• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Dave1988

Xater said:
I'm with him. Not a big fan of Bayonetta either. I liked DMC4 more and that's not even the best DMC.

That's ok, I guess. Nothing wrong with having a WRONG opinion once in a while.

MMaRsu

Dave1988 said:
That's ok, I guess. Nothing wrong with having a WRONG opinion once in a while.

Don't get me wrong, Bayonetta is sure to be awesome ( going by the demo ), but it's just a DMC hack & slash game. This has great combat ( aside from dodging & blocking lol ), a cool story, good voice acting, DUNGEONS & PUZZLES, an awesome horse you can ride & more.

Sure Bayonetta has a lot of crazy shit too, but it's really quirky and a bit too "japanese" for me. Then there's all this hyperbole about best action game ever blabla.

forrest

formerly nacire
Wow! Finally got to put in 3 hours last night and I'm loving every minute of it! I know some folks didn't care for the beginning too much, but hell I liked that too. From the artwork, atmosphere and gameplay to the voice acting, dialogue and story I'm really enjoying it.

I didn't get a cheesy feeling from the dialogue either and I find the graphics too look very cohesive and polished. I can understand not liking the style , but I cant understand people saying it looks like shit. I'd love to see a pc version in the future for some AA and higher resolutions.

Many times lately I will buy a game because it's the cream of the crop and it interests me only to find that playing it feels like more of a chore. More of like, something I should do because I'm a gamer and this "great" game shouldn't be missed. I guess this is why backlogs develop for some folks. Well, for me, Darksiders has been the complete opposite. The game is just firing on all cylinders for me and I can't wait to play some more. This game is my cup of tea.

Dave1988

MMaRsu said:
Don't get me wrong, Bayonetta is sure to be awesome ( going by the demo ), but it's just a DMC hack & slash game.

Stopped reading right here.

There is so much WRONG contained in this sentence alone that my mind almost had a meltdown trying to process it.

MMaRsu

Dave1988 said:
Stopped reading right here.

There is so much WRONG contained in this sentence alone that my mind almost had a meltdown trying to process it.

So what is wrong about it then? Isn't that just what it is? A game in the same vein as DMC?
Sure you can turn into a dragon or whatnot, and you see some pixel skin ( OOOOO ) from time to time.. but ehh, what more is there to it?

Dave1988

MMaRsu said:
So what is wrong about it then? Isn't that just what it is? A game in the same vein as DMC?
Sure you can turn into a dragon or whatnot, and you see some pixel skin ( OOOOO ) from time to time.. but ehh, what more is there to it?

Oh, I don't know.... torture attacks, plethora of combos, dodge offset, witch time, customising your weapon loadout, a variety of weapons. Taking the best ideas from DMC, NG and putting your own twists on it to make it feel fresh and unique. Little things like that make a combat system so much more than just "mash attack button to win".

Ball's in your field.

Bayo is the master in the ganre. Is Darksiders a master of its ganre (or rather in this case - ganres)? No. It's a jack of all trades, but a master of none.

MMaRsu

Dave1988 said:
Oh, I don't know.... torture attacks, plethora of combos, dodge offset, witch time, customising your weapon loadout, a variety of weapons. Taking the best ideas from DMC, NG and putting your own twists on it to make it feel fresh and unique. Little things like that make a combat system so much more than just "mash attack button to win".

Ball's in your field.

Bayo is the master in the ganre. Is Darksiders a master of its ganre (or rather in this case - ganres)? No. It's a jack of all trades, but a master of none.

Does it need to be a master of it's genre? I wouldn't even know what genre to put it in aside from action adventure. Kind of hard to master that genre no?

Anyway, it just doesn't appeal to me in the same way that Darksiders does. Not saying Bayonetta isn't a good game, there's room for both games. I just want to say that Darksiders is NOTHING like Bayonetta, nor does it try to be. Thank god for that.

Not let's quit this BS discussion, it has no place here. Ontopic!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
played a bit of it today..i liked it..i think its definetly a good game..but on the technical side there are quite a few problems

Korey

Ending the day near the end of the first dungeon. At the part where you fight
one Ice dude and some grunts, then a poison guy/grunts, then two Ice dudes...sucks that if you die in any of those phases you have to start over
. This game is definitely a good challenge on Apocalyptic...gave that fight like six goes. Gonna try again tomorrow. Am enjoying the zelda-ness of the dungeon.

weehomer

MMaRsu said:

Maybe try reading a review from a little magazine named Edge. (10/10)

Edge said:
Bayonetta is nearly flawless.

Edge said:
A thirdperson action game from the same school as Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta has just memorised the best bits and burned down the building, its combination of seamless animation, sensory cues and riotous imagination setting a new standard.

It’s a beautiful and graceful fighting game that lets imagination loose, and winks before slapping Dante, Kratos and every other hero back to the drawing board. Above all else, it’s proof that you can never have too many great ideas – or do too much with them.

Q8D3vil

Dave1988 said:

Ball's in your field.

your wrong here
Bayo is not the master of the genre
but one of the best

i am also enjoying darksiders more than bayo :D

MMaRsu

Korey said:
Ending the day near the end of the first dungeon. At the part where you fight
one Ice dude and some grunts, then a poison guy/grunts, then two Ice dudes...sucks that if you die in any of those phases you have to start over
. This game is definitely a good challenge on Apocalyptic...gave that fight like six goes. Gonna try again tomorrow. Am enjoying the zelda-ness of the dungeon.

Hehe yeah that is quite a tough fight on Apocalyptic. But good tough you know? It's not unfair or frustrating at least. I love that about Apocalyptic. It doesn't feel cheap imo!

Truant

By the way, I was being sarcastic about the whole '7-10' scale. That thing has been a staple of gaming 'journalism' for the last ten years and it makes me sick.

weehomer

Q8D3vil said:
the same magazine that gave dragon age 6/10 :lol :lol
and dragon age was my goty 2009

I can't believe Edge forgot to ask your input for their reviews!

MMaRsu said:
I've played the demo dude.

I know. I'm responding to your "it's just a DMC hack & slash game" comment and "Sure you can turn into a dragon or whatnot, and you see some pixel skin ( OOOOO ) from time to time.. but ehh, what more is there to it?" questions. The review gives good examples of how your assumptions based on the demo are wrong.

I guess you fall into a couple of the following categories:

HER HEAD IS TOO SMALL, I CAN'T PLAY THIS

THE MAIN CHARACTER IS A WOMAN, I CAN'T PLAY THIS

THIS IS A DMC-CLONE, I CAN'T PLAY THIS

THIS IS TOO SEXUAL, I CAN'T PLAY THIS

IT'S TOO JAPANESE, I CAN'T PLAY THIS

Truant said:
By the way, I was being sarcastic about the whole '7-10' scale. That thing has been a staple of gaming 'journalism' for the last ten years and it makes me sick.

So in what way were you being sarcastic?

This game looks to be what I wanted Brutal Legend to be, but while that title excels in it's marvelous setting and gorgeous artwork but fails in its crap gameplay, this seems to have what I want in terms of zelda-ish gameplay but an absolutely repugnant setting and "art-style".

Will keep an eye on for GAF impressions and bargain bin status. Maybe if there is a drought later in the year (I doubt it) but the character designs and everything is like some teenagers fucking awful deviantart account brought to life. Joe Mad is no good.

orion434

Put in 3 quality hours of Darksiders and I started right into Apocaliptic Difficulty, not that hard if you are familiar with the DMC series. If you die you can restart from last checkpoint with full health and from what I gather there is no penality for death except it show the number of times when you press the back-button. The screen-tearing normally doesn't bother me but in this game it's near unbearable. In the Twilight Cathedral it's more noticable and terrible.

I really like the art-style and I love the way the weapons level-up the more you use them. There are some things that I'm unclear on... I got this item in the beginning that showed where all the chests are on the map... and now the item is gone? Was it a limited time use or something? Did I get a glitch?

roxya

Fucking Bayonetta fans. Why must you shit up action game threads? People won't like it more just because you tell them their opinion is wrong.

MMaRsu

weehomer said:
I can't believe Edge forgot to ask your input for their reviews!

I know. I'm responding to your "it's just a DMC hack & slash game" comment and "Sure you can turn into a dragon or whatnot, and you see some pixel skin ( OOOOO ) from time to time.. but ehh, what more is there to it?" questions. The review gives good examples of how your assumptions based on the demo are wrong.

I guess you fall into a couple of the following categories:

HER HEAD IS TOO SMALL, I CAN'T PLAY THIS

THE MAIN CHARACTER IS A WOMAN, I CAN'T PLAY THIS

THIS IS A DMC-CLONE, I CAN'T PLAY THIS

THIS IS TOO SEXUAL, I CAN'T PLAY THIS

IT'S TOO JAPANESE, I CAN'T PLAY THIS

I really want to quit this BS discussion because I'm trading this game in for Bayonetta as soon as I've finished this game. This is a game you play through once and maybe pick it up again in a year to replay it or something.

Skilletor

This is why I don't post in many threads.

Why the fuck are people arguing about Bayonetta in a DARKSIDERS thread. They're not even remotely similar.

Xater

The only problem I have so far is powering up anything but the Chaoseater. For some reason I don't use the other weapons much.

Q8D3vil

yeah lets be on topic from now on

maybe kinda spoiler

i spent 6 hours hours on darksiders and i didn't get the horse yet , anyone know when i should get it ?!
im in the sand level now

Xater

Q8D3vil said:
yeah lets be on topic from now on

maybe kinda spoiler

i spent 6 hours hours on darksiders and i didn't get the horse yet , anyone know when i should get it ?!
im in the sand level now

Then you will get it very soon.

Skilletor said:

Why the fuck are people arguing about Bayonetta in a DARKSIDERS thread. They're not even remotely similar.

They were released on the same day so they must be enemies forever.

Q8D3vil

about the tearing , i can notice it and its not that bad not as bad as mass effect )

but when i switched from 40 sony bravia S series engine 3 to my old 32 inch samsung lcd
the tearing was unbearable

just wanted to say that because maybe people are getting mixed opinions about the tearing

weehomer

Skilletor said:

Ask MMaRsu why he's making "Darksiders > Bayonetta. For shame." comments in the thread, when someone mentioned they were purchasing both games.

I'll admit I took the bait and fed the troll.

Sydle

Lan_97 said:
Not sure if it was mentioned before but here is some info on the "Do Not Discard" code in the box...

http://community.darksidersvideogame.com/blog-post/mysterious-redemption-code

Unfortunately, I preordered and did you get a code :(

I got a code. :p

We can't unveil the gift yet, but believe us: you're not going to want to miss it.

Not going to get my hopes up for something awesome like an extra area/boss fight. I would settle for some avatar clothes/props though.

Q8D3vil said:
about the tearing , i can notice it and its not that bad not as bad as mass effect )

but when i switched from 40 sony bravia S series engine 3 to my old 32 inch samsung lcd
the tearing was unbearable

just wanted to say that because maybe people are getting mixed opinions about the tearing

We have a 32inch Samsung. I recognise that different sets will cause different effects, but this is enough to make me get the PS3 version instead.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
John said:
Yes. I just finished that dungeon, I was grinning the entire way (even when I was lost). This game really is:

- Gears of War + Warcraft art style.
- Zelda exploration (minus an overworld, as far as I am anyway)
- God of War combat when not Z-targeting
- Zelda combat when Z-targeting
- Standard TPS combat (minus cover system) with Zelda weaponry when in shooter mode

The difficulty is absolutely spot on. I wish the next Zelda is this tough, where no fight is a pushover, but it's fair and fluid throughout.

One thing that separates this from Zelda is the constant sense of foreboding. Nobody feels threatened by the first level in Zelda games, they're basically teaching the player how to navigate the next ones. In this game I'd probably be very confused if I hadn't played so many Zeldas.

Also Zelda.
man... this is REALLY pushing me towards this game. I am just finishing up Arkham Asylum and have Bayonetta next, but this impression here is pretty much the best parts from some of my most beloved games.... arrgghhhhh.... and now the mentions of Soul Reaver???

Q8D3vil

need some help
am in ashland now
there is a big worm in the sand and i must run quickly from platform to platform , but in the end it always catch me , is there a trick or my timing is just wrong ?!

Xater

Q8D3vil said:
in need help in the ashland

there is a big worm in the sand and i must run quickly from platform to platform , but in the end it always catch me , is there a trick or my timing is just wrong ?!

Thee is no real trick, you just have to go on the sand when the worm is far away.

Dyno

Picked up the PS3 version, played for a couple hours.

Being critical first: "Locking in" the battle grounds with the red energy walls or cutscenes showing blocked paths feels old fashion. They could have simply done away with that in this day and age or have been more subtle. As well I'm not yet understanding the internal logic behind most of the button placements. It doesn't feel natural yet. You have attacks and defensive maneuvers on both face and shoulder buttons. That said I'm playing on Normal (as a break from Demon's Souls) so it's not like a bit of button fumbling yet results in my death. Block seems unreliable but Dashing to the side is your all-around evade button.

Other than that I'm enjoying it so far. The characters are interesting and have lots of personality. War seems like a good vessel for the player and the Watcher is a truly alien looking creation. The cut-scenes are captivating and very impactful. They take equal place amongst the fighting and exploration.

All in all it seems like a very entertaining game with enough polish to satisfy and I look forward to moving through the game to see what else is behind the corner.

Sydle

MMaRsu said:
Where is that code? I bought the game before it was even supposed to be out, yet there wasn't a special card in the box. Is it on the back of the instruction book?

It's a small leaflet free from the booklet.

EDIT: Purchased my copy on released date.

The Felo

Neo Member
Man, Silitha was a bitch to take down on Apocalyptic!

Loving the game...the comparisons to Zelda/Soul Reaver are spot on.

Can't remember where I read it/heard it, but someone said Darksiders is a pure 'gamers game', and from what I have read it sounds like it will be, i think it's probably looking back through rose tinted specs but I remember games used to be like adventures with different characters and end of level bosses, and not just more enemies that took more hits to kill. That's what interests me about darksiders, it seems like an out and out old school adventure, and the wierd thing is, is that i'm glad that most people won't 'get it' beacuse if everyone did like it, it would be mw2, games equivilent of the summer blockbuster, fun for a short while, yet ultimatly shallow.

MMaRsu said:
Hehe yeah that is quite a tough fight on Apocalyptic. But good tough you know? It's not unfair or frustrating at least. I love that about Apocalyptic. It doesn't feel cheap imo!

Agree with this highly. Just got to the Ashlands and difficulty feels good.

And for all these people talking up Bayonetta like its gods gift to videogame fapping. Take that shit elsewhere. I completed that game before starting this, (its damn good itself) but last I looked up at that ole topic headlineup there? Yeah you see it... it says Darksiders! So GTFO with this Bayonetta fighting bullshit.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
im about 4 Hours in, i really like it,

technically the graphic engine is a bit dated. The only thing that's holding the game back from being 'jerk-off" material.

bestami

Game is pretty good and the combat is enjoyable so far. I usually don't really notice tearing and other graphical issues but it really is bothering especially when moving the camera. Anyways i keep finding artifacts. Should i trade them immediately or will i need those later on ?

MMaRsu

bestami said:
Game is pretty good and the combat is enjoyable so far. I usually don't really notice tearing and other graphical issues but it really is bothering especially when moving the camera. Anyways i keep finding artifacts. Should i trade them immediately or will i need those later on ?

You can trade them in whenever you want :).

Gaaaah I just want to go home and keep on playing this shit! 5 more hours then I'm freeeeeeee

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, I must have put about 2 hours into the game last night (after some Trajectile and Bayonetta), and while it's not immediately grabbing me like most Zeldas do, neither am I particularly turned off by it. The presentation is, in general, better than I expected. It's definitely "Saturday morning cartoon" in certain respects. Well, perhaps "Adult Swim" back when it was good is more appropriate. Either way, it does the content justice so far.

In general, I like the action. The combat, even at this stage, is certainly more developed than any of the 3D Zeldas, so that's a welcome improvement. I'm also playing on Apocalyptic, so it's definitely not insultingly easy. Really not liking the camera so far, though. Feels claustrophobically close to War, at times, and too quick to snap behind him unless the aiming mode is engaged. I'm still very early on, so perhaps it's unfair to say, but the exploration is not nearly what I had expected. I'm pretty sure that'll be opening up fairly soon, in any event.

A tentative, but very optimistic thumbs up so far.
My only problem is that I'm loving Bayonetta a lot more than I thought I would, so while I had originally decided to ditch Bayonetta until Darksiders is done, now I'm thinking that I'll probably be trading off depending on mood, something I almost never do with my games! (I tend to focus on one console game and one or two handheld games to the exclusion of everything else, until done...)

Playing it on my PS3 via HDMI, and using it to break in my brand new Panasonic 42" Plasma (TC-42G10) which I just picked up on Sunday. I've noticed no framerate or tearing issues yet.

AntMurda

Apocalyptic is the hardest game setting? How difficult is it. Meaning should i actually begin the game at that difficulty the first time.. or no.

AntMurda said:
Apocalyptic is the hardest game setting? How difficult is it. Meaning should i actually begin the game at that difficulty the first time.. or no.

Why not? I hear normal is almost too easy. Apocalyptic is hard but very fair and is easly managable. It was harder at the begining then it is for me now.

MMaRsu

Mejilan said:
Well, I must have put about 2 hours into the game last night (after some Trajectile and Bayonetta), and while it's not immediately grabbing me like most Zeldas do, neither am I particularly turned off by it. The presentation is, in general, better than I expected. It's definitely "Saturday morning cartoon" in certain respects. Well, perhaps "Adult Swim" back when it was good is more appropriate. Either way, it does the content justice so far.

In general, I like the action. The combat, even at this stage, is certainly more developed than any of the 3D Zeldas, so that's a welcome improvement. I'm also playing on Apocalyptic, so it's definitely not insultingly easy. Really not liking the camera so far, though. Feels claustrophobically close to War, at times, and too quick to snap behind him unless the aiming mode is engaged. I'm still very early on, so perhaps it's unfair to say, but the exploration is not nearly what I had expected. I'm pretty sure that'll be opening up fairly soon, in any event.

A tentative, but very optimistic thumbs up so far.
My only problem is that I'm loving Bayonetta a lot more than I thought I would, so while I had originally decided to ditch Bayonetta until Darksiders is done, now I'm thinking that I'll probably be trading off depending on mood, something I almost never do with my games! (I tend to focus on one console game and one or two handheld games to the exclusion of everything else, until done...)

Playing it on my PS3 via HDMI, and using it to break in my brand new Panasonic 42" Plasma (TC-42G10) which I just picked up on Sunday. I've noticed no framerate or tearing issues yet.

Did you get to the first dungeon yet? :)

Top Bottom