• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

IoCaster

I still don't know what I'm doing and it took me a dozen tries but I finally killed some big armored dude in Undead Burg. Bastard was tough and didn't drop anything worthwhile like I was hoping. I guess I'll shut it down for now and figure out where to go next when I play tomorrow. It's a hard game and my pace is slow since I'm not looking anything up, but I'm still plugging along.

dino1980

Im farming at Anor lando first firelink. Taking down the big knights on both sides of the firelink generates about 13000 souls (with exp boost 44%) in 85 seconds. Thats about 550 000 souls/h.

Is there a bether place that generates more souls for a sorcerer?

dino1980

Any tips for the fighting (NEW DLC BOSS)
Artosis

That one was a pain for a sorcerer. Tried 20 times to take him down with a new strategy that worked for me.
Did it by using crystal soul spear and soul spear. To defend his hard hitting attacks i used strong magic shield. When hes standing still and charging I rescharged my shield with strong magic shield.

Might be a longshot question, but has anybody tried this with the FF14 pad? (I really do not want to install motionjoy on my computer, I had enough of it on my laptop.)

Zzoram

In case anyone was wondering, you can still farm for souls in Darkroot Garden.

I'm pretty sure that area is meant to be farmed like that. There is a whole covenant for hunting people who farm there, so they must've made it a good farm spot on purpose to keep people there so they can be hunted.

NBtoaster

Starting to regret ignoriing vitality. I might have incredibly powerful spells but most bosses kill in one hit..

The final DLC boss is destroying me and there's no one around to help :(

Hzoltan69

Just out of curiosity: what were your first impressions of the game, guys?

I got really interested in the game after reading a lot of posts in several different forums, but when I started up the game it was a huge disappointment. Graphics was downright ugly (even with Durante's awesome mod), controls felt clunky and unresponsive, character animation was really bad - all in all it felt I was playing a very unprofessional and unpolished game from 10 years ago.

I keep reading the forums, and I'm really wondering - does the game get a whole lot better if I give it a real try (I just played until the end of the asylum) or given the above first impression should I just forget it?

Mendrox

Awesome, now I will be able to get through this game even faster.

Killed Capra Demon tonight too and the Gargoyles also. Playtime 110 Minutes... whooot.
Last year in october I needed about 10-12 hours I guess. :) This game is really a skill game and I have so much fun again.

Zzoram

Just out of curiosity: what were your first impressions of the game, guys?

I got really interested in the game after reading a lot of posts in several different forums, but when I started up the game it was a huge disappointment. Graphics was downright ugly (even with Durante's awesome mod), controls felt clunky and unresponsive, character animation was really bad - all in all it felt I was playing a very unprofessional and unpolished game from 10 years ago.

I keep reading the forums, and I'm really wondering - does the game get a whole lot better if I give it a real try (I just played until the end of the asylum) or given the above first impression should I just forget it?

The game looks good mostly due to atmosphere and art direction.

The melee combat is awesome because everything is so weighty and not instant. It actually takes time to swing a weapon, and that time varies with weapon size/weight.

Try to keep playing with a focus on mastering the melee combat. If you can get good at it, you may like the game more.

Sarcasm

I don't understand how someone can be so wrong.

The melee combat is awesome because everything is so weighty and not instant. It actually takes time to swing a weapon, and that time varies with weapon size/weight.

Try to keep playing with a focus on mastering the melee combat. If you can get good at it, you may like the game more.

That really doesn't address any of what he says. I agree the weapon combat is awesome but the controls are still clunky and kinda bad lol.

Shinjica

Yeah, farm souls in the Darkroot Garden, farm it all the day.

mr_burns.gif

FtHTiny

I start to believe that my soullevel is to high for pvp right now. I think a new char around the 60s would give me more action. right now i find 1-2 persons in 1 hour but only these 2 and noone else.
SL110 is pretty barren right now.

Visceir

I'm reading some Dark Souls stuff on tvtropes and can't stop laughing at this part:

Why do you find Paladin Leeroy's body and armor in Gravelord Nito's chamber? Remember how you can stir up skeletons by moving into certain places of the tomb, and how the fight is generally easier if you stay out of the southern area (where all of the Giant Skeletons are)? Looks like while Leeroy was attempting to fight the Gravelord himself, he lived up to his original namesake.

LEEEROY A JEEEEEEEEEEENKINS!!!

Shinjica

I start to believe that my soullevel is to high for pvp right now. I think a new char around the 60s would give me more action. right now i find 1-2 persons in 1 hour but only these 2 and noone else.
SL110 is pretty barren right now.

Have you tried joining
forest hunter covenant or darkmoon blade covenant
? You can invade people at any SL

Gvaz

Banned
Is it possible to get all armors? How many playthroughs does that take?

When you do a new game, does everything respawn such as the more unique level treasures?

FtHTiny

Is it possible to get all armors? How many playthroughs does that take?

When you do a new game, does everything respawn such as the more unique level treasures?

hm, i would say you need atleast half of new game+ to get every armor. And yes every chest respawns in new game+. So you get every armor from chest a second time for example.

I said "OMG" at the Capra Demon. I'm so glad I've grown wary
of those white screens and leave them for last
. I never stood a chance. I can't believe
you get attacked right off the bat by those fucking annoying dogs and the boss D:
Luckily I only had 2K souls at the time. I must have died in less than 10 seconds. It didn't help that my framerate seemed to be really choppy for some reason.

The way the levels connect is so damn good. Finding those shortcuts and seeing where they lead is really mindblowing at times. The level design in this is fantastic.

Has the dreadful Forest Covenant 'bug' been fixed yet?

I said "OMG" at the Capra Demon. I'm so glad I've grown wary
of those white screens and leave them for last
. I never stood a chance. I can't believe
you get attacked right off the bat by those fucking annoying dogs and the boss D:
Luckily I only had 2K souls at the time. I must have died in less than 10 seconds. It didn't help that my framerate seemed to be really choppy for some reason.

The way the levels connect is so damn good. Finding those shortcuts and seeing where they lead is really mindblowing at times. The level design in this is fantastic.

UGH!

That thing almost had me give up on the game.

derwalde

im playing with a claymore lightning +5 right now but i want to develop my char into a faith build. is the gargoyle halberd a good weapon to go for the divine upgrade path?

alternative would be balder side sword.

ijed

im playing with a claymore lightning +5 right now but i want to develop my char into a faith build. is the gargoyle halberd a good weapon to go for the divine upgrade path?
Thats what i did with mine to do catacombs with - was great - might revert it back and do a straight +15 with it at some point. fire/chaos is always good for it too and will prob outclass divine unless you crank up the faith

So I started a new pyromancer as I wasn't too impressed with the faith spells (eg force) of my last character.

I plan on mixing my upgrades half and half between melee abilities (strength and endurance) and half sorcery (int, attunement)

Is this gonna work or does the game reward a focus on just melee/just sorcery?

Haunted

Easily the most impressive thing about the game.

Yeah, they have to use a couple elevators to connect the different height levels, but there's no tricks involved, only two areas (with the DLC now three) are separated by loading screens and are physically located in a different place than the rest of the world.

Really, considering the scale of the whole game and the individual areas, having them logically connect like they do is a grand achievement. Impressive world design.

Shinjica

So I started a new pyromancer as I wasn't too impressed with the faith spells (eg force) of my last character.

I plan on mixing my upgrades half and half between melee abilities (strength and endurance) and half sorcery (int, attunement)

Is this gonna work or does the game reward a focus on just melee/just sorcery?

Pyromancy is not affected by INT but only from pyro glove level.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Praise the sun! I beat the
Taurus Demon
. After a few attempts that had me falling off the bridge by trying to cheese him with firebombs I decided to straight-up melee him to death. Pretty strange for a Pyromancer but it worked!

Pyromancy is not affected by INT but only from pyro glove level.

oh yeah, I didnt say there but really its about being a sorcerer (just way prefer pyromancer start class vs sorcerer), I plan on focusing on sorcery spells like soul arrows etc.

Actually, does int greatly affect power of spells like soul arrow or is it more about just unlocking new ones?

Sentenza

Praise the sun! I beat the
Taurus Demon
. After a few attempts that had me falling off the bridge by trying to cheese him with firebombs I decided to straight-up melee him to death. Pretty strange for a Pyromancer but it worked!
There was a much simpler way to handle that miniboss.

mattbison

Banned
Something is fishy!! I cant click the checkout button on GMG to buy Dark Souls.. I created a ticket and in my e-mail confirmation, the link that takes me to the status says that my case has been deleted or cannot be found.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I cannot backstab for my life!

while you can it's far easier to backstab by not locking on to an enemy.

I found this out by playing a no hud run on the ps3 version. I was getting backstabs 100% of the time.

edit: I forgot with the no hud option it still let you invisibly lock on to an enemy but for whatever reason it made back stabs extremely easy to pull off.

Audioboxer

Did they patch any bugs/exploits on the PC version? Hope when the DLC hits consoles some exploits can be fixed (bottomless box one for starters - I want to see the starting areas full of people with relevant weapons again :()

Top Bottom