• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Amir0x

Banned
This game definitely feels like a worthy successor to Soul Reaver even more than Zelda at times, I'd say. It's very very well polished at all ends, SAVE for the hideous screen tearing.

I know everyone mentions it but seriously, this is some of the worst goddamn screen tearing I've ever experienced in a game this gen. I mean it's so frequent that it actually get a bit nauseous playing at times.

Makes me think I should have gone with the PS3 version, but hopefully the 360 version gets a patch soon. The game is rock solid otherwise.

JdFoX187

Banned
Played through the prequel, damn this is a fun game. I've been hyped for months now, so I'm glad to see Vigil did a great job. The screen tearing hasn't bothered me much on the 360 yet. I guess it gets worse later on. Either way, I'm really enjoying the game.

Hawk269

Well I bought the game along with Bayonetta at TRU with the great deal of getting a $40.00 Gift Card when you buy both games (360 version).

A friend of mine also bought the game and he brought his copy over so I could check it out before breaking the seal on my own copy. First thing is that the game should not be judged by the first few areas. Visually, there was alot going on, but it was not overly impressive. As mentioned some chugging in the first area and some screen tearing.

As I kept playing, I was really enjoying the game play, but still was not overly impressed by the visuals and the tech. problems...as I entered the next area, it got a bit better, framerate seemed to be better, but the dang screen tearing is pretty bad at some points early on.

From what I played, I do like the game and anyone getting the game, it is one of those that after you put in a few hours, the true game is revealed. I think the intro areas that you first play through are rough, to be honest and I also think the tearing will put some off as well as the chugging that happens early on. As you get farther and into the game proper, the chugging is not evident very much and framerate is pretty solid. Screen tearing however rears it's ugly head at at times is really bad.

Bottome line though, even with the issues technically the game has, the game itself is really good, gameplay is good, visuals are good aside from issues, and wow is it a colorful game. Needless to say, I will be opening my copy in the next few minutes and sink myself into the game.

I pray to all that is holy that they fix some of the tech issues in the game via a patch...I usually can deal with some frame drops here and there and even a chug everyonce in a while, but screen tearing on a 60"HDTV looks pretty bad for me. So...here is hoping that they fix these issues, which will for me be much appreciated.

Tokubetsu

TheFallen said:
Damn the 30 Instant Kill (shadowrealm?) part is rough on Apocalypse. Gonna take a break for now.

You can chain the bats, just jump immediately after you kill them towards another and hit b. There's actually an achievement for 5 without touching the ground. The hard part are those big miniboss type dudes. Just focus fire them and dash A LOT. Don't even worry about timers/health etc.

KevinCow

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I fucking love the dialogue. Some would call it cheesy, I call it "appropriately epic."

Yeah, it's a bit silly if you take it too seriously, but if you get in the right mindset it's pretty awesome.

Though I have to agree with one of the earlier reviews that, while most of the voice acting is great, War's voice is a bit... overdramatic, I guess. Ulthane's voice is particularly awesome. Actually, everything about Ulthane is awesome. Screw War, I want to play a game as him.

TheFallen

Tokubetsu said:
You can chain the bats, just jump immediately after you kill them towards another and hit b. There's actually an achievement for 5 without touching the ground. The hard part are those big miniboss type dudes. Just focus fire them and dash A LOT. Don't even worry about timers/health etc.
Yea, I've got the trophy for the 5 bats, I tried it three times but once the mini-bosses come in I don't last much more. Health goes down quick on Apocalyptic. Thankfully the dash+attack is pretty helpful, 2 mini-bosses is just too chaotic. I shall return to it after I finish up some work.

Oneself

NOTE TO DEVS 2:

You give us the option to invert the Y axis. Allright...

But you put Panzer Dragoon-like sequences and we can't fucking invert the flying beast's controls!! Where's the logic???

Insomniac dazzled me when they did this with the flying sequences in Tools of Destruction.

Tokubetsu

TheFallen said:
Yea, I've got the trophy for the 5 bats, I tried it three times but once the mini-bosses come in I don't last much more. Health goes down quick on Apocalyptic. Thankfully the dash+attack is pretty helpful, 2 mini-bosses is just too chaotic. I shall return to it after I finish up some work.

I had the same problem but the key is to kill one before the other comes. I'm playing on apocalyptic and as soon as the first one spawns, kill him. try to elude the other guys and just focus on him. Once he's down, kill the other guys THEN the other big one will spawn. By time he spans though, you should be at like 37/40 or something like that and then you can just avoid him and kill small guys.

Shit, you guys sure know how to hype people into buying games :p

Im going to wait for a price drop though, I bought Dragon age and MW2 for 60 bucks, by the time I could play them, they were 39.99 brand new, FUCK. I could have bought a game with the difference.

I'll pick up the PS3 version next month.

Decado

soco said:
if you look at some of the reviews like hte IGN one, they all seem to think the 360 version looks better and apparently the tearing is more of an issue in the beginning than later in the game.

the devs have said they're working this week to fix little things like the tearing, so it might depend upon when you buy it...
Damnit! I just picked up the PS3 version. I wouldn't have minded waiting.

I hate it when there are pros/cons to each version...better than one be the clear choice or both be the same.

ascully

Been playing this all day it's a total blast. I love the part just after the Rez bit, its a huge dungeon with some zeldaish puzzles that had me scratching my head for a while. Good stuff.

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
We're working on the tearing issue and will have something out to the public very soon. TV's with higher refresh rates should reduce the amount of tearing (some to basically none at all), that's why people are seeing different levels of it depending on their style of tv.

Glad to hear, more than anything, the great positive feedback we're getting back from the people who've bought and played the game.

TeamXbox just added their review... 9/10

Tokubetsu

hdn said:
We're working on the tearing issue and will have something out to the public very soon. TV's with higher refresh rates should reduce the amount of tearing (some to basically none at all), that's why people are seeing different levels of it depending on their style of tv.

Glad to hear, more than anything, the great positive feedback we're getting back from the people who've bought and played the game.

Yeah, it's really great. I'm hoping you guys do well. I'm grinning from ear to ear in every fight and every puzzled solved. Does cutting of an angels wings right before impaling them ever get old? The answer is no, it does not. \m/

linkboy

I'm getting ready to head up to Wal-Mart to see if they've got this in and I'd debating about which version to get.

I'm leaning towards the PS3 version (does it screen tear as bad as the 360 version), but I vastly prefer the 360 controller.

What to do, what to do?

Wizman23

Banned
Another piece of shit IGN video review. For as much money as that site makes you would think they would put together something a little better then a 3 minute piece of garbage. They need to take a lesson from Gametrailers on how to properly do a video review.

taoofjord

hdn said:

Wow, a patch to fix the tearing? Thanks a bunch for fixing it post-release!

Also, I just wanted to thank you and the rest of the team for the game -- it's fantastic. And it's so obvious you guys had a lot of fun making it.

RS4-

TheFallen said:
Damn the 30 Instant Kill (shadowrealm?) part is rough on Apocalypse. Gonna take a break for now.
Chain kill the bats.

Then do the xxxx launcher, xxxx air chain that slams them back to the ground for the other dudes. That pretty much sets them up for the instant kill.

I used the second set of bats as a way to avoid attacks from the big dude.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Amir0x said:
This game definitely feels like a worthy successor to Soul Reaver

Not in the writing department. I can see the comparison otherwise, but a cheesy Image Comics take on the apocalypse doesn't compare at all to what Amy Hennig did with the Soul Reaver series.

I'm not nearly as enamored as many in the thread are, but I'm going to press on. There's nothing wrong with the game that I can see (aside from the hopefully soon-to-be-fixed tearing), but so far it's not really pulling me in, either.

Krujo

Banned
Oneself said:
NOTE TO DEVS 2:

You give us the option to invert the Y axis. Allright...

But you put Panzer Dragoon-like sequences and we can't fucking invert the flying beast's controls!! Where's the logic???

Insomniac dazzled me when they did this with the flying sequences in Tools of Destruction.

I agree, that part was tough and I hope there isn't many more flying sequences later on in the game. The game is great and I'm glad I bought it.

KevinCow

Banned
hdn said:

Is there any chance you guys will fix the issue of NPCs repeating themselves way too often? Looking at the shop menu and hearing Vulgrim say, "That's a nice sword. Can I help you with something? That's a nice sword. That's a nice sword. Got something new for you! Can I help you with something?" and on and on with barely any pause between lines can get annoying pretty fast.

Or am I the only one having this issue? I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
KevinCow said:
Is there any chance you guys will fix the issue of NPCs repeating themselves way too often? Looking at the shop menu and hearing Vulgrim say, "That's a nice sword. Can I help you with something? That's a nice sword. That's a nice sword. Got something new for you! Can I help you with something?" and on and on with barely any pause between lines can get annoying pretty fast.

Or am I the only one having this issue? I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

What are ya buyin'?
What are ya sellin'?
Ahhhh! I'll buy it at a high price!

Korey

Just played 2 hours of it. Love the art style. Thought I would hate it, but it works. But the tearing is really as bad as everyone says.

Sydle

Played about a half hour of it and I feel like it is more like God of War than Zelda. I was expecting a little less fighting. I guess it will balance out with more puzzles and exploring later?

I'm not a big fan of the art style either. The screen tearing is obnoxious, but I'm glad to read that they're working on it.

I think I'll get into it with a little more play time, but right now I'm feeling like I could have waited until it dropped to $30-40.

John

Firestorm said:
I just got to the Mansion or whatever where Tiamet is. Is this when it starts to be Zelda-y?
Yes. I just finished that dungeon, I was grinning the entire way (even when I was lost). This game really is:

- Gears of War + Warcraft art style.
- Zelda exploration (minus an overworld, as far as I am anyway)
- God of War combat when not Z-targeting
- Zelda combat when Z-targeting
- Standard TPS combat (minus cover system) with Zelda weaponry when in shooter mode

The difficulty is absolutely spot on. I wish the next Zelda is this tough, where no fight is a pushover, but it's fair and fluid throughout.

One thing that separates this from Zelda is the constant sense of foreboding. Nobody feels threatened by the first level in Zelda games, they're basically teaching the player how to navigate the next ones. In this game I'd probably be very confused if I hadn't played so many Zeldas.

Also Zelda.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Saw this on the shelves while I was working and nearly jumped on it. Is it going to get a PC release? I would so love a Zelda-like with KB&M to fit in between TF2 matches and King's Bounty.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
It has been a long time since a commercial made me want to go out and buy a game sight unseen. I didn't even know this game existed other than some bad ass box art.

KevinCow

Banned
It occurs to me that the newspapers in this game must be made of some really hardcore shit, because they've been floating around for a hundred years and still haven't decomposed.

ZealousD said:
What are ya buyin'?
What are ya sellin'?
Ahhhh! I'll buy it at a high price!

Well he at least says stuff at appropriate times, as opposed to rambling on while you're just looking at the item list.

He's not the only one I've had this problem with, either. Ulthane did the exact same thing.

Maybe there's just something wrong with my disc, because it's really annoying and I imagine more people would be complaining about it if everyone was experiencing it.

Firestorm

Tokubetsu said:
Yep, expect to be there for like an hour.
John said:
Yes. I just finished that dungeon, I was grinning the entire way (even when I was lost). This game really is:

- Gears of War + Warcraft art style.
- Zelda exploration (minus an overworld, as far as I am anyway)
- God of War combat when not Z-targeting
- Zelda combat when Z-targeting
- Standard TPS combat (minus cover system) with Zelda weaponry when in shooter mode

The difficulty is absolutely spot on. I wish the next Zelda is this tough, where no fight is a pushover, but it's fair and fluid throughout.

One thing that separates this from Zelda is the constant sense of foreboding. Nobody feels threatened by the first level in Zelda games, they're basically teaching the player how to navigate the next ones. In this game I'd probably be very confused if I hadn't played so many Zeldas.

Also Zelda.
Good to know. So far it has been okay but it hasn't hit "Zelda" for me yet. I figured it was because I hadn't been to the first dungeon yet. Friends want to play some ODST Firefight and once I'm done I'll go back to this.

batbeg

KevinCow said:
Yeah, it's a bit silly if you take it too seriously, but if you get in the right mindset it's pretty awesome.

Though I have to agree with one of the earlier reviews that, while most of the voice acting is great, War's voice is a bit... overdramatic, I guess. Ulthane's voice is particularly awesome. Actually, everything about Ulthane is awesome. Screw War, I want to play a game as him.

Any hater of Liam o'Brien's heavenly voice is no friend of mine :mad:

EzLink

Banned
Just got home with this bad boy. Time to smoke some weed and get lost in what will hopefully be one of the best titles of 2010 :D

Decado

If this isn't one of the best titles of 2010 this is going to be an awesome year (probably be the case anyway).

I've liked what I've seen in the first 1/2 hour. Not "OMG perfect" or anything like that, but damned solid through and the through and I like the style and tone of the game. I hope Vigil don't get lost in MMOG development hell (this would be the second company in recent years THQ banished there) and make a sequel to this before the generation ends.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
EzLink said:
Just got home with this bad boy. Time to smoke some weed and get lost in what will hopefully be one of the best titles of 2010 :D

Cool dude.

Canova

Banned
ok Vulgrim is fucking ripoff :lol Everything is so expensive. How can I gain more souls?

I'm in the huge area where I first met Vulgrim. I just got the harvester. But I want to purchase more ability or healing potion

KevinCow

Banned
canova said:
ok Vulgrim is fucking ripoff :lol Everything is so expensive. How can I gain more souls?

I'm in the huge area where I first met Vulgrim. I just got the harvester. But I want to purchase more ability or healing potion

Don't worry about it for now. Just make your way through the game. Make sure to thoroughly explore everything to find chests (which often hold souls) and artifacts (which you can sell for souls) and you should be good. Stuff seems ridiculously expensive now, but you'll find yourself with a ton of souls to spend sooner than you think.

Spruchy

Been playing for an hour mashing X (occasional B) and watching WoW hd cutscenes with terrible dialogue. When does this game get good?

Top Bottom