• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

hdn

Vigil Games Dev
nacire said:
I was wondering if we could get HDN to comment on this? I don't want to know what it is, but I'm wondering why some of us don't have it? Is it only packaged in the xbox 360 version, because I picked up the ps3 version.

I haven't spoke to THQ about what the code is for, but my impression was that it was a sweetener for people who missed out on the pre-orders. So, people who just picked it up at the time of release at least got a lil' somethin' somethin'....but I could be wrong...plus, lets not spoil the surprise, because right now I don't know what it is either :/

Oh, and apparently, they're only doing the codes in the initial batch/run of the game. So, I guess if you don't get it early, you may not get one. That's all I got :(

Ricker

Wow i`m really pissed that i can`t kill the first Boss Tiamat...can I go back out grab some of that stone that heals or something...I get him down on the ground now easily but i`m not even sure if my B button press is working or not...why does he throw a fireball at me from the air that i can`t evade after I hit the B button...shouldn`t I be doing the damage not him...no chest around also and I only have 2 green bars up to that point...i`m not restarting this shit on easy.

orion434

Ricker said:
Wow i`m really pissed that i can`t kill the first Boss Tiamat...can I go back out grab some of that stone that heals or something...I get him down on the ground now easily but i`m not even sure if my B button press is working or not...why does he throw a fireball at me from the air that i can`t evade after I hit the B button...shouldn`t I be doing the damage not him...no chest around also and I only have 2 green bars up to that point...i`m not restarting this shit on easy.

Lt to lock-on, Rt to charge the Crossblade... just keep circiling her. Whe she shoots fireballs dash to the side. The hardest part is dodging the claw-sweeps, after that it's pretty easy, you can also go back to the beginning and buy a Health item if needed.

Wizman23

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
Shitload of screen tearing on the 360. Laughably bad imo, but I'm still playing it.

Wow I'm glad I just play games to have fun and don't let stupid shit like this bother me. I game on a 1080p projector on a 110 inch screen and still didn't notice any tearing because I was having too much dam fun playing the game last night. Was the bitching and whining this bad in past generations??

Xater

Ricker said:

I don't understand this part. You are doing something wrong. Tiamant does the ground punce which you just have to get away from. Then it also shoots firballs which can be easily evaded by the dash. When the fucker charges you you have to pres B/Square multiple times and War will punch Tiamat in the face. Then it's stunned and you can slash it.

Victrix

*beard*
Wizman23 said:
Wow I'm glad I just play games to have fun and don't let stupid shit like this bother me. I game on a 1080p projector on a 110 inch screen and still didn't notice any tearing because I was having too much dam fun playing the game last night. Was the bitching and whining this bad in past generations??

While driving my Ferrari and getting a blowjob by a supermodel, I reflected that I only drive for the enjoyment of the road

Skilletor

Wizman23 said:

Screen tearing gives me headaches. When it's really bad, it's literally a pain for me to play. It's not "stupid shit."

I figured out my problem in the Cathedral. Apparently I missed the prompt saying that you could imbue the Rasenshuriken with elements. I feel dumb. It was ridiculously obvious after I found that out (as I knew it would be).

MMaRsu

Opus Angelorum said:
I've looked at a lot of videos and the only concern I have are for the environments, they look bland and lifeless.

A large component of this game is exploration, is there enough variation and distinctiveness between each of the areas through to the end of the experience?

Very much so! You start in a city enviroment, but quickly move on to a more green jungle like dungeon ( well not quickly, but you'll get there ). After that there is a desert enviroment as well.

But the enviroments arent bland or lifeless at all imo.

Wizman23 said:

Go fuck yourself. I have over a hundred 360 games and only a couple have this kind of problem. It annoys me. Maybe you should take your own advice and just have fun instead of trying to shout down people who have different opinions than yours.

John

MMaRsu said:
Very much so! You start in a city enviroment, but quickly move on to a more green jungle like dungeon ( well not quickly, but you'll get there ). After that there is a desert enviroment as well.

But the enviroments arent bland or lifeless at all imo.
Yeah, I'm in the fourth dungeon right now, don't want to spoil it, but it's a very, very neat take on (don't read)
the standard "ice level" palette.

Xater

John said:
Yeah, I'm in the fourth dungeon right now, don't want to spoil it, but it's a very, very neat take on (don't read)
the standard "ice level" palette.

The one after the next is even better imo. :D

BigNastyCurve said:
Go fuck yourself. I have over a hundred 360 games and only a couple have this kind of problem. It annoys me. Maybe you should take your own advice and just have fun instead of trying to shout down people who have different opinions than yours.
batman_avatar.jpg

whysoserious.gif

Dude Abides

Banned
Picked this up (PS3) and I'm surprised at how much I enjoy the combat. I wish the window for chaining combos was a bit wider, though.

Xater

Also when you get the glove weaon you can use it to interrupt some attacks from bigger enemies. Made the game a bit easier on Apocalyptic.

Frostburn

Wizman23 said:
There really wasn't any screen tearing in previous generations except maybe in the PC. Game performance on fixed consoles is a problem with the current gen hardware and there is nothing the consumer can do to help the issue which is why it is a concern. I have not bought the game yet because of the reports.

The screen tearing has always been a noticable thing for me in games, maybe I'm just used to smooth PC gaming and now that the games on consoles have caught up quite a bit the difference is easy for me to see. Then again, if I know a patch is coming out for a game I want to play I will wait for the patch before I start playing it. I know no game is perfect but I don't want to beta test a "shipped" game and be annoyed with issues that will take away from my enjoyment of playing.

I'm glad the devs are taking steps to fix the screen tearing in Darksiders because it looks like an amazing game and I look forward to buying and playing it when they iron out the issue.

TwIsTeD

does this really get better after the first 20 mins? Cause to me its the artstyle of WoW with a fairly crappy camera, and all the breaks in action so far have really bothered me, granted i had a few beers before hand but it was kinda meh

TwIsTeD said:
does this really get better after the first 20 mins? Cause to me its the artstyle of WoW with a fairly crappy camera, and all the breaks in action so far have really bothered me, granted i had a few beers before hand but it was kinda meh

Do you really have to ask? Just look at most of the posts on the thread? Damn son...put those beers down!

EzLink

Banned
TwIsTeD said:
You only played 20 minutes? Yeah dude, the game opens up a lot and gets progressively more badass

eXistor

TwIsTeD said:
The first hour and a half or something aren't anything special. The first 20 minutes are terrible (linear sub-par action game). I didn't get the chance to play the game yesterday so I'm still in the beginning of the first dungeon, but it's supposesd to really pick up at this point.

TwIsTeD

alright i`ll dive back in :lol

thanks for all the quick good replies, I was just hoping this wasnt one of those GAF traps that I fell into again cause my buddy was an hour in and said it was just ok

batbeg

Any chance that code is going to be for War's alternative skin? Or do you unlock that by beating the game? I know when I saw Vigil showing it off Joe was playing with an alternative skin (which doesn't show up in cut-scenes, btw).

TwIsTeD said:

20 minutes? Well shit dude, you're already halfway through the game, I'd say just force your way through those next 20 minutes and enjoy the greatest gaming experience God has granted man.

batbeg said:
20 minutes? Well shit dude, you're already halfway through the game, I'd say just force your way through those next 20 minutes and enjoy the greatest gaming experience God has granted man.
:lol

Xater

batbeg said:
Any chance that code is going to be for War's alternative skin? Or do you unlock that by beating the game? I know when I saw Vigil showing it off Joe was playing with an alternative skin (which doesn't show up in cut-scenes, btw).

Do you mean the abysmal armor you unlock when you find all the parts?

Ricker

I don`t mind the city hub,I think it looks good but yeah,once you hit the first dungeon,it`s awesome....finally beat Tiamat,thanks for the tips guys,although it took me about 10 B button prompt to kill him/her...not too crazy about some of those arena events on a timer though,,I whish they would of made those optional in a way,having to pull them off to proceed to another area can be a little annoying...also can`t I change back what I forged or added on my main weapon,I had the one that does more damage but changed it for the one that gives more blue souls,Ican`t seem to change them back now?...

MMaRsu

Ricker said:
I don`t mind the city hub,I think it looks good but yeah,once you hit the first dungeon,it`s awesome....finally beat Tiamat,thanks for the tips guys,although it took me about 10 B button prompt to kill him/her...not too crazy about some of those arena events on a timer though,,I whish they would of made those optional in a way,having to pull them off to proceed to another area can be a little annoying...also can`t I change back what I forged or added on my main weapon,I had the one that does more damage but changed it for the one that gives more blue souls,Ican`t seem to change them back now?...

Press start, go to the selection screen and press A when you are over the thing you want to take out of the sword.

Spike

hdn said:
I haven't spoke to THQ about what the code is for, but my impression was that it was a sweetener for people who missed out on the pre-orders. So, people who just picked it up at the time of release at least got a lil' somethin' somethin'....but I could be wrong...plus, lets not spoil the surprise, because right now I don't know what it is either :/

Oh, and apparently, they're only doing the codes in the initial batch/run of the game. So, I guess if you don't get it early, you may not get one. That's all I got :(

I got my launch PS3 version but there was no code in there. :(

Actually, did anyone in Canada get one with the code?

My guess is that it will probably be the comic for the PSP.

see5harp

Frostburn said:
The screen tearing has always been a noticable thing for me in games, maybe I'm just used to smooth PC gaming and now that the games on consoles have caught up quite a bit the difference is easy for me to see. Then again, if I know a patch is coming out for a game I want to play I will wait for the patch before I start playing it. I know no game is perfect but I don't want to beta test a "shipped" game and be annoyed with issues that will take away from my enjoyment of playing.

It's not hard to spot screen tearing. I notice the tearing in Wipeout HD and Uncharted. If you've played PC games this is not a new thing. The framerate is pretty solid in this game and to me a little tearing here and there doesn't ruin the experience.

TheFallen

Opus Angelorum said:
I've looked at a lot of videos and the only concern I have are for the environments, they look bland and lifeless.

A large component of this game is exploration, is there enough variation and distinctiveness between each of the areas through to the end of the experience?
Absolutely, every new area is unique. In the span of 2 hours, I went from gothic cathedral to a lush oasis, off to a post-apocalyptic destroyed highway, sewers, and then a subway station.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Alright, so yesterday I played through enough that I just made it to the Ashlands, so here's some more of my impressions.

The Twilight Cathedral was definitely a very fun first dungeon. It's deceptively large and I'm glad it isn't like most Zelda games where the first dungeon is way too easy. Using swords as keys is definitely a fun idea. All of the puzzles were really good and some of them even made me think outside the box a bit. [/spoiler]The best puzzle was in the room with the rotating bridge, where you have to make a chain reaction of the exploding bomb growths.
The crossblade is also a cool weapon. Even though it has obvious ties to the boomerang in Zelda its combat uses make it even better. I also thought Tiamat was a fun boss myself.

Ulthane section:
I really liked the battle you had between Ulthane. The angels are fun to fight because you have to change your tactics up a bit. The part where you pick up the gun is surprisingly strategic on Apocalyptic. Videos made it look took easy. I usually ended up hiding between the ice walls and using charged shots, always keeping mindful of angels that were about to shoot, trying to knock them all to the ground before going after any others.

The Hollows:
Very interesting dungeon. I think it's awesome how you interact with the Griever from the very onset and how she pops up randomly throughout the dungeon. Gives a bit more believability to the fact that she lives there, rather than her just chillin' in the boss room all the time. I really liked several puzzles in this dungeon. The one where you're pushing the block across several platforms. The one where you're moving the train car. And also the one where you're trying to get the gears unstuck. The Griever was also a very fun bosses, and the ending animation where you're finishing her off is so brutal!

Overall, I'm glad that the dungeons in this game are very good. It's obvious they've learned a lot from Zelda but they have some of their own ideas too. Also, does anybody know that old adage about Zelda? "When in doubt, use fire." Yeah, that works in Darksiders too.

batbeg

Xater said:
Do you mean the abysmal armor you unlock when you find all the parts?

Probably that, then, not sure. I recall it was dark black with spikes or some shit. Or maybe more similar to earlier artwork, I don't really remember.

ZealousD said:
Alright, so yesterday I played through enough that I just made it to the Ashlands, so here's some more of my impressions.

The Twilight Cathedral was definitely a very fun first dungeon. It's deceptively large and I'm glad it isn't like most Zelda games where the first dungeon is way too easy. Using swords as keys is definitely a fun idea. All of the puzzles were really good and some of them even made me think outside the box a bit.
The best puzzle was in the room with the rotating bridge, where you have to make a chain reaction of the exploding bomb growths.
The crossblade is also a cool weapon. Even though it has obvious ties to the boomerang in Zelda its combat uses make it even better. I also thought Tiamat was a fun boss myself.

Ulthane section:
I really liked the battle you had between Ulthane. The angels are fun to fight because you have to change your tactics up a bit. The part where you pick up the gun is surprisingly strategic on Apocalyptic. Videos made it look took easy. I usually ended up hiding between the ice walls and using charged shots, always keeping mindful of angels that were about to shoot, trying to knock them all to the ground before going after any others.

The Hollows:
Very interesting dungeon. I think it's awesome how you interact with the Griever from the very onset and how she pops up randomly throughout the dungeon. Gives a bit more believability to the fact that she lives there, rather than her just chillin' in the boss room all the time. I really liked several puzzles in this dungeon. The one where you're pushing the block across several platforms. The one where you're moving the train car. And also the one where you're trying to get the gears unstuck. The Griever was also a very fun bosses, and the ending animation where you're finishing her off is so brutal!

Overall, I'm glad that the dungeons in this game are very good. It's obvious they've learned a lot from Zelda but they have some of their own ideas too. Also, does anybody know that old adage about Zelda? "When in doubt, use fire." Yeah, that works in Darksiders too.

Pretty much mirrors my thoughts on the game! I actually loved the next area. It was a good mix up from what you have been doing. The fourth dungeon is very cool as well! I got stumped on something extremely simlistic though, my fault entirely.

So now I'm in the final dungeon I beleive and its massive! If you haven't felt your brain pushed to figure out puzzles well get ready. I have had a hell of a time here. Probably put about 2 hours in it so far and just got to the third part of the dungeon. Yeah its that long.

Overall so far Darksiders is a great game and its quite possible one of my favorite adventure games of all time. Yep I went there! :D Can't wait to get home and finish it up tonight! :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, in summary the differences between the SKUs are:

360: Better textures, better framerate, severe tearing
PS3: Worse textures, worse framerate, less tearing

Any other differences between them? Has anyone played both versions? How much worse is the framerate in the PS3 sku?

Trying to decide which one to pick up.

Minamu

Preordered it today! Will pick up tomorrow & I'm excited but I'm sorry, Bayonetta comes first. Devs have my money though ^^

FlyinJ said:
So, in summary the differences between the SKUs are:

360: Better textures, better framerate, severe tearing
PS3: Worse textures, worse framerate, less tearing

Any other differences between them? Has anyone played both versions? How much worse is the framerate in the PS3 sku?

Trying to decide which one to pick up.
What the hell? It's only been a few days & the ps3 version has already gone from being the superior version to get to being the gimped as always version? geez.

bestami

I am around 10 hours in and i'm started to get bored with the game. When i open a door and see a huge room with switches and shit all around it i quit out of the game :p. The thing that bothers me is that the puzzles aren't that complicated and usually they are pretty easy and obvious. I normally wouldn't mind that but after getting in to a huge room and find out the solution almost instantly, going around pulling switches, moving boxes, and run/jump around for minutes becomes a chore for me. The dungeon i'm in at the moment is pretty linear and puzzle heavy so i might get into the game again after i am done with this place.

Minamu said:
Preordered it today! Will pick up tomorrow & I'm excited but I'm sorry, Bayonetta comes first. Devs have my money though ^^

What the hell? It's only been a few days & the ps3 version has already gone from being the superior version to get to being the gimped as always version? geez.

the two versions of the game are almost identical (except for the tearing on the 360). It is not that big of a difference.

Top Bottom