• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

How did curses originally work? I noticed that you don't actually have to go to the lowest level if you can avoid it, and the bug-eyed beasties weren't nearly as crazy as they looked.

First curse half your life. Second curse halfed again etc.. You could end up with a sliver of life and have to make it back out and save up enough for a cure.

Revenile

Ridley, the way curses worked was when your curse meter was full you died instantly, and your health was halved until you got a purging stone. If you got killed by curse again while still being cursed, your health is halved again, so you only have 1/4th your total life bar. Then a third cursing halved it to 1/8

So, I'm level 98 right now (playing the original version on PS3), and been rocking the Lightning Claymore+5 for a good while now, but I'm thinking of switching main weapons, since its starting to feel a little underpowered on NG+. As a massive Claymore fan, what would be a nice switch for me? STR is 29 and DEX = 20 at the moment.

What do you guys recommend?

Ridley327

They used to stack, meaning the first curse reduced your health bar by 50%, second would reduce that health bar by another 50%, and the third again by 50%. So you could be cursed three times and end up with 1/8th of your total health bar.

They then patched it so it doesn't stack at all.

First curse half your life. Second curse halfed again etc.. You could end up with a sliver of life and have to make it back out and save up enough for a cure.

Ridley, the way curses worked was when your curse meter was full you died instantly, and your health was halved until you got a purging stone. If you got killed by curse again while still being cursed, your health is halved again, so you only have 1/4th your total life bar. Then a third cursing halved it to 1/8

Lucky me, then!

Taruranto

You guys are insane lol.

I was cursed 3-4 times as i climbed back
The Great Hollow
and it was a fucking nightmare. I can't even image doing it with 1/8 of my life bar.

Anyway, did a lot of things today. Cleared
Sen's fortress, killed the Hydra in Darkroot Basin
and got a Crow there that makes me do fffffreacking insane magic damage. Though i kinda look but-ugly with it.

KSai

I love the bandit's knife. I've never riposted black knights consistently before. Picking a new weapon to focus on with each playthrough never disappoints.

I love the bandit's knife. I've never riposted black knights consistently before. Picking a new weapon to focus on with each playthrough never disappoints.

it doesn't does it? I wasn't sure what I was going to go with on this round, half-heartedly levelling up a claymore, then the first titanite demon dropped a catchpole and we are sorted! limited moves but it hits so hard for this early in the game and a quick side trip down great hollow had it +5 in no time.

KSai

They fixed the framerate of Blight Town. That should be enough for you.

Holy crap I just riposted a snake man. This game.

web01

Yeah it really changes the way you play the game.
Been using the bandits knife this play through myself and it is an interesting weapon.
It has a low damage output so really need to rely on bleed build-up and back stabs.
Fighting the giants and imps in Anor Londo was hell but alot of fun.

Orayn

is the performance significantly better than the console versions?

With the exception of a handful of small problem areas, the game is 30 FPS locked, whereas the console versions could only manage 30ish even in the least graphically demanding areas. Instead of Blighttown being a morass of <20 FPS, it now has a few weird camera angles that might be less than 30 if you run Durante's mod and don't have a super fast GPU.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ah, the joys of going to the Tomb of Giants before you are EVEN AWARE THAT THERE'S A LOWER UNDEAD BURG

arrrghhhjaghshhjgejhtgajd

I love this game

zkylon

zkylewd
I have to say, I miss the curse stacking. It was harsh but it made the Depths the most terrifying level I've probably ever played.
Clearly this must be it. First time playing Dark Souls and the Depths have been pretty easy so far (until the boss one-hit-killed-me lol).

Also, that guy setting a shop selling swords at 10k souls a piece in a corner of a rotten, abandoned sewer has a terrible real estate agent...

FtHTiny

What is it with pvp-players getting instant mad after loosing one invasion.
It doesn´t even matter what you do it´s always lame.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Still can't beat
Mangus.
It is only possible to
summon Sif
if you haven't already killed him, right?

No,
the only requirement to summon him is to see the little scene with him in the Chasm of the Abyss. It's through an illusory wall just to your left when you emerge from the shortcut elevator. Your first time through the Chasm a little illusion of Alvina actually appears briefly to show it to you.

What is it with pvp-players getting instant mad after loosing one invasion.
It doesn´t even matter what you do it´s always lame.

Even on the PS3 version, where typing of rage messages required typing with a controller, people would still send them on occasion. Now that everybody's got a keyboard it seems like message frequency has increased by an order of magnitude.

I do not think this represents an improvement.

Antagon

Clearly this must be it. First time playing Dark Souls and the Depths have been pretty easy so far (until the boss one-hit-killed-me lol).

Also, that guy setting a shop selling swords at 10k souls a piece in a corner of a rotten, abandoned sewer has a terrible real estate agent...

Sounds like you got throuGh the depths without getting cursed at all.

wsippel

Banned
FUCK that Capra Demon...
Had a ton of problems with that fucker - until I got it. The guy is a pushover if it wasn't for the dogs.
As soon as you step through the gate, sprint to the back and up the stairs, to the far end of the ledge. The Capra demon won't hit you there, and you can kill the dogs without having to worry about him (the dogs will follow you). Heal if necessary, jump down (jump attack if he's standing right below you), lock on and keep your shield up, and hit him after his attacks. You can easily block his normal attacks, but not the two moves using both swords at the same time. If you see him do one of those, roll back. The fight might take a while that way, but it's pretty easy. If you need to heal, remember the ledge.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Stupid question and sorry if its been answered before. But can you plug in a 360 controller and it will work right away no issues?

Eusis

Stupid question and sorry if its been answered before. But can you plug in a 360 controller and it will work right away no issues?
People have talked about some run/walk bug, but otherwise yes. I think you can even do it mid game, I forgot to enable my PS3 controller, did it, and it worked in-game unlike most other games where rebooting is the only option.

Parakeetman

People have talked about some run/walk bug, but otherwise yes. I think you can even do it mid game, I forgot to enable my PS3 controller, did it, and it worked in-game unlike most other games where rebooting is the only option.

Cheers mate! Much appreciated on the answer :D Oh nice so you can get a PS3 controller working too no problem also then? Thats even better if so!

zkylon

zkylewd
You know, where the Capra Demon is.
Finding the Lower Undead Burg was the moment in which Dark Souls won my heart.

Sounds like you got throuGh the depths without getting cursed at all.
Yeah, I did get hit by rats and the toxic cloud of the frog monsters a couple times and I almost got eaten by one of the slimes, but still wasn't a big deal. Full thief armor set seems to be pretty effective.

Had a ton of problems with that fucker - until I got it. The guy is a pushover if it wasn't for the dogs.
As soon as you step through the gate, sprint to the back and up the stairs, to the far end of the ledge. The Capra demon won't hit you there, and you can kill the dogs without having to worry about him (the dogs will follow you). Heal if necessary, jump down (jump attack if he's standing right below you), lock on and keep your shield up, and hit him after his attacks. You can easily block his normal attacks, but not the two moves using both swords at the same time. If you see him do one of those, roll back. The fight might take a while that way, but it's pretty easy. If you need to heal, remember the ledge.
The first few seconds in which you dodge his first blow and run towards the stairs define if you survive or not. If you get stuck between the dogs you're dead.

Apparently you have to plug it in before launching the game, but yeah, it works great for me, and you can transition between M&K and controller fast. Not keyboard button prompts though, so better stick to a controller.

wsippel

Banned
Cheers mate! Much appreciated on the answer :D Oh nice so you can get a PS3 controller working too no problem also then? Thats even better if so!
You'll need MotioninJoy to use a PS3 controller, it emulates a 360 pad. I started using the 360 pad, but it simply didn't feel right (using the flimsy bumpers to attack and block for example). The PS3 pad is much better for this game in my opinion.

Parakeetman

You'll need MotioninJoy to use a PS3 controller, it emulates a 360 pad. I started using the 360 pad, but it simply didn't feel right (using the flimsy bumpers to attack and block for example). The PS3 pad is much better for this game in my opinion.

Thanks for this info will pass it onto others who wanted to know this :D Im too used to playing on a PS controller think that trying to play on a 360 one would mess me up lol

KSai

The first few seconds in which you dodge his first blow and run towards the stairs define if you survive or not. If you get stuck between the dogs you're dead.

A fast weapon like the bandit's knife can save you from the dogs. Slashed them to pieces and then took on Capra no problem.

Eusis

Thanks for this info will pass it onto others who wanted to know this :D Im too used to playing on a PS controller think that trying to play on a 360 one would mess me up lol
That shitty D-Pad would mess you up no matter how much more comfortable you got with the 360 controller otherwise. Though the PS3 is a bit more comfortable for the claw anyway on the right side (using my index finger to hold down circle while manipulating the camera with the thumb) while it's outright possible on the PS3 controller (whenever I want to change items while moving).

Zeal

Banned
Just wanted to say it's amazing how well this game holds up a year after release and how utterly beautiful the resolution patch makes it look. A game really shows its worth when you can pick it up X amount of years after you've played it and be as amazed as the first time. Not to mention the replaybility is endless.

Finally getting closer to exploring the new content. What a masterpiece.

Parakeetman

That shitty D-Pad would mess you up no matter how much more comfortable you got with the 360 controller otherwise. Though the PS3 is a bit more comfortable for the claw anyway on the right side (using my index finger to hold down circle while manipulating the camera with the thumb) while it's outright possible on the PS3 controller (whenever I want to change items while moving).

I still dont believe after all this time and constant bitching by pretty much everyone whos used a 360 controller they have not yet released a version with a better Dpad. Besides that one super limited version waaaaay back when...

wsippel

Banned
So, at Firelink Shrine, I entered the ruins with the atrium and the statue in the back and hear someone snoring. Any meaning to that? I don't see anyone sleeping there...

Jeramii

Banned
I don't know if this person is a member of NeoGaf. But I just want to publicly thank user: "The Red Soul" for making my evening at Dark Soul's slightly more enjoyable.

The challenging to do alone boss fight in Anor Londo he helped me through. It took a few attempts due to invasions, and other issues with enemies. (note, the invader was either lagging bad or cheating. because i got back stabbed twice when he was in front of me. it spun me around and stabbed me. it also did it to The Red Soul). Anyway. After failed attempts, he messaged me on his own free will saying. Hey, wanna try again?

Anyway. I appreciated the help. I've met lots of other cool people in the community as well. Just wanted to mention this person.

Antagon

Yeah, I did get hit by rats and the toxic cloud of the frog monsters a couple times and I almost got eaten by one of the slimes, but still wasn't a big deal. Full thief armor set seems to be pretty effective.

That toxic cloud is the curse attack. If you got hit by it you would've died instantly and have your max health halved after respawning a the bonfire.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Woo, killed (DLC spoiler)
Kalameet and cut off his tail for the obsydian greatsword
. Just leveled myself up to 40 to wield it. The special attack doesn't seem to be practical for pvp but at this level the damage is pretty good.

Zaventem

Are physical weapons downright inferior to elementals?

No elementals got nerfed again.
Just because it shows a high dmg number doesn't mean that's the dmg the weapon will inflict.Elemental have to go through 2 defenses doing even less dmg and physical can buff weapons.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Are physical weapons downright inferior to elementals?
No, but it depends on your levels. They fixed the scaling and nerfed elementals a little for this PC version. A claymore+15 and enough levels in STR/DEX will be stronger than a lightning claymore +5 for example. And you can add additional enchantments with spells/miracles to it on top of that. Basically, if you're going to stay low leveled with low stats, then elementals will probably be stronger in most cases, but if you plan to go to a high SL then you're better off with normal scaling weapons.

Tanaldion

Neo Member
Just had an awful PvP experience with somebody that I believe was hacking. Dodged attacks, got behind him and hit him many times, and all of it did absolutely no damage. He was definitely not blocking and often didn't even have a shield out. While it's possible it was something else, I feel it was too consistent. Pretty aggravating.

Top Bottom