• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

I'm having a lot of trouble taking down the big dudes. Playing on Apocalyptic, a few hits from these and you're nearing game over. So any tips on dealing with them better?

Blocking is a bit of a pain in this game because I tend to be moving a lot so I initiate the dash instead... which gets me out of trouble but maybe not the best way to handle the game?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Blocking's almost worthless. Dashing out of danger and then behind the big dudes is the key to taking them out painlessly.

Canova

Banned
Amir0x said:
I just beat The Hollows. Really disappointing dungeon. The puzzles were ridiculously simple, the boss was extremely easy, the design showcased none of that clever little spark that Twilight Cathedral occasionally had. Even the setting wasn't particularly memorable. Definitely not on par with a Zelda dungeon there.

Onto the Ashlands.

yeah the hollows is not up to par to the cathedral, maybe because of the underwater section. .....but i have limited dungeon experience, so it's still good for me

Hobbun

nacire said:
Yup! I'm really loving just about everything in Darksiders with just a few minor nitpicks. I strongly recommend it to anyone who loves Zelda's gameplay structure involving: dungeons, puzzles, items and boss encounters.

I love Zelda as well. So besides the dungeons, puzzles, items and boss encounters, is the actual gameplay (combat) similar to Zelda? Does it also use a lock-on feature in combat?

I ask about the gameplay because I remember reading at least one of the reviews that indicated the controls are a bit overly complex. Which concerns me a bit.

Mejilan said:
Blocking's almost worthless.
Only if you are bad at it. Its much better and easier to beat some enemies if you just block their attacks instead of trying to dash out of range. For example with the big spiders I can counter every single one of their attacks but dash too soon or too late and their jump attack will hit you.

Canova

Banned
Hobbun said:
I love Zelda as well. So besides the dungeons, puzzles, items and boss encounters, is the actual gameplay (combat) similar to Zelda? Does it also use a lock-on feature in combat?

I ask about the gameplay because I remember reading at least one of the reviews that indicated the controls are a bit overly complex. Which concerns me a bit.

the control is not complex, take for example the sword, the primary weapon, it only maps to one button. And I think there's only 7-8 basic combo. You can chain the combo easily with the secondary weapon which maps to another button.

Mejilan

Hobbun said:

It has a Zelda-style lock on system. Hell, locking on even causes Zelda-style letterboxing to occur! Haha. Combat is faster and more furious than a Zelda game, though.

Flipside

So nice when you look forward to a game for several years and it doesn't fail to live up to your expectations :D

Just entered the
Ashlands
and the only thing so far that I really don't like are the
the little arena challenges you have to do sometimes to lift a curse

A question for people who finished the game (or are pretty far).
What's the deal with the abyssal armor. I gathered a few pieces just by progressing in the game. Will there be something in the game later on so I can actually locate the pieces or do I have to keep searching for them myself. I figure you want the armor ASAP since there is no game+ where it could benefit you.

Hobbun

Ok, thanks for the replies. I think I will probably get this one. I didn't even know about until seeing the official thread.

Ridley327

Flipside said:
So nice when you look forward to a game for several years and it doesn't fail to live up to your expectations :D

Just entered the
Ashlands
and the only thing so far that I really don't like are the
the little arena challenges you have to do sometimes to lift a curse

A question for people who finished the game (or are pretty far).
What's the deal with the abyssal armor. I gathered a few pieces just by progressing in the game. Will there be something in the game later on so I can actually locate the pieces or do I have to keep searching for them myself. I figure you want the armor ASAP since there is no game+ where it could benefit you.

For any collectible in the game, there's a legendary weapon rune that you can acquire in
the Black Throne
that will show the location of EVERY chest and artifact in an area, including non-dungeon areas. It also generates Wrath with every hit, so you can abuse the holy hell out of Stoneskin and become a god.

Mejilan

YES!! YES!! MOTHERFUCKER, YES!!
Finally got the Aerial Predator kill... with like 180 kills total! A far cry from the usual 150-155 I was managing yesterday!

Tokubetsu

Ridley327 said:
For any collectible in the game, there's a legendary weapon rune that you can acquire in
the Black Throne
that will show the location of EVERY chest and artifact in an area, including non-dungeon areas. It also generates Wrath with every hit, so you can abuse the holy hell out of Stoneskin and become a god.

What the flying fuck? How the fuck did I miss this? I AM SO GOD DAMN FUCKING ANGRY RIGHT NOW. I'm sitting here, going through every areas and looking for shit on my own, hoping I catch something I didnt already clean out already.

MMaRsu

Tokubetsu said:
What the flying fuck? How the fuck did I miss this? I AM SO GOD DAMN FUCKING ANGRY RIGHT NOW. I'm sitting here, going through every areas and looking for shit on my own, hoping I catch something I didnt already clean out already.

:lol Yeah fuck Darksiders man, where's that thread?

Ridley327

Tokubetsu said:

It's actually really easy to miss since it's very carefully tucked away in
the first tower you enter. It's in the room near the top where you have to step on the switch to activate the bridge; get to the middle of the bridge and look to your right; you'll see a portal opening that you can shoot.

Tokubetsu

Ridley327 said:
It's actually really easy to miss since it's very carefully tucked away in
the first tower you enter. It's in the room near the top where you have to step on the switch to activate the bridge; get to the middle of the bridge and look to your right; you'll see a portal opening that you can shoot.

I hate you for telling me this. I was fine being ignorant.

forrest

formerly nacire
Hobbun said:

Your main sword is mapped to square, two secondary weapons mapped to triangle and your gear items/weapons R2. When your locked on to an enemy you can use any of your ranged gear items without having to manually aim, a la Zelda's boomerang, slingshot, bow, hookshot, etc. Throw in the ability to change out the mapped weapons in realtime with the touch of a button and you have a very versatile system for weapon variety mid-combat.

R1 acts as a dodge/block button that I would compare to Link's ability to sidestep and backflip while locked on. The mechanic is that when R1 is depressed you block, block at the last moment and you execute a counter attack. Move the left stick while R1 is depressed and you will dash/dodge in the direction pressed.

I haven't had a lot of issues blocking that some people report, but I would have to add that it's tricky because you cannot be touching the left thumbstick at all and you can only block certain attacks. Learning what you can and cannot block is part of the game. It's a safe bet that if it is a big and nasty attack you are better off just avoiding it altogether with a dodge.

The only issue I had at first were with the items that require you to manually aim, but that is usually related to puzzle elements when you aren't dodging 8 enemies at once. Think Link queuing up multiple targets with the boomerang.

Overall, I really like this combat system as I don't feel I'm button mashing and on apocalyptic I really have to respect the tougher enemy types and fight them accordingly. And when you're in the zone, it just flows and you feel like a badass.

LOVING THIS. Or, I was, until the difficulty spiked in
The Black Throne
and it started to really irritate me. I want to get past, but some of these puzzles... My head just doesn't seem to work the right way.

The one where you have the enormous turning blocks and the
portal pads on them
is just ruining me. I cannot work it out.

Also, out of interest, how far through the game is this area? It feels like it's winding down, sort of...

whatevermort said:
Also, out of interest, how far through the game is this area? It feels like it's winding down, sort of...
Last dungeon with a little bit of end game left, according to some people here. Just got there my self.
TrAcEr_x90 said:
man i just got my ass handed to me on the angel part with ulthane. I read i need to hide behind the ice things for cover.
Yeah and spam charged up shots.

Sydle

TrAcEr_x90 said:
man i just got my ass handed to me on the angel part with ulthane. I read i need to hide behind the ice things for cover.

Just got through with that part. Definitely take cover and watch your back.

so putting those emblems on your weapons? is that a one time deal? or you can switch them out? I only have one, and it wont let me take it out. Is it when im able to buy another one that i can switch it?

TrAcEr_x90 said:
so putting those emblems on your weapons? is that a one time deal? or you can switch them out? I only have one, and it wont let me take it out. Is it when im able to buy another one that i can switch it?
Yup you can swap them out and between weapons at any time.

Pimpbaa

Man this feels like playing another Soul Reaver game. Except with far better gameplay. Story isn't as good tho, but it's gameplay that counts.

EzLink

Banned
So there is an item that
shows you were all of the treasure chests you missed are? Meaning collecting all of the abyssal armor pieces and life shards and wrath cores will be very easy once this item is obtained?

Future

Came very close to quitting this game when I was forced to kill XX enemies in certain ways to pass certain sections
curse
. Didnt help that the challenges were miles away from each other. My patience for crap like that is wearin thin. Old and bitter gamer now, heh

Canova

Banned
TrAcEr_x90 said:

I picked up the gun and started doing the FPS-thingy. Then I got destroyed. I shoulda known better since I suck in FPS.

I said screw this. I went DMC-NG-melee style and just destroyed the angels.

Q8D3vil

i need some help
collecting the sword shards now , some places are unexplored , thus i can use the tunnel , how i can reach them ?!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Tokubetsu said:

MMaRsu said:
You're fucked? I'm fucked. I dont feel like replaying half a fucking dungeon man.

:lol

Should have looked at an achievement guide! I got it at the first opportunity!

Tokubetsu

ZealousD said:
:lol

Should have looked at an achievement guide! I got it at the first opportunity!

I guess now theres no reason to hold off my play through. I was gonna do a normal run through for the aerial achievement ANYWAY.

Hobbun

nacire said:
Your main sword is mapped to square, two secondary weapons mapped to triangle and your gear items/weapons R2. When your locked on to an enemy you can use any of your ranged gear items without having to manually aim, a la Zelda's boomerang, slingshot, bow, hookshot, etc. Throw in the ability to change out the mapped weapons in realtime with the touch of a button and you have a very versatile system for weapon variety mid-combat.

R1 acts as a dodge/block button that I would compare to Link's ability to sidestep and backflip while locked on. The mechanic is that when R1 is depressed you block, block at the last moment and you execute a counter attack. Move the left stick while R1 is depressed and you will dash/dodge in the direction pressed.

I haven't had a lot of issues blocking that some people report, but I would have to add that it's tricky because you cannot be touching the left thumbstick at all and you can only block certain attacks. Learning what you can and cannot block is part of the game. It's a safe bet that if it is a big and nasty attack you are better off just avoiding it altogether with a dodge.

The only issue I had at first were with the items that require you to manually aim, but that is usually related to puzzle elements when you aren't dodging 8 enemies at once. Think Link queuing up multiple targets with the boomerang.

Overall, I really like this combat system as I don't feel I'm button mashing and on apocalyptic I really have to respect the tougher enemy types and fight them accordingly. And when you're in the zone, it just flows and you feel like a badass.

It's good to hear that manually aiming is not required for combat. That would be too frustrating. It can be frustrating enough in Zelda at times when manually aiming, which I find is easier than most games.

Now in Zelda, the boomerang does "lock on" (or it can, if you are close enough). So this game doesn't have that option? I hope trying to manually aim isn't as much of a pain as in Zelda. I know I had tried to use my boomerang in Zelda a couple of times when trying to retrieve Gold Skulltula tokens and you had the line that 'rang up EXACTLY to get the token.

How long would you say the game is? Something equivalent to OoT or more (or less)?

Alright, going insane. Can somebody please explain how I do the second beam in the
Black Throne
? The one with the two big spinning columns. It's driving me insane. INSANE.

ZealousD

whatevermort said:
Alright, going insane. Can somebody please explain how I do the second beam in the
Black Throne
? The one with the two big spinning columns. It's driving me insane. INSANE.

The part with the moving columns over the bottomless gap? Just get one portal on each column.

Q8D3vil

maybe someone will notice me now

i need some help

collecting the sword shards now , some places are unexplored , thus i can use the tunnel , how i can reach them ?!

so no one bought the darksiders guide??? I normally dont buy those, but i wanted to support vigil and they were giving like 15 percent off if you bought darksiders with it. It helps a toooon. I play a section then go back and see what i missed with the guide.

I think ive spent about 8 hours, and thats been only doing one dungeon and meeting ulthane.

Firestorm

Amir0x said:
I just beat The Hollows. Really disappointing dungeon. The puzzles were ridiculously simple, the boss was extremely easy, the design showcased none of that clever little spark that Twilight Cathedral occasionally had. Even the setting wasn't particularly memorable. Definitely not on par with a Zelda dungeon there.

Onto the Ashlands.
Ashlands is almost all combat and very little puzzles. I didn't even realize I was in the dungeon until halfway when I realized I'd been there a long time. I thought it was part of the overworld >.>

Booser

Onto the Ashlands.

The Hollows was good but its my least favourite of the dungeons so far. Twilight Cathedral is awesome and the Ashlands is much more combat orientated, esp once you get past
the drill puzzle and into the gladiator arena where you get Ruin. After that the place is just pure spectacle. The boss fight is very easy but still looks and feels so fucking cool

So far the Black Throne is fucking evil puzzle wise. Im just after activating the first beam and got it back into the room I got the portal gun. But now I cant get back out. Fucking portals.

Tokubetsu said:
I guess now theres no reason to hold off my play through. I was gonna do a normal run through for the aerial achievement ANYWAY.
Pft its so incredibly early on in black temple its not even funny.

Edit: I guess you also missed out on the hoarder or whatever its called because it would have showed you that you that there is a chest you missed on the map.

eXistor

The dungeons are fun to play, but you can't really compare them to a Zelda dungeon I think. It's always very obvious where you have to go. You reach a new room, you instantly are told what to do, you do it and you reach the next room. It just repeats like this. You don't ever have to look on the map. Only the Twilight Cathedral was close to being a proper dungeon (I just came out of the Ashlands).

As much as the game apes Zelda, it never ever gets close to being as good. Don't get me wrong, I like the game and I think it's very fun, but the fact that it tries to be so much like Zelda is really hurting the game in some ways.

John

I'm an hour or two into the tower, game's starting to wear down a bit. This is a showcase in how much level aesthetics make or break a fun game.

ZealousD said:
The part with the moving columns over the bottomless gap? Just get one portal on each column.

Okay, but then how do I get into the portal? I mean, I use the pad on the side wall to open a portal on the first column; where the heck do I go from there?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Hobbun said:
I love Zelda as well. So besides the dungeons, puzzles, items and boss encounters, is the actual gameplay (combat) similar to Zelda?
It has a lock on, but then it also features a tedious combo system so you get to hack at enemies forever before they die.

John said:
I'm an hour or two into the tower, game's starting to wear down a bit. This is a showcase in how much level aesthetics make or break a fun game.
Well that depends on the game entirely. In the case of fallout 3 yeah even lousy fps mechanics didn't really detract from the game because the exploration was entertaining. On the other hand if the game is more heavily focused on combat then the flow of the level and the enemy design is much more important than any kind of visual aesthetics.

ZealousD

whatevermort said:
Okay, but then how do I get into the portal? I mean, I use the pad on the side wall to open a portal on the first column; where the heck do I go from there?

Oh, you mean you haven't actually got the beam running yet? You're just trying to cross? First, shoot one portal onto the first spinning column. Then shoot one onto the pad on the wall. Then, look through the portal on the wall. Eventually, you'll see the two columns meet and you'll see the other portal pad through the portal on the wall. Shoot a charged portal shot through the portal so that it hits the portal pad on the second moving column. This should clear the portal on the first spinning column. Then you can jump through the portal when the second moving column reaches the other side.

Top Bottom