• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

KoL

Anyone sl 90-100?
I rarely see a sign and when I see one I get "Summoning Failed" :-S

I hate Four Kings in NG+. They are kicking my ass and Witch Beatrice is useless.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Has this been talked about yet? (spoilers for PTD content+Vanilla) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JojEx3pwuE&feature=player_detailpage#t=848s

So god damn awesome. The atmosphere/emotion/storytelling is brilliant without even using words. I love that they put that much detail/fanservice in the game.
Looking forward to more of the EpicNameBro lore series, definitely check out his videos if you haven't.

Aw, so since it was the color of a black phantom I guess it was in the guy's world that I invaded and not mine :|

2AdEPT

Wow fuck this game. I don't know what the fuck I am doing wrong but
I fight my way through all the skeletons (that can kill me in three hits) only to run into giant bull that kills me almost instantly
and sets me back half an hour. Over and over again. I have tried all sorts of swords, axes and shields. Am I supposed to have magic or some shit? I don't know because the game didn't explain shit. I had fire balls at one time but not anymore.

I get it. It's supposed to be hardkore but I can only die so many fucking times.

sometimes the game asks you try ingenuity instead of brute force.....are there any items, say on a
ledge?
cough,,,,that you could throw on a
fire
cough...that might lure the bull into the
fire
cough cough?

Any help?

stability is the most important aspect of shields...so any shield upgraded has higher stability than the base...but each shield has a lot of good specialties..so I carry lots...crest for magic, dragon for fire, spider for toxic, etc etc....the grass crest +10 does it for me as the main though as I 2 hand weapons past a certain point.,,,and its useful on my back. now that the eagle shied is nerfed its as good as it gets for low stat req. shields.

Zeth

The Dark Souls guide is the only guide I've bought this gen. If it's still out there, I can't recommend it enough. It's like an encyclopedia of awesome. It's just really useful to have an index of everything for a game like this. Of course you can also use the internet, but I find the paper more romantic.

No I am on in/on a castle looking area with archers and fire throwers. And a giant knight that fucks my day up so I sneak past him.

Might not be super effective but you can bait the bull into running into the burning objects for a bit of damage.

Yo Gotti

Banned
I fight my way through all the skeletons (that can kill me in three hits) only to run into giant bull that kills me almost instantly
and sets me back half an hour. Over and over again. I have tried all sorts of swords, axes and shields. Am I supposed to have magic or some shit? I don't know because the game didn't explain shit. I had fire balls at one time but not anymore.

I get it. It's supposed to be hardkore but I can only die so many fucking times.

Ah, the Boar.

Be smart about taking it down. Only higher level players with the best Greatshields can block that things attacks on head on and not get rammed down. You obviously can't fight it head on or outrun it.

Here's a few hints if you want them for how to take it down.

Go around up to the top where the archers are, roll carefully and you can plant a dropping attack right on it's head, this will nearly kill it if it doesn't outright.

Use the Luring Skull(?) to lure it into the fire. This is easiest.

Stab it in the ass, my least favorite method because you have to be quick and put yourself in a lot of danger

4. Use magic.

Clevinger

Are you talking about the graveyard near the beginning? Because you're not supposed to go through that yet.

Go the other way.

No, he's talking about the
boar in Undead Parish

I have a tip if you're stuck.

Along the way you should have found an item that you can throw to attract an enemy to the spot where it lands. When you go out into the open where the boar is, run to the right between those pillars, up the stairs a little (just so you're out of his reach). You'll be safe there from it. Kill the skeleton guys who come after you.

The boar should be near you, and there should be a big fire near you as well. You need to throw that item into the fire, which will make the boar walk into it and commit suicide. It may take more than one time of doing that to kill him though.

If you haven't found the item I'm talking about, then you can try leading the boar into the fire by using yourself as bait. It will be dangerous, but if you can't beat him any other way you should try it.

CronoShot

No I am on in/on a castle looking area with archers and fire throwers. And a giant knight that fucks my day up so I sneak past him.

Ah. Well there's no real tricks to that part. You can probably cheese the boar if you have a bow or magic. IIRC he doesn't follow you down the stairs near the closed gate if you want to hit and run. You can also backstab him like any other human sized enemy, weirdly enough.

And yes, don't bother with the knight. Not yet.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I guess there is the
luring him into the fire trick.
Forgot all about that.

One big rule for Souls game: If it looks menacing, or if it looks too safe... you probably shouldn't go there.

Are you talking about the boss on the wall between two towers? Best way to kill him is immediately after aggroing run back towards the door you came in and go up the ladder to the left (kill the archers up here before spawning the boss). When hes right below run off the tower and hit attack to do a drop attack. Roll/run back to the ladder and do another drop attack immediately, if you wait too long he will jump up on the tower. Do it a couple of times and hes dead.

EDIT:
Actually if its the boar across the bridge with the dragon just go through the door on the right of the area, this leads to the bridge thing with the archers. Kill them and shoot arrows or fire bombs (you can get these at the first vendor) at the boar till its dead

lol, i was going to try the
red dragon on the bridge
but he ran away as soon i made on the other side.

Left me kinda ":|".

If you stand on the lower part of the bridge you can shoot a few dozen arrows at his tail untill it breaks off and you get a sweet sward.

Yo Gotti

Banned
lol, i was going to try the
red dragon on the bridge
but he ran away as soon i made on the other side.

Left me kinda ":|".

If you want to try fighting him head on.

Go up the staircase in the middle of the bridge, and stand right in front of one of the walls on the left or right side, facing him. His fire can't hit you here. If you stay here long enough, he'll fly down from his perch and land right in the middle of the bridge, where you can attack him head on.

Go ahead, give it a shot. :)

Man, I decided to clear out the
catacombs before I went to Sens Fortress so I could finally upgrade my longsword on the fire path. I was not having a good night. I died more on my way through the catacombs than I did leading up to tonight. I finally made it all the way to the bottom and killed off all the wheel skeletons just to be reminded that you have to fall down the pit first to reach the Blacksmith before he busts open the wall. So I climbed back up and fell back down upgraded my longsword to a fire longsword +5 and took my frustrations out on poor Pinwheel.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Cool. I'm a solo kind of dude so I'll probably be fine.

Also, is Claymore still viable for a Pyro build after they slowed it down? I'm following this character guide:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Flammeus+Anima+Blade

Thoughts?

That's a PvP-oriented build, which means it's a bit poorly optimized if you're planning on sticking to solo play. It also leans fairly heavily on some things that have been nerfed. If you want to use it as a template for a single-player Intelligence-focused build in the PC version I think it'd work just fine with the following changes:

1. You can basically ignore the Pyromancy end of things. Any build can make good use of Pyromancy, but upgrading your Pyromancy takes nearly half a million souls that you could put to good use elsewhere. There's very little need to mix Pyromancy and Sorcery in PvE; the only time you'd want both simultaneously is for fighting other players.

2. The 4 points into Faith can be spent elsewhere. The only reason you'd want the Heal Miracle is for invading people. The Estus Flask is disabled when invading, hence why the build has Heal. If you're not invading you can just use your Flask to heal all the time.

3. Without Pyromancy and Heal you don't need 7 Attunement slots. I think that's excessive even for PvP, but a non-PvP build pretty much never needs more than 5, which you attain at 19 Attunement. That frees up another 9 points.

4. Put the 13 points saved by dropping the Attunement and Faith stats into Vitality and Endurance. 30 is pretty much the bare minimum Vitality I consider for any build, and Endurance is worthwhile for any build up to 40 points.

5. If you're going to 16 Strength the Moonlight Greatsword is pretty much completely better than an Enchanted Claymore in every single way. With the greatsword swing speed nerf, however, I'm inclined to favor the Moonlight Butterfly Horn for 50 Int builds instead. If you use that you can actually drop your Strength to 12, freeing up another 4 points for Vitality and Endurance.

6. The Dark Wood Grain Ring is totally nerfed to the point of uselessness in the PC version. Drop it for something else. Anything else.

That'll get you a solid single-player Int build capable of using all Sorceries in the game and also being quite survivable. If you're not going to be summoning help for bosses there's really no way around tanking some hits -- especially on a first playthrough -- which that build isn't really all that suited to doing without getting some more points into Vitality and Endurance.

Before the game was released on PC, I saw a lot of people talking about Blighttown and the framerate etc, but no one ever said the place fucking sucks. lol. Too much platforming, a confusing layout, ladders that are hidden, lots of poison etc. I had to summon someone then try to get them to lead me where I had to go. Now that I know, it's not so bad but still the worst part of the game for me thus far.

As an aside, I hadn't been invaded since the game was released until last night. However, the first time
it didn't appear to be another player, but some guy from within the game. Kirk of somewhere? Only reason I figured it not to be another player was due to the fact that I got a shield from him that has his name on it.
I was invaded 3 times after that and dealt with them all rather easily. My Greater Soul Arrows deal around 400 damage, so a couple of hits took them all down.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
yeah!! biggies smalls and puff daddy taste my red hot balls

of fire.

chilling in the painted world then I'm off to place the lord vessel.

Can I access the dlc after I place this ?

Deadstar

You guys do realize that Dark Souls has been the second best selling game on steam since release and that it has been in the top 10 most played steam games for most of these last few days. What are the opinions on this?

CronoShot

Before the game was released on PC, I saw a lot of people talking about Blighttown and the framerate etc, but no one ever said the place fucking sucks. lol. Too much platforming, a confusing layout, ladders that are hidden, lots of poison etc. I had to summon someone then try to get them to lead me where I had to go. Now that I know, it's not so bad but still the worst part of the game for me thus far.

As an aside, I hadn't been invaded since the game was released until last night. However, the first time
it didn't appear to be another player, but some guy from within the game. Kirk of somewhere? Only reason I figured it not to be another player was due to the fact that I got a shield from him that has his name on it.
I was invaded 3 times after that and dealt with them all rather easily. My Greater Soul Arrows deal around 400 damage, so a couple of hits took them all down.

Yeah, there's certain NPC invaders that can appear throughout the game. They usually drop rare equipment.

Mupod

I was farming Darkwraiths for slabs and then I realized that I'm DAY MAN, FIGHTER OF THE NIGHT MAN.

i3YWMVAu4JID7.jpg

Now that I've done like 5 runs without even taking a hit I might as well pop some humanity.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
That's a PvP-oriented build, which means it's a bit poorly optimized if you're planning on sticking to solo play. It also leans fairly heavily on some things that have been nerfed. If you want to use it as a template for a single-player Intelligence-focused build in the PC version I think it'd work just fine with the following changes:

1. You can basically ignore the Pyromancy end of things. Any build can make good use of Pyromancy, but upgrading your Pyromancy takes nearly half a million souls that you could put to good use elsewhere. There's very little need to mix Pyromancy and Sorcery in PvE; the only time you'd want both simultaneously is for fighting other players.

2. The 4 points into Faith can be spent elsewhere. The only reason you'd want the Heal Miracle is for invading people. The Estus Flask is disabled when invading, hence why the build has Heal. If you're not invading you can just use your Flask to heal all the time.

3. Without Pyromancy and Heal you don't need 7 Attunement slots. I think that's excessive even for PvP, but a non-PvP build pretty much never needs more than 5, which you attain at 19 Attunement. That frees up another 9 points.

4. Put the 13 points saved by dropping the Attunement and Faith stats into Vitality and Endurance. 30 is pretty much the bare minimum Vitality I consider for any build, and Endurance is worthwhile for any build up to 40 points.

5. If you're going to 16 Strength the Moonlight Greatsword is pretty much completely better than an Enchanted Claymore in every single way. With the greatsword swing speed nerf, however, I'm inclined to favor the Moonlight Butterfly Horn for 50 Int builds instead. If you use that you can actually drop your Strength to 12, freeing up another 4 points for Vitality and Endurance.

6. The Dark Wood Grain Ring is totally nerfed to the point of uselessness in the PC version. Drop it for something else. Anything else.

That'll get you a solid single-player Int build capable of using all Sorceries in the game and also being quite survivable. If you're not going to be summoning help for bosses there's really no way around tanking some hits -- especially on a first playthrough -- which that build isn't really all that suited to doing without getting some more points into Vitality and Endurance.

Wow, thanks for that!

butts

I'm either really unlucky or a ton of people are playing this, because every time I turn human I get invaded within a few minutes. Seems like location doesn't matter. Also, I might be extra-paranoid but I swear it even detects failed invasions, because a lot of times I will be chilling by a bonfire and it wont let me access it for a minute or so, as if it is blocking access to it like I am currently invaded. Weird.

Grief.exe

I just finished Blighttown, but I'm still using the Drake Sword and it's starting to feel a little... underpowered. Which weapon should I be looking to pick up around level 45?

Find a weapon that you really like and upgrade it to +10 before you go to Sen's.

I chose the Balder sword and really liked it, its a little underpowered but if you time it right you can get a lot of hits off and do a lot of dps.

Find something with a moveset that you like and go with it.

This, and with better support the next time, as well.

Now that I've gotten a chance to play it, I know what all the hype is about.

I don't preorder many games because of my good backlog that allows me to just play that while I wait for games to drop down to the $5-$10 range, but day one for Dark Souls 2.

I really hope they hand off development to a studio that specializes in this kind of stuff next time.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Guys I really know nothing about this game and need help, so I'm still at the undead burg, I reached the point right after the bonfire where there is a black knight who kicks my ass and the other way is some stairs that take you up into a cylinderical hall and you have the choice to go up or down. So I go down and I get one shotted by a silver knight, am I suposed to even go that way? Am I supposed to go up?

Ridley327

Guys I really know nothing about this game and need help, so I'm still at the undead burg, I reached the point right after the bonfire where there is a black knight who kicks my ass and the other way is some stairs that take you up into a cylinderical hall and you have the choice to go up or down. So I go down and I get one shotted by a silver knight, am I suposed to even go that way? Am I supposed to go up?

You are supposed to go up, but if you couldn't tell by the white door and the messages on the ground, you're due for your first real boss fight.

Orayn

Yeah, ascending that tower takes you to the first non-tutorial boss. Ignore Havel (silver dude) and the black knight for the time being.

GO FORTH, CHOSEN UNDEAD!

You are supposed to go up.

You can only go down if you took the ,aster key as your gift. Normally you can't get to that area where you go down for a long long time you till you get a different key.

In general here is a good rule of thumb: if you block and they take off your entire endurance bar and a lot of your life, come back later. Also if any enemy can one shot you, wait until later; there is always somewhere else you can go.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Google is failing me and it's not in the OP so... How do you access the new DLC stuff and when in the game should it be tackled?

Grief.exe

FUCK that Capra Demon...

There actually is a real easy way to beat him.
the drop down method, run past him and up the stairs on the left, disptach the dogs there. Go to the back corner and wait for the demon to follow you, he will fall. Fall off and press light attack, rinse and repeat.

He is actually easy to beat head on as well, he really telegraphs his moves and you can easily roll under them or strafe around.

I just learned this basically last night when I was fighting the Andor Lando bosses, was you should aim to be under 50% equip weight so you can roll significantly faster. I was playing the whole game at about 80% equip weight, made me a better player but massively gimped me.

First time in Dark Souls.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Its accessed where the hydra is in dark root basin. You'll need to have at least started Dukes Archive.
I also recommend to do the new DLC content BEFORE fighting
Sif
in the forest. If you meet certain conditions in the DLC content you get a new cutscene when you fight him.

zkylon

zkylewd
There actually is a real easy way to beat him.
the drop down method, run past him and up the stairs on the left, disptach the dogs there. Go to the back corner and wait for the demon to follow you, he will fall. Fall off and press light attack, rinse and repeat.

He is actually easy to beat head on as well, he really telegraphs his moves and you can easily roll under them or strafe around.

I just learned this basically last night when I was fighting the Andor Lando bosses, was you should aim to be under 50% equip weight so you can roll significantly faster. I was playing the whole game at about 80% equip weight, made me a better player but massively gimped me.

First time in Dark Souls.
I just unknowingly did that, only using magic, but I really don't know how you're supposed to beat that guy otherwise. Would've been much easier without the dogs.

Onto the depths I guess :)

Too bad I lost all my humanity to that guy though...

Grief.exe

I just unknowingly did that, only using magic, but I really don't know how you're supposed to beat that guy otherwise. Would've been much easier without the dogs.

Onto the depths I guess :)

Ya the first time I went in there I totally wasn't expecting that. The boss bar came up, small ass area, two dogs...I was just running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

I should have been recording, the sheer panic would have been hilarious.

Zeliard

I have to say, I miss the curse stacking. It was harsh but it made the Depths the most terrifying level I've probably ever played.

Ridley327

I have to say, I miss the curse stacking. It was harsh but it made the Depths the most terrifying level I've probably ever played.

How did curses originally work? I noticed that you don't actually have to go to the lowest level if you can avoid it, and the bug-eyed beasties weren't nearly as crazy as they looked.

Zeliard

How did curses originally work? I noticed that you don't actually have to go to the lowest level if you can avoid it, and the bug-eyed beasties weren't nearly as crazy as they looked.

They used to stack, meaning the first curse reduced your health bar by 50%, second would reduce that health bar by another 50%, and the third again by 50%. So you could be cursed three times and end up with 1/8th of your total health bar.

They then patched it so it doesn't stack at all.

Top Bottom