• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Spruchy said:
Oh cool if this game couldn't get anymore redundant they throw a huge backtracking quest at you.

Rats off to ya.

Redundant?

The Black Throne is easily the worst and most annoying experience I've ever had in a videogame. It just felt so artificially lengthened

What the what?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Firestorm said:
Just got
Ruin and killed the worm which I thought was the boss but it wasn't
. How much longer 'til I'm done this dungeon? @_@ Trying to figure out if I should just press on or if I should do it tomorrow.

Really close to the end.

KevinCow

Banned
Spruchy said:
This game is so original, I loved that part with all the portals where did they come with this shit??

I don't think you understand what redundant means.

And on top of that, I don't see how copying awesome games is in any way a bad thing.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I'm loving this game. One thing that has annoyed me a bit is the response timing of the jump button. Several times I swear I hit the double jump in time yet it doesn't do it. That's my one complaint so far.

Love the game. Don't think it's very original but it is a lot of fun.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Abyssal Armor completed. War looks downright evil with it on. Only one Lifestone and Wrathcore and the remaining enhancements to go. And whatever that bottom slot is on the character page.

Tokubetsu

_tetsuo_ said:
Abyssal Armor completed. War looks downright evil with it on. Only one Lifestone and Wrathcore and the remaining enhancements to go. And whatever that bottom slot is on the character page.

I really wish I could somehow reveal the shit I missed haha. At this point, its already kinda rough going everywhere again to get stuff.

I'm loving this game. One thing that has annoyed me a bit is the response timing of the jump button. Several times I swear I hit the double jump in time yet it doesn't do it. That's my one complaint so far.

The same has happened to me a couple of times to.

I just finished off the Griever. I like all the boss fights but I'm still not a fan of the normal combat. But it's the puzzles that are whats keeping me playing. So fun.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
KevinCow said:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/egamia/images/e/eb/The_four_horsemen_by_windlordofsuldor.jpg

They also appear a bit in the Gamestop preorder comic.

It's worth noting that they changed Famine and Pestilence to Fury and Strife for some reason. And Death being huge and muscular is a bit odd for a character typically portrayed as a skeleton. Still, I like the designs.

You're right though, it was a tease. An EPIC tease, but a tease nonetheless.
I thought it would help, but you just made the wait harder. Too be honest, I'm more interested in the green guy the most. That, and how the gameplay will change. Co-op? Character switching? Different story lines?

Sidzed2

MMaRsu said:
Maybe he sucks at games like the Giantbomb crew, going back where they came from and getting overall lost :lol .

I <3 giantbomb btw, but still. :p.

Hmmm, maybe I suck at games? Well, maybe I do, because there is a bucketload of aimless wandering in Darksiders. The levels all look good, but half the time you're forced to traipse around on foot through identical-looking sewers and tunnels and broken highways in search of item X, Y or Z. In my opinion, a few sections of Darksiders are boring and unfocussed. But no, it's easier for you to blindly defend the game and decide that I probably suck.

Plus, the game's map system is dodgy and the late game fetch quest is SO UTTERLY DULL AND PROTRACTED it beggars belief. Late game fetch quests should be outlawed. Bad game designer, BAD!

However, for all the crap I have given the boss fights, the final real dungeon (the longest and most complicated) was great and the end boss (despite all the criticism in reviews, etc) was pretty terrific.

Overall, it's still weaker than the sum of all its inspirations, but a good time for the most part. Definitely a 7.5 to an 8 out of 10 to me.

MMaRsu

Sidzed2 said:
Hmmm, maybe I suck at games? Well, maybe I do, because there is a bucketload of aimless wandering in Darksiders. The levels all look good, but half the time you're forced to traipse around on foot through identical-looking sewers and tunnels and broken highways in search of item X, Y or Z. In my opinion, a few sections of Darksiders are boring and unfocussed. But no, it's easier for you to blindly defend the game and decide that I probably suck.

Plus, the game's map system is dodgy and the late game fetch quest is SO UTTERLY DULL AND PROTRACTED it beggars belief. Late game fetch quests should be outlawed. Bad game designer, BAD!

However, for all the crap I have given the boss fights, the final real dungeon (the longest and most complicated) was great and the end boss (despite all the criticism in reviews, etc) was pretty terrific.

Overall, it's still weaker than the sum of all its inspirations, but a good time for the most part. Definitely a 7.5 to an 8 out of 10 to me.

sure thing man o_O

Ricker

Ninja Face said:
Damnit I was about to get my horsie when I got the 2 red lights. :(

Sorry about that man and speaking of,a little further after that,at the first Worm fight,I thought my 360 would RROD,I haven`t seen slowdowns like in that fight since old Smuphs on the SNES ;) ..it was scary.

Sidzed2

MMaRsu said:
sure thing man o_O

It just grinds my gears when someone tries to raise a criticism and gets accused of sucking. I may well suck, but damn it, that does not mean that the game is flawless.

Remember, INTRNT IZ SERZ BIZNS.

MMaRsu

Sidzed2 said:
It just grinds my gears when someone tries to raise a criticism and gets accused of sucking. I may well suck, but damn it, that does not mean that the game is flawless.

Remember, INTRNT IZ SERZ BIZNS.

grinds-my-gears1.jpg

:p

Well I installed the game to the hard drive and now 360 isn't red ringing. I love the horse but I really wish there were larger places where you can use it. Way too much running into walls and such. Just beat the fourth dungeon. A little annoyed because I like to run around with whatever new gadget the game gives you but it ended up throwing me right into the 5th dungeon when I returned to Samael.

Xater

Ninja Face said:
Well I installed the game to the hard drive and now 360 isn't red ringing. I love the horse but I really wish there were larger places where you can use it. Way too much running into walls and such. Just beat the fourth dungeon. A little annoyed because I like to run around with whatever new gadget the game gives you but it ended up throwing me right into the 5th dungeon when I returned to Samael.

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to run around after that one.

bestami

I've beaten the game. It was an enjoyable experience all the way through. I am eager to see a sequal. The only regret i have is that i couldn't find 10 pieces to make the abyssal armor. I was anxious to see how it looks.

EzLink

Banned
Hmm, I just defeated Griever and I have two pieces of the armor. Maybe I should just find a guide and get the pieces Ive missed so far+ see where the rest of the pieces are so I can get them along the way. Maybe I should also do this with the life/wrath shards too. Too bad this game doesn't have a system like Arkham Asylum where you get hints to the locations of all hidden items. Every game with collectibles should start doing that, it worked brilliantly in Batman

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Spruchy said:
This game is so original, I loved that part with all the portals where did they come with this shit??
What exactly is wrong with lack of originality anyways? Originality can be a great thing, but games can still be great without it.

The elements present in this game haven't exactly been done to death either, so I don't see a problem.

EzLink said:
Hmm, I just defeated Griever and I have two pieces of the armor. Maybe I should just find a guide and get the pieces Ive missed so far+ see where the rest of the pieces are so I can get them along the way. Maybe I should also do this with the life/wrath shards too. Too bad this game doesn't have a system like Arkham Asylum where you get hints to the locations of all hidden items. Every game with collectibles should start doing that, it worked brilliantly in Batman
Maybe, I got 5 shards of the armor before I killed the Greiver.

Edit: Yeah the gun is definitely the bastard child of all the gear you can get. Only one upgrade and it a rather lousy upgrade as well. Doesn't do that much damage at all and doesn't bring anything usefull to a fight either, feels like a dinky pea shooter.

TheFallen

I wish each abyssal armor piece was equipped individually without having to complete the full set. What's the point when I will have already finished the game? :( Does it carry over into new games? (I'm assuming no)

Haunted

There's not a shred of originality to be found in this game, but fuck, if the execution is as well done as it is here, I don't really mind. Plus, the game Darksiders most obviously draws from (Zelda) hasn't been copied too often anyway.

I really liked what I played, even if it wasn't a lot (finished the Twilight Cathedral).

Game gets a definite recommendation from me.

finally beat the bat queen. god damn that was a long fight and i literally had 1 tiny sliver of health for most of it. i'm not sure how i won the fight, i thought i was doing something wrong because after she lands i started just running around and throwing the ninja star at her, then she'd charge and i'd hit her but it seems like it took 20 minutes to beat her :lol

bosses need life bars!

Picked this up today along with Bayonetta. Played about 1 hour in with each game and I think I'm going to try and finish this one first. Seems more fun and easier to get the hang of while Bayonetta just looked bat shit crazy :lol

Just got started on the quest to find the bat something's heart or whatever and so far so good :D

forrest

formerly nacire
Gameplay wise, yes it borrows from many games, but it's not completely devoid of originality. Vigil has embellished on many of the mechanics which give them a fresh take in my opinion.

Sydle

Finally had the opportunity to give it more time and I'm enjoying a lot about it. Still looking foward to that patch to fix the screen tearing...

JdFoX187

Banned
Okay, I'm stuck in the first dungeon. I'm in
one of the challenges where you have to raise the two swords from the lava to stop the lavafall to get to the next sword.
There's a red wall and I can't figure out how to ignite the bomb I stuck on it. There's no fire, just another hot red bomb above it.

forrest

formerly nacire
JdFoX187 said:
Okay, I'm stuck in the first dungeon. I'm in
one of the challenges where you have to raise the two swords from the lava to stop the lavafall to get to the next sword.
There's a red wall and I can't figure out how to ignite the bomb I stuck on it. There's no fire, just another hot red bomb above it.

I think the gametrailers review could answer your question.

jd fox, you need to make a line of like 5 of those cluster bombs.

so, pick one up, manually target and throw next to the red exploding. then get another bomb and put it next to the first cluster bomb, then another next to that one, then one on the red rock. it will cause a chain reaction of explotions when you hit the first red bomb

Triz

Triz said:
Gaf hype fail?

Playing on PS3. Camera seems really jerky when moving it around, really bothers me when Im trying to focus on shit. Im only about 1 hour into it. Decent game but not so sure it deserves this much praise based on the initial run.

I take it back, spent another couple hours with the game and I see why its revered. Go out and buy this thing so we get a sequel :lol

Okay guys I need help!

The blue spectral bitches are kicking my ass! One alone is okay but two of them is just a pain. They appear and dissapear as they please and blocking their attacks is a pain because if you slightly press a direction, you dodge but don't block at the same time.

Anyone got a strategy for them?

JdFoX187 said:
I never would have thought of that in a million years. Thanks guys.

yeah i sat there for about 10 mins trying to figure it out, then went online to gamefaqs and there were no faqs online and i couldn't accurately describe it in google so i figured it out myself but it took about 15-20 minutes :lol

Just beat tiamat and went back to samael. I just looove the cutscenes. They are just so brutal and badass. Is there any CG cutscenes? Ive seen the intro one, and i know there is a ruin one they had for promotion. Is there any that play during the game?

TheFallen

FrenchMovieTheme said:
finally beat the bat queen. god damn that was a long fight and i literally had 1 tiny sliver of health for most of it. i'm not sure how i won the fight, i thought i was doing something wrong because after she lands i started just running around and throwing the ninja star at her, then she'd charge and i'd hit her but it seems like it took 20 minutes to beat her :lol

bosses need life bars!
They don't actually have health, seemingly. You just have to complete the sequences and get them to the next phase. On the bat boss, You have to throw the bombs at her and then get them to explode until she comes down. Then just avoid her until she charges at you for the QTE, rapid tap B, and then run up to her and slash her a bit. Do this a few times and you're done. That's basically how all the fights go. They're easy once you know how they're done. But that's how it goes in this game. You won't die unless you're sloppy. Every enemy has a pattern.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SketchTheArtist said:
Okay guys I need help!

The blue spectral bitches are kicking my ass! One alone is okay but two of them is just a pain. They appear and dissapear as they please and blocking their attacks is a pain because if you slightly press a direction, you dodge but don't block at the same time.

Anyone got a strategy for them?

The Abyssal Chain drags them to you in a stun. You can block counter all of their attacks, as well.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
im still curious about block. Sometimes his guantlet glows yellow? is that the counter?
When you block there is a kind of a white circle visual effect that appears from the gauntlet. When you counter the game slows down a bit and the circle is orange, I am not sure if you have to hit an attack button or not for the counter attack to happen.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Ya the block counter does a small AOE stun around you and you have to hit attack. The gauntlet glows when you can interact with something.

Xater

Just finished the game. Man that was alot of fun. I have to say though that the final battle was a bit easy with the abysmal armor, even on Apocalyptic. Now I want a sequel where I can play all the Horsemen. :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TheFallen said:
They don't actually have health, seemingly. You just have to complete the sequences and get them to the next phase. On the bat boss, You have to throw the bombs at her and then get them to explode until she comes down. Then just avoid her until she charges at you for the QTE, rapid tap B, and then run up to her and slash her a bit. Do this a few times and you're done. That's basically how all the fights go. They're easy once you know how they're done. But that's how it goes in this game. You won't die unless you're sloppy. Every enemy has a pattern.

I don't think the Tiamat B sequence is necessary at all, I only saw it once or twice. I was constantly in her face, which ended it pretty quickly.

yeah i was running that sequence with tiamat for like 15 minutes, then i finally decided to run up to her and do like one combo and it finished the fight.

EzLink

Banned
The Felo said:
It does carry over. It's the only thing that carries over :p

Wait really? That's totally badass. Would it even carry over if I get everything on my first playthrough on normal difficulty if I play it again on apocalyptic?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
One thing this game really could have benefited from was some type of combat arena . As it stands right now, there is absolutely no good place to get weapon levels and souls end game.

Oyashiro

I think I'm gonna go pick this game up today. I've only seen a 3 minute or so preview of it, and it seems to be really cool! There aren't many Zelda-like games as far as I know, so it will definitely be a nice deviation from my other games. Just a few questions though...

How long did it take you guys to go through the main quest/beat the story?
How is the replayability?
Are there any annoying/impossible/online achievements?

Top Bottom