• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders II |OT| What starts with War, ends with Death.

tragic

Developer
War had this same move no? One thing I loved to do in the original, for faster traversal purposes, would be to jump, Meteor strike, dash,repeat. The timing was iffy and more often than not i did it wrong, but if you timed it perfectly, each would cancel into each other with no delay. With Death being more agile, will this be easier to do?

In DS2, Death's Meteor Strike goes directly down. It also has... 'hidden' functionality. =)

Gbraga

Yeah, I was just making a guess. Trying to limit my exposure to gameplay so I won't be watching it. =P

I'm very sensitive to spoilers and I still think it's really worth watching that video.

The combat parts are beautiful.

Just look at this:

http://www.abload.de/img/deathcombate2u00.gif (won't put in on tags in case you really don't want even moves spoiled)

In DS2, Death's Meteor Strike goes directly down. It also has... 'hidden' functionality. =)

Oh boy

Dahbomb

tumblr_m55w5hgpSV1qhsoa5.gif

(Can be cancelled out of special moves in the air)

Would be baller.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone share a PC save from DS? I finished the first game on the 360, but I've purchased the sequel on Steam and I've heard there's something you get if the game detects a save from the first game.

Gbraga

Sorry if this has been asked before, but can anyone share a PC save from DS? I finished the first game on the 360, but I've purchased the sequel on Steam and I've heard there's something you get if the game detects a save from the first game.

It actually detects if you have the achievements, so it wouldn't really help you :/

So with all of the talk lately about death being more badass than the other horsemen, anyone less hyped about playing the remaining two horsemen in later installments?

So with all of the talk lately about death being more badass than the other horsemen, anyone less hyped about playing the remaining two horsemen in later installments?

Strife is either going to be great or a disaster. I'm iffy about him.

Im still hyped about fury. For some reason, I feel she should have some kind of "sonic scream" ability. I guess because her design makes me think of mortal kombat's shiva.

Gbraga

I think it would be a big challenge to make a combat as good as DSII's seems to be with gunkata, but if done right, would be so fantastic *_*

Does the Harvester from the first game become available at some point as a heavy weapon or, are all the heavy weapons axes, hammers and such?

Gun
Kata

Nuff said.

Limited in scope.

I don't think you could make a full game out of a gun kata style, it would be fun for sections of a game, but would wear thin quickly.

How would you handle move list upgrades and new weapons? While things like DMC's fireworks and shotgun stinger are nice ideas, those are one button moves at best.

My main point is to make a gun kata game serivcible and fun, you would essentially have to make a game far removed from what Darksiders currently is, while war's, death's and fury's playstyles complement each other much better.

TheExodu5

Banned
I really hope they fixed the microstuttering in the PC version for DS2. I'm playing through DS1 right now...the microstuttering really kills the fluidity of the game.

hlhbk

Wow I just defeated the Bat queen in my first DS1 play through and got to the next area. I thought the game world would be all dark and brown. Boy was I wrong! The next area is just amazing artistically!

BY2K

Membero Americo
Limited in scope.

I don't think you could make a full game out of a gun kata style, it would be fun for sections of a game, but would wear thin quickly.

How would you handle move list upgrades and new weapons? While things like DMC's fireworks and shotgun stinger are nice ideas, those are one button moves at best.

My main point is to make a gun kata game serivcible and fun, you would essentially have to make a game far removed from what Darksiders currently is, while war's, death's and fury's playstyles complement each other much better.

Vigil does have a hard road ahead if THQ gives the ok for Darksiders III. (Which I hope they do.)

And that's a good question. We could get the Harvester (THE Death Scythe) in Darksiders 1 with a code, is The Harvester in DS2?

Fury will >>>>>>>>>

Whip for combat + platforming ftw

Strife should be fun too if they make him the firearm stockpiling sibling. Guns on top of guns used WITHIN the combos. Miniguns that shoot demons, shotgun hammers, etc.

Peterthumpa

I really hope they fixed the microstuttering in the PC version for DS2. I'm playing through DS1 right now...the microstuttering really kills the fluidity of the game.

Ditto. But AFAIK, the stuttering is driver-related. I don't remember it when I started playing using the NVIDIA 290.XX drivers almost 2 years ago.

Also, the Giant Bomb quick look was on PC, and it seems pretty good there.

Fury will >>>>>>>>>

Whip for combat + platforming ftw

Strife should be fun too if they make him the firearm stockpiling sibling. Guns on top of guns used WITHIN the combos. Miniguns that shoot demons, shotgun hammers, etc.

Ya I think they'll find a way to make them fun gameplay wise for sure, it's just weird that in the lore he's clearly the strongest. Seems like that would make the future co-op game, should one ever exist, very tricky to balance.

forrest

formerly nacire
Limited in scope.

I don't really see why. Gun combos can exist as easily as sword or melee combos, but most games just seem to make you shoot when you hit the gun button. I could see chaining together many different gun attacks into a fluid stream of choreographed ballistic ballet. Add in some smart multi targeting for certain moves against multiple enemies, toss in some counter/evasive attacks, etc.

Heavy artillery could serve the function of slower weapons such as rockets, and then you could even mix in some explosives on top. Add in various effects to the ammo, such as damage over times, area of effects, plague where nearby enemies affect each other, maybe explode on impact for aoe. The ideas can go on and on.

You also don't have to limit it to all range, keeping some melee stuff will be nice for variety, not to mention who doesn't want to do some pistol whipping attacks when in close!

hlhbk

Ditto. But AFAIK, the stuttering is driver-related. I don't remember it when I started playing using the NVIDIA 290.XX drivers almost 2 years ago.

Also, the Giant Bomb quick look was on PC, and it seems pretty good there.

I am pretty sure its not driver releated. I went back to a sub 290.xx driver (went back to 285.79) and had the same issue.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Just watched a video of the first 20 minutes. Damn man this game seems hella impressive. I love ice areas. The music seems really atmospheric too.

KorrZ

I would really like to try both of these games.
They just don't seem to be A+, so my money usually goes else ware :p

That's where you're wrong!

Anyways, ONE DAY!!! I don't think I'm going to be getting much sleep tomorrow night... This game combined with the fact that I haven't bought any new releases since April, my hype is through the roof right now. All I've been doing is mashing F5 on this thread for the past week.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just finished DS1 a few minutes ago for the first time. Now I'm pumped more than ever for DS2. My only concern is that when they mentioned the size of the world being so much larger than DS1. The last major dungeon went on too long, and got too repetitive. That along with the forced fetch quest before the finale. I just hope that DS2 can keep things fresh throughout and not start to feel like a chore. That was really my only gripe, otherwise it was a pretty fantastic game. I think the loot factor will probably alleviate a lot of this though.

Kard8p3

Ya I think they'll find a way to make them fun gameplay wise for sure, it's just weird that in the lore he's clearly the strongest. Seems like that would make the future co-op game, should one ever exist, very tricky to balance.

Do you mean Death or Strife being the strongest? I'm a bit confused due to the wording.

I figured Death would be the strongest, so its a shocker if you mean Strife.

Lothars

I finally beat darksiders 1 and I thought it was really good. I really liked the ending and I know Darksiders II is more of a prequel/happening at the same time but I look forward to playing Darksider II even more now.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I would really like to try both of these games.
They just don't seem to be A+, so my money usually goes else ware :p

What is the point of post like these?

Do you mean Death or Strife being the strongest? I'm a bit confused due to the wording.

Death is stronger in terms of overall package. But he still doubts his ability to take war on head to head.

chiablo

Giant Bomb?

Definitely 360. They don't really like using anything else.

Wait, have you ever been to Giant Bomb before? Given the choice, I think every staff member there would chose the PC version of any game while using a 360 gamepad.

I think they use the 360 version for capture most of the time because they haven't built a gaming grade PC for the office since the move.

Ya I mean death, they keep saying he's the leader/ the oldest, and is the only one of the four who's an original nephilim making him stronger.

Lothars

Wait, have you ever been to Giant Bomb before? Given the choice, I think every staff member there would chose the PC version of any game while using a 360 gamepad.

I think they use the 360 version for capture most of the time because they haven't built a gaming grade PC for the office since the move.
I think that's mainly the reason why they haven't but also because developers normally send them the 360 version over all else.

Top Bottom