• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

There's nothing inherent in the gameplay itself that wouldn't work better with KB/M if From had put the slightest effort into making it work as it should. At this point I'm done bitching about it and I'll be damned if I won't kick this games ass with a gimped up mouse just on general principle.

Let me lay it out straight. I'm not gonna use a wiki or beg for hints, tips or tactics. I'm going to have my fun beating the crap out of this game and when I'm done it'll be time enough to wait for the next shitty port so I can do it again. I'm loving every minute of this shit.

riker.gif

LiK

I'm scared to level up my Pyromancer because I have no idea what I'm doing and don't want to waste points. So far I've just leveled up HP and stamina a bit. I have this paralysing fear of ending up with a gimpy character after 100 hours...

play how you want. it's the beauty of Souls games. some people have beaten the Souls games without lvling up at all. that's how they roll. there's no wrong way to play it.

tengiants

I'm done. I quit. It's over. Spoilers or something.

I just spent the last 3 hours working my butt off to get this stupid spear up to par for sens fortress by going into the catacombs running around like a headless chicken trying to find the blacksmith. I finally did and made weapon. I didn't want a fire weapon but whatever, it is going to have to do.

I make it back to sens and decide to kill the mimic and what does he drop? A lighting spear.

I quit.

Don't worry. You'll need them both if you want to go for all the achievements.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
lightning spear is overrated

I think it's rated just about right. It's similar to the Drake Sword, Astora's Straight Sword, and the Tin Banishment Catalyst in that it's an easily acquired weapon with low stat requirements that deals good damage. I think the main difference between it and its counterparts is that if you fully upgrade it you can take it all the way to the end of the game without suffering too much.

Though I suppose I may need to re-evaluate that with the Lightning nerf. It might only be about on par with a full-upgraded Drake Sword now.

New content -
black dragon kalameet is tough. I'm going to stop trying for his tail because I read it's a strength weapon and i'm dex, so I'll just get it next time. All of the bosses in the DLC are hard, which is great but I wish the new areas were more substantial.

It's actually
not a Strength weapon, per se. It's a non-scaling greatsword that requires 20 Strength and 16 Dexterity. 480 Physical damage fully upgraded, and it has a special attack. Still probably not useful for your build.

Grief.exe

I just spent the last 3 hours working my butt off to get this stupid spear up to par for sens fortress by going into the catacombs running around like a headless chicken trying to find the blacksmith. I finally did and made weapon. I didn't want a fire weapon but whatever, it is going to have to do.

I make it back to sens and decide to kill the mimic and what does he drop? A lighting spear.

I quit.

lol

Keep that spear, its good against the boss in Andor Londo.

Expecting them to completely rethink the control scheme for a game that was designed for consoles seems crazy to me. Do people play DMC 4 with their keyboard?

Anteater

Expecting them to completely rethink the control scheme for a game that was designed for consoles seems crazy to me. Do people play DMC 4 with their keyboard?

The game isn't as fast as dmc4 but there were reviewers that complained about dmc4 having no keyboard/mouse support, I think it was 1up.

Yo Gotti

Banned

I quit.

Good job.

The bosses of Anor Londo are weak to fire and lightning.

Consider yourself prepared.

King Boo

so i finally defeated the boss on the church, and met this npc that sells the first magic spell i've seen. but it's 40,000 souls. and i already got the poison ring from him since i hate those rats, and i know i'm gonna run into more rats or other things that can poison me.

should i get the spell? it is called
karmic justice
. also how do i tell if i have the stat requirements to use the spell? i don't want to do 40 runs around the church just to have a spell i can't use.

oh and i got these two nice weapons from that boss on the church. but it's so weak compared to the
dragon sword you get from shooting the tail off a...dragon.

Mugaaz

No I won't enjoy it using a controller since it feels gimped and unnatural to me. Play it your way and I'll play it mine.

There's nothing inherent in the gameplay itself that wouldn't work better with KB/M if From had put the slightest effort into making it work as it should. At this point I'm done bitching about it and I'll be damned if I won't kick this games ass with a gimped up mouse just on general principle.

Let me lay it out straight. I'm not gonna use a wiki or beg for hints, tips or tactics. I'm going to have my fun beating the crap out of this game and when I'm done it'll be time enough to wait for the next shitty port so I can do it again. I'm loving every minute of this shit.

Amen brother. This is the way the game is meant to be played. People just don't understand how much joy youre sucking out of the game by using wiki, guides, etc. Even for basic info you are just degrading the experience. The game is bliss when you're scared shitless, you don't know where you are, you don't know what is around the next bend, you don't know if the next fog door is a boss or a new area. That sense of exploration and danger associated with it is something other games have never been able to provide. People think the game is just about survival, but the exploration aspect is the strongest part. Most people don't realize it because they get fed up with dying, or not know if there weapon is good, or they want to know how to get an armor set, etc.

Just play the game blind. If you get stuck on a boss, watch a video on youtube for strategy. Otherwise, just play blind. Yeah, you'll miss some items, you'll miss some areas, so what? You know how awesome it feels when you naturally find a secret area or a chest that takes a jump to get to? Its completely awesome.

I understand this is not for everybody, but you should really give it a chance. Replaying through the old content again for me wasn't even fun. Going through the DLC the first time not knowing anything was fucking amazing. Finding the secrets, overcoming the bosses with your own strategy, nothing comes close. The other great part is after beating it you look at all the guides and info and you realize you never found something, or missed an entire area. Then you get to redo it all differently on your next playthrough.

Grief.exe

Any suggestions for New Londo ruins? I drained the water and opened up the shortcut all the way to the bottom, but as soon as I take the lift down, there are three dark wraiths waiting for me.

Any tips?

ArynCrinn

Banned
so i finally defeated the boss on the church, and met this npc that sells the first magic spell i've seen. but it's 40,000 souls. and i already got the poison ring from him since i hate those rats, and i know i'm gonna run into more rats or other things that can poison me.

karmic justice
. also how do i tell if i have the stat requirements to use the spell? i don't want to do 40 runs around the church just to have a spell i can't use.

oh and i got these two nice weapons from that boss on the church. but it's so weak compared to the

You don't need Karmic Justice right now, hold off. And if you got the Gargoyle's Halberd...upgrade that! It shits all over the Drake Sword once it's leveled, the best Halberd in the game.

Gvaz

Banned
Third person games are generally better with a mouse and keyboard, but they just slapped on shit wholesale without any respect to the medium.

Jeramii

Banned
Amen brother. This is the way the game is meant to be played. People just don't understand how much joy youre sucking out of the game by using wiki, guides, etc. Even for basic info you are just degrading the experience. The game is bliss when you're scared shitless, you don't know where you are, you don't know what is around the next bend, you don't know if the next fog door is a boss or a new area. That sense of exploration and danger associated with it is something other games have never been able to provide. People think the game is just about survival, but the exploration aspect is the strongest part. Most people don't realize it because they get fed up with dying, or not know if there weapon is good, or they want to know how to get an armor set, etc.

Just play the game blind. If you get stuck on a boss, watch a video on youtube for strategy. Otherwise, just play blind. Yeah, you'll miss some items, you'll miss some areas, so what? You know how awesome it feels when you naturally find a secret area or a chest that takes a jump to get to? Its completely awesome.

I understand this is not for everybody, but you should really give it a chance. Replaying through the old content again for me wasn't even fun. Going through the DLC the first time not knowing anything was fucking amazing. Finding the secrets, overcoming the bosses with your own strategy, nothing comes close. The other great part is after beating it you look at all the guides and info and you realize you never found something, or missed an entire area. Then you get to redo it all differently on your next playthrough.

i mostly agree with what you're saying. i'm all about doing all the exploring myself without a guide or tutorials. however. when it comes to shit like leveling a shield and not wasting something like the soul of sif, or the soul of the moonlit butterfly, I do research.

I discovered a bunch of stuff so far on my PC run of this game that I never saw on PS3. Plus I love the element of surprise with finding an NPC or item out in the middle of nowhere that I just wandered my way to.

I also rarely summon people to my games unless I'm absolutely unable to defeat a boss. Mostly because I don't get to explore at the slow comfortable pace that memorizes the level/map/locations etc. I love how you don't forget where enemies pop out, where traps are, and everything else after getting fucked up.

fact. Until last night, I had no idea this place existed:
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541810680984873821/703BD2D21C4003DC95F7C962D4FB535C5082B754/

IoCaster

Hm, is there any keyboard support at all? If not I guess I have to hold off until I buy a controller then.

Nah, the keyboard is alright, just remap it the way you like. The mouse support is beyond awful, but that's something that can be tweaked. It's worth the effort to play the game as is. Great game, bad port. *shrug*

Grief.exe

Oh shit. Apparently I need to kill
Sif in the Darkroot Garden before I can even get to the Four Kings boss

I was almost there, now I gotta head over there lol.

If anyone needs help with a boss just post here, message me, or PM me on XBL: Kiss The Blade

SL56

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Oh shit. Apparently I need to kill
Sif in the Darkroot Garden before I can even get to the Four Kings boss

I was almost there, now I gotta head over there lol.

This is the source of a huge amount of co-op heartbreak/hilarity.
People throw down their summon signs in New Londo or summon help then either don't have or forget to equip the ring. They die the instant they jump down to the boss.

I've seen that happen more times than I care to count.

Listen to this guy. The notes people leave on the ground are more than enough outside help for this game.

Grief.exe

Damn it, October 26th? Right before Assassin's Creed III and only a few weeks after RE6. Whatever, I'll be buying the DLC on day one.

At least on PC, those are the kind of games that you wait until they are $5-$10, not really worth paying full price for. Ubisoft games you avoid all together because of their DRM.

Dark Souls, day one.

FACE

Banned

You have a heart of gold, don't let them take it away from you.

Raxus

Are titanite shards easy/semi easy to find? I'm thinking of reinforcing my scimitar...

They are super cheap to buy but 'hard' to find. Save yourself the headache and buy them. Saves your time.

I need some light armor and a new shield (Grass crest +10 just doesn't cut it) Any recommendations?

Ridley327

It figures; I have a human phantom and Solaire summoned for the fight against the Gasping Dragon and it picks up on the fact that I'm try to cut off its tail. A couple swipes later and I am no more. :(

karmic justice

There is a merchant already available to you from the start of the game that sells spells if you have a look around. Also you're about to come across the second magic merchant very soon.

That weapon
Drake Sword is powerful very early on, but don't get too attached to it, it's almost a trap weapon and soon becomes completely outclassed by almost anything you can get your hands on and upgrade.

A retail edition of the Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition including Dark Souls™ original game and the new in game content -Artorias of the Abyss- will be coming to Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 on October 26th.

The additional content will also be available as a paid DLC 'Artorias of the Abyss' the very same day for owner of the original Dark Souls game on Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3.

That can't be right... that is on a Friday. XBL content shows up on Tuesday mornings as well as new games.

Razek

Banned
I don't get it, what am I supposed to be doing with the famous 'lando archers'? You can't use a shield, it knocks you off. You can just run, you die. So, I'm stuck?

I don't get it, what am I supposed to be doing with the famous 'lando archers'? You can't use a shield, it knocks you off. You can just run, you die. So, I'm stuck?

Some people seem to know how to do that 'parry' thing, but fortunately for scrubs such as myself you can
hit them with poison arrows from a distance and watch their health tick away.

It had to turn out like this, I knew it.

Before the game came out I told myself I would only do the game on PC so I can experience the new content right now, then I would do that new content again (twice) on PS3 once it's released, to keep my save file on that system as a "100% done and have all items in the game at least once".

I was never supposed to try and redo a "perfect game" save on PC...but I caved in, I'm just too much OCD about Dark Souls and can't leave my PC save totally incomplete like that.
So the result is that I just need a few items in my first game (plus the new content to explore, didn't fight Artorias yet) and then it's time for NG+ for boss souls, plus alternate outcomes in some NPC quests, then NG++ for some more boss souls.

Dark Souls, it invades your mind.

Razek

Banned
Parry/riposte

I nearly mastered the original Demon Souls and I still have no idea how to do this.

If you block his sword attacks he tends to knock him self off. You can also lure him back to the buttress, he always falls down trying to get you.

I keep getting shot in the back by the other guy if I just sit there.

Some people seem to know how to do that 'parry' thing, but fortunately for scrubs such as myself you can
hit them with poison arrows from a distance and watch their health tick away.

Is there a way out Lando easily or do I have to travel sens fortress every time?

Deadstar

It had to turn out like this, I knew it.

Before the game came out I told myself I would only do the game on PC so I can experience the new content right now, then I would do that new content again (twice) on PS3 once it's released, to keep my save file on that system as a "100% done and have all items in the game at least once".

I was never supposed to try and redo a "perfect game" save on PC...but I caved in, I'm just too much OCD about Dark Souls and can't leave my PC save totally incomplete like that.
So the result is that I just need a few items in my first game (plus the new content to explore, didn't fight Artorias yet) and then it's time for NG+ for boss souls, plus alternate outcomes in some NPC quests, then NG++ for some more boss souls.

Dark Souls, it invades your mind.

It sucked me right back in just like it did for you. I played mainly a heavy melee character with a halberd, pyromancy and miracles. In this game I'm going for a fast moving magic user. It's a totally different experience and a ton of fun. I went through Sen's and realized I had missed meeting Griggs who would sell me magic so I need to kill the boss then backtrack to go get more spells.

Is there a way out Lando easily or do I have to travel sens fortress every time?

The answer you seek is in the castle in Anor Londo.

Anteater

Dash and roll to avoid the attacks, go up to the dude on the right and do your best, once he's dead you just move on.

Zeliard

That was the hardest part of the game for me. I died so many times.

The two sections that frustrate so many people that I've never had a problem with at all are the gargoyles in Demon's Souls and the Anor Lando archers in Dark Souls.

And this isn't to say that other parts of the games can't be quite hard, but it's never been either of those two sections for me. Even the first time with the Anor Lando archers, I basically just went through it like any other section, and saw later on that people were raging hard at it. :p

Top Bottom