• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

bdouble

Spruchy said:
Been playing for an hour mashing X (occasional B) and watching WoW hd cutscenes with terrible dialogue. When does this game get good?
Last month I held down R1 occasionally pushing X and then square watching a member of the KKK run around Venice stabbing white people.

Maybe its just not for you. Some games don't click with people especially if you trivialize them. And someone said jsut a few posts ago that the first 2 hour are not indicative of the game.

Canova

Banned
ok I'm stuck.

the next task is to find demon samael. I see in my map is that the next task is to open the big gate. but I can't open the big gate

help

Firestorm

canova said:
ok I'm stuck.

the next task is to find demon samael. I see in my map is that the next task is to open the big gate. but I can't open the big gate

help
It's right in front of that demon. Up the stairs. Use the horn you just got. The game is like Zelda: when you get an item, use it.

Spruchy said:
Been playing for an hour mashing X (occasional B) and watching WoW hd cutscenes with terrible dialogue. When does this game get good?
Twilight Cathedral.

batbeg

canova said:
ok I'm stuck.

help

Erm... I'm unsure which of the big gates to which you're referring. Either the one after meeting with Vulgrim, in which case you should use the horn by pressing R2, or the one after you defeat the Phantom General, in which case it's a simple puzzle that the Watcher basically immediately explains of pushing the gargoyle statues.

Holding select will bring out the Watcher to explain things whenever you need.

Firestorm

batbeg said:
Erm... I'm unsure which of the big gates to which you're referring. Either the one after meeting with Vulgrim, in which case you should use the horn by pressing R2, or the one after you defeat the Phantom General, in which case it's a simple puzzle that the Watcher basically immediately explains of pushing the gargoyle statues.

Holding select will bring out the Watcher to explain things whenever you need.
Yeah. Ask Navi Watcher when you're stuck.

Canova

Banned
Firestorm said:
It's right in front of that demon. Up the stairs. Use the horn you just got. The game is like Zelda: when you get an item, use it.

Twilight Cathedral.

i don't have any horn. i know i'm clueless :(

Firestorm

canova said:
i don't have any horn. i know i'm clueless :(
Vulgrin should have given you a horn after you gave him 500 souls. Equip the horn in the item screen and then press LT+RT. Or maybe it's already equipped. PS3 buttons would be R2+L2 I'd assume.

Canova

Banned
Firestorm said:
Vulgrin should have given you a horn after you gave him 500 souls. Equip the horn in the item screen and then press LT+RT. Or maybe it's already equipped. PS3 buttons would be R2+L2 I'd assume.

ok got it. i did'nt equip it

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Skilletor said:
Why am I suddenly playing Panzer Dragoon? :'(

Wait, when has that ever been a BAD thing?

sinnergy

hdn said:
We're working on the tearing issue and will have something out to the public very soon. TV's with higher refresh rates should reduce the amount of tearing (some to basically none at all), that's why people are seeing different levels of it depending on their style of tv.

Glad to hear, more than anything, the great positive feedback we're getting back from the people who've bought and played the game.

TeamXbox just added their review... 9/10
Ah that's explains a lot :) thanks for the update..

I hope it will be greatly reduced on my Panasonic Plasma. I am kinda busy now on my work so won't be playing until the patch is released.

man, I haven't gotten this feeling since playing legacy of kain soul reave on dreamcast. Just love the atmoshphere all around. The menu system is even awesome. I love looking through vulgrims stuff cuz of how cool the menu is.

I think the thing that stands out most are the animations. They are just really brutal and hard hitting all around. I love seeing new joe mad art and this is even better. I can just see his influence in all of the environments and models.

Kobiekun

Picked up the PS3 version and have sunk about 2 hours into Apocalyptic mode. I'm really enjoying all aspects of the game so far. I'm currently
fighting the 4 challenges in order to gain entrance to Tiamat's dungeon

KevinCow

Banned
I think I've finally gotten past the last sequence in the game I spoiled for myself by stupidly watching every preview I could find. So most of the rest of the game should be fresh for me, except I do know what two of the gear items I don't have are.

Firestorm said:

Just RT works. LT just locks on.

Also, keep in mind that it can be used for combat. It doesn't do much damage, but you can use it to knock enemies off cliffs and stuff.

very addictive game. i like the fights because if you aren't paying attention even a normal group of opponents can go to town on you. i can't really think of too many negatives at this point but everytime i hear mark hamil it just reminds me he says he'll never do jokers voice again :(

Spruchy

Just completed the first dungeon, which would be the answer to my previous question. To those so acting so defensive, give me a break the first hour of the game was some below average action game stuff.

MMaRsu

Haunted said:
First Zelda, now this. Darksiders has my attention and I really want to give it a chance with some of the illustrious comparisons that have been drawn in this thread. But... I can't justify just plunking down the money considering

• all the other games coming out in the next two months
  • it's by an unknown and unproven developer
  • some of the impressions have been mixed
  • there's no demo available

Really, having a demo would go a long way already.

Dude you really need to pick up this game if you enjoy games. Lol.

I was playing last night and after the second dungeon, on the way to the third one I just felt so fucking badass! The art is awesome, and the places you go to are equally awesome. THIS GAME ROCKS.

And there are no mixed impressions dude.

bdouble

Truant said:
The scale goes from 7 to 10, so I would say the impressions are MIXED AS FUCK.
k. Makes no sense. Even those low scores they had contradictions in the review and the text and score didn't really match up.

They all seem pretty positive to me. Especially if you at the slightest bit interested in an old school adventure game.

I really wish I had the money to play this. Hopefully I can scrounge up enough soon. The impressions in this thread really make me want to play it

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay, so I played a couple hours and quit right after the Panzer Dragoon segment. I know that you guys are saying this is the "weak" part of the game but I'll give some early impressions anyway.

Combat system is suitably different to not really refer to it as God of War ripoff. It's not really the kind of system like a GoW or DMC where you can essentially mix between light and strong attacks. It lacks that kind of flexibility. However, you still have a lot of tools at your disposal, so it's still varied enough that it doesn't feel liike Dynasty Warriors or something. Evading is a bit hit-or-miss. Evading backwards usually doesn't bear fruit because enemies tend to move forward a lot, so you'll often get hit right after evading. Evading to the side does work better, but sometimes you can get hit then too. My best method seems to hit the evade button multiple times if I see an attack coming. The finishers are perfect. They're not too long, not too short, look awesome, and you can pull one off fluidly off of a normal combo. They feel much more natural than they do in God of War. Overall, the combat system isn't Ninja Gaiden or DMC level awesome, but still very satisfying and yes, very "visceral". I know that's a cliche, but I think it works.

Presentation is pretty good. Lots of color in the environments and I've already seen multiple landscapes in just the first couple hours. Playing on 360 and yeah, tearing is kinda bad. Luckily for me, tearing is more of an annoyance and not a dealbreaker. As said before in this thread, animations are also fantastic, especially the finishers.

Definitely diggin' it so far, which bodes well for the rest of the game.

Arde5643

Truant said:
The scale goes from 7 to 10, so I would say the impressions are MIXED AS FUCK.
Generally we say impressions are mixed when some reviewers loathe the game (1-5) while others luurvs it (7-10).

I don't know since when 7-10 scale is mixed impressions.

hteng

Banned
ZealousD said:
Okay, so I played a couple hours and quit right after the Panzer Dragoon segment. I know that you guys are saying this is the "weak" part of the game but I'll give some early impressions anyway.

Combat system is suitably different to not really refer to it as God of War ripoff. It's not really the kind of system like a GoW or DMC where you can essentially mix between light and strong attacks. It lacks that kind of flexibility. However, you still have a lot of tools at your disposal, so it's still varied enough that it doesn't feel liike Dynasty Warriors or something. Evading is a bit hit-or-miss. Evading backwards usually doesn't bear fruit because enemies tend to move forward a lot, so you'll often get hit right after evading. Evading to the side does work better, but sometimes you can get hit then too. My best method seems to hit the evade button multiple times if I see an attack coming. The finishers are perfect. They're not too long, not too short, look awesome, and you can pull one off fluidly off of a normal combo. They feel much more natural than they do in God of War. Overall, the combat system isn't Ninja Gaiden or DMC level awesome, but still very satisfying and yes, very "visceral". I know that's a cliche, but I think it works.

Presentation is pretty good. Lots of color in the environments and I've already seen multiple landscapes in just the first couple hours. Playing on 360 and yeah, tearing is kinda bad. Luckily for me, tearing is more of an annoyance and not a dealbreaker. As said before in this thread, animations are also fantastic, especially the finishers.

Definitely diggin' it so far, which bodes well for the rest of the game.

the combat actually gets more mixed and stylish once you get all your skills. But only works on enemies you can juggle or stagger, bigger enemies still remain a hit and run deal.

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
BluWacky said:
Is it going to be £50 in Forbidden Planet like it is on their website do you know?

Yes it will be the same price as it is on the Forbidden Planet website either buying through the site or at the store itself on Thursday. :)

KevinCow

Banned
The fourth dungeon boss is a piece of shit. I must be missing something, because it seems pretty much impossible to doge consistently. And on top of that, when you die, it starts you outside its lair with only three health tanks and no way to restore the rest of your health.

Whatever, I'll just come back to it tomorrow. Maybe I'll figure something out then.

Firestorm

Got to the Jailer miniboss in the Twilight Cathedral before I had to stop. Was not feeling the game up until the dungeon but damn, now I'm really into it. Great miniboss battle. Reminded me a lot of Zelda as did some of the puzzles in the dungeon (lol boomerang). Combat is still weak I find, but enjoying the puzzles.

I hope that tearing patch comes out like tomorrow :(

Xater

Firestorm said:
Got to the Jailer miniboss in the Twilight Cathedral before I had to stop. Was not feeling the game up until the dungeon but damn, now I'm really into it. Great miniboss battle. Reminded me a lot of Zelda as did some of the puzzles in the dungeon (lol boomerang). Combat is still weak I find, but enjoying the puzzles.

Yeah it takes while to get going but when you hit the first dungeon it gets awesome.

BTW: Riding on a fucking hell horse is bad ass. :D

eXistor

Firestorm said:

Good to see, I played up until the first dungeon yesterday and the game was getting better but I wasn't really feeling it either. I knew the first few hours weren't too hot so I'm still optimistic that the game is really gonna get into its own about now. Shame I won't be able to play it today (going to finally see Avatar after work today).

Feindflug

sinnergy said:
Ah that's explains a lot :) thanks for the update..

I hope it will be greatly reduced on my Panasonic Plasma. I am kinda busy now on my work so won't be playing until the patch is released.

Great news that the fix/patch is coming soon, I'll wait for it to continue the game so I guess today I'll start to find all the feathers in AC2 and continue playing the Zombie Island in Borderlands.

Last time I played almost 2hrs and got to the Twilight Cathedral (Apocalyptic) and I freakin' love the game so far, can't wait to play more. Soul Reaver+Zelda+great combat system = Darksiders, it's that simple and awesome. :)

Arde5643 said:
Generally we say impressions are mixed when some reviewers loathe the game (1-5) while others luurvs it (7-10).

I don't know since when 7-10 scale is mixed impressions.

I can't stand this type of ignorance. How often do you actually see marks lower than a 7,5? Big budget games like this usually score in the 8,5 - 9,5 range. Everything below that is often mediocre i.e. bad.

MMaRsu

612702-1miss-richfield-oh-my-gawd-posters1.jpg

I just got Ruin.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWESOME

Fallout-NL said:
I can't stand this type of ignorance. How often do you actually see marks lower than a 7,5? Big budget games like this usually score in the 8,5 - 9,5 range. Everything below that is often mediocre i.e. bad.

I can't stand this type of ignorance either. 1 review scores a 7 and there are mixed reviews? Lol. Also, a 7 is bad these days? Then there's the fact that this isn't even a "big budget game".

So everything below a 8.5 is mediocre i.e bad in your view?

Vinlaen

What's the verdict on the PS3 vs 360 version?

I have absolutely no console preference but would just like to get the better version, if one exists.

MMaRsu

Vinlaen said:
What's the verdict on the PS3 vs 360 version?

I have absolutely no console preference but would just like to get the better version, if one exists.

Ps3 is the better version as of now. Until the 360 version gets a patch, it has screentearing. Not detrimental to my personal experience, but yeah, it's there.

MMaRsu said:
I can't stand this type of ignorance either. 1 review scores a 7 and there are mixed reviews? Lol. Also, a 7 is bad these days? Then there's the fact that this isn't even a "big budget game".

So everything below a 8.5 is mediocre i.e bad in your view?

Yes, a 7 is bad these days (and it has been for a long time). And you all fucking know it.

That said, there is no way in hell this game should have gotten a 7 by anyone, except maybe someone who hates awesome games.

Moving on, I've just seen the first 15 minutes of gameplay at my brother's, who's gotten the 360 version. The tearing really isn't that bad, but if it's non-existent on the PS3 I might get the PS3 version. It's not that the 360 version has tearing, but a better framerate than the PS3 version?

Top Bottom