance and I have my dex at 21 right now.

iNvid02

yeeeahh

x9y2y.png

Peterthumpa

Look for a rough stone staircase leading up a grassy hill near the Firelink Shrine bonfire. You're going the right way if you see zombie swordsman and another guy on top of the hill tossing firebombs.

Yeah, forgot to talk about this place. I've been there, but it seems rather small up there, nothing really interesting besides a large soul and some empty rooms... or am I missing something?

Reading the recommended builds over at Dark Souls wiki is confusing as hell.

As a newbie, what do you guys recommend for a Pyromancer? I have been putting everything in Vitality and Endurance since it seems to be the only thing I need right now, but I notice everything is getting more expensive as I go and im starting to wonder if im screwing myself over.

How do I get more magic spells for my Pyromancer? Right now I can only hold 8 fire balls... also is there anyway to replenish them without going to a Bonfire?

For reference im in the Undead Parish right now.

Raxus

You can
leave the Covenant after you actually open the door. If you rank up but leave the Covenant before you actually walk down there and open it it'll be locked when you get there. Once the door is actually open you can leave the Covenant and still be able to use the shortcut.

Damn it, I knew I joined this covenant too early.

MGrant

Yeah, forgot to talk about this place. I've been there, but it seems rather small up there, nothing really interesting besides a large soul and some empty rooms... or am I missing something?

Behind the guy throwing firebombs is a staircase into a drainpipe. That drainpipe should lead you to the next area, the Undead Burg.

Razek

Banned

There is another way, it's along the cliff edge. If your at the bonfire of firelink, and you look towards the well, that's the direction you have to go.

Not sure where I should go next after beating
Smough and Ornstein
?
I think I need to level up a bit first though, that fight took a long time and I'm still wearing the same tattered armor set I started the game with.

If you wan a pure physical armor, in the same building you killed Ornstein and Smough you can find a secret room near the bonfire, where you can get Havel armor, which is very heavy but very good. Don't use it if you want speed.

And you can go to
New Londo Ruins, the place with the ghosts, in order to kill the boss there. To do that you need to kill the boss in Darkroot Garden. If you kill this boss before talking to the disgusting snake of Firelink, you can get to a secret Covenant.

Peterthumpa

Behind the guy throwing firebombs is a staircase into a drainpipe. That drainpipe should lead you to the next area, the Undead Burg.

There is another way, it's along the cliff edge. If your at the bonfire of firelink, and you look towards the well, that's the direction you have to go.

Thanks! Gonna loose the next 4 hours being killed by the same level 4 skeletons again and again, I love this game.

Thanks! Gonna loose the next 4 hours being killed by the same level 4 skeletons again and again, I love this game.

If you go the right way you shouldnt be killed that easily, the enemies in that hill are no that hard, if they are, you are probably going the wrong direction, you should be able to see a zombie dude throwing fire bombs at you from a top a staircase.

Raxus

Reading the recommended builds over at Dark Souls wiki is confusing as hell.

As a newbie, what do you guys recommend for a Pyromancer? I have been putting everything in Vitality and Endurance since it seems to be the only thing I need right now, but I notice everything is getting more expensive as I go and im starting to wonder if im screwing myself over.

How do I get more magic spells for my Pyromancer? Right now I can only hold 8 fire balls... also is there anyway to replenish them without going to a Bonfire?

For reference im in the Undead Parish right now.

If you plan to stick to just pyro spells than intel is not required. Only magic and certain spells require intel. You cannot regen spells without a bonfire but you can equip more than one of the same spell to cause it to stack. Do not ignore strength and dexterity since most weapon requirements and the damage they do scales to those stats.

Serra

New Londo and the Four Kings is so fucking stupid.

I have greatly enjoyed everything up to this point but this is dumb. Running all the way from Firelink (even with the shortcut, rolling down from "upper" new londo to lower) it takes a couple of minutes of just running to get to the darkwraiths. Then changing armor and rings, then finally getting to the fight.

If you plan to stick to just pyro spells than intel is not required. Only magic and certain spells require intel. You cannot regen spells without a bonfire but you can equip more than one of the same spell to cause it to stack. Do not ignore strength and dexterity since most weapon requirements and the damage they do scales to those stats.

Thanks, now when you say Str and Dex affect weapons, is it worthwhile to only level these 2 if you run into weapons that need them to a certain level or should I be upgrading them constantly as all my weapons will see benefits?

Also if I level Str and Dex and look at the weapons stats, how do I know the new damage output, for example right now I have the
Drake sword with an output of 200
, when I level up those stats how can I know if another weapon is better than it?

New Londo and the Four Kings is so fucking stupid.

I have greatly enjoyed everything up to this point but this is dumb. Running all the way from Firelink (even with the shortcut, rolling down from "upper" new londo to lower) it takes a couple of minutes of just running to get to the darkwraiths. Then changing armor and rings, then finally getting to the fight.

It takes couple of minutes to farm all the Darkwraiths in NLR so that is bit of a hyperbole. I agree, the elevator ride is bit too long when the elevator is down... but I think you can send the elevator back and roll out.

Or just go in from the another route, that might be faster for you.

To those who have completed the DLC, WITHOUT SPOILING ANYTHING, can you please answer the following question with a simple "yes" or "no".

Aside from the items he has for sale, is there anything to gain from keeping the merchant in the Royal Wood alive? I want to kill him to see what he drops. Should I?

I just beat Artorias, FYI.

Also, where the hell are they getting these fantastic voice actors? Jesus Christ.

Top Bottom