• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Hawk269

So I am still in the Cathederal and enjoying it very much. For those that finished or are much farther than I am, are the other main areas like this (dungeons) as expansive as the cathederal?

Still blown away by this game....

SamBishop

Banned
Varth said:
I think everybody does, at the beginning.

It was a risky move going from a gorgeous Blur-made CG intro to the actual in-game graphics -- especially when the first half-hour or so of the game is so basic in look and feel. Darksiders is the game that continually builds on itself in terms of look and feel, though, so the longer you play, the better the whole art style gets. By the time you get to the Black Hammer (okay, maybe The Ashlands), if you aren't genuinely impressed, I don't think I want to know you.

Oh, and bans need to be handed out for those even introducing that other game by name that was released on the same day to this thread. I'm playing it now and they are worlds apart.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Almost to the first dungeon, yay. I'm playing on Apocalypse and got my ass handed to me at the start of the game, though I'm atleast getting into a groove now. Doing the 30 instant kill challenge room thing was a relief to get done on my first try, I nearly died at the end but played keep away and managed to scrape by.

dralla

Papercuts said:
Almost to the first dungeon, yay. I'm playing on Apocalypse and got my ass handed to me at the start of the game, though I'm atleast getting into a groove now. Doing the 30 instant kill challenge room thing was a relief to get done on my first try, I nearly died at the end but played keep away and managed to scrape by.

I just died on 29 :\

is the 'weapon master' item a timed thing or something you equip

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
MMaRsu said:
Yes! Ps3 has no screentearing if I am correct. 360 version should be fixed with a patch soon though :). It doesn't bother me that much, however I don't have an HDTV so it's not that bad. But I do notice it, and normally I do not.

Thanks. Picking it up now. :D

berva

Neo Member
Sidzed2 said:
The Tiamat fight is pretty awful, albeit visually spectacular. The mechanics are janky as all heck - I hope things improve.

Anyway, this game is pretty engaging overall. In terms of gameplay, this is the game I thought I would be getting with Brutal Legend (I wasn't aware of how much emphasis that title would place on its RTS-lite sequences). Seems to be a solid mix of exploration and combat.

I must say, I hate War's jumping mechanics. He feels so slow and unresponsive. In fact, I would say that the controls are the principal thing about Darksiders which make it feel a little unpolished in places.

Yeah I think the game is a lot of fun, however I think the controls need a bit of work. I have fallen off rocks and ledges when I'm pretty damn sure I have pressed A to jump and War hasn't responded. Regarding the first boss Tiamat, the fight is terrible, hopefully they improve on the boss fights as the game goes on.

check out this link: http://darksiders.wikia.com/wiki/Darksiders_Wiki

El-Suave

I just finished the first dungeon and beat Tiamat.
I'm still very impressed by the game - I love that they don't do too much handholding for the player as far as puzzles are concerned. That approach feels just perfect so far.
I'm not so sure about the combat yet - I had more trouble with the boss than I probably should have had. I blame it on the fact that the game seems to be very reliant on dodging while I personally prefer to block.

Can't wait to get the horse, I hope that's coming soon.

SamBishop

Banned
berva said:
Yeah I think the game is a lot of fun, however I think the controls need a bit of work. I have fallen off rocks and ledges when I'm pretty damn sure I have pressed A to jump and War hasn't responded. Regarding the first boss Tiamat, the fight is terrible, hopefully they improve on the boss fights as the game goes on.

check out this link: http://darksiders.wikia.com/wiki/Darksiders_Wiki

Jump early. It's a rule of thumb just about everywhere in the game and once you gain the ability to glide, they really don't force you to take any precise leaps (the lock-on for a ledge grab is also pretty damn forgiving). I know it sucks, and I had to mention it in the review, but you will get used to it and once you do there are very few -- if any -- cheap falling deaths.

Neverfade

dralla said:
I just died on 29 :\

is the 'weapon master' item a timed thing or something you equip

Equip or passive, can't remember.

Either way, it doesn't get used up, which is the answer you're looking for, I assume.

Seems most reviews complaing of Wars voice actor, but mr.bishop liked him. I've put in about 2 hours and all I gather is War is badass. I like the fact he sort of gives one liners alot. If he doesn't like something, he just kills it with his sword. whats to say?

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Seems most reviews complaing of Wars voice actor, but mr.bishop liked him. I've put in about 2 hours and all I gather is War is badass. I like the fact he sort of gives one liners alot. If he doesn't like something, he just kills it with his sword. whats to say?

I actually was just talking about this today! I really like the voice acting for War. He sounds gruff and badass and rather emotionless. Which he should. He is a horseman of the apocolypse. He shouldn't have much emotion. He was told to right his wrongs, figure out what happened, and he is going to get shit done.

John

Linkzg said:
So far (3 hours in) the first dungeon was awesome, but the combat is really dull. I wish this was a lot less of an action game, or a lot better of an action game. The boss battle at the end of the dungeon was half cool and half crap because it changed between a Zelda style boss to a crummy "slash until it's dead" boss. Only other complaint is the movement speed of War is really slow, and since you can't dash nonstop, it can get annoying.
You can dash continually actually, just don't do the same direction twice in a row.

I'm loving the PS3 version. I want to take a break and give Bayonetta (360) a spin, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I even got Killzone 2 on the same day with some leftover credit, but I haven't touched it yet. It's bittersweet... I was home sick from work... my throat is on fire, but at least I got to play Darksiders all day! Actually, I'd rather have been healthy at work.

The combat is great. Not too complicated, but varied enough (when you throw in a non-grunt monster) to keep it interesting. It took me quite a few tries to kill Tiamat, but I did manage it with the life beep in full swing. I really wish more developers would blatantly copy great game ideas. I love Zelda. I also love HD graphics.

Kishgal

Banned
I really wish this game had separate settings for inverting the X axis for the regular camera and for the aiming mode. I have to switch it every time I go between those two modes. :\

KevinCow

Banned
SamBishop said:
there are very few -- if any -- cheap falling deaths.

There are no falling deaths period, actually. Falling into pits only takes a bit of your health, and once your health gets below a certain point it stops taking health away at all.

:p

MMaRsu

Kevin, any tips for the fourth boss? This fucking bitch keeps on killing me. I think I'm doing it right, but perhaps not lol :p.

luffeN

just finished the game on normal with a friend and it took us 16 hours. really great game. maybe it's just me but does darksiders have the biggest input lag recently? it's like when you press jump there is a noticable time before War actually executes the command.

other than that it's an epic game for sure.

KevinCow

Banned
MMaRsu said:
Kevin, any tips for the fourth boss? This fucking bitch keeps on killing me. I think I'm doing it right, but perhaps not lol :p.

When she's teleporting around the room, let go of your lock-on and basically just run around in a big circle. When you hear her teleport in, dash out of the way. Her shadow on the ground is a good (albeit not perfect) reference for where not to be. If you don't see her shadow, just dash in the direction you're running. You'll probably still get hit a few times, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Other than that, just grapple her when she's actually standing still to pull yourself in and get a few hits in. You'll only get two or three hits each time, but it'll whittle her down after a bit.

Speaking of bosses, I really wish they hadn't taken out the boss health bars that they had in some of the demos. I hate not knowing if my attacks are actually doing anything to a boss.

Tokubetsu

KevinCow said:
When she's teleporting around the room, let go of your lock-on and basically just run around in a big circle. When you hear her teleport in, dash out of the way. Her shadow on the ground is a good (albeit not perfect) reference for where not to be. If you don't see her shadow, just dash in the direction you're running. You'll probably still get hit a few times, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Other than that, just grapple her when she's actually standing still to pull yourself in and get a few hits in. You'll only get two or three hits each time, but it'll whittle her down after a bit.

Speaking of bosses, I really wish they hadn't taken out the boss health bars that they had in some of the demos. I hate not knowing if my attacks are actually doing anything to a boss.

Yeah same. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the lack of health bars.

Skilletor

Some help in the Twilight Cathedral, please:

I just got to an area with a long bridge, and some bombs that are "ignited by fire" or some such. It feels like I've missed something, or I'm really stupid, because I don't know what I'm supposed to do here...

Dear Vigil,

Great game, though please fix the blocking . It is not responsive enough, especially after a dash .

For example, I hit dash, then immediately hit the button again so that when I come out of the dash i will be blocking, but War just stands there .

Some anti-aliasing would be great too .

John

Skilletor said:
Some help in the Twilight Cathedral, please:

I just got to an area with a long bridge, and some bombs that are "ignited by fire" or some such. It feels like I've missed something, or I'm really stupid, because I don't know what I'm supposed to do here...
The spinning bridge? What I did (not sure if it's what you're supposed to do) is make a chain of six or so on the wall leading to the red blow-up-able-wall, then ignite the one closest to me.

Skilletor

MentalNoiz said:
Dear Vigil,

Great game, though please fix the blocking . It is not responsive enough, especially after a dash .

For example, I hit dash, then immediately hit the button again so that when I come out of the dash i will be blocking, but War just stands there .

Some anti-aliasing would be great too .

He has recovery after a dash.

John said:
The spinning bridge? What I did (not sure if it's what you're supposed to do) is make a chain of six or so on the wall leading to the red blow-up-able-wall, then ignite the one closest to me.

How do you ignite the bombs?

Just picked the game up and put 1 hour into the game. I'm not impressed with the combat at all. It's pretty shitty so far and the block button is worthless. You can't block while your moving! Who thought that was a good idea. Block and dodge should not be on the same button. Graphics aren't that great either. But the boxart is cool.

John

Skilletor said:
How do you ignite the bombs?
You're at the little ledge where there's a red wall, a benign bomb dispenser, and an active bomb dispenser on the wall, right? Throw benign bombs in a chain between the red wall and the active bomb dispenser, then use your boomerang to blow up the active bomb.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
cjelly said:
I thought HDN (or whatever the devs GAF name is, sorry), said they were going to start work on DLC?

I don't think Vigil has ever said that they're doing DLC. Though they are working on a 360 patch to fix the tearing.

Ricker

Man this game went from awesome to frustrating pretty fast ,until I beat the Tiamat Boss anyway...too many click this push that while trying to avoid his fireball,I managed to get him on the ground 2 times,then I had a ``B`` button prompt and thought I had him but alas...your health goes down kinda fast also...I have about 3000 blue souls thing,they could of placed the Volthrum guy in there somewhere at least,one of the clunkiest Boss fight in a while.

Skilletor

John said:
You're at the little ledge where there's a red wall, a benign bomb dispenser, and an active bomb dispenser on the wall, right? Throw benign bombs in a chain between the red wall and the active bomb dispenser, then use your boomerang to blow up the active bomb.

Hmm...I don't see the second part of the equation. I stopped playing for now. Maybe I'll see it when I turn it back on. :D

Oneself

If you guys have any trouble at Tiamat (the first boss) I guess it's because you don't use the L2/RT lock-on enough. Once you get it, it's easy as fuck, seriously.

Oneself

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
...the block button is worthless..... Block and dodge should not be on the same button.

This.

Also, Vulgrim is awesome. He sounds like an undead rapist or something.:lol "nice swoooord... uhm you like that uh?" ....

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Oneself said:
If you guys have any trouble at Tiamat (the first boss) I guess it's because you don't use the L2/RT lock-on enough. Once you get it, it's easy as fuck, seriously.

My problem was being too aggressive(On Apocalyptic). The first part is insanely easy, but it all went to hell after she landed. Instead of going in for a quick 3 hits I kept overstaying my welcome and that jumping smash always got me, or even worse the swipe which kills you in around two hits. Once I slowed it down I ended up beating the fight without getting hit, which was pretty awesome.

Oneself said:

Pretty much. If Shinobi taught me anything, it was to lock on to anything that moves.

Minus a late jump or two, I've just noticed the controls being completely serviceable, nothing game breaking.

Great
fucking
game.

ZealousD said:
Okay, so I played a couple hours and quit right after the Panzer Dragoon segment. I know that you guys are saying this is the "weak" part of the game but I'll give some early impressions anyway.

Combat system is suitably different to not really refer to it as God of War ripoff. It's not really the kind of system like a GoW or DMC where you can essentially mix between light and strong attacks. It lacks that kind of flexibility. However, you still have a lot of tools at your disposal, so it's still varied enough that it doesn't feel liike Dynasty Warriors or something. Evading is a bit hit-or-miss. Evading backwards usually doesn't bear fruit because enemies tend to move forward a lot, so you'll often get hit right after evading. Evading to the side does work better, but sometimes you can get hit then too. My best method seems to hit the evade button multiple times if I see an attack coming. The finishers are perfect. They're not too long, not too short, look awesome, and you can pull one off fluidly off of a normal combo. They feel much more natural than they do in God of War. Overall, the combat system isn't Ninja Gaiden or DMC level awesome, but still very satisfying and yes, very "visceral". I know that's a cliche, but I think it works.

Presentation is pretty good. Lots of color in the environments and I've already seen multiple landscapes in just the first couple hours. Playing on 360 and yeah, tearing is kinda bad. Luckily for me, tearing is more of an annoyance and not a dealbreaker. As said before in this thread, animations are also fantastic, especially the finishers.

Definitely diggin' it so far, which bodes well for the rest of the game.

I got up to the same point and called it a night yesterday and I'm largely of the same mind, I've really enjoyed what I've played thus far. The combat system is relatively simple, but that doesn't stop it from being enjoyable. I've purchased the scythe, which you can use as a secondary weapon on the fly with your sword and the horn, and have started to purchase moves for each weapon.

Korey

Papercuts said:
My problem was being too aggressive(On Apocalyptic). The first part is insanely easy, but it all went to hell after she landed. Instead of going in for a quick 3 hits I kept overstaying my welcome and that jumping smash always got me, or even worse the swipe which kills you in around two hits. Once I slowed it down I ended up beating the fight without getting hit, which was pretty awesome.
My complaint about that fight (or any fight really, but that's the only boss I've fought so far) is that there isn't a life bar for the boss so you have no idea how much longer it's going to last. Especially on Apocalyptic where I hear the only changes are more hp for your enemies and more damage to you. I must have went through 4-5 "B" cycles with him before he died.

dralla

general impression after finishing the first dungeon. Game is much better action/adventure than just straight action. Combat is getting more fun with more moves/items. Game lacks polish, the animations specifically. Voice acting is surprisingly believable. Game started off slow but is picking up. Hope it stays adventure-y.

I will say that War definitely has the best 'overdrive' mode of all the action games. turning into that fire dragon is awesome

Oneself

dralla said:
I will say that War definitely has the best 'overdrive' mode of all the action games. turning into that fire dragon is awesome

And it comes quite handy when, while you're fighting 10 "normal" chaps, 3 bigger cheap fucks come out of nowhere.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
anyone fight a
pimp
looking demon fellow in the overworld?
has a top hat and cain?
turned on chaos form and he disappeared, haven't found him since

JdFoX187

Banned
You really have to love a game that allows you to rip a parking meter out of the ground and just beat the holy hell out of someone with it :lol

so yea, I picked this game up on all the word of mouth from friends I know in RL and reading all the hype on it in the threads on line....and omg...I cannot believe how good this game is. Where did this damn game come from? seriously...It's just...so many games wrapped into one yet its done so well. It's hard to put down.

Secondly...I cannot believe that both this game and bayonetta came out on the same day. 2 high quality games dropping on the same day randomly on some wierd tuesday in january. It's a shame these 2 games didn't come out before christmas cause they might have seen alot more sales cause they both deserve it.

Jan 5. 2010 - one of the best days in gaming ever.

Oneself

xir said:
anyone fight a
pimp
looking demon fellow in the overworld?
has a top hat and cain?
turned on chaos form and he disappeared, haven't found him since

Yup, fought that guy in a cavern, where the 2nd batch of challenges took place. Right after I got the gun and the ice breaking gauntlet, I started searching for ice walls to break and met him. He disappeared as soon as I hit him with a block counter attack.

linkboy

I picked this up today and played up to the council at the beginning at my play and trade and totally loved it.

Its installing on my 360 right now and I'm going to dive full bore into it after work tomorrow, can't wait.

batbeg

So, I've only just reached the Twilight Cathedral, and am really regretting having put it on Apocalyptic difficulty... that one tough enemy you meet on the highway with the giant claws? Yeah, he wiped me out literally dozens of times. And as I recall, you run into these fuckers by the bucketload later in the game.

Am going to have to force myself to work through the Twilight Cathedral, as it took me like 3 hours to beat it before @.@

I played for about 2 hours of this and then this horrible thought came to me.......the style and gameplay structure of Darksiders are what Brütal Legend should've been. I'm a sad, sad panda now. :(

Top Bottom