• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

KevinCow

Banned
Holy shit, I've been ignoring the magic powers for most of the game outside of the occasional blade geyser, but the stoneskin is amazingly useful against the bigger guys. If you're having troubles with bigger enemies, try using it.

xir said:
anyone fight a
pimp
looking demon fellow in the overworld?
has a top hat and cain?
turned on chaos form and he disappeared, haven't found him since

Yeah, I've had him appear a few times. From what I can tell, he's just there to give you a bunch of souls when you beat him.

Tokubetsu

Oneself said:
Yup, fought that guy in a cavern, where the 2nd batch of challenges took place. Right after I got the gun and the ice breaking gauntlet, I started searching for ice walls to break and met him. He disappeared as soon as I hit him with a block counter attack.

Fought him as well near the pigeon competition. He disappeared after beating like 4 health shards out of me. I was hitting him with regular attacks. I got a ton of blue souls out of it though.

Tokubetsu

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I'm glad I unlocked the scythe right away. The scythe makes crowd control much more manageable and combat less frustrating. Dodging still sucks.

The key to dodging, aside from a handful of boss/mini boss fights is to NEVER DODGE BACKWARDS. You pretty much almost always want to be dodging to the sides. Also, If you think you should dodge, it's also probably too late to dodge.

forrest

formerly nacire
I'm fucking loving this game! I know a lot of folks aren't digging the combat, but give it time and master those controls. Also block is very usable, the combo breaker against the axe wielding guys works very well. I would say it's not very intuitive in some regards, but after the learning curve you're good to go.

bathala

Banned
playing on apocalypse.
man this is game is so zelda from the boomerang to when u complete a puzzle a melody plays.

enjoying the game so far. that now I know wat screen tearing is. Not distracting, but u notice it

JdFoX187

Banned
I just read the Gamespot review and he mentions unresponsive and broken controls. Anyone experience this? I'm only to the first dungeon and I haven't noticed anything of the sort.

Hawk269

So can anyone that is farther than the cathederal dungeon tell me if the other dungeons in the game are as large and expansive as cathederal? I am almost done with cathederal and it is pretty good size and am hoping the remaining dungeons are about the same size or so....thanks!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
dralla said:
general impression after finishing the first dungeon. Game is much better action/adventure than just straight action. Combat is getting more fun with more moves/items. Game lacks polish, the animations specifically. Voice acting is surprisingly believable. Game started off slow but is picking up. Hope it stays adventure-y.

I will say that War definitely has the best 'overdrive' mode of all the action games. turning into that fire dragon is awesome

Does not compute

Hawk269 said:
So can anyone that is farther than the cathederal dungeon tell me if the other dungeons in the game are as large and expansive as cathederal? I am almost done with cathederal and it is pretty good size and am hoping the remaining dungeons are about the same size or so....thanks!

Yes. The other dungeons are fairly big in scope. The final one is almost like three in one.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Korey said:
My complaint about that fight (or any fight really, but that's the only boss I've fought so far) is that there isn't a life bar for the boss so you have no idea how much longer it's going to last. Especially on Apocalyptic where I hear the only changes are more hp for your enemies and more damage to you. I must have went through 4-5 "B" cycles with him before he died.

I only went through one B cycle, lol. That isn't really indicative of progress, the boss falling down was. IIRC I got it on the third down after it stayed on the ground.

cjelly said:
How are people finding Apocalypse?

Fine for a first playthrough, not too hard?

I'm enjoying it, but I like a challenge. It was pretty rough at the very start, the big enemies kill you usually in 2-3 hits and it was hard to avoid when you were still adjusting to the game and how to dodge.

Tokubetsu

Hawk269 said:

They're about the same size. Some might even take you longer/feel longer.

Hawk269

Thanks...so how many dungeons does the game have...I have heard 4 (from the Gametrailers Review) but others here are saying about 6 or 7?

Tokubetsu

About apocalyptic, I have 6 or 7 health shards and enemies im up to now real do some damage. I'm talking, 1.5 health bars gone from a single hit and I'm not talking bosses :lol

batbeg

cjelly said:
How are people finding Apocalypse?

Fine for a first playthrough, not too hard?

I'm suffering pretty badly here. The bigger enemy I described at the bottom of the last page takes off over half a health bar in a swing, and I only have two bars right now. But I do suck pretty badly at action games.

bathala

Banned
Projectjustice said:
Can someone tell me how the hell do I kill
the Jailer?
see those glowing orbs on his body? use the weapon u just acquired.

on apocalypse, on his rampage form, it killed me with one swipe including extra health bar

bathala said:

on apocalypse, on his rampage form, it killed me with one swipe including extra health bar

Thanks dude!!!!!!

Thats what im playing the game on. When I first did the beginning I did it on normal and I found it too easy. Yea on apocalypse there isnt much room for errors but man its fucking awesome like that!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
bathala said:

Same, haha. I even saw B appear above him and got hit once for death right before doing it.

KevinCow

Banned
Hawk269 said:
Thanks...so how many dungeons does the game have...I have heard 4 (from the Gametrailers Review) but others here are saying about 6 or 7?

It really depends on how you define a dungeon. I'll say that there are six major bosses to beat (at least; I just beat the fifth, and it feels like the next one is gonna be the last, but then it felt like the last one was gonna be the last too), each with a specific area leading up to them, complete with some puzzles and an upgrade. But they don't all feel like a typical dungeon. Some are more linear and actiony and less puzzley than others.

Korey

People who are doing it on Apocalyptic: I just finished the first Boss, but it took a bunch of tries and I was getting frustrated. Does it get easier on Apocalyptic difficulty as the game goes on or is it about the same, where you have to try encounters 6-7 times to beat it? I'm thinking of starting over but I don't really want to.

Korey said:
People who are doing it on Apocalyptic: I just finished the first Boss, but it took a bunch of tries and I was getting frustrated. Does it get easier on Apocalyptic difficulty as the game goes on or is it about the same, where you have to try encounters 6-7 times to beat it? I'm thinking of starting over but I don't really want to.

It gets better cause of new equipment, power ups, leveling your weapons, and spells.

Korey said:

I think Apocalyptic is appropriate for anyone fairly familiar with an action game. Tiamat took me a few tries myself, but once I got her pattern down the victory was very satisfying. As a general rule of thumb, lock-on and dodge (both ground and aerial) are extremely vital.

OMG the puzzles in the last dungeon are HAIR PULLING! but awesome. And the battles in there on apocolyptic setting are tough as shit!

Tokubetsu

Okay I think im doing something wrong here. Mini boss in the dark throne:
Right after you get the portal gun, you fight this mech thing..How the fuck do I hurt it? I've tried making portals on the floor but that doesn't work.

KevinCow

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Okay I think im doing something wrong here. Mini boss in the dark throne:
Right after you get the portal gun, you fight this mech thing..How the fuck do I hurt it? I've tried making portals on the floor but that doesn't work.

Use a charge portal to launch on top of it and press B or O.

forrest

formerly nacire
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Anyone have any guesses as to what the extra code inside the game box will unlock?

I was wondering if we could get HDN to comment on this? I don't want to know what it is, but I'm wondering why some of us don't have it? Is it only packaged in the xbox 360 version, because I picked up the ps3 version.

batbeg

nacire said:
I was wondering if we could get HDN to comment on this? I don't want to know what it is, but I'm wondering why some of us don't have it? Is it only packaged in the xbox 360 version, because I picked up the ps3 version.

I have it, PS3 version... from Gamestop, if that matters.

TheExodu5

Banned
Is this the game where you play as the Lich King?

teaser_wotlk_arthas_01_l1.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
TheExodu5 said:
Is this the game where you play as the Lich King?

http://silithus.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/teaser_wotlk_arthas_01_l1.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

no, what is this? What are you stupid?

[spoiler] I can haz joke? [/spoiler]

also wtf is up with the gametrailers review? they spend 10min ranting about the game and its flaws and proceed to give it like 8.5?

Fonds

MMaRsu said:
Holy shit that GT review is bad -_-

I know right? The part where they started bashing on the dodging and lack of blocking was crazy.

Did they even play the game?

I hate how they complain that it steals from gameplay elements of other games and lacks originality. It's like saying a shooter can't use guns 'cause that would be un-original.

In the end they still give it an 8.4 or something which is mindblowing. On a scale from one to ten that should make it an amazing game (which it is), while seconds before the score they were still hating on it.

Tamanon

Banned
I assume if I like exploration and puzzle-solving more than just hacking and slashing at waves of enemies, then Darksiders would be the better choice over Bayonetta? The character for Bayonetta just doesn't really resonate with me and the action sequences look pretty repetitive. From what it looks like there's more than just action to break up the scenes in this game.

John

batbeg said:
I have it, PS3 version... from Gamestop, if that matters.

Same, and I still don't know what to do with this code and serial #.

Tamanon said:
I assume if I like exploration and puzzle-solving more than just hacking and slashing at waves of enemies, then Darksiders would be the better choice over Bayonetta? The character for Bayonetta just doesn't really resonate with me and the action sequences look pretty repetitive. From what it looks like there's more than just action to break up the scenes in this game.

I haven't played Bayonetta, but Darksiders has lots of neat puzzles.

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
For any of those who are planning on going to Forbidden Planet Megastore tonight to get their signed copy of Darksiders I have had word that it now starts at 5PM! :)

John

MisterTHQ said:
For any of those who are planning on going to Forbidden Planet Megastore tonight to get their signed copy of Darksiders I have had word that it now starts at 5PM! :)
Tad for for me, but could you tell us what the 16-digit code and 6-digit serial # are for, from the inside of the box? It says to go to darksiders.com, but I don't see anything there.

Edit: Scratch that, there's an input field now. They say they'll unveil soon.

glaurung

John said:
Tad for for me, but could you tell us what the 16-digit code and 6-digit serial # are for, from the inside of the box? It says to go to darksiders.com.
The use for that code should be revealed ***later*** this month.

That's all that is known so far.

TheFallen

nacire said:
Yea, I didn't get it either. Picked it up day one from Toys'R'Us. Sort of disappointed that I didn't get this mysterious card. I'm hoping it amounts to nothing now or that they offer it to everyone else.

orion434

Korey said:

I just finished the 2nd boss and it definitely gets easier, one important note is that you get FULL HEALTH when you die, and it just reloads the last checkpoint. I die more now to replenish my health then actually dying.

I've looked at a lot of videos and the only concern I have are for the environments, they look bland and lifeless.

A large component of this game is exploration, is there enough variation and distinctiveness between each of the areas through to the end of the experience?

Top Bottom