• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Is there a way out Lando easily or do I have to travel sens fortress every time?

You have to go through Sens but you unlock a shortcut which makes this easy.

Zeliard said:
The two sections that frustrate so many people that I've never had a problem with at all are the gargoyles in Demon's Souls and the Anor Lando archers in Dark Souls.

And this isn't to say that other parts of the games can't be quite hard, but it's never been either of those two sections for me. Even the first time with the Anor Lando archers, I basically just went through it like any other section, and saw later on that people were raging hard at it. :p

Well, if you utilize parry/riposte a lot it works there. I tend to play with a spear and my shield up at all times, so it baffled me when everyone was like, "Just knock him off."

Razek

Banned
You have to go through Sens but you unlock a shortcut which makes this easy.

Well, if you utilize parry/riposte a lot it works there. I tend to play with a spear and my shield up at all times, so it baffled me when everyone was like, "Just knock him off."

I'm not to worried about spoilers at this point, I'm starting to get burnt out. Where is it if you don't mind?

Heh, and that's me too. Spear and shield. This part is not good for this build.

You have options with the archers in Anor Londo.

Run up and go right, when you get to the top use the invincibility of your roll to dodge the arrows until the knight goes melee, then block & attack/kick/shield bash/parry. Stamina regen items help as does a good stable shield.

Or you can poison arrow them from the bottom, or the middle column. If you get continuous head shots in, you don't even need poison arrows as each hit staggers them. Temp. use of the Ring of Fog helps in that they can't see you until you hit them with an arrow. This is the no hassle way, but I'd advise everyone to do the melee method at least the first time you pass them.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Quelagg's Sword made Dark garden so incredibly easy lol.

Whats the story behind this guy? He looks exactly like Andre.
Another of the legendary blacksmiths, he was renown for creating Divine weapons. You find the divine ember nearby. He was cursed and turned to stone by the Moonlight Butterfly which was created by Seath to prevent any Undead from gaining the means to fight Nito and his dead in the Catacombs and the Tomb of the Giants.

I'm not to worried about spoilers at this point, I'm starting to get burnt out. Where is it if you don't mind?

Heh, and that's me too. Spear and shield. This part is not good for this build.

One of the hanging cages is an elevator. I don't remember which one.

Zeliard

I don't actually parry that often. Mostly in places where it isn't feasible to flank or backstab.

If you have a shield with good stability I think you can also just block the attacks and the recoil will send him to his death, or leave him open for a kick.

King Boo

There is a merchant already available to you from the start of the game that sells spells if you have a look around. Also you're about to come across the second magic merchant very soon.

That weapon
Drake Sword is powerful very early on, but don't get too attached to it, it's almost a trap weapon and soon becomes completely outclassed by almost anything you can get your hands on and upgrade.

alright that's good to know. i was also getting bored of that sword too lol. i'll look for this other merchant too.

i forgot to say something before. inside the church
i found some planks that i can break, and freed some guy stuck in there. so i went to check on him, and he's gone. and people are leaving messages that he's a liar?! this just made teh game a lot more interesting. can't wait to find out if he's evil or not. he did do an evil laugh before....but he's innocent until proven guilty i guess.
exploring is pretty fun.

Ciastek3214

Same here somewhat, but you just gotta suck it up and say hey, at least you don't have to worry about hoofing it back to that spot anymore.

Still hurts the first time, though.

It was at the Moonlight Butterfly boss, I got killed there, and when I was coming back there I fell off a cliff when fighting an ent.

Or just let him roll off the edge.
Whatever works, right!

The archers are the bane of all first time players. From love a good rage gate in their games.

I use arrows every time, I love bows and long-range weaponry in this game, so any chance I get to kill an enemy before they see me, I love it. I even take the Anor Londo gargoyles out with poison arrows just for fun . Seeing off invaders while the poison gets to work :)

i forgot to say something before. inside the church
i found some planks that i can break, and freed some guy stuck in there. so i went to check on him, and he's gone. and people are leaving messages that he's a liar?! this just made teh game a lot more interesting. can't wait to find out if he's evil or not. he did do an evil laugh before....but he's innocent until proven guilty i guess.
exploring is pretty fun.
Most times when you rescue/meet an NPC who moves from that location they are at
Firelink Shrine
. Some people kill him straight away, I advise letting his story play out fully, the rewards are greater!

Jeramii

Banned
I don't get it, what am I supposed to be doing with the famous 'lando archers'? You can't use a shield, it knocks you off. You can just run, you die. So, I'm stuck?

i just run as fast as i fucking can then stab them. it works 60% of the time, everytime.

Is there a list that tells you what the various icons that can appear under your stamina bar mean? I've got one that is a humanity symbol and I'm not sure what it means. It randomly appeared when I started playing again.

kodt

Banned
Is there a way to remove the intro logos? I hate that when I go to quit game, I have to watch those 3 logos slowly play again before I get to the main menu and then have to choose quit again.

Zeliard

Alt+F4 when the logos pop up. Make sure you aren't Alt+F4'ing when it's checking game saves at the start. Might screw something up.

Hypron

Is there a way to remove the intro logos? I hate that when I go to quit game, I have to watch those 3 logos slowly play again before I get to the main menu and then have to choose quit again.

I just use alt-f4 when the "this game uses autosave blablabla" message appears. It works perfectly.

Edit: Owned twice :(

kodt

Banned
Man, the archers in Anor Londo. I think that's by far where I got killed the most in NG+ and NG++. Hate them so much.

I read so much about that part that I was prepared, I ended up unequipping armor so I was light, and just roll dodging up the ramp and somehow was lucky enough to get right next to him. Then just held block with my shield and they knocked themselves right off. My friend was so mad that I beat it first try.

Zeliard

I nearly mastered the original Demon Souls and I still have no idea how to do this.

Hit L2 as the enemy is about to hit you, and if you timed it right the enemy will be left open and you'll hear a distinctive sound, after which point you attack for the riposte.

What makes it particularly useful with the Lando archers is that your character tends to kick the enemy forward to remove the weapon, and it can be enough to make enemies fall off on cliffs and ledges. Backstabs can be fun for the exact same reason. Plus it just looks cool.

Zzoram

I read so much about that part that I was prepared, I ended up unequipping armor so I was light, and just roll dodging up the ramp and somehow was lucky enough to get right next to him. Then just held block with my shield and they knocked themselves right off. My friend was so mad that I beat it first try.

Once you get the hang of it, it's really not that hard, just like everything in this game. You just need to go through the learning pains.

Orayn

Man, the archers in Anor Londo. I think that's by far where I got killed the most in NG+ and NG++. Hate them so much.

The tactic that's worked best for me is rolling straight at them. There are just enough invincible frames that it feels like you're doing this:

Lmdcn.gif

...Except the "bullets" are the size of spears.

The tactic that's worked best for me is rolling straight at them. There are just enough invincible frames that it feels like you're doing this:

Lmdcn.gif

...Except the "bullets" are the size of spears.

I don't know, it's bad enough because the first time I did it I did it on the first try. But on NG+ and NG++ they kicked my ass.

Kinda like Bed of Chaos. I don't know how it's possible but that boss killed me more than anything else in the game. Even more than the stupid giant cats from Darkroot.

Fuck me. I can't accomplish Anow Londo by myself. Done the Painted World and SL 62 but just can't get through the boss.

Summoning fails all the time and Solaire is ripped of by the guards before I can get through the mist door...

Corto

I'm at the undead parish but I ran away from some 10 enemies and a mini tower guy like the one in Demon's Souls just looking for a Bonfire near the blacksmith... Uffff what a rush! hehehe Now to compose myself and return to the chapel to be shredded to pieces.

Haunted

Fuck me. I can't accomplish Anow Londo by myself. Done the Painted World and SL 62 but just can't get through the boss.

Summoning fails all the time and Solaire is ripped of by the guards before I can get through the mist door...
Can you kill the guards on your own? Summon Solaire afterwards.

Ornstein & Smough are (imo) the cheapest boss in the game when going solo, but with two players they're doable.

Ridley327

Huzzah! Gasping Dragon defeated with relative ease!

Once the tail is gone, he doesn't seem to do anything besides crawl around and occasionally trying to land on top of you. I suspect that this may end up being a common theme before the end.

Took a hell of a way to get there, though; I fell down one of the holes and wandered into what I think was the lowest level with those googly-eyed motherfuckers that breathe curse gas in the hopes that I won't be able to kill them fast enough. Bad news for them!

Nice little surprised down there, too, with the
NPC invading you. Sadly, he, like many others before, felt the sweet, sweet beauty of repeated backstabs.
I don't know what it is about the way they did the whole thing, but backstabbing anything is so rewarding.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I got a bit lucky with the archers on my first character because my first playthrough was with a Dex build that used bows a lot. My first instinct wasn't to run at them, it was to engage them in an archery duel. Which I lost horribly.

But on my second attempt I tried out those unsportsmanlike arrows I had purchased from the crazy moss lady and things went swimmingly.

Grief.exe

Can you imagine a souls game on a new console? WHOOOOOO baby. It'd be as tasty as warm pizza fresh out the oven in October.

eh. The next gen consoles are looking like a joke graphically. And that's now, fast forward to the end of 2013 when they are released and it gets dramatically worse. The gap is going to be significantly worse next generation then it is now.

I just started playing this series, but I am already pining for a sequel.

What really blows my mind is why Konami doesn't take this exact formula and make a Castlevania game from it, its pretty much a perfect 3D Metroidvania as it is.

Ridley327

eh. The next gen consoles are looking like a joke graphically. And that's now, fast forward to the end of 2013 when they are released and it gets dramatically worse. The gap is going to be significantly worse next generation then it is now.

I just started playing this series, but I am already pining for a sequel.

What really blows my mind is why Konami doesn't take this exact formula and make a Castlevania game from it, its pretty much a perfect 3D Metroidvania as it is.

I remember when DMC1 came out, and several reviews pointed out that it had the groundwork for a fantastic 3D Castlevania, thanks largely in part to how wonderfully atmospheric and immaculately designed the castle was. It brought out the gothic horror vibe of that series better than the N64 Castlevanias were able to do. I'd love to see someone do a more platforming-heavy Dark Souls-esque game, because it's so damn close to being that ideal.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Still trying to decide where I want to go with my character level wise, but in the mean time I decided to take on this guy...

Spoilers in the links unless it's ok to show this particular beastie:

Pic 1
Pic 2

This game looks pretty great with DuranteMod!

Edit: Uploaded from Steam.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Hm, guy just sent me hatemail and reported me for backstabbing him. Funny part is that he was using an infinite stamina hack to do nothing but roll around the entire battle without pause.

Still trying to decide where I want to go with my character level wise, but in the mean time I decided to take on this guy...

Spoilers in the links unless it's ok to show this particular beastie:

Pic 1
Pic 2

This game looks pretty great with DuranteMod!

Edit: Uploaded from Steam.

jebus that boss didn't look as intimidating as it does in HD

Vorg

Banned
Yeah... Last time I played I had 35 on the humanity counter and about 250k souls. Lost it all in the painted world and decided to call it a day. Oh well. Back to farming those blue squid head things in the Duke's Archives I guess.

Can anyone help me? I don't know why, but I'm getting 100% CPU usage when playing, and my GPU isn't doing very much. Although my FPS counter says I'm running at 30 solid, it looked like Blightown, everywhere. This comes and goes, it's not solid, it's fine for 30-45 seconds, and then it gets messed up for 30-45 seconds, and repeats.

Zzoram

Can anyone help me? I don't know why, but I'm getting 100% CPU usage when playing, and my GPU isn't doing very much. Although my FPS counter says I'm running at 30 solid, it looked like Blightown, everywhere. This comes and goes, it's not solid, it's fine for 30-45 seconds, and then it gets messed up for 30-45 seconds, and repeats.

AMD?

Radeon cards apparently have some issue where the game doesn't fully use the GPU. There is a rather hilarious solution in the dsfix thread.

Top Bottom