• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

dk_ said:
So how long is the main quest approx.?
Reviews say 15 hrs, i dont know firsthand yet.

On a side note, i originally thought the game looked terrible. Picked it up anyways ealier today, on account of decent word of mouth and great boredom. Was pretty disappointed for the first hour or so. Was boring and looked like ass.
I've warmed up quite a bit to it though. The game started to feel pretty good to me after a cple of hours, i'm even starting to dig the art style.

theluma

"More like Zelda than God of War"

Is it really though? What are we talking about percentage-wise. I don't mind an action game like GOW but I can't stand it's combat system. Much prefer something like Bayonetta where there is actual depth to the combat.

On the other I adore Zelda so.... in a few months when it's cheaper maybe?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The combat system in Darksiders doesn't really have extensive depth. Maybe "width" would be a more accurate term? You have a lot of tools and options but they don't really mix together.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Totobeni said:
don't you need something without huds to break-in plasmas ?

I think you will do something very very wrong..
:/

Wow, thank you so much for kindly pointing out my ignorance re: plasma HDTVs. Indeed, this is my first HDTV set. I've just spent the past few hours Googling this issue heavily, and can only conclude that IR (image retention) and burn in issues are basically a thing of the past, particularly with top tier 2009 or later plasmas.

I'll take the measures most recommended for the 100-200 hour "break in" period (hold off on calibration, turn contrast below 50%, disable showroom "vivid" settings, etc.) and revisit my settings in a month or so, once I'm confident that I'm past the 100 hour mark. Being a relatively modern (2009) plasma from a well-regarded brand, my tv has the "pixel orbiting/wobbling" feature and I've already enabled it. Similarly, I'll be switching pillarboxes and letterboxes to a dim or gray setting instead of the usual black, and I suppose I'll even make use of the IR wiping mechanics (scrolling vertical white bar on a black backdrop) on occasion to make sure that everything's clear.

But from what I've read, IR can be easily reversed, and burn-in is near impossible to achieve without actively TRYING to get it. It helps that most of Darksider's HUD vanishes when not in combat, but even the compass, etc. disappear when accessing the full map or various character screens. So I'm not concerned about either IR or burn-in.

forrest

formerly nacire
dralla said:
damnit which version do I get

If you have to have it now, I would suggest the PS3 version because the screen tearing is less apparent. However, the devs have stated they are working on a patch/fix for the xbox 360 version which is reported to have more screen tearing.

I personally always buy xbox360 multi-platform versions, but not in this case. I couldn't be more pleasantly surprised either. The ps3 version looks and plays great on my 55 inch Samsung LCD.:D

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Dave1988 said:
Stopped reading right here.

There is so much WRONG contained in this sentence alone that my mind almost had a meltdown trying to process it.

I've only played the Bayonetta demo, but I'm sure that I'll end up liking Daksiders more because I absolutely hate everything about it that isn't gameplay related.

Xater

Ok the grappling hook is really Zelda like. :lol

I also found one of the legendary upgrades. It makes any weapon that I attach it too unbelievable strong. :D

Hawk269

God am I loving this game even more now. I played for about 6 hours yesterday and did not want to stop. This is going to sound very NOOB, but what is considered a Dungeon in this game? I am at the Cathedaral, is this considered the first Dungeon?

Sorry for the noobish question, just wondering how far I am in the game and if the catherdaral is the 1st dungeon and i have 14 more to go, well it is pretty long for me then.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I think the Twilight Cathedral is considered the first real dungeon in the game, and I thought it was mentioned that the game has something like 6-7 full blown dungeons.

Hawk269

MMaRsu said:
Who says there are 14 dungeons o_O

My mistake then...I thought i read somewhere in this thread that the game has 14 dungeons or so....but still if after about 6 hours and I am just (almost done) with the 1st of 6 or 7, then that is pretty good.

The game is extremely boring until you get to the first dungeon and get the "boomerang." Then the puzzles and combat get better, especially after you purchase some move upgrades. I think the game rocks now but I am dissapointed by the combat a little bit. I don't really like that you can't block attacks from any of the medium size enemies on up, you just eat damage. I would much prefer some sort of short distance roll as a dodge instead of the dash which seems to put me too far away from whoever I am fighting to get a few hits in before they attack me again.

From a gameplay standpoint it does increase the difficulty instead of other games where you can just turtle until you get an opening. I hope guard becomes more useful later as the smaller enemies never put me in a situation where I need to block and the larger enemies just smash right through it. Kinda silly game design.

So far (3 hours in) the first dungeon was awesome, but the combat is really dull. I wish this was a lot less of an action game, or a lot better of an action game. The boss battle at the end of the dungeon was half cool and half crap because it changed between a Zelda style boss to a crummy "slash until it's dead" boss. Only other complaint is the movement speed of War is really slow, and since you can't dash nonstop, it can get annoying.

You know I'm not going to try and discredit people that think the begining is boring or slow, but damn I was enthralled pretty much the whole time playing so far. I mean I felt I was steadily getting cooler stuff and better combos as I progress and still I feel this way almost 8 hours in!

Ricker

I`m stuck in the first dungeon...it`s the big room where you have that big narrow floor that I got to rotate constantly,I raised one of the statue holding a sword on the right but I can`t seem to break the other big red rock on the other side,with the boomerang?...I have thrown those bombs on it but i can`t light them up so it explodes and breaks the red stone...

Ricker said:
I`m stuck in the first dungeon...it`s the big room where you have that big narrow floor that I got to rotate constantly,I raised one of the statue holding a sword on the right but I can`t seem to break the other big red rock on the other side,with the boomerang?...I have thrown those bombs on it but i can`t light them up so it explodes and breaks the red stone...

Make a line of bombs on the wall leading to the red stones. Then hit the main exploding one. It should start a chain reaction and blow it up for you! I got stuck there for awhile myself!

dralla

got the art book when I bought it w/o pre-order. cashier also gave me back $16 change instead of $6. And after trade in it was only $33 in the first place. game basically cost me $23.

Ricker

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Make a line of bombs on the wall leading to the red stones. Then hit the main exploding one. It should start a chain reaction and blow it up for you! I got stuck there for awhile myself!

Ah thanks,was starting to think of doing that...stuck in the small room now with 3 waves,that I know of,so far,including 2 of the big guys on the 3rd wave,can`t beat that yet,and restarting the first 2 waves is a little annoying...

I have never blocked yet in the game so I guess I`ll have to start and get the timing down for that.

Ricker said:
Ah thanks,was starting to think of doing that...stuck in the small room now with 3 waves,that I know of,so far,including 2 of the big guys on the 3rd wave,can`t beat that yet,and restarting the first 2 waves is a little annoying...

Again... did the same thing. Try to save that health chest for the last 3rd wave. I did this part about 8 times before getting it. Once you get to just the two armored guys...
knock just a little bit of the armor off and then spam the shit out of the charged crossblade attack. It stuns them since his top armor is knocked off.
Dodge the other dude during this and then repeat on him.

Firestorm

I didn't get any of the pre-order stuff aside from the t-shirt. Hadn't arrived yet -_- I can't believe EB Canada can't get its shit together after all these years. First time I had this happen was 2006 with Tales of the Abyss.

Tokubetsu

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Again... did the same thing. Try to save that health chest for the last 3rd wave. I did this part about 8 times before getting it. Once you get to just the two armored guys...
knock just a little bit of the armor off and then spam the shit out of the charged crossblade attack. It stuns them since his top armor is knocked off.
Dodge the other dude during this and then repeat on him.

Yea I beat that on Apocalyptic, first try. *strokes ego*

Xater said:
So far the best comparisson has been Soul Reaver because it's a bit more combat heavy than Zelda.
Are these Soul Reaver comparisons to be taken seriously? I will order this game NOW if this is true. Is this the original LoK: Soul Reaver or LoK: Soul Reaver Defiance we're talking about here?

Kishgal

Banned
Having a great time so far. I didn't like the combat at first... felt too basic, and I also thought there were far too many enemies. It opened up fairly quickly, thankfully, and I think once you get the scythe, it all becomes far more interesting. Now I'm stuck trying to decide which upgrades to buy first. Too many choices! I got Weapon Master and now I just don't know.

FunkyPajamas said:
Are these Soul Reaver comparisons to be taken seriously? I will order this game NOW if this is true. Is this the original LoK: Soul Reaver or LoK: Soul Reaver Defiance we're talking about here?

The original LoK:Soul Reaver!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MMaRsu said:
Don't get me wrong, Bayonetta is sure to be awesome ( going by the demo ), but it's just a DMC hack & slash game. This has great combat ( aside from dodging & blocking lol ), a cool story, good voice acting, DUNGEONS & PUZZLES, an awesome horse you can ride & more.

Sure Bayonetta has a lot of crazy shit too, but it's really quirky and a bit too "japanese" for me. Then there's all this hyperbole about best action game ever blabla.

I have no idea what this means. Do you dislike things that are inherently and intrinsically ethnically different? Do you only like things that are familiar and western? I must know what this means, because people keep saying it, and it makes no sense to me.

Neverfade

thetrin said:
I have no idea what this means. Do you dislike things that are inherently and intrinsically ethnically different? Do you only like things that are familiar and western? I must know what this means, because people keep saying it, and it makes no sense to me.

Focus on that feeling. That's how several of us, including me, feel about Bayonetta.

MMaRsu

thetrin said:

Again with this? Okay fine. I mean it's just too fucking weird man. Japanese people create some of the weirdest shit known to man, and Bayonetta is one of it. A chick who's weapon is her hair? And the higher the combo goes the less hair is covering her body ( quite immature btw ) ? A hairdragon? And let's not talk about the design of the characters. Bayonetta screams "HEY LOOK IM A QUIRKY JAPANESE DMC/NG HACK AND SLASH GAME WITH A VOLUPTUOUS WOMAN COME AND PLAY ME".

Know what I mean? Not that there is inherently anything wrong with that, and I'm still going to play it because aside from the art and all that shit, gameplay is still what matters most to me. I'm not going to turn down a game because of the artstyle. No it doesn't mean that I inherently have a dislike for anything ethnically different. And I do not only like things that are familliar and western.

Anyway.. Enough about Bayonetta okay? <3

Ricker

Also I have a question about the health meter...on a few occasions,when it turned red,even if you grab some green souls,it doesn`t fill it anymore? or it fills the little yellow squares underneath the regular meter...? if I have 3 small yellow meter,does this mean I have 3 full green meter and once those are gone and it turns red,nothing fills up the green meter anymore...not sure when I`m close to death and I would like to know for that fight.

Ricker said:
Also I have a question about the health meter...on a few occasions,when it turned red,even if you grab some green souls,it doesn`t fill it anymore? or it fills the little yellow squares underneath the regular meter...? if I have 3 small yellow meter,does this mean I have 3 full green meter and once those are gone and it turns red,nothing fills up the green meter anymore...not sure when I`m close to death and I would like to know for that fight.

The yellow meters are for your special attack moves like the swords and such. The three bars is how much you can have at one time. The green bar, your health has a green skull above it to show how many full heath bars you have. One skull equals one full health bar. So when you get depeleted it takes one of those skulls away. As for why your grabbng green souls and its not filling up. Thats odd.

WanderingWind said:
Is there any reason why I should get this on PS3 versus the 360?

PS3 currently has less screen tearing. 360 will get a patch later. Its due to refresh rates on certain tvs. Aside from that there pretty much identical.

Spruchy said:
i got bayonetta and this but i like bayonetta better

Was that REALLY neccessary to post on a Darksiders thread? GEESUS!

MMaRsu

WanderingWind said:
Is there any reason why I should get this on PS3 versus the 360?

Yes! Ps3 has no screentearing if I am correct. 360 version should be fixed with a patch soon though :). It doesn't bother me that much, however I don't have an HDTV so it's not that bad. But I do notice it, and normally I do not.

EzLink

Banned
I just defeated the boss at the end of Twilight Cathedral. There have been a few instances where I've gotten really frusterated, but other than a couple of those moments everything has been great. I really like Vulgrim, he's such a fucking weirdo :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Spruchy said:
i got bayonetta and this but i like bayonetta better

Nobody cares. Talk about Bayonetta in the Bayonetta thread. This is the Darksiders thread.

berva

Neo Member
The first main boss Tiamat is a major pain in the ass. I'm about 2.5 hours in and only at the first boss, this game is long. P.S: Boss fights are lame.

Sidzed2

The Tiamat fight is pretty awful, albeit visually spectacular. The mechanics are janky as all heck - I hope things improve.

Anyway, this game is pretty engaging overall. In terms of gameplay, this is the game I thought I would be getting with Brutal Legend (I wasn't aware of how much emphasis that title would place on its RTS-lite sequences). Seems to be a solid mix of exploration and combat.

I must say, I hate War's jumping mechanics. He feels so slow and unresponsive. In fact, I would say that the controls are the principal thing about Darksiders which make it feel a little unpolished in places.

Top Bottom