• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Just wanted to report what I believe is a bug . I was off collecting pieces of the
Armageddon Sword
at the area where there are a lot of Gravestones (The Crossroads ?? I forget the name) .

Anyhow, after a bit of exploring and trying to figure out how to get up to the piece, I could no longer select the Shadow Mask, I hit up ((repeatedly after being annoyed)) (where I had it in my Inventory) and it would do nothing, it wouldn't show as selected. It would only show the last item I used which was the crossblade .

I tried reloading the save and the same thing would happen . It was only fixed by going back to an older save that was thankfully close to where I was at .

Great game, hope a sequel is in the works .

Sydle

Just now working my way through the Twilight Cathedral. It's becoming more and more apparent how much love was put into the making of this game. The art is kinda growing on me...just kinda.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Spruchy said:
So when's that screen tearing patch coming out?

It's already done, just going through Microsoft certification bureaucracy now.

Booser

Making my way through the spider place now. Holy fuck as cliched as it is this really one of those games that get better and better as you go along.
Beating the stygian while riding Ruin
was incredible. In fact just ridiing Ruin around the whole Ashlands area and fighting the other spectral horsemen in fantastic. Everything feels and controls just right.

In the spider place though Im stuck. Im fighting the huge spider with the frozen crystals on its back (after you break the sealed door by beating the other spiders). I hookshot the corpses and feed them to her but then no matter where I attack her it makes no difference. I spent half an hour hitting her head and then another half an hour hitting her back. WTF

EDIT @ nvm. I use the gauntlet on the crystals. God damn it man use your head

forrest

formerly nacire
After seeing that Penny Arcade Comic I had to totally nab that for my avatar! Great comic btw and great drawing too, shit made me laugh.

I spent what felt like 8 hours on the dungeon with
the boss with the iced stomach
...my goodness I felt like an idiot there. This game is great though. Combat gets better and better and I'm actually a big fan of the art here.

Zeliard

Dark FaZe said:
I spent what felt like 8 hours on the dungeon with
the boss with the iced stomach
...my goodness I felt like an idiot there. This game is great though. Combat gets better and better and I'm actually a big fan of the art here.

The art is really great. As someone earlier said, Joe Mad's art translates perfectly to 3D. The beginning of the game is quite underwhelming in that department though. Not very indicative of how the rest of the game is. That goes for the gameplay, too. Darksiders is a lot like Assassin's Creed 2 in that the rest of the game is much better than the first hour or so.

Pumpkins

So yeah... I'm a big Zelda fan. I don't really dig the art style for Darksiders but the gameplay looks interesting.

Are there any big Zelda fans here that like the game?

Firestorm

Pumpkins said:
So yeah... I'm a big Zelda fan. I don't really dig the art style but the gameplay looks interesting.

<-

Really picks up when you hit the first dungeon. I'm just calling everything in this game by its Zelda name. I'm Link. My helper is Navi. I got the Boomerang and I use Bomb Flowers. Of course the game keeps calling it different things but the game is wrong.

forrest

formerly nacire
Pumpkins said:
So yeah... I'm a big Zelda fan. I don't really dig the art style but the gameplay looks interesting.

Yup! I'm really loving just about everything in Darksiders with just a few minor nitpicks. I strongly recommend it to anyone who loves Zelda's gameplay structure involving: dungeons, puzzles, items and boss encounters.

Amir0x

Banned
The only really lame thing to me is those dumb
arena fights to "break" the curse for those rock creatures
. That just seemed like lazy, time-extending game design.

MMaRsu said:
:D Good to hear you like it, seems you have a good decision ^^.

I can't say enough good things about it, the only complaints I would have are minor technical issues. I love the art style, voice acting, narrative, environments, atmosphere, structure, exploration, controls, camera...

Sydle

Pumpkins said:
So yeah... I'm a big Zelda fan. I don't really dig the art style for Darksiders but the gameplay looks interesting.

Yeah, I'd even go as far to say that it does a few things better than 3D Zelda. There's a lot more combat and it's far more violent, so keep that in mind before you set your expectations of a Zelda-like experience.

Sydle

Pumpkins said:
Despite it being in a post apocalyptic setting, are there any towns/cities with NPCs? :lol

I'm three hours in and I've encountered a few demons that are interested in helping you out in return for completing their requests.

Saw the thread, watched the Quick Look, now I'm kinda interested in this game (had no idea it existed ~20 minutes ago). One question though, how is the PS3 version? Equal or...?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Danne-Danger said:
Saw the thread, watched the Quick Look, now I'm kinda interested in this game (had no idea it existed ~20 minutes ago). One question though, how is the PS3 version? Equal or...?

Pretty much equal. In fact, right now it's arguably better because it doesn't have the tearing issues of the 360 version.

Amir0x

Banned
Danne-Danger said:

Apparently it's slightly better version right now, because it has minimal screen tearing. Versus the 360 version, which has insane screen tearing.

However, the Vigil Games has already confirmed a patch will be out soon to fix the screen tearing issue of the 360 version, so soon it'll be one of the better multiplatform efforts that have come out this gen. Truly an impressive inaugural effort from Vigil.

see5harp

Amir0x said:

It is strange and offputting. Considering the game took me almost 20 hours on Apocalyptic. Just finished up and confirmed that the only strange FMV is during the intro. The in game sequence that played during the forging of the sword was pretty damn cinematic and had a great comic book style to the editing. I'm really confused as to why they decided to use FMV at all.

And holy shit at the ending. So damn satisfying and hopefully this sells enough to warrant a sequel. With all the studios closing down and getting absorbed into EA/Activision/Square/Ubisoft it's nice to see Vigil and Rocksteady creating two amazing new experiences.

Canova

Banned
Help!

how do I pass the big fan room in Scalding Gallow? The room with big fan spinning underneath.

thanks

edit Never mind, I'm an idiot. all i had to do is jump to the other platform :lol

MMaRsu

Holy fucking hell my game is glitched beyond hell and backwards. I cannot go further due to this bug. It basically comes down to me reloading my one hour ago save, and replaying all I have done until now, which is basically half a dungeon. Maybe the entire dungeon. Who knows if this bug will reproduce in the same spot or not? Right now I don't feel like playing this tonight anymore at all.

What happened : I activated an elevator in one of the dungeons
Black Throne
and waited till I was all the way to the top.. War dissapears and the camera goes into a funny angle, next thing I know I'm back down at the bottom, like I just fell, and I just see look up and see the top part of the elevator ( no bottom ). Very fucking fucked up. FUCK.

A blight on this otherwise great game.

Ok so after spending an hour dying intentionally or unintentionally I accidentally beat the arena and the boss because apparently you can counter pretty much every single attack.

dralla

Firestorm said:
Just got to The Black Throne. Is this the final dungeon or is there another after?
There's more game after. BT is very, very long and very, very awesome. Best part of the game for me so far. If you're playing on Hard get ready to use Chaos form and Wrath a lot. Really tough fights in there

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lostconfused said:
Ok so after spending an hour dying intentionally or unintentionally I accidentally beat the arena and the boss because apparently you can counter pretty much every single attack.

The arena to
get Ruin
? If so, I died a TON there, but I never countered his attacks. I keep forgetting I can block in general here.

Papercuts said:
The arena to
get Ruin
? If so, I died a TON there, but I never countered his attacks. I keep forgetting I can block in general here.
Yeah that place. You can block the charges from the riders and you can block all of the boss' sword swings as well, its actually pretty easy. The hardest part is trying to not get swarmed to death by smaller enemies.

see5harp said:
It is strange and offputting. Considering the game took me almost 20 hours on Apocalyptic. Just finished up and confirmed that the only strange FMV is during the intro. The in game sequence that played during the forging of the sword was pretty damn cinematic and had a great comic book style to the editing. I'm really confused as to why they decided to use FMV at all.

And holy shit at the ending. So damn satisfying and hopefully this sells enough to warrant a sequel. With all the studios closing down and getting absorbed into EA/Activision/Square/Ubisoft it's nice to see Vigil and Rocksteady creating two amazing new experiences.

well i really like the cg movies for this game. Ive seen the intro and the ruin one in promotions. I asked before but dont htink anytone saw it. Is there anymore throughout the game?

Lostconfused said:
Yeah that place. You can block the charges from the riders and you can block all of the boss' sword swings as well, its actually pretty easy. The hardest part is trying to not get swarmed to death by smaller enemies.

It was at this point that I remembered I had a chaos form. I keep forgetting to use it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I actually use it a lot. Especially with the Legendary rune that makes it last longer/easier to gain.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ok, going to give that fucking Aerial Predator trophy another stab. Just managed to go from 556->590 kills in that initial pre-cave segment. That's a good start, I think...

see5harp

TrAcEr_x90 said:
well i really like the cg movies for this game. Ive seen the intro and the ruin one in promotions. I asked before but dont htink anytone saw it. Is there anymore throughout the game?

Nope. That's the only CGI in the entire game, which is why they should have left it out. It's short though..like 2 minutes max so it doesn't come close to ruining the experience.

damn i was getting my fucking ass kicked when you fight all those angels (when the big scottish guy is helping you) and i wasnt even getting CLOSE to killing all of them. then i realized you could pick up their ray guns :lol

Papercuts said:
I actually use it a lot. Especially with the Legendary rune that makes it last longer/easier to gain.
I guess I just never find fights difficult enough to warrant using it, at most I just start using the sword instead of try to level secondary weapons.
Amir0x said:
I didn't really mind that much because you get 500 or 1000 souls for finishing one.

Natakuu

Banned
Amir0x said:
Definitely agree with this point. They seemed so..artificial and unneeded. Outside of that the game has been really solid so far, currently on my way to what I presume is the third dungeon.

Ah finally found a perfect place to farm weapon levels. Its in Iron Canopy, its a room filled with 15 or 20 spiders right next to a level streaming checkpoint so they respawn every time you cross it.

Edit: Ok so it took 30 to 35 minutes to level the tremor gauntlet from level 3 to 4.

forrest

formerly nacire
Lostconfused said:
Ah finally found a perfect place to farm weapon levels. Its in Iron Canopy, its a room filled with 15 or 20 spiders right next to a level streaming checkpoint so they respawn every time you cross it.

I just finished that dungeon and know right where you're talking about. I was running around collecting chests and kept thinking man these guys respawn like crazy. Good to know for the future when it's time to grind out my weapon levels.

bridegur

I'm only an hour in, but I'm loving it. It feels great to play a video game that isn't embarrassed to be a video game. What a huge, fantastic surprise.

TheFallen

Ninja Face, please fucking spoiler tag that. Thanks :(

Also anyone able to help me with this part in Black Throne:
I'm working on the 2nd beam for Azrael and I've encountered this room with 3 elevator looking things and 2 cubes. Clearly I need to get to the top to open the door with the key but can't seem to figure out what I need to do to get them up higher.

edit: got it nm

Top Bottom