• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Haint

ZealousD said:
It's already done, just going through Microsoft certification bureaucracy now.

Nice, just in time for the vast majority of full price, launch week buyers to be completing and sticking the game on the shelf. 2 thumbs up to MS and THQ!

see5harp

Towards the end game I starting running into this zombie fencer that comes out of a top hat. I've fought him 3 times now and I'm guessing that he gives either an accessory or something awesome. Anyone know where he spawns?

Amir0x said:
However, the Vigil Games has already confirmed a patch will be out soon to fix the screen tearing issue of the 360 version

When was the last time a patch came out that completely fixed screen tearing, as opposed to either patching up tearing at expense of framerate, or offering an option to sacrifice framerate for v-sync?

see5harp said:
Towards the end game I starting running into this zombie fencer that comes out of a top hat. I've fought him 3 times now and I'm guessing that he gives either an accessory or something awesome. Anyone know where he spawns?

He spawns at random in different areas. To my knowledge, he just gives you souls when you beat him.

AltogetherAndrews said:
When was the last time a patch came out that completely fixed screen tearing, as opposed to either patching up tearing at expense of framerate, or offering an option to sacrifice framerate for v-sync?
Its obviously going to be at the expense of frame rate. But the frame rate in the game isn't fixed so limiting it to 30 and not having screen tearing is better than what it is now.

Lostconfused said:
Its obviously going to be at the expense of frame rate. But the frame rate in the game isn't fixed so limiting it to 30 and not having screen tearing is better than what it is now.

But isn't the framerate already sort of shit in that version? At least that's the impression I've gotten.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AltogetherAndrews said:
But isn't the framerate already sort of shit in that version? At least that's the impression I've gotten.

No, it's pretty damn good with screen tearing. I would take fixed 30 over what there is now.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
AltogetherAndrews said:
No, the framerate is good. It's just that it goes above 30 a lot of the time.

They just need to lock it down to 30.

Spruchy

With this game it's probably a glitch but there was times when I was locked on against the worm boss and FPS dipped down to single digits.

bridegur

I'm playing the PS3 version and so far I've experienced virtually no slowdown or screen tearing. If you want to see a game that demonstrates those problems well, look at Assassins Creed 2. I've just gotten to the Cathedral and other than the bleh Panzer Dragoon part, it just keeps getting better.

Ah Gametrailers, your almost as bad as IGN. Just got done watching the new Invisible Walls podcast where they spent 10 minutes shitting on Darksiders because it's, A - Not original (like Uncharted2) and B - it's not Zelda. They make it out like it's some generic shit not worth anyone's time.

sinnergy

AltogetherAndrews said:
V-sync this baby and I will play, framerate is fine.

In anticipation of the patch and ME2, I am now doing my second run Mass Effect 1, lost my last save.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Made my way through the Black Throne tonight, starting the Armageddon Blade hunt and mopping up the last collectibles/achievements tomorrow.

Firestorm

AltogetherAndrews said:
It was uneven at the beginning but fine now. As long as they V-Sync it to 30fps it'd be great.

El-Suave

The worm battle reminded me again how much I'd like to see a smoother running Shadow of the Colossus port on PS3. Camera and framerate seemed just perfect to me.
And Ruin - is awesome! I've been waiting to get it for so long, it's really surprising that it lives up to how hyped I was for it.

Just started playing this the other night. Enjoyed what I played. The graphics are very nice. Clean and crisp. Haven't entered any dungoens yet. Kinda weird to hear the Joker talking to you though :p Started it on Apocalyptic though I may be pushing myself hard starting it on that... we'll see.

A few things though... he walks a bit slow... dashing barely helps. I think some of the button combo's are a bit odd and has to make you think about what you're pressing. For example having to pick something up with circle, then chuck it with R2. Why not circle again? Or why do you have to press L1 and R2 to unleash your Chaos, why not L1 and R1? Just a little niggle so far.

Also I never thought I'd say this but I'm missing QTEs :O I think the combat feels a little lifeless sometimes when you can't button mash to defeat a monster.

KevinCow

Banned
Katana_Strikes said:
A few things though... he walks a bit slow... dashing barely helps. I think some of the button combo's are a bit odd and has to make you think about what you're pressing. For example having to pick something up with circle, then chuck it with R2. Why not circle again? Or why do you have to press L1 and R2 to unleash your Chaos, why not L1 and R1? Just a little niggle so far.

He is a bit slow. I wish they'd implemented something like Okami where if you run at full speed for a few seconds, he starts dashing.

As for pressing R2 to throw, it makes more sense if you're doing it from aiming mode. Using the right stick to aim and a trigger to throw works better, since you don't have to take your thumb off the stick to press the throw button. I guess they could have also allowed O/B to throw, though.

And L1+R1 is used for something else.

Denzar

Framerate in the PS3 version is not so great if you ask me.

The sequence in which you fight the angels alongsinde Ulthane

jonhuz

I've come across the spiffing zombie on anvils ford just near the only grapple to chest area. Aslo just now in the drowned pass, from the water through the small tunnel area. Is it worth hunting him down?

update: #3 outside twilight cathedral, over the grapple jumps.

Booser

Weird. Have the 360 version and no framerate issues at all. Just reached the Black Throne but Im going back through all the hubs to collect secret stuff before I tackle it. Met the zombie pimp dude aswell when you hookshot over to the chest outside the Twilight Cathedral. Awesome game.

Enjoying it as much as I did Uncharted 2, and I'm only about an hour in.

Personally Im enjoying it a lot more then Twilight Princess, but that game always felt a bit "off" to me from the start.

Tokubetsu

ZealousD said:
Made my way through the Black Throne tonight, starting the Armageddon Blade hunt and mopping up the last collectibles/achievements tomorrow.

Do you have a guide somewhere or anything? I'm missing a few things definitely but I'm not sure where. Ashlands...maybe.

Ricker

By the time the patch is out,everyone will have finished the game...it annoyed me a few times at first but I don`t even notice it anymore,I hope they are working on the next game instead of wasting time with a pseudo fix for screen tearing...what`s next ``oh this guy wants more blue in the game,let`s do a patch``... :D

Arnie

Thrakier said:
So I could buy it, but which version? PS3 or 360?
From what I hear on GAF the PS3 version. I bought the 360 version on Friday and although the framerate is often over 30FPS, the screen tearing is catastrophically apparent. Honestly that is my biggest complaint to what is a brilliant game(so far). Also didn't like the Panzer Dragoon segment, it lasted way too long.

forrest

formerly nacire
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Ah Gametrailers, your almost as bad as IGN. Just got done watching the new Invisible Walls podcast where they spent 10 minutes shitting on Darksiders because it's, A - Not original (like Uncharted2) and B - it's not Zelda. They make it out like it's some generic shit not worth anyone's time.

Yeah I just watched that and it makes me wonder if I'm playing a different game.

KevinCow

Banned
nacire said:
Man, I absolutely love the way they did the Serpent Holes in this game! So cool!

I thought they were neat at first, but having to go through them every time you teleport was a bit annoying. I guess it was better than a loading screen, though.

Truant

I'm stuck in the second dungeon with the platforms that can be raised and lowered. What do I do? I feel stupid, as all the previous puzzles that people have been complaining about have been cakewalks compared to this. I suspect I'm thinking too hard or something. Help, GAF.

Sydle

Katana_Strikes said:
Also I never thought I'd say this but I'm missing QTEs :O I think the combat feels a little lifeless sometimes when you can't button mash to defeat a monster.

GTFO with that shit. I think they're one of the worst things to come out of last generation (another is horribly long cut scenes).

You'll gain some more combos later on that are satisfying.

Truant said:
I'm stuck in the second dungeon with the platforms that can be raised and lowered. What do I do? I feel stupid, as all the previous puzzles that people have been complaining about have been cakewalks compared to this. I suspect I'm thinking too hard or something. Help, GAF.
Are there 3 platforms? Look around the room for something that you can move and remember that you can use triangle/Y to move those objects a bit faster.

Canova

Banned
I really love this game. The Twilight Cathedral and The Hollows ( I think that's the name) are exceptional dungeons.

I just finished the Griever, how much left in the game?

Amir0x said:
The only really lame thing to me is those dumb
arena fights to "break" the curse for those rock creatures
. That just seemed like lazy, time-extending game design.

Those are a 'meh' for me.

On one hand they give you lots of souls and force you to learn fighting techniques.

On the other hand the force me to back track(I usually try to explore an area as thourougly as possible before moving on) and the techniques probably wont be used, save for maybe 1 or 2.

Beat the second dungeon. Puzzles are definitely the high point of this game for me, the bad dodging and blocking bring the combat down.

JudgeN

Truant said:

If your talking about the puzzle I'm thinking off, in the hollow's with the water below. You hit the farther platform, then you swim over and hit the closer one (to the door) and double jump up and grab it before it gets to high. Then you glide over to the door.

Amir0x

Banned
I just beat The Hollows. Really disappointing dungeon. The puzzles were ridiculously simple, the boss was extremely easy, the design showcased none of that clever little spark that Twilight Cathedral occasionally had. Even the setting wasn't particularly memorable. Definitely not on par with a Zelda dungeon there.

Onto the Ashlands.

Amir0x said:
I just beat The Hollows. Really disappointing dungeon. The puzzles were ridiculously simple, the boss was extremely easy, the design showcased none of that clever little spark that Twilight Cathedral occasionally had. Even the setting wasn't particularly memorable. Definitely not on par with a Zelda dungeon there.

Onto the Ashlands.

It was OK... there was some good stuff in that dungeon. I think they went out of their way to differentiate the dungeons. For instance, the Ashlands dungeon is
more like Gears of War than Zelda (until you get Ruin)

Ricker

Is there an achievement/trophy for stomping spiders hehe...that dungeon is pretty cool so far as well,considering what you get.

Ricker

Gram Negative Cocci said:
Thread title should be changed. Darksiders is neither God of War or Zelda.

This game is Soul Reaver part deux. Seriously.

Yeah,it`s a little of all 3 but so well done.

Haunted

I'm sure the latest PA has been posted in this thread sometime before (haven't checked), so I won't post it again. But I want to comment on it.

What, in my mind, separates Darksiders from tripe like Dante's Inferno is the number of sources to rip off from inspirations to pay homage to each game has.

Dante's Inferno copies a single game, God of War, in pretty much all aspects, starting from the overall aesthetic, to the HUD, to combat (including weapons and finishers) - down to nearly every single gameplay mechanic. There's a ridiculous deja-vu effect going on from the very moment you start playing. It's a boring 1:1 carbon copy, legitimately reviled as derivative, unoriginal, uninspired.

Darksiders however, takes its cue from a number of sources. Zelda (easily the biggest influence), Soul Reaver, God of War, Devil May Cry, Portal - fuck, even the rail shooter segment are very reminiscent of a certain other series in look and feel. There's nary a shred of originality to be found in the game. But - and that's a big but - it's not easy to draw from so many different elements and make them work successfully and that's where the Darksiders devs showed their skill and talent. Bringing all these together in a package that's enjoyable to play, feels familiar and yet fresh - that's what saves Darksiders from merely being derivative of another work.

Definitely a case where the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts.

BrettWeir

I started out hating the game due to frame rate issues and screen tearing. After a few hours, it's completely turned 180. Absolutely LOVE this game.

Dante said:
About an hour in. This thing gets better right?

Man, that first hour is like balls-to-the-wall-what-the-fuck-is-going-on?!? Or maybe I'm just a gaming wuss, but I almost had a headache...

Or maybe it was the 360 tearing. I've never given much credit to tearing complaints before, but jeebus, what a graphical mess...

Canova

Banned
Haunted said:
I'm sure the latest PA has been posted in this thread sometime before (haven't checked), so I won't post it again. But I want to comment on it.

What, in my mind, separates Darksiders from tripe like Dante's Inferno is the number of sources to rip off from inspirations to pay homage to each game has.

DI copies GoW in pretty much all aspects, starting from the overall aesthetic, to the HUD, to combat (including weapons and finishers) - down to nearly every single gameplay mechanic. There's a ridiculous deja-vu effect going on from the very moment you start playing. It's a lazy 1:1 copy, legitimately reviled as derivative, unoriginal, uninspired.

Darksiders however, takes its cue from a number of sources. Zelda (easily the biggest influence), Soul Reaver, God of War, Devil May Cry, Portal - fuck, even the rail shooter segment are very reminiscent of a certain other series in look and feel. There's nary a shred of originality to be found in the game. But - and that's a big but - it's not easy to draw from so many different elements and make them work successfully and that's where the Darksiders devs showed their skill and talent. Bringing all these together in a package that's enjoyable to play, feels familiar and yet fresh - that's what saves Darksiders from merely being derivative of another work.

Definitely a case where the whole is bigger than the sum of its parts.

There's no problem with that, those games are great games to copy from.

oh..I just got a Hellfire element for my sword, it's pretty damn cool to have a big ass flame sword

Dante

sparky2112 said:
Man, that first hour is like balls-to-the-wall-what-the-fuck-is-going-on?!? Or maybe I'm just a gaming wuss, but I almost had a headache...

Or maybe it was the 360 tearing. I've never given much credit to tearing complaints before, but jeebus, what a graphical mess...

I don't know I'm just not impressed yet, but people are saying it gets way better so I'm looking forward to progressing.

Top Bottom