• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

JVIDICAN

Reading the recommended builds over at Dark Souls wiki is confusing as hell.

As a newbie, what do you guys recommend for a Pyromancer? I have been putting everything in Vitality and Endurance since it seems to be the only thing I need right now, but I notice everything is getting more expensive as I go and im starting to wonder if im screwing myself over.

How do I get more magic spells for my Pyromancer? Right now I can only hold 8 fire balls... also is there anyway to replenish them without going to a Bonfire?

For reference im in the Undead Parish right now.

Upgrade to the necessary stats for your preferred weapon. get a few atunement slots and then invest heavily in upgrading your flame and getting new pyromancys

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
To those who have completed the DLC, WITHOUT SPOILING ANYTHING, can you please answer the following question with a simple "yes" or "no".

But you actually asked two questions.

Aside from the items he has for sale, is there anything to gain from keeping the merchant in the Royal Wood alive?

Nope.

I want to kill him to see what he drops. Should I?

If you're of a bloodthirsty inclination, then sure, why not?

Serra

ARGGHH!

I was *so* close to beating the Four Kings but I ran out of flasks. Now I just need to kindle the Firelink Shrine bonfire even more and keep trying.

Tarkus has my armor that I used most of the game with my first PS3 playthrough. When I finally face him, I'll show him that he hasn't earned the right to wear that beautiful Black Iron set.

I accidentally killed the
Sanctuary Guardian
before cutting the tail off. Oh well, next game+, Ill manage it! Loved his move set, and was tough but fair fight. Seeing as I only touched my Vitality stat twice, and have been focused on my dex/end mainly, with a bit of intelligence for spell buffs. This is biting me in the ass lately..as 600 HP is still low, and I can die pretty easy...=/ The benefit, however, is that I am learning to dodge a lot better in this playthrough, than my previous console playthroughs.

Had fun invading before the Crystal Caves, a popular place for cheaters it seems, but cheaters, I can still use my Zweihander to knock you off! =p (Thing is I know they were cheaters as they were worth about 3,500 souls each after killing them, and their HP never drained.) That weapon maxed, plus Crystal Magic Weapon makes boss fights easy!

Ok, regarding the new content, anywhere where I need to be human? I know of one place there may be a supposed invader, but I want to be sure. For now, I am explore the Royal Wood for the armor pieces...

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
started it up for about 40 minutes today after playing through the tutorial level yesterday.

took me about 20 minutes and one
giant skellie
to realize i was going the wrong way. worse yet, i was streaming myself getting repeatedly murdered by
skellies

FtHTiny

Sanctuary Guardian
before cutting the tail off. Oh well, next game+, Ill manage it! Loved his move set, and was tough but fair fight. Seeing as I only touched my Vitality stat twice, and have been focused on my dex/end mainly, with a bit of intelligence for spell buffs.

Ok, regarding the new content, anywhere where I need to be human? I know of one place there may be a supposed invader, but I want to be sure. For now, I am explore the Royal Wood for the armor pieces...

Try going back into the area after defeating the guardian, you may be surprised. ;c

Human spoiler
only after the second bonfire you get 1 npc invasion and you can summon help for boss 3 if you find him before.

krishian

Sanctuary Guardian
before cutting the tail off. Oh well, next game+, Ill manage it! Loved his move set, and was tough but fair fight. Seeing as I only touched my Vitality stat twice, and have been focused on my dex/end mainly, with a bit of intelligence for spell buffs.
Dont know how far you need to go into the PTD content, but when I returned to the Garden Sanctuary, there were two Guardians waiting in the clearing :) Not sure whether getting the tail would be easier in NG+ or with two of them, but you still have a chance, go for it!

slimer5

Neo Member
was struggling over and over again to kill the bell gargoyles, so i decided to summon Solaire. Holy crap I didn't expect much help from an NPC, but he tanked the gargoyles and just let me prance around and stab every now and then. i even got the gargoyle tail axe (im sure this a common thing, but I thought it was pretty cool, so just let me continue thinking im special!). the axe doesnt seem that great, though.. especially compared to the halberd +4 that im swingin around.

time to figure out where to go from here and also spend that 10,000 souls on some more vit/end

lovin this game.

JVIDICAN

I'm mostly a melee character, but use some pyromancy as well. should I upgrade my atunment slots so I can get the Great Chaos Fireball?

Thanks
Great Chaos Fireball is nice if you have the space, but with 2 spots your better off with great fireball and great combustion.

Grief.exe

Great Chaos Fireball is nice if you have the space, but with 2 spots your better off with great fireball and great combustion.

Thats actually what I ended up going for. Got Iron Flesh, Great Combustion, and Great Fireball.

I heard Iron Flesh is good for PVP and Four Kings fight, which I'm about to do.

Serra

Finally beat the Four Kings, epic battle took 13 estus flasks and 3 Green Blossoms. I guess my DPS was way too low since there was always 2 kings versus me.

JVIDICAN

Thats actually what I ended up going for. Got Iron Flesh, Great Combustion, and Great Fireball.

I heard Iron Flesh is good for PVP and Four Kings fight, which I'm about to do.

Oh its definitely nice for 4 Kings, for pvp it really depends on what kind of build your up against

Grief.exe

So quick question about the guy you meet when you first get to Lordaran:

I just met the hollow version of him in the New Londo ruins, any reasoning as to why he left and how he died?

wutwutwut

was struggling over and over again to kill the bell gargoyles, so i decided to summon Solaire. Holy crap I didn't expect much help from an NPC, but he tanked the gargoyles and just let me prance around and stab every now and then. i even got the gargoyle tail axe (im sure this a common thing, but I thought it was pretty cool, so just let me continue thinking im special!). the axe doesnt seem that great, though.. especially compared to the halberd +4 that im swingin around.

time to figure out where to go from here and also spend that 10,000 souls on some more vit/end

lovin this game.
As far as I can tell the weapons that would be ordinary ones in a typical JRPG are actually some of the best in the game, and the unique drops eventually start sucking. Same goes for the armour -- I mean I still haven't found anything better than the pyromancer starting set.

ixix

So quick question about the guy you meet when you first get to Lordaran:

I just met the hollow version of him in the New Londo ruins, any reasoning as to why he left and how he died?

If you talk to him a few times after Frampt appears he complains about the constant noise he makes and how he smells terrible and he can't stand it. After a while he can't take it anymore and apparently goes down to New Londo and turns hollow.

Poor guy. Killed because he couldn't tolerate a smelly snake.

Razek

Banned
I'm done. I quit. It's over. Spoilers or something.

I just spent the last 3 hours working my butt off to get this stupid spear up to par for sens fortress by going into the catacombs running around like a headless chicken trying to find the blacksmith. I finally did and made weapon. I didn't want a fire weapon but whatever, it is going to have to do.

I make it back to sens and decide to kill the mimic and what does he drop? A lighting spear.

I quit.

JVIDICAN

I just spent the last 3 hours working my butt off to get this stupid spear up to par for sens fortress by going into the catacombs running around like a headless chicken trying to find the blacksmith. I finally did and made weapon. I didn't want a fire weapon but whatever, it is going to have to do.

I make it back to sens and decide to kill the mimic and what does he drop? A lighting spear.

I quit.
downgrade one of them at blacksmith and save it for an eventual boss soul weapon?

who is this guy? i met him couple of times oO

a npc phantom. :p

Finalow

I quit.
dark souls wiki is your friend. or just take that as a lesson for the next time. ;D

ixix

I quit.

But now you have two spears. You could dual wield them! Hardly anything to be upset about.

My first run of the game was blind (no wiki except for that ring for the abyss), 100% melee only, and took about 30 hours to reach credits. It was pretty smooth sailing honestly. The only time I ran up against real difficulty was when I was tackling stuff that was just out of league for my soul level (a problem that Demon's Souls really never had).

Jeramii

Banned

I quit.

the lightning spear is famous from sens fortress. it's a nice free gift and is pretty powerful. don't quit man.

think of your experience in the catacombs as a learning experience. you're probably slightly better than you were before.

go on. anor londo is just a moment away. you'll forget all about this previous horrible experience.

IoCaster

Get a gamepad. You'll enjoy the game 10 times more with it.

No I won't enjoy it using a controller since it feels gimped and unnatural to me. Play it your way and I'll play it mine.

No matter how perfectly tuned your mouse sensitivity is, the keyboard/mouse controls in this game are a mess - because it wasn't developed with these controls in mind.

There's nothing inherent in the gameplay itself that wouldn't work better with KB/M if From had put the slightest effort into making it work as it should. At this point I'm done bitching about it and I'll be damned if I won't kick this games ass with a gimped up mouse just on general principle.

Let me lay it out straight. I'm not gonna use a wiki or beg for hints, tips or tactics. I'm going to have my fun beating the crap out of this game and when I'm done it'll be time enough to wait for the next shitty port so I can do it again. I'm loving every minute of this shit.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
If you wan a pure physical armor, in the same building you killed Ornstein and Smough you can find a secret room near the bonfire, where you can get Havel armor, which is very heavy but very good. Don't use it if you want speed.

And you can go to
New Londo Ruins, the place with the ghosts, in order to kill the boss there. To do that you need to kill the boss in Darkroot Garden. If you kill this boss before talking to the disgusting snake of Firelink, you can get to a secret Covenant.

Thanks for the advice! I found Havel's armor.
And got eaten again!

I think I'm more of a speed type though. I'm using an Iato at +10 (not sure where I'm going to go with it after that) and I'm using a grass shield and a balder shield interchangably right at the moment. I like the stam regen bonus on the grass shield, but it sucks when I get hit by something big.

I was hoping for some armor that gives me some better physical defense, but without sacrificing my speed. Sometimes I get a little lost when I start trying to compare all the stats between items.

Sullichin

New content -
black dragon kalameet is tough. I'm going to stop trying for his tail because I read it's a strength weapon and i'm dex, so I'll just get it next time. All of the bosses in the DLC are hard, which is great but I wish the new areas were more substantial.

NZNova

I'm scared to level up my Pyromancer because I have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to waste points. So far I've just leveled up HP and stamina a bit. I have this paralysing fear of ending up with a gimpy character after 100 hours...

Also, I should probably do something about the letterboxing I'm getting in 16:10...

9HdAr.jpg

Top Bottom