• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

Social

Played a few hours on Xbox 360 on a 60 inch TV and it looks just as you expect an Xbox game to look. It runs great and looks fine. I dunno what everyone is freaking out about here. If you are used to Xbox 360 graphics, this is fine.

Waiting on my PC copy to arrive though.

Played a few hours on Xbox 360 on a 60 inch TV and it looks just as you expect an Xbox game to look. It runs great and looks fine. I dunno what everyone is freaking out about here. If you are used to Xbox 360 graphics, this is fine.

Did you install the game?

Maffis

Got really worried there for a second xD

Elhandro

GAF Bro

Need your advice: I am running a quad core 2GH, GT460, 4 GIGS OF RAM. But i already reserved a copy for X360.

Can I run the game @ 720p and 60fps or just go with the Xbox version

El

greenry

Yeah, sure. Just read on their forums and read that they said they're coming (I got the email which said my key was on the way on Friday), so I figured I'd wait.

For what it's worth I posted in that thread about not getting my key and it appeared 5 mins later. Give that a go.

tragic should direct DmC 2.

Just sayin

while I am one of the first to say that DSII will be a better game than DmC, I wouldn't go as far to say that the combat in Darksiders will be deeper overall.....yet. Yes their seems to be a lot more thought towards the hardcore and high level mechanics, but give capcom and NT a chance to put up the goods first.

That said, I do think virgil as developer, understands games way more than Ninja theory could ever do. If they were asked to do a DmC sequel, you would instantly know it was in safe hands.

Edit: can you imagine what a Joe Mad redesign of Dante would look like? I both shudder and am intrigued at the same time....one thing for sure is that his devil trigger would be beyond badass.

Gbraga

while I am one of the first to say that DSII will be a better game than DmC, I wouldn't go as far to say that the combat in Darksiders will be deeper overall.....yet. Yes their seems to be a lot more thought towards the hardcore and high level mechanics, but give capcom and NT a chance to put up the goods first.

That said, I do think virgil as developer, understands games way more than Ninja theory could ever do. If they were asked to do a DmC sequel, you would instantly know it was in safe hands.

Edit: can you imagine what a Joe Mad redesign of Dante would look like? I both shudder and am intrigued at the same time....one thing for sure is that his devil trigger would be beyond badass.

Yes, but tragic himself acknowledges that Darksiders is not as hardcore as DMC, because he did so intentionally, it's not a hack'n'slash after all.

He even have ideas to introduce more depth to the combat through patches. This guy knows his thing. I'm completely sure that he could do a full blown DMC if he so wanted.

That being said, I'm really excited about DmC, but even if it turns out great, Capcom had to teach Ninja Theory how to make good gameplay from scratch, because they really didn't know before, imagine with the prior knowledge of Darksiders II what they could acomplish.

One can only imagine.

Yes, but tragic himself acknowledges that Darksiders is not as hardcore as DMC, because he did so intentionally, it's not a hack'n'slash after all.

He even have ideas to introduce more depth to the combat through patches. This guy knows his thing. I'm completely sure that he could do a full blown DMC if he so wanted.

That being said, I'm really excited about DmC, but even if it turns out great, Capcom had to teach Ninja Theory how to make good gameplay from scratch, because they really didn't know before, imagine with the prior knowledge of Darksiders II what they could acomplish.

One can only imagine.

well I have said many times before, of all publishers out there, Capcom has the most to gain from buying out THQ. Its not something I want to happen by any means, but If they did, I believe Vigil would be much better off than if EA or activision bought the company.

so you never know.

There you go!
215412-146896-joe-madureira.jpg

Ammish

Banned
Pre-ordered Darksiders on the THQ website 8D

But I thought Metro 2033 is steamworks. So why is it giving me a download manager?

tragic

Developer
Man! Working on a Devil May Cry game would be one of my dreams come true. That being said, so has working on the Darksiders franchise. From just my own personal experience, sometimes you get what you asked for only to realize it wasn't what you wanted. I've worked on plenty of projects like that. Luckily, the team at Vigil really lets people loose and trusts the people they hire for the job. Many places aren't like that. I think that's why when you play DS or DS2 (soon!) you can really feel like it was made by people that love games. I know that we hear that a lot as game fans ("for gamers, by gamers!!!!") but I truly believe it means something at Vigil.

Our Dark Souls boss chart only confirmed to me I was in the right place. If you were wondering, when Demon's Souls came out (I wasn't working at Vigil then), they created a huge poster-sized boss chart for every major enemy in the game. Every morning, people would come in and cross off the bosses they defeated the previous night. I had the great pleasure of participating in the Dark Souls boss chart. It's awesome because there were like 30 or so people all playing Dark Souls and we'd come in each morning to stand around the board and talk about our adventures. Pretty badass imo!

Anyway, back to DMC! I'm always excited for a new entry in the series. I've liked a lot of what Ninja Theory has done before, and besides the character redesign, I think the game has a lot of potential. I don't think they will drop the ball on combat. They have a lot of pressure on their shoulders and I'm sure Capcom is going to lend a hand where they need to. The thing I've always liked about DMC and Bayo is that they are pure combat games. There's no mistaking what the primary focus is - to kick ass in style! I think Ninja Theory will bring their solid storytelling ability and combine it with classic DMC combat and we will get something really cool and unique.

Conversely, that isn't the main focus in DS2. You guys are absolutely right that the combat won't have the depth of DMC or Bayo, but you can absolutely rest assured that it is a dramatic improvement over the original Darksiders. The system is wide open and you can do a ton of different things. At the same time, you have tons of exploration, puzzles, loot, and a host of other RPG mechanics to really give you a unique game experience.

You guys/gals know all this anyway, but we are definitely excited by the positive feedback and overall anticipation we've received to our announcements and gameplay examples.

Ahh, the anticipation is killing me. I really can't wait for DS2 to come out! It's so weird that I'm more excited for the DS2 release than I have been for pretty much any other game ever. Especially since I've played it so many times (and even finished the retail 360 version 3x already!).

Gbraga

I'll gladly be tragic's first (I assume) dickrider. There you go tragiiiic.

And also, it may not have the intentional depth of DMC, but you never know right. You said yourself that crossblade canceling (the one thing that became the main element of DS1's combat) wasn't intentional.

Also, from what I've seen and read, I'm completely sure that it has more than enough depth to be up there with the best hack'n'slash games. Just the fact that it is a free form combat game instead of a dial-a-combo type of game already counts a lot IMO.

You knew the enemy always slam when you use the "devil bringer" (sorry, forgot the name. Deathgrip maybe?) on him, so you bait the slam with the devil bringer, cancel it into a reaper counter, and proceed to the "round trip-like" move.

That's some fighting game depth right there.

Suck it, Kratos.

tragic

Developer
Any comments about the reports of slowdown and screen tearing in the console versions, Tragic?

I'm not a tech guy so I tend to focus on what I feel the most knowledgeable about! Never know when someone is going to quote you so it might as well be something I am learned in! =)

I'll gladly be tragic's first (I assume) dickrider. There you go tragiiiic.

And also, it may not have the intentional depth of DMC, but you never know right. You said yourself that crossblade canceling (the one thing that became the main element of DS1's combat) wasn't intentional.

Be a fan of Vigil! No one person made this game. I'm still thankful that the guys that worked on combat in DS1 had the foresight to make such great tools for me to work with. John Tran (owner of War in DS1), and Howard Tang (along with David Adams and Haydn) really set a solid foundation. You can have all the money in the world, but if you don't have the right people, and the right tools, you can't fully realize your ideas.

I'm very interested to see if anything unintentional pops up. We definitely put in the time to make sure everything felt solid, responsive, and clean... but who knows! Maybe there will be a care package glitch! I kid, I kid!

Also, from what I've seen and read, I'm completely sure that it has more than enough depth to be up there with the best hack'n'slash games. Just the fact that it is a free form combat game instead of a dial-a-combo type of game already counts a lot IMO.

There was a lot of love that went into the combat system, that's for sure. There was also a lot of work that went into the DS1 combat system too. We tried to make everything bigger and better in DS2, and I think it shows through. Even trying to be as unbiased as I can be, I really think the combat flows well... but ultimately, it's up to you all, the fans.

tragic

Developer
I posted something similar on the official DS forums, but Execution works like this:

When an enemy is spawned into the world, they check Death's execution chance stat. If it's 10%, then there is a 10% chance that the enemy can be executed once they reach a certain level of health.

If the prompt appears, they can be executed instantly. There's no "fail" state after that. The prompt basically signifies... TIME TO DIE!

Not sure how high it can go, but I know that one of my most recent possessed weapons was at about 48% or so. Very strong for Apocalyptic and Nightmare Mode.

Dahbomb

Oh ok you have to get them down to a certain health to proc the execution. That makes much more sense. Would've been silly if you had a 50% chance to execute a mid sized enemy on the first strike.

I need this game injected inside me...STAT!!!

Zoibie

Still another week to go for us poor saps in Europe, but at least the soundtrack is up on Youtube. Only listened to the first few, but so far it's fantastic

.hacked

so exited, never finished Darksiders but I got caught up with gamespot's vids and I have the game preloaded in my steam account.

Dont know witch to play 1st Darksiders II or Sleeping Dogs. Going to be a good week for the PC master race.

I spoiled myself by watching one of the walk-through vids on youtube and
DSII War is much more bad-ass than DSI War. Wish his moves looked like that in the original.

If anything is an indicator of the quality jump, its that.

tragic

Developer
tragic's 5 things you need to know when starting DS2:

1) Explore - Don't Rush! (this is similar to Jeremy's suggestion).
There are a lot of secrets to be had... and there are even elements of the game that have not been revealed. These elements have a dramatic and permanent positive effect on Death.

2) Talk to Thane and pick up your FREE Harvester Revenge (Dash Scythe).
Being able to dash in with a multi-hitting strike which can also cancel into a Crossover... is super boss hogg status! Dash X, Y = GOOD (make sure you have a secondary equipped).

3) Save up for Meteor Strike (aerial downward dash... similar to C:LOS).
Aerial strikes do huge damage (especially Flipsaw and Hellraiser). However, sometimes an enemy will attempt to strike you while you are in mid-air. Quickly dash to the ground and then dash away as soon as you land. Safe!

4) Don't be afraid to come back when you are stronger.
Some stuff is purposely over leveled. Also, there are many secrets to be had when you have new tools. Don't forget!

5) Go Buck Wild / Experiment!
You can beat the entire game with X,X,X,X and Dodge. However, there are dozens and dozens of things you can do instead which are not only more stylish, they are more efficient (damaging).

BONUS! 6) HAVE FUN!

Gbraga

I'll be able to get it week one!

It's almost showtime!!!

Looks like xbox to me. I'd say it was PC with Xbox controller but I do not see PC anywhere on it.
Well, even though it would suck for PC gamers, I'd really like to see the PS3 version being very similar to this lol

Aerial strikes do huge damage (especially Flipsaw and Hellraiser). However, sometimes an enemy will attempt to strike you while you are in mid-air. Quickly dash to the ground and then dash away as soon as you land. Safe!

War had this same move no? One thing I loved to do in the original, for faster traversal purposes, would be to jump, Meteor strike, dash,repeat. The timing was iffy and more often than not i did it wrong, but if you timed it perfectly, each would cancel into each other with no delay. With Death being more agile, will this be easier to do?

1) Explore - Don't Rush! (this is similar to Jeremy's suggestion).
There are a lot of secrets to be had... and there are even elements of the game that have not been revealed. These elements have a dramatic and permanent positive effect on Death.

2) Talk to Thane and pick up your FREE Harvester Revenge (Dash Scythe).
Being able to dash in with a multi-hitting strike which can also cancel into a Crossover... is super boss hogg status! Dash X, Y = GOOD (make sure you have a secondary equipped).

4) Don't be afraid to come back when you are stronger.
Some stuff is purposely over leveled. Also, there are many secrets to be had when you have new tools. Don't forget!

5) Go Buck Wild / Experiment!
You can beat the entire game with X,X,X,X and Dodge. However, there are dozens and dozens of things you can do instead which are not only more stylish, they are more efficient (damaging).

BONUS! 6) HAVE FUN!

Interesting...

And thanks for the tips.

Top Bottom