• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
FlyinJ said:
So, in summary the differences between the SKUs are:

360: Better textures, better framerate, severe tearing
PS3: Worse textures, worse framerate, less tearing

Any other differences between them? Has anyone played both versions? How much worse is the framerate in the PS3 sku?

Trying to decide which one to pick up.

PS3 version has the exact same textures. I also haven't heard of the PS3 version have worse framerate. The only thing wrong with the PS3 version is the contrast differences, which is pretty typical for most multiplatform games. And apparently the 360 version will have a tearing patch soon.

If you can't wait and you hate tearing, pick it up on PS3. Otherwise you can wait and see what happens after they fix the tearing on the 360 version.

forrest

formerly nacire
FlyinJ said:

Any other differences between them? Has anyone played both versions? How much worse is the framerate in the PS3 sku?

Wait this is the first time of heard of the textures being better. I'd have picked up the 360 version and waited for the patch if that's the case. I'm pretty sure some have said the 360 version is using AA as well.

NM about the textures, my worries have been calmed. :D

Firestorm

Wizman23 said:
Wow I'm glad I just play games to have fun and don't let stupid shit like this bother me. I game on a 1080p projector on a 110 inch screen and still didn't notice any tearing because I was having too much dam fun playing the game last night. Was the bitching and whining this bad in past generations??
Yeah who gives a shit if there's a shiny line splitting my screen in half every few frames. It doesn't hurt my eyes at all! Fuck off.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
ZealousD said:
PS3 version has the exact same textures. I also haven't heard of the PS3 version have worse framerate. The only thing wrong with the PS3 version is the contrast differences, which is pretty typical for most multiplatform games. And apparently the 360 version will have a tearing patch soon.

If you can't wait and you hate tearing, pick it up on PS3. Otherwise you can wait and see what happens after they fix the tearing on the 360 version.

Ah it's contrast differences. Ok, cool thanks. Sounds like the PS3 is the way to go.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Minamu said:
So FlyinJ is trolling, basically. Good to know :)

I definitely am not. I thought I read that the PS3 SKU had worse textures. I'm actually trying to decide on a SKU here.

Does the PS3 not have AA?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just got to the Twilight Cathedral. Finally. Ready for some Zelda action because I think it's fair to say the game starts pretty slowly.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
FlyinJ said:
I definitely am not. I thought I read that the PS3 SKU had worse textures. I'm actually trying to decide on a SKU here.

Does the PS3 not have AA?

having played both.
IDENTICAL.

Only 360 has pretty annoying tearing. depends on if you can notice it. i did immediately

Linkzg said:
How many levels are there for weapon upgrades? I hit level 3 and it doesn't seem like it's going any higher for the sword.

i think 4 since there are 4 symbols above your weapon that light up after leveling.

ZealousD

Linkzg said:
How many levels are there for weapon upgrades? I hit level 3 and it doesn't seem like it's going any higher for the sword.

There's 4 IIRC. Apparently the sword will automatically hit 4 once you forge the Armageddon blade. The scythe and gauntlet will likely take time to level, though.

DeadGzuz

Banned
How are they going to patch away tearing?

1) They raise the average frame rate and turn v-sync on. Ya sure...

2) They turn v-sync on, frame rate now chugs. 27fps is now 20fps, enjoy.

Sounds like the got around this with triple buffering on the PS3, like they did with UC2.

MMaRsu

DeadGzuz said:
How are they going to patch away tearing?

1) They raise the average frame rate and turn v-sync on. Ya sure...

Sounds like the got around this with triple buffering on the PS3, like they did with UC2.

Who knows :p. You can get a steady 30fps with V-Sync on, and have it as an option just like they did with Saints Row 1.

ZealousD

DeadGzuz said:

I don't know what game you're playing, but Darksiders seems like it's around 60fps quite often.

after finally played it for a few hours. I really like the combat. it's not as smooth as God of War, seems like there's slight delay to button input and attack animation or maybe it's something else. but whatever it is. I don't think I'm button mashing in the game. every button input I press is deliberate and planned like one step forward from what the on screen action look like. if there's some immediate threat of being attacked I can always dash away.

minor complaint is that they should have told you to buy scythe as soon as possible or maybe give it to you as part of tutorial. I was under impression you replace your chaoseater with the scythe so I don't bother getting it after 2 hours of playing and realized that the scythe is actually my /\ button.

oh, and I love the graphics. it's really beautiful. packed with fantastic looking creature and monster. and there has been quite a bit enemy variety too even only 2 hours into the game.

so glad I bought this game.

I've just posted my review. I've spent a lot of time with the game, some 30 hours, and I'm now going back in on my proper Xbox Live Account as I enjoyed the first time on my review account so much.

Review in short: Not sure it's quite an RPG (as we were told over and over, being an RPG Site) but it's bloody good fun. It has RPG elements, and it's a good game, so I was more than happy to review it in the end.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
In that quicklook it's easy to see that Jeff did what looks like absolutely no exploring. He had no artifacts and 400 souls when he got to the Choking Grounds :lol

Those guys are still great though.

KevinCow

Banned
Alright, I'm not sure if I'm missing something here or if my game's glitching, but several times now I've gone to find a chest on the map, only to find it not there. And it can't be above or below me, because there either is no above or below me or they're other floors. But then some of these things are hidden REALLY well, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me all too much if I was missing something.

How and when do you get the shadow form? I am trying to access the Chest on the upper floors of an old ruined building in Choking Grounds and I cant as there is a red obstacle on the wall.

Any help?

JudgeN

FlyinJ said:

Where in your ass did you pull this from?

Amir0x

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Just got to the Twilight Cathedral. Finally. Ready for some Zelda action because I think it's fair to say the game starts pretty slowly.

I mean it starts 'pretty slowly' if you mean it's 'pretty slow' to get to the parts that feel authetically Zelda.

I still think it's amusing any game where it starts out with Armageddon literally falling upon Earth and all of humanity being wiped out while you participate in slaying angels, demons and giant fell beasts the size of the Chrysler Building can be labeled a "pretty slow" starter.

ZealousD

KevinCow said:
Alright, I'm not sure if I'm missing something here or if my game's glitching, but several times now I've gone to find a chest on the map, only to find it not there. And it can't be above or below me, because there either is no above or below me or they're other floors. But then some of these things are hidden REALLY well, so I guess it wouldn't surprise me all too much if I was missing something.

I was under the impression you would be able to see these later with the Mask of Shadows?

Amir0x said:
I still think it's amusing any game where it starts out with Armageddon literally falling upon Earth and all of humanity being wiped out while you participate in slaying angels, demons and giant fell beasts the size of the Chrysler Building can be labeled a "pretty slow" starter.
Is it amusing that people say that or is it amusing because its actually kind of slow and boring?

Amir0x

Banned
Lostconfused said:
Is it amusing that people say that or is it amusing because its actually kind of slow and boring?

It's amusing since Darksider's first hour literally is the exact opposite of slow. It's one thing if you still find it boring, that's certainly anyone's opinion, but unless the game put you in a fight against the literal last boss while you climbed the shadow tower, I'm not sure it could have started any faster.

DieH@rd

Banned
FlyinJ said:

PC: Best textures, best framerate, no tearing

Here i fixed that for you.
/prays for PC version

KevinCow

Banned
ZealousD said:
I was under the impression you would be able to see these later with the Mask of Shadows?

I have that, and I've tried using it. But the stuff it sees is usually at least somewhat visible. But the chests I'm talking about just apparently don't exist.

Like, at the beginning, when Vulgrim tells you to collect 500 souls and gives you a map and compass of the area. There's one right next to where you start, but it appears to be on top of an arch. Throughout the whole game, I kept returning to that spot to try to get up there. Then when I finally did... no chest. There was something else, but not a chest, despite a chest being marked there. And the chest is still marked there.

KevinCow said:
I have that, and I've tried using it. But the stuff it sees is usually at least somewhat visible. But the chests I'm talking about just apparently don't exist.

Like, at the beginning, when Vulgrim tells you to collect 500 souls and gives you a map and compass of the area. There's one right next to where you start, but it appears to be on top of an arch. Throughout the whole game, I kept returning to that spot to try to get up there. Then when I finally did... no chest. There was something else, but not a chest, despite a chest being marked there. And the chest is still marked there.

For that one you will have to destroy all the fire hydrants in that area and that chest will unlock :D

In the level with Choking grounds, destroy all the graves and another chest will unlock.

Amir0x

Banned
sweetvar26 said:
For that one you will have to destroy all the fire hydrants in that area and that chest will unlock :D

In the level with Choking grounds, destroy all the graves and another chest will unlock.

Hehehehehee. Gotta be an EXPLORER, KevinCow :D

Y2Kev

I'm not just talking about the first scene, which was pretty cool, but rather the entire game up until this point. I didn't enjoy the shadow realm stuff (in fact, I thought that actually was pretty boring), and the "Panzer Dragoon" (I really hate describing sequences so vastly inferior to Panzer Dragoon mechanically as "Panzer Dragoon") bit was too slow and too easy.

I don't find the combat in the first part of the game all that engaging (considering all you can do is hit square). Then finding money for Vulgrim...I mean, I don't think I'm that far off here. If you are into the mechanics, then you'd probably love it, but in terms of spectacle you're really describing only the first 10 minutes of the game.

And maybe this is an expectations game, but I'm coming off of Bayonetta, so you've got to do a lot to overwhelm me. I should note that this is not a comparison.

Amir0x said:
It's amusing since Darksider's first hour literally is the exact opposite of slow. It's one thing if you still find it boring, that's certainly anyone's opinion, but unless the game put you in a fight against the literal last boss while you climbed the shadow tower, I'm not sure it could have started any faster.
Well maybe its just the combat it self feels slow after a few hours of playing Bayonetta.

DeadGzuz

Banned
ZealousD said:
I don't know what game you're playing, but Darksiders seems like it's around 60fps quite often.

I was giving an example, I've never played the game. That's just how v-sync works. So in this case if the game is 30-59fps and v-sync is on then the game will be 30fps. Where if the game is 47fps with triple buffering it will be 47fps and with no tearing.

Ryu

The game is being compared to Zelda and people are complaining that it starts off slowly? Really? How many of these people have actually played Twilight Princess?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ryu said:
The game is being compared to Zelda and people are complaining that it starts off slowly? Really? How many of these people have actually played Twilight Princess?

Don't get me started on THAT shit.

Y2Kev

Ryu said:
Well, if the point was to get me to admit that the game starts "faster" than Twilight Princess, you would have my concession. That's got to be one of the worst openings to any game Nintendo's made--filled with busy work, tutorial, and crappy narrative. It's not even visually exciting.

Chrange

Banned
Projectjustice said:
They playing it on easy.:lol

And they're terrible at the game, though to be fair I don't think I've ever seen a Quick Look where I thought "wow, that guy's really good at games"

Chrange

Banned
Make use of a double post!

Lostconfused said:
Well maybe its just the combat it self feels slow after a few hours of playing Bayonetta.

And the flight doesn't feel that great compared to HAWX...but what the fuck does that have to do with anything? Getting tired of seeing people compare the combat in an action game to that in an adventure game. He rides a horse - how's the speed compare to Need for Speed?

Top Bottom